ADVERTISEMENT

I think an Offensive Staff overhaul is in order

IUCX9

Junior
Nov 30, 2018
With the exception of Hart, who should be promoted to Co-OC and Running Game Coordinator.

We need a desperate upgrade on every other position coach.

OL - It all starts here. Zach Osterman an called this our deepest most experienced OL in years. However, results were Poor.

WR - mushroomgod_1 posted stats showing YPC numbers decreasing down the board. Red flags, my friends.

QB - I'm sure Sheridan is a nice kid, but we can do better than a former walk-on QB who is 1 year removed from being a GA. I'd like to see a formerly successful QB with NFL experience and has mentored at least 1 QB who was drafted.

Where does the money come from for this?

It’s not like Allen chose these cheap guys over experienced/proven ones. He just stayed within Fred’s budget.
Wasn't there a huge thread about IU's financial commitment to the FB program?

Look there.

It’s not like Allen chose these cheap guys over experienced/proven ones. He just stayed within Fred’s budget.
Think Sheridan was a nod to letting Debord name his staff, but someone who walked on and played at Michigan, probably was pretty damn "football smart" and likely hard worker too. That said, depending on the person named, I could see him being a numbers game loss if we brought in an OC-QB coach hybrid.

OL - Hiller's past schools were not "mind-blowing" but he went from Cinci to Houston, so was still in D-1 level. Sometimes I'm convinced his shorter "heavier set" look doesn't look like central casting for modern day college coach, so I try to not let "judging book by cover" influence actual results on the field.

In season 1, I thought the IU OL Underperformed candidly. But not sure how talented or injury free his cupboard was. In season 2, thought OL started slow, was not as strong thru maybe first 5-6 games, but then I'd have to say thought the OL improved. Clearly they were doing some things right in the run game for Stevie Scott to get 1,000+ as he's NOT a burner, but a strong 7-8 yd grinder. Pass protection was pretty good, but not great, though some of that may have been Ramsey holding on too long or WR's not getting open?

But like Debord & Sheridan, theoretically a new OC could have a say in putting "his team" together so would defer to them there. I think Hart & Heard seem to be doing a fine job with results on the field and are also very strong recruiters, which is not to be overlooked. Hart seems like more of the "rising star" who if we stay in-house, would give IU two hot-shot early 30s Coordinators for O & D. That comes with some risks, and naysayers will be critical, but with Allen giving up DC duties, allows him to be a bigger picture, "coach of the coaches" role too.

I don't think the current staff minus OC is last move of the off-season. But TBD and I do believe Allen knows what he wants and think Fred is willing to step up more NOW that he can see how close things are to being ready to take the next step up to bowl team given talent now on the team and coming in.

Reactions: iulb and IUCX9
With the exception of Hart, who should be promoted to Co-OC and Running Game Coordinator.

OL - It all starts here. Zach Osterman an called this our deepest most experienced OL in years. However, results were Poor.

WR - mushroomgod_1 posted stats showing YPC numbers decreasing down the board. Red flags, my friends.

QB - I'm sure Sheridan is a nice kid, but we can do better than a former walk-on QB who is 1 year removed from being a GA. I'd like to see a formerly successful QB with NFL experience and has mentored at least 1 QB who was drafted.
The offensive line improved drastically as the year progressed.. so I think Hiller deserves to see what he can do this year.
Grant Heard brought in and tutored much NFL talent at Ole Miss and has some guys coming in that had some big time offers.
Peyton Ramsey by most accounts overachieved with limited arm Penix looked very prepared when he played and Ficable looked good against FIU in limited time.
Mike Hart well that room speaks for itself. Back to back years you start true freshman with impressive results and you bring in 2 4 stars.

i think a board moderating staff overhaul is in order.

Lack in YPC/YAC wasn't due to the WR Coach, but a QB who didn't put the ball in a spot for the receiver to run, often having to adjust to a poor throw. ALSO delivered it slow and late to let the D swarm the IU WRs.
I might give you slow but not late. Was actually a strength . So much so that some of our resident qb gurus tried to claim he stared down his receivers.

And what evidence do you have to back up this claim? Please feel free to post all of it.

Heard is very well thought of in terms of recruiting/developing WR talent. Hart is crushing it in recruiting and appears to be an excellent coach.

Hiller's just been here a couple years. Might be possible to upgrade the O-Line coach but it may be a personnel issue with the run-blocking being disappointing at times. Pass blocking has been very good.

Lack in YPC/YAC wasn't due to the WR Coach, but a QB who didn't put the ball in a spot for the receiver to run, often having to adjust to a poor throw. ALSO delivered it slow and late to let the D swarm the IU WRs.
And part of that was due to the OL not holding off the rush long enough for the routes to develop, so it's a combo of issues that caused a lot of that.

Reactions: vesuvius13

what the hell does osterman know? he's just a reporter. doubt he's ever strapped on shoulder pads in his life. that said, you are right about the o line being disappointing this season.

Reactions: IUgradman
Heard is very well thought of in terms of recruiting/developing WR talent. Hart is crushing it in recruiting and appears to be an excellent coach.

Hiller's just been here a couple years. Might be possible to upgrade the O-Line coach but it may be a personnel issue with the run-blocking being disappointing at times. Pass blocking has been very good.
i may have been drunk but i seem to remember ramsey running for his life half the time

i may have been drunk but i seem to remember ramsey running for his life half the time
I watched tapes of the games and Ramsey bailed out too quick instead of stepping up, The OL was much better than you think. I was a coach and coached and won State Championships so I can break down films and see what really happened. Ramsey was a big part of the problem and destroying OL blocks which made they look bad. Yes some times the OL got beat but most of the time Ramsey was the culprit. We need a much better QB because he missed open receivers and dumped the ball to short routes. I hope Penix is healthy and the starter for 2019 or Tuttle is. Ramsey's arm is too weak for B1G football. I like Ramsey and his toughness just not his play.

Last edited:
I keep checking this site hoping to see a new OC. I am very curious what will happen with the offensive assistant staff after the OC is hired. Hart and Sheridan are/were DeBord guys. Heard and Hiller are CTA guys.

I suspect we will have more turnover after the OC is named. No inside information, just a hunch. It is hard to imagine a new OC coming here who will not bring at least one coach with him.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I keep checking this site hoping to see a new OC. I am very curious what will happen with the offensive assistant staff after the OC is hired. Hart and Sheridan are/were DeBord guys. Heard and Hiller are CTA guys.

I suspect we will have more turnover after the OC is named. No inside information, just a hunch. It is hard to imagine a new OC coming here who will not bring at least one coach with him.
I would be surprised if coach Allen brings in an OC that would get rid of any of the offensive coaches. Hart has proven himself and Sheridan has a QB room with two 4 star QBs.

Reactions: ESalum86
Name I’ve only read about of late I like is Graham Harrell OC under Littrell at North Texas. Had great playing career, like Hart, 3 urs in NFL, been working with Littrell, seems innovative. Think only 30. Would hate for him to be cause of losing Hart. Co-OC like OSU in title, but Harrell is play caller with final say?

This is a fun parlor game but am hopeful IU/Allen/Glass can pull off a great hire as it could propel IU to next step up given talent we are getting and have already.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT