ADVERTISEMENT

I want the Big Ten to win all non conference games in every sport.

Rotonda Jim

Benchwarmer
Sep 3, 2003
I am a die hard IU fan who lives in Florida. As a 1969 grad, I get the rivalry with Purdue. But I remember how great it was in 1967 because when we beat them to go to the Rose Bowl, they were a really great team. That made our win so much better than beating them had they been mediocre. Doesn't that still hold true today with not only Purdue but with every conference team? I don't want the Big Ten to ever lose a non conference game to anyone. So those who are chastising Purdue for their loss yesterday, please rethink your position. I would rather beat good Big Ten teams than bad ones and when it comes to Purdue, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State and Ohio State, I hope that they are all undefeated when we beat them. Think about how much better beating them would be as compared to losing to them if they are horrible? Those losses would hurt even more and even losing in a close game would be better than losing if they were terrible.

Reactions: Hoosiers Rising
I am a die hard IU fan who lives in Florida. As a 1969 grad, I get the rivalry with Purdue. But I remember how great it was in 1967 because when we beat them to go to the Rose Bowl, they were a really great team. That made our win so much better than beating them had they been mediocre. Doesn't that still hold true today with not only Purdue but with every conference team? I don't want the Big Ten to ever lose a non conference game to anyone. So those who are chastising Purdue for their loss yesterday, please rethink your position. I would rather beat good Big Ten teams than bad ones and when it comes to Purdue, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State and Ohio State, I hope that they are all undefeated when we beat them. Think about how much better beating them would be as compared to losing to them if they are horrible? Those losses would hurt even more and even losing in a close game would be better than losing if they were terrible.

I used to think that but we need to get good first. THEN I am behind that. For now, it's all about recruiting leverage and PU playing bad or vice versa is good for one team or the other.

I involuntarily lept off my couch at 1:30 am.

Couldn’t help it.

DNA.

You evidently have never actually attended a Bucket game up in W Laff. Having done so myself one time too many I hope those jokers lose every game they play...

I want all the BIG teams to win too. But, I'm not going to feel bad just because I'm enjoying the broilee loss.

Reactions: Chriselli
I’m the opposite...Lower tier big 10 teams I could really care less but I always want Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State to lose, every game they play. It does IU absolutely no favors that these teams steamroll through non-conference and conference games every year. They get momentum, it hurts our recruiting, etc. and if we ever want to see IU football higher up the Big Ten ladder these other teams have to start losing.

I want all the BIG teams to win too. But, I'm not going to feel bad just because I'm enjoying the broilee loss.

Purdue will do just fine and so will Northwestern. They both had the most difficult opening games. Next toughest was Wisconsin and they had the league’s most impressive win.

I’m the opposite...Lower tier big 10 teams I could really care less but I always want Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State to lose, every game they play. It does IU absolutely no favors that these teams steamroll through non-conference and conference games every year. They get momentum, it hurts our recruiting, etc. and if we ever want to see IU football higher up the Big Ten ladder these other teams have to start losing.
I'm more the opposite, I feel more threatened by lower level teams and always want them to lose. We need the big boys to win for the national prestige of the conference. With that being said, I cheer for 13 B1G teams during bowl season.

The more these other teams lose the more confidence this IU team should have that they can beat anyone.

Reactions: IUgradman
No, I don't follow this old school thinking. Basically, you support a conference and I support a team. I support IU football.

I remember that game with PU in ‘67...knowing we had to beat a great PU team to go to the Rose Bowl, I was so nervous, I gave my season ticket seat (with my family) to a PU fan (friend of the family.) I couldn’t even bear to listen on radio so I drove around in my car aimlessly for 4 hours until turning the radio back on when I thought the game was over. It was, and I heard the wrap up...ecstatically, but regretfully for being such a chicken-shit that day. Our family attended the Rose Bowl, parade and Paramount Studio tour. Good times, etched permanently (God-willing) in the memory bank of time. BTW, I’m one of those in the camp of never wanting to see PU win (hence, my recollection above). That is why this particular Labor Day Weekend is so sweet-Purdue loses and IU wins, just the way it should always be.

I get what you're saying, but maybe its because you live in Florida that you're not around any puke fans, and that you've forgotten how totally obnoxious they are.

Reactions: 76-1
Purdue will do just fine and so will Northwestern. They both had the most difficult opening games. Next toughest was Wisconsin and they had the league’s most impressive win.

You are actually comparing Stanford to Nevada...?!?!?! Now that's great humor!

Stanford would wax that NV team by 50 and never break a sweat.

Nevada would struggle against most good high school teams...

p u blowing a 31-17 lead to a much weaker team was a meltdown second only to your Auburn game...

Rivals may need to come up with a "Baghdad Bob Award " to recognize posters such as yourself...

Reactions: hookyIU1990
You are actually comparing Stanford to Nevada...?!?!?! Now that's great humor!

Stanford would wax that NV team by 50 and never break a sweat.

Nevada would struggle against most good high school teams...

p u blowing a 31-17 lead to a much weaker team was a meltdown second only to your Auburn game...

Rivals may need to come up with a "Baghdad Bob Award " to recognize posters such as yourself...

It's true! Ball State was destined to be the group of 5 NYD bowl recipient had we not taken them down. See how that works? :)

Are you kidding me? You actually think Nevada was a tough opener? To loop Nevada with Stanford is a joke! Cmon man jeez.

Yes I do. Flying 1750 miles and playing football at 4500 feet elevation in 92 degree temperatures. with a body clock starting time of 9:30 p.m. EDT is a big challenge. Anyone who has ever engaged in strenuous activity at high altitude without a sufficient acclimation period knows that quite well. Last year Missouri beat Wyoming 40-13 at home and this year they lose 37-31 after dominating for one quarter. Nevada was 8-5 last year defeating Oregon State at home and losing to Boise State by 4 points.

Reactions: Chriselli
Yes I do. Flying 1750 miles and playing football at 4500 feet elevation in 92 degree temperatures. with a body clock starting time of 9:30 p.m. EDT is a big challenge. Anyone who has ever engaged in strenuous activity at high altitude without a sufficient acclimation period knows that quite well. Last year Missouri beat Wyoming 40-13 at home and this year they lose 37-31 after dominating for one quarter. Nevada was 8-5 last year defeating Oregon State at home and losing to Boise State by 4 points.
I'll give you the 1750 miles...BUT I lived in Reno and the weather at game time was not that hot. Its desert dry there too. Nevada is not a tough opponent though.

Yep. UCLA and Purdue get the Dumb Award for week 1.

But Purdue choked. UCLA just got beat regular.

Sindelar and Moore got theirs .... and Purdue still lost.
Is there a worrisome lesson in that?

I tend to agree. But I'm smiling while I'm agreeing.

I'm sure Purdue will rebound but I haven't heard anything positive about Plummer. I'm figuring sooner or later they are going to give another qb a go.

I tend to agree. But I'm smiling while I'm agreeing.

I'm laughing at him...:D Using altitude as an excuse... Especially when he knows who he's talking to...

If they played that game at 12,000 feet he might have one legit reason for the 6 million dollar mans gold plated choke job..., but as anyone who has ever spent any serious time expending serious effort at altitude knows (I have) it doesn't become a real factor until you get above 11,000 for most fit humans...

4,500 feet is nothing... Only a 90 year old with a lung disease would struggle at that altitude... That's a Losers Excuse... What a surprise that they're running to use it...:rolleyes:;)

Last edited:

Super simple: No.

There’s really no benefit to conference pride when your team is a perennial cellar dweller. And, even if IU was good, I would still want Purdue to lose every game in every sport for eternity.

Well based on the attendance in Indy on Saturday, I guess the majority of us just have no faith in the program. I guess that fifty years of waiting and waiting and waiting lead to that. I also wish that the media pre season hype (from local IU media) was much more realistic. They had some of us thinking that our players were the next best thing to sliced bread. If Saturday is any indication, they are not. Just saying.

Well based on the attendance in Indy on Saturday, I guess the majority of us just have no faith in the program. I guess that fifty years of waiting and waiting and waiting lead to that. I also wish that the media pre season hype (from local IU media) was much more realistic. They had some of us thinking that our players were the next best thing to sliced bread. If Saturday is any indication, they are not. Just saying.
Yes the hype was there as always. The media is still trying to get a buck or two out of you.

If you have been watching IU has had its best recruiting classes in the last two or three years. They still however lag behind most of the teams in the B1G East. I do think they are getting better and will continue to get to be more competitive in the league, but don’t kid yourself. IU still has a long way to go.

I thought IU showed pretty well for a team with a new OC, a new DC and a RSFreshman QB starting his very first game. They won, which some other teams we know of did not and they have lots and lots to work on. Couldn’t be better in my opinion.

Reactions: 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT