ADVERTISEMENT

Idea to improve the Crossroad Classic

MrBing

All-Big Ten
Apr 25, 2011
I think it's a great idea:

The Crossroads Classic has included only four teams in its history, despite there being 10 NCAA Division 1 teams in the state in IU, Purdue, Notre Dame, Butler, IUPUI, Ball State, Evansville, Indiana State, Fort Wayne and Valparaiso. It’s tough to say the event showcases college basketball in the state when less than half of the teams in said state are in the event.

So, why not add those mid-majors to the Crossroads Classic? They could bring to the event what mid-major teams typically bring to the NCAA Tournament — madness.

Whether it’s UMBC taking down one-seed Virginia, George Mason making a run to the Final Four, Butler reaching the national title game or
countless other occurrences, mid-major teams have provided some of the greatest moments in college basketball history.

They could potentially do something similar for the Crossroads Classic.

He then describes a workable tournament format which I think could be very popular.

Reactions: T.M.P.
This article is a touch old, I think, but I love the idea.

I wish we'd try to schedule as many Indiana D1 teams as will play us. I'd agree to go to their gyms sometimes. It would help with recruiting in some areas, and if we lose, well...we get what we deserve.

Reactions: kmathum and MrBing
Personally, if you want to improve it, get rid of Notre Dame and Butler and replace them with Kentucky and Louisville.

Also, that classic continues to remain in existence because of Indiana fans. Any year that would see Indiana take a loss and not make it to Bankers Life would show a huge drop in interest. Purdue, Notre Dame, and Butler do not have the type of pull to make that game popular in early December without IU being there.

Last edited:
Reactions: IUgradman
If Louisville and Kentucky want to start a Indiana vs Kentucky 4 team series that would be great too.

Reactions: baileyiu
Personally, if you want to improve it, get rid of Notre Dame and Butler and replace them with Kentucky and Louisville.

Also, that classic continues to remain in existence because of Indiana fans. Any year that would see Indiana take a loss and not make it to Bankers Life would show a huge drop in interest. Purdue, Notre Dame, and Butler do not have the type of pull to make that game popular in early December without IU being there.
Leave UK and UL out of it. I'm for anything the promotes playing the instate mid majors instead of the crap schools that come to get blown out for a nice pay day. I don't think it needs to be a tournament as ISU and UE already play each other twice as IU and Purdue will do in the future. Conference tournament match ups could mean the potential to play 4 times in a season.

Why get rid of Butler? They draw second among the four teams and have a good record.

I like the idea of bringing in UL And KY although KY fans are simply abominable to be around. Have IU rotate all through all three with the off two years being the home and home KY games

Whatever they do they need to fix the gate distribution as right now Butler ND and PU eat from the IU trough while IU sells the seats, sponsorships and media packages.

Get rid of it altogether. IU fans make up the bulk of the attendees but the four schools split the revenue equally. If you go to this event you are subsidizing Purdue athletics. Schedule a neutral site game with a blueblood instead.

Reactions: 82hoosier
Whatever they do they need to fix the gate distribution as right now Butler ND and PU eat from the IU trough while IU sells the seats, sponsorships and media packages.

Get rid of it altogether. IU fans make up the bulk of the attendees but the four schools split the revenue equally. If you go to this event you are subsidizing Purdue athletics. Schedule a neutral site game with a blueblood instead

This is my major issue with the event. At least if you added another big name school from nearby, you might have them actually contribute equally to attendance.

Reactions: IUgradman
Have Indiana and Kentucky in the event and then alternate UNC, Duke, UCLA, Kansas, Arizona, Michigan St., etc. as the other opponent and then play the games at Lucas Oil. Indianapolis would be the center of college b-ball attention for a weekend.

Have Indiana and Kentucky in the event and then alternate UNC, Duke, UCLA, Kansas, Arizona, Michigan St., etc. as the other opponent and then play the games at Lucas Oil. Indianapolis would be the center of college b-ball attention for a weekend.
Might as well add the Warriors, Cavs and Rockets. I'm betting they're about as willing to do a tourney in our backyard as the teams you mentioned.

Get rid of it altogether. IU fans make up the bulk of the attendees but the four schools split the revenue equally. If you go to this event you are subsidizing Purdue athletics. Schedule a neutral site game with a blueblood instead.
Totally agree, plus the cost of $80 for a ticket is unreasonable. You pay to see both games and very few people want to see both games. We could schedule a game against ND or Butler at Bankers Life and probably sell it out for $40-50 a ticket and IU fans would have great seats.

Reactions: IUgradman and 76-1
Might as well add the Warriors, Cavs and Rockets. I'm betting they're about as willing to do a tourney in our backyard as the teams you mentioned.

I don't know. Several of those teams take part in the Champions Classic. You would not get them every year but I bet you could get a good group that would be willing to come play IU or Kentucky in that environment.

How about a 4 team event with Indiana, ND, Kentucky and Louisville? We can call it the Big 4 Classic and charge everyone under 35 double because they think it is new.

How about it going to an 8 team field consisting of: IU, PU, ND, Butler, UK, UL, Xavier and Cincy. Random draw for who plays who in first round. Make it a 3 day tourney and everyone plays 3 games. Winners stay in the winners bracket and losers square off next round and repeat for next round. Make this a fairly loaded and exciting tourney while at the same time keeping it interesting for the fans.

How about it going to an 8 team field consisting of: IU, PU, ND, Butler, UK, UL, Xavier and Cincy. Random draw for who plays who in first round. Make it a 3 day tourney and everyone plays 3 games. Winners stay in the winners bracket and losers square off next round and repeat for next round. Make this a fairly loaded and exciting tourney while at the same time keeping it interesting for the fans.

That might happen once but doubtful any eight programs would burn three NC games repetitively.

ADVERTISEMENT