ADVERTISEMENT

I think Trump should be worried about the presidential debates...

This is where the media and trump act like nine year olds. They each focus on a metric that serves their narrative pointing fingers at each other

The fact is that both metrics are real and both are important. This pretending that the other does not exist is simply monarnic.

I despise them both
I’m probably all wet here, but when I distill Trump’s argument, I come up with “the only reason we are doing badly is because we test so much, and the only reason we are doing well is because we test so much.”

A more cynically minded person than myself would cast a jaundiced eye toward the administration’s testing policy. Again, I’m a glass half full guy, but someone without my cheerful demeanor might ask whether the goal of the administration’s testing policy is really to create a large enough denominator to place the US among the world’s elite covid responders.

Last edited:
Reactions: Courtsensetwo
I don't give a damn about Trump. But the media keeps harping that 150k Americans died of COVID. But did they or was it mostly something else that killed them? That's all I want to know.
You are correct, my wife and daughter work on an ICU unit and 80% of the Covid deaths were already predetermined Covid was just the final straw. Many had cancer, severe heart disease or were diabetic when they contracted Covid and most were well into their 70's. I don't know why you try to rationalize anything on this board, lol.

He looked like a goddamn idiot in the debates with Hillary. Why would anyone expect anything different this time?

He's not debating a woman this time. He more than held his own against Jeb, Ted, and Marco. All 3 are good debaters.

You are correct, my wife and daughter work on an ICU unit and 80% of the Covid deaths were already predetermined Covid was just the final straw. Many had cancer, severe heart disease or were diabetic when they contracted Covid and most were well into their 70's. I don't know why you try to rationalize anything on this board, lol.

My mom is in her 70s and diabetic. I don’t harbor any illusions that she’ll live to be 100. But if she were to get Covid, and die 2 weeks from now. You can damn sure bet I’d be blaming her death on Covid.

I fail to see the significance of your argument. So, only the weak are dying, and they are merely dying earlier than expected? Did your wife and daughter give you an estimate of how much life these poor souls were deprived of?

I fail to see the significance of your argument. So, only the weak are dying, and they are merely dying earlier than expected? Did your wife and daughter give you an estimate of how much life these poor souls were deprived of?
Well since my wife and daughter cannot see into the future, they did not tell me how much life was deprived. I'm assuming you have that ability?

My mom is in her 70s and diabetic. I don’t harbor any illusions that she’ll live to be 100. But if she were to get Covid, and die 2 weeks from now. You can damn sure bet I’d be blaming her death on Covid.
I guess the moral to this story is she probably needs to stay home, my father in law is 66 and a diabetic he still gets around but very limited I guess it like the cross he has to bear until their is a vaccine. If he were to pass due to Covid, I would say it was a contributing factor much the same I would if he caught the flu and it caused his untimely death.

Well since my wife and daughter cannot see into the future, they did not tell me how much life was deprived. I'm assuming you have that ability?

So if ANTIFA!!! fire bombs the house of a person with stage 4 cancer, are you cool with that because they were going to die anyway?

If someone dies 1 day before they had to die due to Covid, they lost 1 day of life. That 1 day may mean a ton to that person. Your flippant attitude toward these people being killed by Covid says a lot about you.

WSJ article about Covid vaccine progress showed up on my Facebook feed today. I went to the comments and the vast majority said there is zero chance they will get vaccinated. Every reason you can think of as support. I would say 80 percent said no way. Now there are loads of variables that go into how meaningful this informal info really is but I fear a significant percentage will refuse. We are in a really bad spot.

Reactions: outside shooter
So if ANTIFA!!! fire bombs the house of a person with stage 4 cancer, are you cool with that because they were going to die anyway?

If someone dies 1 day before they had to die due to Covid, they lost 1 day of life. That 1 day may mean a ton to that person. Your flippant attitude toward these people being killed by Covid says a lot about you.
First off your an idiot, so lets get that out there first. Second, I do not have a "flippant" attitude toward anyone passing, I have to hear of heartbreaking situations daily regarding death Covid or not so please save your idiot posts trying to guess anything about me. I have a 23 year old cousin who was given 4 weeks to live so I absolutely know the importance of one more day.

WSJ article about Covid vaccine progress showed up on my Facebook feed today. I went to the comments and the vast majority said there is zero chance they will get vaccinated. Every reason you can think of as support. I would say 80 percent said no way. Now there are loads of variables that go into how meaningful this informal info really is but I fear a significant percentage will refuse. We are in a really bad spot.

Sadly not surprising given all the anti vaxxers and other assorted conspiracy nuts in this country. I’ll be ready to get a vaccine as soon as it has been tested and proven safe and effective.

First off your an idiot, so lets get that out there first. Second, I do not have a "flippant" attitude toward anyone passing, I have to hear of heartbreaking situations daily regarding death Covid or not so please save your idiot posts trying to guess anything about me. I have a 23 year old cousin who was given 4 weeks to live so I absolutely know the importance of one more day.

Please reread what you posted. It seems like several people came to the same conclusion that I did. If I misread your post, my apologies.

I’m also very sorry to hear about your cousin.

I noticed you didn't answer his question.

I'm gonna disagree here. I think there will be nonstop people in the pharmacy wanting to get vaccinated. Gonna need double holsters

Reactions: glmiu11
I'm gonna disagree here. I think there will be nonstop people in the pharmacy wanting to get vaccinated. Gonna need double holsters

Is this likely to be like the flu vaccine which I believe a couple years ago was only 30% effective according to my doctor?

Is this likely to be like the flu vaccine which I believe a couple years ago was only 30% effective according to my doctor?
30% effective because there are dozens of seasonal flu strains, not even considering minor mutations. SARS2-COV is one virus. Yes, it has some minor mutations, but that shouldn't affect the vaccine targeting mechanism. Best guess is high effectiveness. The REAL question & concern is duration of effectiveness, 3 months, a year, 5 years, a lifetime? Too soon to tell.

Let’s say 40 percent opt out, hypothetically. What effect does that have on the general pop and the vaccine’s effectiveness.

I get it, perfectly.

As a Dick Lugar intern/ campaigner, a registered GOP for 20 years, a registered independent for 18 years, and a registered Dem for now 9 months, I see all sides.

We have good hospitals, good doctors, good nurses, and they all learned a lot on the fly so that our death is per capita 5x rather than 6x as high as it should be, if our national response had been average.

This is despite our medical professionals making do with 3rd world PPE supplies for a long time, due to executive branch incompetence.
You must not have lived in Indiana for the last 38 years and 9 months. You don't register by party in Indiana. You ask for the party ballot for the primary you want to vote in. When you go into the "booth" you only have the ballot for the party you declared and cannot vote for any other candidate in that primary except those on that party's ballot. Next primary election, you can make another choice if you want. In the General election, its a secret ballot. No one knows how you vote and you can cross party lines.

In the primary, there is no "independent" ballot to request.

Reactions: Lucy01

9.4 percent of Americans have diabetes. 42.4 percent of Americans are obese and will likely end up as type-2 diabetics.

Maybe we should cut our losses and euthanize the fatties right now....?

You must not have lived in Indiana for the last 38 years and 9 months. You don't register by party in Indiana. You ask for the party ballot for the primary you want to vote in. When you go into the "booth" you only have the ballot for the party you declared and cannot vote for any other candidate in that primary except those on that party's ballot. Next primary election, you can make another choice if you want. In the General election, its a secret ballot. No one knows how you vote and you can cross party lines.

In the primary, there is no "independent" ballot to request.

That is how you vote in a primary but you can still register as Democrat, Republican or Independent. At least you could when I turned 18 nearly 20 years ago

Are you guys saying that our President is a blathering idiot? Don’t you remember that we elected him? Does that mean you guys are saying that we the Americans are a bunch of idiots?

Shame on you!

because he's really, really bad at making a point.

Seriously, as an American, watching an American president flail like that is just flat out embarrassing.
What's different this time is he has a three-and-a-half-year record as president that he has to defend not to mention the pandemic and 20,000 lies

In the debates against Hillary Clinton all Trump had to do was bragging about his achievements most of which were never verified
He looked like a goddamn idiot in the debates with Hillary. Why would anyone expect anything different this time?

Reactions: Ohio Guy
while of voting age I lived in

Indiana 1980-1991
Ohio 1991-1995
Massachusetts 1995-2005
Florida 2005-now.

I was solidly a republican voter until going independent, by registration, in Massachusetts. I registered independent in FL, but here there is a stupid law that independents can't vote in either primary. So a year ago I switched to Dem for the first time ever, pushed there by the GOP war on scirence and fact, as well as their embrace of a corrupt idiot.

Obviously effectiveness will be determined st a later time. But in this instance we know the virus. There is Some guesswork with flu vaccine development due to not being completely sure of the exact strain.

30% effective because there are dozens of seasonal flu strains, not even considering minor mutations. SARS2-COV is one virus. Yes, it has some minor mutations, but that shouldn't affect the vaccine targeting mechanism. Best guess is high effectiveness. The REAL question & concern is duration of effectiveness, 3 months, a year, 5 years, a lifetime? Too soon to tell.
Hope so

Excuse me. You just typed that your wife and daughter estimated that 80% of the covid deaths were caused by something else. Surely, such soothsayers could also estimate how much life these 80% lost.
Huh? You realize that made zero sense right. From the Covid cases they have witnessed they estimate that about 80% have existing conditions that were the main cause of death. Can you now understand or is this still a bit above your head?

9.4 percent of Americans have diabetes. 42.4 percent of Americans are obese and will likely end up as type-2 diabetics.

Maybe we should cut our losses and euthanize the fatties right now....?
I would say no but if that is how you feel I guess you have your right.

Let’s say 40 percent opt out, hypothetically. What effect does that have on the general pop and the vaccine’s effectiveness.

40 percent will assuredly brag that they didn’t get the vaccine. Of those 40 percent, I’d guess well over half will have actually gotten the vaccine as soon as it was available to them.

Reactions: Circlejoe
Assuming the vaccine is effective, those 40% willingly put themselves and other anti-vaxers at risk and the 60% sane people are good to go.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Please reread what you posted. It seems like several people came to the same conclusion that I did. If I misread your post, my apologies.

I’m also very sorry to hear about your cousin.
I appreciate that regarding my cousin, brain cancer that he has battled for a few years. Good/great kid that will be taken way to soon, it is a very tragic situation.

My post was to depict that what I have come to know from my wife and daughter is that many Doctors state exactly what I said. It has been told to me that, covid deaths do create a greater revenue stream for hospitals and thus that is uses as the cause of death when possible. One thing I will never do is put death in a dim light, watching my 70 year old grandfather die as I gave him CPR for 40 minutes as a 21 year old kid gave me a great appreciation of life. I also realize it was his time and life moves on, hard lessen to learn at 21.

Huh? You realize that made zero sense right. From the Covid cases they have witnessed they estimate that about 80% have existing conditions that were the main cause of death. Can you now understand or is this still a bit above your head?
It must be.

If they could estimate that underlying conditions caused a certain percentage of their patients to die, they must be able to estimate how much life those patients had left had they not contracted the virus.

Lots of people are LIVING with preexisting conditions. Those conditions MIGHT eventually be the cause of their death. Then again, they could die of something entirely else. Nobody's cause of death is predetermined.

Some preexisting conditions make one's body more susceptible to the ravages of Covid. If they contract the virus, their already compromised systems can't fight it off, and eventually Covid or some condition (ie pneumonia, stroke, etc.) resulting from the Covid overwhelms the body. The cause death is Covid, not the preexisting condition.

Assuming the vaccine is effective, those 40% willingly put themselves and other anti-vaxers at risk and the 60% sane people are good to go.

I’m sure I’ll eventually get the vaccine, I just want at least 100 million of my closest friends to try it first. And if after a few months they don’t get some weird cancer or grow an arm out of their ass, I’ll go get my shot.

ADVERTISEMENT