ADVERTISEMENT

I started off the New Year by playing 18 holes this afternoon. My understanding

McNutt76

Hall of Famer
Sep 1, 2001
was our course was closed today because it was a holiday. I called the pro shop about 11:30 this morning, however, and discovered it was going to be open at noon.

By the time I arrived, my group already had teed off on the North nine. Our pro said it was okay for me to start on the West nine because it was wide open.

I finished my first nine in about 75 minutes, noticed golfers were teeing off on the North nine, so I then played the East nine. Once again, I finished in about 75 minutes.

It means so much to me to play golf during the winter. I like being outdoors and getting rid of about 1,400 calories.

Hopefully, spring will be here before we know it!

was our course was closed today because it was a holiday. I called the pro shop about 11:30 this morning, however, and discovered it was going to be open at noon.

By the time I arrived, my group already had teed off on the North nine. Our pro said it was okay for me to start on the West nine because it was wide open.

I finished my first nine in about 75 minutes, noticed golfers were teeing off on the North nine, so I then played the East nine. Once again, I finished in about 75 minutes.

It means so much to me to play golf during the winter. I like being outdoors and getting rid of about 1,400 calories.

I've broken 80 every round this year... walked 18 in 2 1/2 hours (150 minutes).

Last edited:
Reactions: IU40IU and cryano
I’ve never broken 80. Maybe one day. 80 is my best.

I was somewhere around 45 before I did. In large part, because I started playing a lot more... gave up playing Bball and the family was mostly raised.
That reminds me, hey @McNutt76 , did you keep track of number of putts and GIR today? You should, and then take action to improve the numbers.
Here's mine today:
Putts: 29
3 putts: 0
GIR: 7 (lower than I like, I fought a pull ALL DAY LONG)
2 birdies, so that's 12 putts on my 7 GIR holes.
17 putts on the other 11 holes means I got up and down on 5 of 11 holes. Not as high a % as I like, could easily have been 7/11, but short game conditions aren't good this time of year. Still good enough to break 80 with 2 doubles.
That's the recipe for hackers like us.

I was somewhere around 45 before I did. In large part, because I started playing a lot more... gave up playing Bball and the family was mostly raised.
That reminds me, hey @McNutt76 , did you keep track of number of putts and GIR today? You should, and then take action to improve the numbers.
Here's mine today:
17 putts on the other 11 holes means I got up and down on 5 of 11 holes. Not as high a % as I like, could easily have been 7/11, but short game conditions aren't good this time of year. Still good enough to break 80 with 2 doubles.
Here's mine today:
You are not hacker...you are probably in the top 5-10% of golfers in the world...

You are not hacker...you are probably in the top 5-10% of golfers in the world...
Some of the guys I play with make me feel like a hacker, which is another key to getting better, play with players better than you.
"Golfer" .vs. "Serious Golfer" would skew that %. For as much as I play, I need to up my game.

Some of the guys I play with make me feel like a hacker, which is another key to getting better, play with players better than you.
"Golfer" .vs. "Serious Golfer" would skew that %. For as much as I play, I need to up my game.
I bet you’d shoot your best scores then if you played a round w McNutt...or similar handicap...

So your group knew the course was open and played on without you? Hmmmmmm.

McNutt walks, like a real man should. If it was summer time, he would have gone home and cut his 2 acre yard with a push mower. As it is, he still went home and hoped for snow so he could shovel his drive, like a real man.

...and he uses a garden spade when he shovels snow. The fact that he's shirtless, goes without saying!

So your group knew the course was open and played on without you? Hmmmmmm.

Our group has about 20 golfers in it. A high percentage of them are retired and play together between three and five times a week. All I need to do to find out what time we are teeing off is call the pro shop and ask what time the Ron Albert group is teeing off? For some reason, I thought the course was closed Wednesday and I didn't call the pro shop until around 11:30 that morning. It was my fault.

Reactions: Brockway
Our group has about 20 golfers in it. A high percentage of them are retired and play together between three and five times a week. All I need to do to find out what time we are teeing off is call the pro shop and ask what time the Ron Albert group is teeing off? For some reason, I thought the course was closed Wednesday and I didn't call the pro shop until around 11:30 that morning. It was my fault.

best time to play is when the course is closed.

free golf, and you can hit all the practice shots you want.

best time to play is when the course is closed.

free golf, and you can hit all the practice shots you want.

I have a membership, so it doesn't cost me any additional money. The only problem is it is difficult for me to play when the pro shop and clubhouse are closed because I need to stretch shortly before teeing off. I live less than 10 minutes from Otter Creek, so I might be able to stretch at home and be able to play without stretching again. I just don't want to hurt my back.

I have a membership, so it doesn't cost me any additional money. The only problem is it is difficult for me to play when the pro shop and clubhouse are closed because I need to stretch shortly before teeing off. I live less than 10 minutes from Otter Creek, so I might be able to stretch at home and be able to play without stretching again. I just don't want to hurt my back.

You’re truly not a real person are you? Just a fictitious character here for our entertainment.

Why can’t you stretch outside?

I have three different types of stretches and they all involve lying on my back. That said, I don't want to lie on cold concrete or cold, wet ground to do my stretches before I play.

I have three different types of stretches and they all involve lying on my back. That said, I don't want to lie on cold concrete or cold, wet ground to do my stretches before I play.
Lie a towel down? Yoga mat kept in your car?

Shorter version: First golf game of the new year, and your playing partners bitched out on you and left you alone.

Nah. I have played golf with Jerry one time, down at Salt Creek in Nashville. He is real. Good dude, and exactly what you would expect from reading his posts here.

Thank you, Jim. I wish I had your golf game. If I remember correctly, we won the event that day.

Thank you, Jim. I wish I had your golf game. If I remember correctly, we won the event that day.
I believe we did. Didn’t IUT also play with us?
For us to have him on our team, and still win, is somewhat of a minor miracle..

I fought back pain all summer. Actually had to leave the course two straight days in horrible pain in early May. Forced to take off about 10 days and started appointments with physical therapist two times a week. He gave me exercises to do twice a day. He helped to the point I could play golf. He sent me to a chiropractor specializing in sports when he couldn’t do any more for me. Still doing exercises every day but continue to have some lower back pain on right side. Long hours sitting will be horrible for it this tax season.

Whatever stretches you do to keep your back healthy, keep doing them!

Reactions: kkott
I fought back pain all summer. Actually had to leave the course two straight days in horrible pain in early May. Forced to take off about 10 days and started appointments with physical therapist two times a week. He gave me exercises to do twice a day. He helped to the point I could play golf. He sent me to a chiropractor specializing in sports when he couldn’t do any more for me. Still doing exercises every day but continue to have some lower back pain on right side. Long hours sitting will be horrible for it this tax season.

Whatever stretches you do to keep your back healthy, keep doing them!

Back pain seems the worst as it really seems to linger. I had surgery to repair the meniscus in my left knee in January and the Doctor said there's not much cartilage left in there and I'm probably going to have arthritis in that knee, and so far, his prediction is holding. Had some major surgery on my right ankle this year too, but it's recovered very well and all in all, I feel good for my age and am thankful!

Reactions: stollcpa
I believe we did. Didn’t IUT also play with us?
For us to have him on our team, and still win, is somewhat of a minor miracle..

You're probably right, Jim. I guess I'm getting old because I can't remember.

ADVERTISEMENT