ADVERTISEMENT

I see some of what UGA did in football as similar to what IU is doing…

rocketo

All-American
Feb 23, 2007
… in basketball. I moved to Georgia just a few years before the turn of the century. I quickly became a Dawgs fan since the woman I dated and married was a huge Dawgs fan.

I watched Mark Richt teams do a good job, but they never seemed to be able to win any big games. They beat the teams they were supposed to beat, but if it was close or a big stage, more times than not, they choked or flat got blown out.

Then comes Kirby Smart. The first things that started to happen were additional roles to support the program and build the brand. Tons of off field roles that were never there were created and huge sums of money spent on facilities to compete with or leave other programs in the dust.

As I watch the investment that Fred Glass pushed for IU facilities, I believe IU to be in pretty good shape when it comes to facilities. What has been missing is the MACHINE. The roles and operations side of things that flat needs to be there to support a national program. When UGA built that, the recruiting and everything else fell into place. They started getting not only better players, but those that just happened to fit right, and those that made surprising jumps in rankings because UGA did their homework. In less than two years, they played for a NC and every year they are in the conversation, which is where we want IU basketball to be.

Fact is, a head coach and a few assist coaches for a national program just isn’t enough anymore. There is a ton of work that goes into scheduling, recruiting, branding and all the other aspects of running what is effectively a small to mid sized company.

Seeing what IU is doing really does remind me of the articles and such that I read before UGA exploded back on the scene. And this has me very optimistic for the future of IU basketball!

Has UGA really exploded back on the scene? I feel like they’ve been the 4th to 10th best team in football for like a decade now.

They’re still light years from challenging Bama or Clemson.

• Sad
Reactions: BHAII and jimmygoiu
Has UGA really exploded back on the scene? I feel like they’ve been the 4th to 10th best team in football for like a decade now.

They’re still light years from challenging Bama or Clemson.
I don’t think you know what you are talking about. The last 2 games against Bama outside of last year where UGA was without a QB for all intents and purposes, Bama won by a TD and 3 pts in OT. That’s light years?

We will find out shortly how UGA stacks up to Clemson, but are you saying you wouldn’t be happy with IU basketball if they were just behind and trying to catch the most prolific team in the game? Maybe in the history of the game in regards to Saban led Bama.

I’d be thrilled.

Reactions: JBT Assoc
I don’t think you know what you are talking about. The last 2 games against Bama outside of last year where UGA was without a QB for all intents and purposes, Bama won by a TD and 3 pts in OT. That’s light years?

We will find out shortly how UGA stacks up to Clemson, but are you saying you wouldn’t be happy with IU basketball if they were just behind and trying to catch the most prolific team in the game? Maybe in the history of the game in regards to Saban led Bama.

I’d be thrilled.
It’s a bad comparison because UGA was pretty damn good under Richt for a long time. Smart is better so far but let’s not act like it’s some sort of 180 like we’re hoping Archie/ Woodson will be.

… in basketball. I moved to Georgia just a few years before the turn of the century. I quickly became a Dawgs fan since the woman I dated and married was a huge Dawgs fan.

I watched Mark Richt teams do a good job, but they never seemed to be able to win any big games. They beat the teams they were supposed to beat, but if it was close or a big stage, more times than not, they choked or flat got blown out.

Then comes Kirby Smart. The first things that started to happen were additional roles to support the program and build the brand. Tons of off field roles that were never there were created and huge sums of money spent on facilities to compete with or leave other programs in the dust.

As I watch the investment that Fred Glass pushed for IU facilities, I believe IU to be in pretty good shape when it comes to facilities. What has been missing is the MACHINE. The roles and operations side of things that flat needs to be there to support a national program. When UGA built that, the recruiting and everything else fell into place. They started getting not only better players, but those that just happened to fit right, and those that made surprising jumps in rankings because UGA did their homework. In less than two years, they played for a NC and every year they are in the conversation, which is where we want IU basketball to be.

Fact is, a head coach and a few assist coaches for a national program just isn’t enough anymore. There is a ton of work that goes into scheduling, recruiting, branding and all the other aspects of running what is effectively a small to mid sized company.

Seeing what IU is doing really does remind me of the articles and such that I read before UGA exploded back on the scene. And this has me very optimistic for the future of IU basketball!
MY question is did you turn her I to an IU basketball fan?

Reactions: ulrey
It’s a bad comparison because UGA was pretty damn good under Richt for a long time. Smart is better so far but let’s not act like it’s some sort of 180 like we’re hoping Archie/ Woodson will be.
Good records, but fell flat in the majority of big games. Well discussed among UGA fans. But you’re right. They were in the toilet like IU has been a bit.

Just a terrible comparison and I hope you’re wrong. Who aspires to be perennial bridesmaids/runnerups/also-rans? Let’s win another championship. Or two.

Reactions: rocketo
Yeah, when I think of national football powers, Georgia doesn't spring to mind.

Good talent and good program, but nothing elite.
They are in the conversation every year. Point is, they have made significant strides and have taken that next step. If it weren’t for Bama, they would have 1-2 NC. With the moves IU is making, it seems similar to what UGA did to get to that next level.

They are in the conversation every year. Point is, they have made significant strides and have taken that next step. If it weren’t for Bama, they would have 1-2 NC. With the moves IU is making, it seems similar to what UGA did to get to that next level.
I get what you're saying and agree with the sentiment. Bama just happens to the Wooden coached Bruins in this scenario.

Just a terrible comparison and I hope you’re wrong. Who aspires to be perennial bridesmaids/runnerups/also-rans? Let’s win another championship. Or two.
Compared to where IU has been, it would be a tremendous leap. We haven’t even had chances… And again, the point is building a program requires this type of investment. I read the articles, and watched UGA take it up a notch. With how far down IU has been, the jump should be much greater.

No, they're not in the conversation every year by anyone other than Georgia fans.

Reactions: kkott
We’ve fallen to a much lower level in basketball than UGA did in football, which is where the comparison falls apart. On a personal note, Richt was universally regarded as a top notch person, if not a top notch coach. Crean was never regarded as anything but a top notch phony.

Compared to where IU has been, it would be a tremendous leap. We haven’t even had chances… And again, the point is building a program requires this type of investment. I read the articles, and watched UGA take it up a notch. With how far down IU has been, the jump should be much greater.

It’s like saying you wish we could get to the level of Purdue. Yes, right now it would be a significant improvement, but that should never be the goal.

Reactions: DANC
I think some of you do not follow football very closely. Georgia has not finished outside of the top 10 in the final rankings for like 5 years. They have 2 top 5 finishes in that time. They have had a top 5 recruiting class every single year Smart has been there. That includes 2 or 3 #1 classes if I am remembering correctly.

They played for the SEC championship 3 of the last 5 years. That means they were in the conversation for a championship 3 of 5 years since the winner of that game is going to the playoffs.

Outside of Alabama and Clemson, Georgia is in the conversation for the top program.

Yeah I would take having a chance to win a championship 3 of every 5 years.

I think some of you do not follow football very closely. Georgia has not finished outside of the top 10 in the final rankings for like 5 years. They have 2 top 5 finishes in that time. They have had a top 5 recruiting class every single year Smart has been there. That includes 2 or 3 #1 classes if I am remembering correctly.

They played for the SEC championship 3 of the last 5 years. That means they were in the conversation for a championship 3 of 5 years since the winner of that game is going to the playoffs.

Outside of Alabama and Clemson, Georgia is in the conversation for the top program.

Agreed. And they’ve never experienced the sustained decline in performance that our basketball program has. We’re more of a “Nebraska” than a “Georgia”. If there’s a need to use an SEC comparable, Tennessee is probably a better comparison.

Agreed. And they’ve never experienced the sustained decline in performance that our basketball program has. We’re more of a “Nebraska” than a “Georgia”. If there’s a need to use an SEC comparable, Tennessee is probably a better comparison.
I agree Tennessee would probably be a better comparison to what happened to our program.

If the OP sees some comparisons between what Georgia did when they brought in Smart to what we are doing now, then I will take an extra helping of that. Georgia has been fantastic since Smart was hired.

I agree Tennessee would probably be a better comparison to what happened to our program.

If the OP sees some comparisons between what Georgia did when they brought in Smart to what we are doing now, then I will take an extra helping of that. Georgia has been fantastic since Smart was hired.
Agreed. KS has been great for UGA, but nobody is going to consistently pass Alabama while Saban is there. KS as his hands fill with UF, anyway. Regardless, they’re consistently a top 10 program, and they’ll go deep into most seasons as a legitimate national title contender. Hard to be upset with that if you’re a Dawg fan. But he started from a pretty good spot, and that hasn’t been the case for any of our basketball coaches over the last 20 years.

It’s like saying you wish we could get to the level of Purdue. Yes, right now it would be a significant improvement, but that should never be the goal.
Pull your head outta your ass. So you are saying Purdoo has challenged for NC recently? They have averaged finishing the season in the top 5 the last 4 years? Come back with some facts and you won’t look so stooopid

Reactions: outside shooter

Thank you for being reasonable. I don’t get why some dip shits are attacking me on this. This is a complement to IU basketball. Not trying to start a B1G vs SEC fight here. Just trying to explain the similarities. If IU BB a can be on the same trajectory, that’s a good thing…

Pull your head outta your ass. So you are saying Purdoo has challenged for NC recently? They have averaged finishing the season in the top 5 the last 4 years? Come back with some facts and you won’t look so stooopid

Just a couple plays away from a final four a couple years ago against the eventual champs. Georgia football is not a program to emulate. You want a better comparison? How ‘bout the Buffalo Bills or the Atlanta Braves? That’s Georgia football...

I will agree that what we HAVE been is closer to TN. But that’s not what I’m saying. I’m saying that our moves mirror similar to UGA did when they brought in Kirby Smart. And that’s a good thing for the program. That’s all.

Just a couple plays away from a final four a couple years ago against the eventual champs. Georgia football is not a program to emulate. You want a better comparison? How ‘bout the Buffalo Bills or the Atlanta Braves? That’s Georgia football...
The gators are about to get ass pounded by UGA again this year. Is that the problem with you?

Thank you for being reasonable. I don’t get why some dip shits are attacking me on this. This is a complement to IU basketball. Not trying to start a B1G vs SEC fight here. Just trying to explain the similarities. If IU BB a can be on the same trajectory, that’s a good thing…
I for one hope that we can become the basketball equivalent of UGA football under Richt. Much less Smart.

You’re right in that Alabama really throws a wrench into things. Not only does UGA have to beat Alabama (sometimes twice) to even make the playoff, then they have to win two tough games once they get there, maybe even Alabama again.

I would still put them a tier below Alabama, Clemson and OSU though. But LSU shows it can be done, so that should make you feel better as someone who abandoned IUFB to root for the Dawgs.

Reactions: rocketo
I for one hope that we can become the basketball equivalent of UGA football under Richt. Much less Smart.

You’re right in that Alabama really throws a wrench into things. Not only does UGA have to beat Alabama (sometimes twice) to even make the playoff, then they have to win two tough games once they get there, maybe even Alabama again.

I would still put them a tier below Alabama, Clemson and OSU though. But LSU shows it can be done, so that should make you feel better as someone who abandoned IUFB to root for the Dawgs.
I still watch every IU a football game and root for them while heartedly. UGA beat LSU for the SECC to lose in OT in the NC to Bama. But yeah, real tough road for UGA with only 4 spots in playoff. Clemson has it easy only having to win ACC for a shot. Same with OSU with the B1G being down recently. Regardless, I just want IU BB to be back at the top. And things are looking good. What will be funny is watching the trolls slither off once we are back.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
I still watch every IU a football game and root for them while heartedly. UGA beat LSU for the SECC to lose in OT in the NC to Bama. But yeah, real tough road for UGA with only 4 spots in playoff. Clemson has it easy only having to win ACC for a shot. Same with OSU with the B1G being down recently. Regardless, I just want IU BB to be back at the top. And things are looking good. What will be funny is watching the trolls slither off once we are back.
Yeah but if you’d root for UGA over IUFB I think you need to get your priorities straight.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Yeah but if you’d root for UGA over IUFB I think you need to get your priorities straight.
You don’t know a GD thing about me. What’s your problem? I’m simply giving a complement to the approach we are taking with our BB team and your acting like a little ****kng bitch.

• Haha
Keep your turncoat @ss down there...
Lol. Wait. Lemme get this straight. Because I moved to Georgia, I can’t root for the team I grew up with? Get the **** outta here with that stupid shit. I’ve watched more Iu games than you ever have.

Lol. Wait. Lemme get this straight. Because I moved to Georgia, I can’t root for the team I grew up with? Get the **** outta here with that stupid shit. I’ve watched more Iu games than you ever have.

You’re the one who said you became a Dawgs fan. Quickly...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT