ADVERTISEMENT

I Really Like This Guy! (Coach W)

Indiana_1993

Redshirt
Nov 23, 2015
Okay, I was on the team of doubters when he was hired. Why? Because I didn't know who he was and he wasn't on the top five list for anyone. However, I've watched him attack the program in the way I hoped a change-agent would, and his approach to the media is refreshing! He's a hard-nosed recruiter who hits the kids in the face with the truth, demands effort on D as his montra for success, and continuously promotes on and off-court behavior as his desired culture.

However, big-time credit goes to the AD. Wow, bringing in Thad Matta was brilliant! Giving CMW the money and authority to hire/fire for success was executed brilliantly with Dane Fife and the rest of his assistants. Going to the portal and recruiting to fill holes was spectacular, and the message to JH (and the rest of the team) that effort and results are what gets you playing time is exactly Indiana basketball.

I'm very hopeful that we're going to see Indiana basketball played with high levels of energy and effort. I'm so glad to see the days of Clappy and counting deflections in our rear view mirror. Geez, that was hard to watch our coach get most excited about loose ball toss-ups as the litmus test on effort.

Guard for 48 minutes! Run the picket fence!

Reactions: Beorik and abraxis
Okay, I was on the team of doubters when he was hired. Why? Because I didn't know who he was and he wasn't on the top five list for anyone. However, I've watched him attack the program in the way I hoped a change-agent would, and his approach to the media is refreshing! He's a hard-nosed recruiter who hits the kids in the face with the truth, demands effort on D as his montra for success, and continuously promotes on and off-court behavior as his desired culture.

However, big-time credit goes to the AD. Wow, bringing in Thad Matta was brilliant! Giving CMW the money and authority to hire/fire for success was executed brilliantly with Dane Fife and the rest of his assistants. Going to the portal and recruiting to fill holes was spectacular, and the message to JH (and the rest of the team) that effort and results are what gets you playing time is exactly Indiana basketball.

I'm very hopeful that we're going to see Indiana basketball played with high levels of energy and effort. I'm so glad to see the days of Clappy and counting deflections in our rear view mirror. Geez, that was hard to watch our coach get most excited about loose ball toss-ups as the litmus test on effort.

woody is rubbing off on you, he’s got us playing 48 mins!!!

I think a big reason why this seems to be working (we haven’t won shit yet) and why I am cautiously optimistic is I can see a clear plan executed by Dolson. Hire woody and Thad and give them the keys to the Ferrari and all the resources they want.

I don’t think money is an option with assistants and positions on the team. I also don’t think there is any advise or recommendations coming from anyone other than the core coaching staff.

on previous staffs I got the impression they were influenced by others close to the program. Whether that be parents, the former AD, fans, whatever. This staff has coached basketball, and a lot of it, and they know exactly what they want and will do it their way. I love the approach, this shit better pan out. If it doesn’t, I’m done, and the basketball gods hate us.

Okay, I was on the team of doubters when he was hired. Why? Because I didn't know who he was and he wasn't on the top five list for anyone.
I don’t have the inclination to go back and find it now. But, before CMW was hired but his name was percolating, I made a post that he was probably a better candidate than most people here were giving him credit for.

And one of the reasons I cited for people being down on him was that he wasn’t on any other school’s list of potential candidates, and wasn’t likely to be...and that must mean he was somehow defective.

But guess who were on many schools’ shortlists when we hired them? Archie Miller and Tom Crean.

Now, that’s not dispositive of anything necessarily. And Woodson may yet prove to be unsuccessful at getting us where we want to be. Time will tell.

But it does at least show that this particular motivation is based wholly in emotion and passion, and is far from reliable.

You really didn’t know who he was?

Back in the mid 90's, I was working at a foot locker at Glendale in Indy and in walks recently retired Mike Woodson, pushing a baby stroller with his wife. Grab an IU hat off the shelf and have him sign it. My coworkers didnt.know he played for IU......still have the hat hanging in my moms basement with other IU memorabilia

ADVERTISEMENT