ADVERTISEMENT

I really enjoyed watching Phil Mickelson win the PGA Championship today!

Now, he's the oldest golfer to ever win a major tournament at age 50. He is going to be 51 next month, by the way.

I realize a lot of you don't like Phil, but I thought he conducted himself with class this weekend.
me too. He never once complained about rakes, bunker conditions, pace of play or his crappy shots!

Reactions: sdhoosier
He's obviously been working out and the manboobs have certainly shrunk. That's a beautiful course and it was pretty entertaining to see him do so well.

Reactions: sdhoosier
He's obviously been working out and the manboobs have certainly shrunk. That's a beautiful course and it was pretty entertaining to see him do so well.

was fun to see an old guy win, but that course was a total disaster i would have zero interest in playing..

and as visually unappealing and ill defined as a course can be. (and what a course looks like from a blimp don't mean squat to someone playing it from eye level).

imo Pete Dye's strength was taking a terrible piece of land for a golf course, and at least making it somewhat interesting with lot's of sand and water and contouring of the land.

but after adding sand, water, and contouring, a horrible piece of land for a course is still a horrible piece of land for a course.

only less horrible.

props to the Scots for making something out of nothing with their links courses, but we have so many great courses with lots of elevation change and trees, that i don't agree with the current golf power base's love for courses on horrible land for courses.

nor do i approve of their war on trees.

idiots.

I only watched a little bit on Sunday. I didn't realize that his brother was caddying for him. What an incredible experience on top of the win.

... that course was a total disaster i would have zero interest in playing..
Any beach course is going to have 20 mph winds, so of course it would be frustrating as hell to play. But I thought the combination of water, dunes, sea grass, and tons of bunkers of various shapes made it a US Open-type of challenge for the best players there are. And without tricking up the greens to do it.

Reactions: tbone6004
Now, he's the oldest golfer to ever win a major tournament at age 50. He is going to be 51 next month, by the way.

I realize a lot of you don't like Phil, but I thought he conducted himself with class this weekend.

he passed Julius Boros for being the oldest.

i watched Julius play Otter Creek briefly back in the day.

I hate Chambers. I hated Kiwah. Give me a tree lined high rough small hard greens over this any day. I’ve also wondered why Florida gets no major love? Imagine the PGA at Doral? Water everywhere on almost every hole. Talk about pressure.

I hate Chambers. I hated Kiwah. Give me a tree lined high rough small hard greens over this any day. I’ve also wondered why Florida gets no major love? Imagine the PGA at Doral? Water everywhere on almost every hole. Talk about pressure.
I like seeing the world's best golfers in different environments and courses that challenge them. I thought most of the players liked the course and venue, and those that didn't were the ones struggling. Plus, living in Charlotte, I am glad to see them in our part of the country.

The one thing I don't like is how different the course could be based on the time you play, but I don't think it was a big factor. There will always be wind at Kiawah, and I didn't perceive that it was nearly as big a difference as it can be at almost any British Open venue, where a morning vs afternoon tee time, can be vastly different. Seeing the best golfers in the world struggle a bit and have to figure things out and gameplan is interesting to me and with Phil winning and topping Koepka in the final pairing, I thought it was great.

As an old left handed former duffer, I was glad to see Phil's win. I go back to the 1960's when Bob Charles of New Zealand was the only left handed golfer you would see on Tour. Now you have several to watch - Phil, Bubba Watson, Brian Harman and one or two others whose names escape me.

As an old left handed former duffer, I was glad to see Phil's win. I go back to the 1960's when Bob Charles of New Zealand was the only left handed golfer you would see on Tour. Now you have several to watch - Phil, Bubba Watson, Brian Harman and one or two others whose names escape me.
I only know Bob Charles from the Senior Tour. The guy played into his 70's didn't he?

Here's an article with some Phil stories:

USA TODAY Sports - Golfweek

Dishing up 3 Phil Mickelson stories you’ve got to know, including that money game with Xander Schauffele​

Adam Schupak
Tue, June 1, 2021, 8:30 AM

One of the great side effects of Phil Mickelson winning the 103rd PGA Championship is the fresh round of Phil stories that have emerged.

Everybody seemingly has one, and one is better than next.

Here are three great ones that shed further light into the many layers of Phil the Thrill.

‘That’s what your boss does, too’

Jim “Bones” Mackay, speaking on the No Laying Up podcast, offered a great one of how his 12-year-old son Oliver is responsible for bringing Phil and his current swing instructor Andrew Getson together. Getson was teaching at Grayhawk Golf Club in Scottsdale, Arizona, when Bones took his son for a lesson. So impressed with his demeanor and how he simplified the golf swing for his students, Bones signed up for a lesson for himself. When Bones hit a bad shot, Getson explained his mistake by saying, “That’s what your boss does, too.”

Turned out Getson watched plenty of golf on TV and had diagnosed a bad habit that Phil had developed.

A few weeks later on a PGA Tour range, Phil is struggling mightily and he’s complaining about his form. He had a hunch what might be wrong and shared it with Bones.

“That’s what Andrew told me you did wrong, too,” Bones said.

That stopped Phil in his tracks and he wanted to know what Bones’s son’s instructor had to say. Bones tried to change the subject and get him to drop it, but to no avail.

“You’ve got his number? I want to hear it from him,” Phil said to Bones.

Next thing you know, Getson is on a plane to San Diego.

“They’ve been together ever since,” Bones said. “The irony is it all started with my 12-year-old son Oliver.”

‘You don’t know who that kid is going to be’

Jeff Coston is a PGA teaching pro out of Washington. He played two seasons on the PGA Tour in 1985 and 1988. As he recounted on ESPN Radio’s Northwest Golf Show with Shon Crewe, his Tour debut at what is now known as the Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines included a fresh-faced local as his standard bearer.

“When you meet a 14-year-old kid you don’t know who that kid is going to be,” Coston said.

That 14-year-old kid happened to be Phil Mickelson and when Phil was asked in the 1990s when did he know he wanted to play the PGA Tour, Phil responded that it was the day that he served as standard bearer for the group of Chris Perry, Steve Pate and Coston.

“He probably thought if Coston can do it anybody can do it,” Coston said with a laugh.

Fast-forward 11 or 12 years later and Coston is doing a clinic with Tom Lehman and Phil was there. Coston approached him and introduced himself and to his surprise, Phil said, “I know you, Mr. Coston.”

They hit balls and talked that day for an hour. In 2004, Coston qualified for the PGA Championship and bumped into Phil, who cut him off when he began to remind him of their first encounter.

“You’re never going to have to tell me who you are, Mr. Coston,” Phil said. “I’ll never forget you.”

‘He’s really a student of the game’

At his Charles Schwab Challenge pre-tournament press conference last week, Phil detailed how playing with the likes of Rory McIlroy and Rickie Fowler at The Grove XXIII ahead of the PGA and money games back home in San Diego with Charley Hoffman and Xander Schauffele were critical to his success. That included getting taken behind the woodshed by Schauffele in a series of matches at The Farms Golf Club in Rancho Sante Fe, California.

“We started playing a lot over during quarantine. We didn’t really have anything else to do, it was the only way for us to get out of the house,” Schauffele said. “I was playing really good golf. To be completely honest, Phil was playing probably some of the worst golf he’s played. Obviously the course being narrow and sort of strategic didn’t really fit his eye. So I took full advantage of him not playing well and me playing really well during that time stretch.”

Schauffele already had dipped into Phil’s pocket twice – how much? “That’s not for me to say. They’re much larger than most games, I can tell you that,” Schauffele said – when he came back for more and was in danger of losing yet again. So, Phil being Phil he pressed early. Here Schauffele picks up the thread of the story of how he closed out Phil with an ace.

“The walk back to the 16th tee is like 80 yards or 100 yards or so and we were jawing each other on the 15th green. I won the hole, he pressed, and then he quickly went back to the tee to tee off and it’s one of the harder par-3s on the course. And he kind of wasn’t supposed to hit first (not his honor having lost the previous hole) and of course he hits first and hits it to four feet or so. I’m letting him know that I could make him re-hit, since it’s match play, but since he was getting his butt kicked, I figured I would let him hit it to four feet and not make him re-hit,” Schauffele said. “I kind of pulled a 6-iron toward the water a little bit, fell right in line with the pin and then trickled in. And Phil just sat – there’s a little mound behind the tee box – and he just sat there like this, looking down at the ground, shaking his head, he just didn’t really know what to do with himself. So, I found that pretty entertaining.

“But I think the big takeaway was, he’s always joking around, but to watch a five-time major champ ask me all these questions I was sort of taken back. And so what I learned from playing with him was that he’s really a student of the game and he’s never really stopped learning. And he’s probably – I thought I was near the top in terms of being the most obsessed of golf and not being able to get away from the game, but I got to tip my hat and give it to Phil. I think he’s probably, he’s so obsessive and so passionate about golf that it’s not really a surprise that he did win the PGA Championship because he’s been telling himself for the last 25 years that he’s still got it. So really cool to play with him and you can definitely learn a lot from what he’s done.”

Here's an article with some Phil stories:

USA TODAY Sports - Golfweek

Dishing up 3 Phil Mickelson stories you’ve got to know, including that money game with Xander Schauffele​

Adam Schupak
Tue, June 1, 2021, 8:30 AM

One of the great side effects of Phil Mickelson winning the 103rd PGA Championship is the fresh round of Phil stories that have emerged.

Everybody seemingly has one, and one is better than next.

Here are three great ones that shed further light into the many layers of Phil the Thrill.

‘That’s what your boss does, too’

Jim “Bones” Mackay, speaking on the No Laying Up podcast, offered a great one of how his 12-year-old son Oliver is responsible for bringing Phil and his current swing instructor Andrew Getson together. Getson was teaching at Grayhawk Golf Club in Scottsdale, Arizona, when Bones took his son for a lesson. So impressed with his demeanor and how he simplified the golf swing for his students, Bones signed up for a lesson for himself. When Bones hit a bad shot, Getson explained his mistake by saying, “That’s what your boss does, too.”

Turned out Getson watched plenty of golf on TV and had diagnosed a bad habit that Phil had developed.

A few weeks later on a PGA Tour range, Phil is struggling mightily and he’s complaining about his form. He had a hunch what might be wrong and shared it with Bones.

“That’s what Andrew told me you did wrong, too,” Bones said.

That stopped Phil in his tracks and he wanted to know what Bones’s son’s instructor had to say. Bones tried to change the subject and get him to drop it, but to no avail.

“You’ve got his number? I want to hear it from him,” Phil said to Bones.

Next thing you know, Getson is on a plane to San Diego.

“They’ve been together ever since,” Bones said. “The irony is it all started with my 12-year-old son Oliver.”

‘You don’t know who that kid is going to be’

Jeff Coston is a PGA teaching pro out of Washington. He played two seasons on the PGA Tour in 1985 and 1988. As he recounted on ESPN Radio’s Northwest Golf Show with Shon Crewe, his Tour debut at what is now known as the Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines included a fresh-faced local as his standard bearer.

“When you meet a 14-year-old kid you don’t know who that kid is going to be,” Coston said.

That 14-year-old kid happened to be Phil Mickelson and when Phil was asked in the 1990s when did he know he wanted to play the PGA Tour, Phil responded that it was the day that he served as standard bearer for the group of Chris Perry, Steve Pate and Coston.

“He probably thought if Coston can do it anybody can do it,” Coston said with a laugh.

Fast-forward 11 or 12 years later and Coston is doing a clinic with Tom Lehman and Phil was there. Coston approached him and introduced himself and to his surprise, Phil said, “I know you, Mr. Coston.”

They hit balls and talked that day for an hour. In 2004, Coston qualified for the PGA Championship and bumped into Phil, who cut him off when he began to remind him of their first encounter.

“You’re never going to have to tell me who you are, Mr. Coston,” Phil said. “I’ll never forget you.”

‘He’s really a student of the game’

At his Charles Schwab Challenge pre-tournament press conference last week, Phil detailed how playing with the likes of Rory McIlroy and Rickie Fowler at The Grove XXIII ahead of the PGA and money games back home in San Diego with Charley Hoffman and Xander Schauffele were critical to his success. That included getting taken behind the woodshed by Schauffele in a series of matches at The Farms Golf Club in Rancho Sante Fe, California.

“We started playing a lot over during quarantine. We didn’t really have anything else to do, it was the only way for us to get out of the house,” Schauffele said. “I was playing really good golf. To be completely honest, Phil was playing probably some of the worst golf he’s played. Obviously the course being narrow and sort of strategic didn’t really fit his eye. So I took full advantage of him not playing well and me playing really well during that time stretch.”

Schauffele already had dipped into Phil’s pocket twice – how much? “That’s not for me to say. They’re much larger than most games, I can tell you that,” Schauffele said – when he came back for more and was in danger of losing yet again. So, Phil being Phil he pressed early. Here Schauffele picks up the thread of the story of how he closed out Phil with an ace.

“The walk back to the 16th tee is like 80 yards or 100 yards or so and we were jawing each other on the 15th green. I won the hole, he pressed, and then he quickly went back to the tee to tee off and it’s one of the harder par-3s on the course. And he kind of wasn’t supposed to hit first (not his honor having lost the previous hole) and of course he hits first and hits it to four feet or so. I’m letting him know that I could make him re-hit, since it’s match play, but since he was getting his butt kicked, I figured I would let him hit it to four feet and not make him re-hit,” Schauffele said. “I kind of pulled a 6-iron toward the water a little bit, fell right in line with the pin and then trickled in. And Phil just sat – there’s a little mound behind the tee box – and he just sat there like this, looking down at the ground, shaking his head, he just didn’t really know what to do with himself. So, I found that pretty entertaining.

“But I think the big takeaway was, he’s always joking around, but to watch a five-time major champ ask me all these questions I was sort of taken back. And so what I learned from playing with him was that he’s really a student of the game and he’s never really stopped learning. And he’s probably – I thought I was near the top in terms of being the most obsessed of golf and not being able to get away from the game, but I got to tip my hat and give it to Phil. I think he’s probably, he’s so obsessive and so passionate about golf that it’s not really a surprise that he did win the PGA Championship because he’s been telling himself for the last 25 years that he’s still got it. So really cool to play with him and you can definitely learn a lot from what he’s done.”
Where's the one about him doing roids but still being able to retain his signature his man-boobs..

ADVERTISEMENT