ADVERTISEMENT

I was very happy to read that the US Women's National Soccer Team got

So, you hold yourself up as a huge supporter of the game and you wanted your national team to lose? Got it.

It's too bad that you've become so bitter. Good luck getting over your insecurities about the success of the USWNT. I look forward to the time when our men's team has the kind of success that our women's team has. They are making progress and I'm excited about the future of the game here.
Only this group of players. As soon as they're out many of us will go back to supporting the uswnt. this is a greedy crew that doesn't give two-shits about the country or "the national team." they care about promoting themselves and getting paid. if you think otherwise you're delusional. they don't go to the white house. they don't stand for the national anthem. yet they're the "national team." they should have all been kicked off. entitled, cry babies that are largely lousy soccer players.

as for the men we won't see it in our lives unless we nationalize a bunch of foreigners like weah's kid. our pay to play system is broken. and our coaching isn't remotely on par with other countries. the great barcelona/spain teams had pep guardiola as their youth coach. our youth teams have coaches who played at northern illinois. not a knock on northern illinois but just an example of how far off our coaching still is for the men to be relevant.

I immediately thought "Dream Team anyone?" when I read his list.
Dream team for sure, but the other countries in basketball were still far more advanced than most of what the US women play. the US women literally played games in the world cup against part-time players who didn't even have leagues to play in.

I played D1 soccer. Played in the D1 NCAA tournament. Played professionally. Was in the first MLS Combines. Played with more than a half dozen players that have played on our national team in world cups. enjoy the view from the seats. you don't have a clue what you're watching.

Do you know Terry Cook? He lives in Denver and we have visited a few times. Funny guy with a million stories.

Do you know Terry Cook? He lives in Denver and we have visited a few times. Funny guy with a million stories.
I don't but i clicked your link. It's crazy how many of those english soccer guys have come over here. my old college team was almost all english players. these guys don't get rich but they have nice easy lives doing what they love.

LOL yeah i'm a soccer nut. i'm too dumb to link the salient part but there's a fantastic simpson's episode where soccer comes to springfield. the city is super pumped and they sell out the stadium. when the game starts they're all on their feet screaming wildly. then they show the game and two guys just keep passing it back and forth. slowly but surely the crowd begins to sit down until eventually they all sit. a silence sweeps over the entire stadium until i think it's krusty the clown stands up and yells: DO SOMETHING!

there are a ton of really funny digs in the episode.

When I rarely think of soccer, it is this one.

Only this group of players. As soon as they're out many of us will go back to supporting the uswnt. this is a greedy crew that doesn't give two-shits about the country or "the national team." they care about promoting themselves and getting paid. if you think otherwise you're delusional. they don't go to the white house. they don't stand for the national anthem. yet they're the "national team." they should have all been kicked off. entitled, cry babies that are largely lousy soccer players.

as for the men we won't see it in our lives unless we nationalize a bunch of foreigners like weah's kid. our pay to play system is broken. and our coaching isn't remotely on par with other countries. the great barcelona/spain teams had pep guardiola as their youth coach. our youth teams have coaches who played at northern illinois. not a knock on northern illinois but just an example of how far off our coaching still is for the men to be relevant.
Seems like declining the White House visit is the new norm, so you could throw that one out.

ah I get it Marv, you only want equality to be a one way street

So you never played in a 6ft and under league, D league softball, used a handicap in golf or bowling? You are young enough, your high school probably played class sports. There are different classes for football in the NCAA. There are A, AA, AAA baseball leagues. We divide out men all the time in sports. All the time. The moment you suggest we eliminate all these male divisions, we can take the misogynyst idea more seriously.

Reactions: hoosboot
So you never played in a 6ft and under league, D league softball, used a handicap in golf or bowling? You are young enough, your high school probably played class sports. There are different classes for football in the NCAA. There are A, AA, AAA baseball leagues. We divide out men all the time in sports. All the time. The moment you suggest we eliminate all these male divisions, we can take the misogynyst idea more seriously.

I’m fine with that. Why don’t you seem to be?

Fine. Can’t think of any other national teams that have won anything recently to be honest. Winners of the NBA, NFL, and MLB are on par in my opinion
Disagree. There's a difference between wearing Warriors on your Jersey and USA on your jersey. The 80 miracle on ice hockey team was there recently.

so now it’s unfair again and girls should be separated?

Isn't that what I have argued all along. We create all sorts of divisions for sports. You said there should be only one, I thought. I am pointing out there has never been only one even for men. I sure do not recall ever suggesting putting men and women together in a sport not designed for that (tennis mixed doubles for example).

LOL support the women's national team comprised of players that:
1. refuse to stand
2. refuse to go to the white house

Are these two really that important to you? I haven't followed this but it seems there's something more to why you despise this team so much. I have a few guesses, other than what you mentioned, but I don't really care enough to post it. Instead, I'll post this useless comment.

Isn't that what I have argued all along. We create all sorts of divisions for sports. You said there should be only one, I thought. I am pointing out there has never been only one even for men. I sure do not recall ever suggesting putting men and women together in a sport not designed for that (tennis mixed doubles for example).

and shouldn’t AAA players be compensated differently from A players or major league players from HS athletes?

and shouldn’t AAA players be compensated differently from A players or major league players from HS athletes?

They are compensated differently. But as I posted above, the women's national team outdraws the men's in attendance, at least in 2019.

In this thread, I have not argued the women's pay was wrong. There are a lot of factors in pay. The WNBA players cannot make what the men do.

Did those guys get paid for that? Or if they did, did they complain about it? I was young I don’t remember

Just that if men act a certain way, they are "tough" and admired. Women say/do the same things, they are something else.

The dream team mostly played against teams that were light years behind them in training and ability. We never knocked them for it. The women's team is being knocked for that. Why the double standard? If we are going to lessen the women's achievement, let us do the same for the dream team. I would rather celebrate both personally.

Are these two really that important to you? I haven't followed this but it seems there's something more to why you despise this team so much. I have a few guesses, other than what you mentioned, but I don't really care enough to post it. Instead, I'll post this useless comment.

In the context of playing for the USA and this team yes. again, they were and are a whiny, group of self-entitled women who are already making millions for kicking a ball (very poorly) with every advantage conceivable. yet they are arrogant, boastful, and entitled. they know they signed a contract but now want more money because well they just do. and instead of being humble and respectful they were trashy and gloating in beating teams that have players that don't even play full time. they're on a world stage crying about how disadvantaged they are and lack equality while in other countries women can't even attend soccer games much less play. their optics are always bad.

They are compensated differently. But as I posted above, the women's national team outdraws the men's in attendance, at least in 2019.

In this thread, I have not argued the women's pay was wrong. There are a lot of factors in pay. The WNBA players cannot make what the men do.
And Marvin the fact that the men are obviously way better than the women isn't dispositive to me. if the women generate more profits i'm all for them being paid more than the men. what i can't stand is how disingenuous they are in acting like this is an equality issue to the media etc. the discovery showed that they had been involved in extensive negotiations for the agreement they signed and now simply have buyer's remorse. too bad. they gave up bonuses for guaranteed pay. they blew it. now don't come back and whine about it.

In the context of playing for the USA and this team yes. again, they were and are a whiny, group of self-entitled women who are already making millions for kicking a ball (very poorly) with every advantage conceivable. yet they are arrogant, boastful, and entitled. they know they signed a contract but now want more money because well they just do. and instead of being humble and respectful they were trashy and gloating in beating teams that have players that don't even play full time. they're on a world stage crying about how disadvantaged they are and lack equality while in other countries women can't even attend soccer games much less play. their optics are always bad.
Seems like a lot of people disagree with you, since this team had quite a following and became household names and role models to millions of little girls. As Marv said, many of the same traits we admire in men is suddenly a reason to hate the women’s team. I haven’t followed the pay issue so can’t comment on that, but I have to say watching this team was one of my favorite part of the Olympics.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrHoops
Seems like a lot of people disagree with you, since this team had quite a following and became household names and role models to millions of little girls. As Marc said, many of the same traits we admire in men is suddenly a reason to hate the women’s team. I haven’t followed the pay issue so can’t comment on that, but I have to say watching this team was one of my favorite part of the Olympics.
Lots do disagree. I would also comfortably say lots can’t stand them. Read the comments on any article about them.

Seems like a lot of people disagree with you, since this team had quite a following and became household names and role models to millions of little girls. As Marc said, many of the same traits we admire in men is suddenly a reason to hate the women’s team. I haven’t followed the pay issue so can’t comment on that, but I have to say watching this team was one of my favorite part of the Olympics.

What traits are admired in men that are a reason to hate the women’s team? I admire their skill and accomplishments. And I am proud they won the worlds. But take soccer out of the picture and Rapinoe has turned herself into a another faux victim of a sport and a political system where she was able to become the world’s best. The list of countries where she could have done that is a damn short list.

What traits are admired in men that are a reason to hate the women’s team? I admire their skill and accomplishments. And I am proud they won the worlds. But take soccer out of the picture and Rapinoe has turned herself into a another faux victim of a sport and a political system where she was able to become the world’s best. The list of countries where she could have done that is a damn short list.
Absolutely. The optics of this team at the world cup was embarrassing.

I haven’t followed the pay issue so can’t comment on that, but I have to say watching this team was one of my favorite part of the Olympics.
Would have been more fun if they were playing some real sport.

And Marvin the fact that the men are obviously way better than the women isn't dispositive to me. if the women generate more profits i'm all for them being paid more than the men. what i can't stand is how disingenuous they are in acting like this is an equality issue to the media etc. the discovery showed that they had been involved in extensive negotiations for the agreement they signed and now simply have buyer's remorse. too bad. they gave up bonuses for guaranteed pay. they blew it. now don't come back and whine about it.

Right, and I am not really disagreeing with you on the pay point. There were two other parts to this case, the women complained they were forced onto artificial turf more often, the court threw that out. They complained about second class transportation and hotels, the court let that go on. Any opinions on those?

Right, and I am not really disagreeing with you on the pay point. There were two other parts to this case, the women complained they were forced onto artificial turf more often, the court threw that out. They complained about second class transportation and hotels, the court let that go on. Any opinions on those?
I don't know the details or facts of that but if true they should win and deserve to win.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Would have been more fun if they were playing some real sport.

or playing in bikinis ... Alex Morgan

giphy.gif

Reactions: UncleMark

Well...this sure looks like a lot of the current players at the White House.

october-27-2015-president-obama-poses-with-the-uswnt-after-being-a-picture-id596938700

And this sure looks like them standing for the National Anthem.

images

And if your argument is that they "are lousy soccer players", well...let's just say that I'll humbly disagree and I think that most of the people who you claim to be a fan of who played on the USWNT previously would likewise respectfully disagree.

There's obviously something silly happening with you on this. You've lashed out all over the place and called anyone who disagrees with you "delusional". The mirror might be a better place for you to find delusions on this topic.

Reactions: DrHoops and mashnut
Well...this sure looks like a lot of the current players at the White House.

october-27-2015-president-obama-poses-with-the-uswnt-after-being-a-picture-id596938700

And this sure looks like them standing for the National Anthem.

images

And if your argument is that they "are lousy soccer players", well...let's just say that I'll humbly disagree and I think that most of the people who you claim to be a fan of who played on the USWNT previously would likewise respectfully disagree.

There's obviously something silly happening with you on this. You've lashed out all over the place and called anyone who disagrees with you "delusional". The mirror might be a better place for you to find delusions on this topic.
Now you are being as disingenuous as they are. You know with trump they said they refuse to go to the White House. You also know Rapinoe refusing to stand for the anthem. US soccer had to intervene.. Stop being dishonest. As for lousy soccer players they are on par with 14 yr old boys.

Now you are being as disingenuous as they are. You know with trump they said they refuse to go to the White House. You also know Rapinoe refusing to stand for the anthem. US soccer had to intervene.. Stop being dishonest. As for lousy soccer players they are on par with 14 yr old boys.

As I recall, the teenage boys beat them.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

I think you need to look in the mirror again if you want to see someone being disingenuous. You are the one who claimed "they don't stand for the anthem" and "they don't go to the White House. You are the one who hates and demeans all the players on the team because one of them didn't stand for the anthem and because they don't want to do a publicity photo with President Trump. I'm not sure why you conflate visiting the White House with respect for the country, but I respectfully disagree.

And on the 14-year old boys thing, I can see that we're back to your hurt feelings about some perceived slight of men's players because of the USWNT. I'm sorry you're so bitter and irrational about the the way soccer has evolved, but hopefully you'll grow up at some point and learn to put your soccer embarrassment behind you.

Reactions: Circlejoe
I think you need to look in the mirror again if you want to see someone being disingenuous. You are the one who claimed "they don't stand for the anthem" and "they don't go to the White House. You are the one who hates and demeans all the players on the team because one of them didn't stand for the anthem and because they don't want to do a publicity photo with President Trump. I'm not sure why you conflate visiting the White House with respect for the country, but I respectfully disagree.

And on the 14-year old boys thing, I can see that we're back to your hurt feelings about some perceived slight of men's players because of the USWNT. I'm sorry you're so bitter and irrational about the the way soccer has evolved, but hopefully you'll grow up at some point and learn to put your soccer embarrassment behind you.
You sound like you could coach that group of women. You fit right in. Good luck.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT