ADVERTISEMENT

I thought Malik….

Woodson referenced us stagnating offensively late in the game, and how he needs to be able to help them with that. I think part of it was Race was in the game for a big chunk of that final push.

Tough decisions for Woody. Race, as limited as he looks, is still probably a better overall defender than Malik is. Malik, quite obviously, is a lot better offensively.

Our offense was hard to watch coming down the stretch last night...but as bad as it was...I think we might have actually increased our lead during that stretch.

Malik is getting better defensively, overall. If he can continue to make strides on that side of the ball, he makes Woody's decision a lot easier.
Al McGuire: "The best thing about freshmen is they become sophomores."

Last edited:
IU is shooting .just over 38% from deep, good for #18 in the nation (same ranking as IU's overall FG efficiency). If one backs Gunn (2-23) and then Race's 3-pt. shooting out of the Team stats, that jumps to 40% and then 42%. Xavier and Utah St. lead the nation at 40.4%. IU hasn't really run anyone out of the gym as yet from range, but they very well could and are shooting well enough to dissuade opposing Coaches from having their teams pack the paint.

These posts are funny. I dig your enthusiasm, but don't you think the coaching staff and trainers have a plan for how much Race should be playing? And if at any time, playing someone more than Race would help IU win, Woody will do so.
I think CMW is extremely loyal to what he thinks are his starting or best 5 and they have gotten minutes despite mistakes that might send other players to the bench for good. Last year, I understood that with Kopp, because I didn't think we had a better option that would help us more, or hurt us less. This year, with the way Malik is playing and RT has been since his return, I believe we have a better option.

Last game, RT scored 6 on 1-6 shooting in 26 minutes with 3 rebounds, 2 TOs, and 4-4 from the line. MR only played 14 minutes but scored 5 with 5 rebounds on 2-4 shooting with 3 TOs. The horrible lob was very poor timing for MR, but otherwise he was more productive in fewer minutes, and had 0 fouls to RT's 2. I think their minutes should probably about be reversed and I think CMW doesn't like making that change with Race as a senior. Purdue stats were closer in minutes: 22 for RT and 20 for MR, but again MR was more productive in less time with fewer fouls and was 3-3. Regardless of who starts, I think it's time to flip their minutes and have RT play less to continue to rehab. I think CMW is slow to make that call, but I think we're better off with MR on the floor more.

Reactions: jmdkhoosier
IU is shooting .just over 38% from deep, good for #18 in the nation (same ranking as IU's overall FG efficiency). If one backs Gunn (2-23) and then Race's 3-pt. shooting out of the Team stats, that jumps to 40% and then 42%. Xavier and Utah St. lead the nation at 40.4%. IU hasn't really run anyone out of the gym as yet from range, but they very well could and are shooting well enough to dissuade opposing Coaches from having their teams pack the paint.
Yeah, we are shooting at a high clip, but don't seem to take enough 3s for the way we are shooting it this year. You could make the argument that we're shooting so well, because we're only taking really open shots. But I think our proficiency has taken us to the place where MK, TG and TB should be hunting shots, JHS taking them when open and set and RT not shooting. I'd like to see us getting 18+ 3 attempts per game. Versus Rutgers we took 12.

Yeah, we are shooting at a high clip, but don't seem to take enough 3s for the way we are shooting it this year. You could make the argument that we're shooting so well, because we're only taking really open shots. But I think our proficiency has taken us to the place where MK, TG and TB should be hunting shots, JHS taking them when open and set and RT not shooting. I'd like to see us getting 18+ 3 attempts per game. Versus Rutgers we took 12.
So, we should hunt for more and shoot more three pointers, while reducing the touches and shots by TJD? I'd prefer to continue feeding TJD and shoot threes selectively as has been done to date.

Reactions: asindc
So, we should hunt for more and shoot more three pointers, while reducing the touches and shots by TJD? I'd prefer to continue feeding TJD and shoot threes selectively as has been done to date.
No, nothing should reduce TJD's touches if he has a decent look. I'd like to see him taking Garza-type shot attempts. I'd just like to see us skew shots by all the others to 3s by MK, TG and TB especially. Even if TJD stays aggressive in looking for his shot, he's likely going to see fewer attempts as teams commit to doubling him non-stop. I think PU, MSU, OSU all played him straight up more often than he's going to see from here on out. If he get's as many attempts in the next several games as he has averaged over the last 5, I'd say it's him being even more aggressive in looking for his shot because I think he's pretty much not going to be covered 1 on 1 except possibly in transition.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
I think CMW is extremely loyal to what he thinks are his starting or best 5 and they have gotten minutes despite mistakes that might send other players to the bench for good. Last year, I understood that with Kopp, because I didn't think we had a better option that would help us more, or hurt us less. This year, with the way Malik is playing and RT has been since his return, I believe we have a better option.

Last game, RT scored 6 on 1-6 shooting in 26 minutes with 3 rebounds, 2 TOs, and 4-4 from the line. MR only played 14 minutes but scored 5 with 5 rebounds on 2-4 shooting with 3 TOs. The horrible lob was very poor timing for MR, but otherwise he was more productive in fewer minutes, and had 0 fouls to RT's 2. I think their minutes should probably about be reversed and I think CMW doesn't like making that change with Race as a senior. Purdue stats were closer in minutes: 22 for RT and 20 for MR, but again MR was more productive in less time with fewer fouls and was 3-3. Regardless of who starts, I think it's time to flip their minutes and have RT play less to continue to rehab. I think CMW is slow to make that call, but I think we're better off with MR on the floor more.
I don't think it's loyalty as much as a matter of trust, especially on the defensive end. That's a tough thing for a coach to get past - especially in tight games. A mistake made on the offensive end results in an empty possession but no more harm than a missed shot. A mistake made on the defensive end leads directly to points by the opponent. As for the rebounds, Race's numbers are going to be down as his mobility is diminished. But if he's still screeening out effectively, those are generally just additional rebounds going to TJD or other IU players.

I don't think it's loyalty as much as a matter of trust, especially on the defensive end. That's a tough thing for a coach to get past - especially in tight games. A mistake made on the offensive end results in an empty possession but no more harm than a missed shot. A mistake made on the defensive end leads directly to points by the opponent. As for the rebounds, Race's numbers are going to be down as his mobility is diminished. But if he's still screeening out effectively, those are generally just additional rebounds going to TJD or other IU players.
This. D1 Coaches aren't making PT decisions based on loyalty.

This. D1 Coaches aren't making PT decisions based on loyalty.
loyalty, trust, RT's mom is hot... you guys can try and figure out the reason, but for at least the last couple games, I think MR has earned more minutes than RT and we'd be better for it. If Race is missing more shots and fouling more, almost all of those mean the other team is getting the ball back and getting extra shot attempts because of it. Plus, I think MR is better able to correct his mistakes, as he seemingly has with fouls over the last couple games, because his body and mind aren't hindering his performance... he's a freshman so he just needs to be coached up and instructed what he needs to do. Plus, I don't feel like Race's defense has been that much better. Omoyuri was taking it right at Race, and I don't think he's been as good a straight up defender as he was before the injury either.

Reactions: papawboog
When you have a great post player, you would be stupid not to feed him. Make the other team double to stop it, which opens up the outside shot or interior pass. These guys should always be ready to shoot when they are open, and if that is what you mean by hunting, then I agree.

I really like how TJD is getting the ball with his face to the basket at the high post. He seems to do well creating off the dribble. Also, less predictable than to dump it every time to him in the low post and wait for the double team to come. He's carrying the team on his back this season.

Reactions: InvisibleHoosier
When you have a great post player, you would be stupid not to feed him. Make the other team double to stop it, which opens up the outside shot or interior pass. These guys should always be ready to shoot when they are open, and if that is what you mean by hunting, then I agree.
I just think we need to work to get more 3s with the rate at which we are making them. When I say hunt, I don't want them taking bad shots, but just work to get more 3s up when you have good looks. I think we only took 6 against UM for instance. Miller and Trey at times look hesitant to me in taking 3s and I also don't think we do a good job of hitting shooters in their pocket and them being squared up and ready to take a shot. I would just like to see us do all we can to get up a higher # of good 3 pt attempts. It may happen organically as I don't think Trayce will see too many more single covers so that might give us a few more good looks during a game too.

I think MR has earned more minutes than RT and we'd be better for it. I

The only person stopping Malik from getting minutes is Malik. If he wants to play prime minutes he needs to cut his foul rate down to 3.5 or lower per 40. It's currently at 8 which is horrible, but much better than it was. fwiw 4.5 is considered foul prone. Plus, there's this thing called defense where he consistently has lapses... He's by far more talented offensively than RT, but basketball is 4 to 1 mental.... Someone said that once, and this is one example of what that meant.

Let the coach, coach. Your job is to sit on ass, and watch.

The only person stopping Malik from getting minutes is Malik. If he wants to play prime minutes he needs to cut his foul rate down to 3.5 or lower per 40. It's currently at 8 which is horrible, but much better than it was. 4.5 is considered foul prone. Plus, there's this thing called defense where he consistently has lapses...

so, one of my fears was that Race could get reinjured by getting rushed back and playing too many minutes when it was obvious he wasn't all the way back yet. Seems like it might be a reasonable concern. Plus, I don't think Mike's reading here and implementing suggestions too frequently.

Reactions: DANC
so, one of my fears was that Race could get reinjured by getting rushed back and playing too many minutes when it was obvious he wasn't all the way back yet. Seems like it might be a reasonable concern. Plus, I don't think Mike's reading here and implementing suggestions too frequently.
Yea, mostly because Jordan got injured...

fwiw - JG also fouls too much over 5 per 40 the last time I looked. We need Race's defense, he may not be a stopper, but at least he knows where to be and when to be there and doesn't foul ..

Malik is going to be a stud but needs a lot of work on the defensive end. When he's locked in, Woodson plays him, plays him in crucial minutes, and lets him finish .. when he's not he sits. Malik is in full control of how much he plays.

btw kudos to Kopp for playing like a senior who understands it's time to play like a man possessed. And our perimeter defense last night was pretty tight, sans a few open 3s from a foreign dude who averages 1.9 ppg.
Enjoy what we're seeing from TJD. We are going to miss it badly next yr.
It will be another 10 years before we see so good.

Yea, mostly because Jordan got injured...

fwiw - JG also fouls too much over 5 per 40 the last time I looked. We need Race's defense, he may not be a stopper, but at least he knows where to be and when to be there and doesn't foul ..

Malik is going to be a stud but needs a lot of work on the defensive end. When he's locked in, Woodson plays him, plays him in crucial minutes, and lets him finish .. when he's not he sits. Malik is in full control of how much he plays.
And that is how I see it.

The only person stopping Malik from getting minutes is Malik. If he wants to play prime minutes he needs to cut his foul rate down to 3.5 or lower per 40. It's currently at 8 which is horrible, but much better than it was. fwiw 4.5 is considered foul prone. Plus, there's this thing called defense where he consistently has lapses... He's by far more talented offensively than RT, but basketball is 4 to 1 mental.... Someone said that once, and this is one example of what that meant.

Fun post. The kid is going to shine next year. Woody is doing a great job developing Malik and you are right, Malik controls his playing time.

I just think we need to work to get more 3s with the rate at which we are making them. When I say hunt, I don't want them taking bad shots, but just work to get more 3s up when you have good looks. I think we only took 6 against UM for instance. Miller and Trey at times look hesitant to me in taking 3s and I also don't think we do a good job of hitting shooters in their pocket and them being squared up and ready to take a shot. I would just like to see us do all we can to get up a higher # of good 3 pt attempts. It may happen organically as I don't think Trayce will see too many more single covers so that might give us a few more good looks during a game too.
I don’t disagree with this

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT