ADVERTISEMENT

I played Eagle Creek again last night,

frikkenfrakken

All-Big Ten
Jan 14, 2005
Against my better judgment. Here are the douchebag golfer highlights:

I walked the first 3 holes in 25 minutes. That's a 2.5 hour pace. Then the waiting started. On 5 tee, there were 4 groups in the first 200 yards of the hole. A 4-some, an old lady onesome, a two-some, then me.

In the meantime, another single in a cart pulls up. I offer to let him play with me, since it's slow. He agrees. It turns out he is very nice but terrible. It took him 6 shots to reach my drive on 5 tee.

A threesome pulls up on the tee while I am watching this guy. He starts yelling at me from the tee about walking on Friday night. I responded that there are 4 groups on the hole and there's no where to go. He just keeps yelling about it being Friday night.

By 7, we have continued to wait on every shot, while he blared music from his cart behind us. He starts screaming at me from the tee about playing faster, and says people shouldn't be allowed to walk on Friday.

On 8 tee, the wait is so bad he actually sees all the groups in front. He chastised me again for walking on Friday night, claims its all bullshit, and skips ahead.

The foursome up ahead causing all the trouble never let anyone play through. But they quit after 9, as did the old lady single and my nice guy playing partner.

By 11, I had caught up to a 5-some. They also didn't let anyone play through, and slowed me down just enough to make sure I couldn't finish before dark. Then they quit the Sycamore and went and played some holes on the Pines, right after I skipped them.

I hate humans. Here's my question: is there some unwritten rule about walking on Friday night, that the golf course doesn't enforce and I've never heard of in 30 years of golfing? I mean I legit thought I was going to end up in a fist fight on a golf course with this idiot.

And I'm not McNutt, so threatening to snap him in half wasn't an option.

I walked the first 3 holes in 25 minutes. That's a 2.5 hour pace. Then the waiting started. On 5 tee, there were 4 groups in the first 200 yards of the hole. A 4-some, an old lady onesome, a two-some, then me.

In the meantime, another single in a cart pulls up. I offer to let him play with me, since it's slow. He agrees. It turns out he is very nice but terrible. It took him 6 shots to reach my drive on 5 tee.

A threesome pulls up on the tee while I am watching this guy. He starts yelling at me from the tee about walking on Friday night. I responded that there are 4 groups on the hole and there's no where to go. He just keeps yelling about it being Friday night.

By 7, we have continued to wait on every shot, while he blared music from his cart behind us. He starts screaming at me from the tee about playing faster, and says people shouldn't be allowed to walk on Friday.

On 8 tee, the wait is so bad he actually sees all the groups in front. He chastised me again for walking on Friday night, claims its all bullshit, and skips ahead.

The foursome up ahead causing all the trouble never let anyone play through. But they quit after 9, as did the old lady single and my nice guy playing partner.

By 11, I had caught up to a 5-some. They also didn't let anyone play through, and slowed me down just enough to make sure I couldn't finish before dark. Then they quit the Sycamore and went and played some holes on the Pines, right after I skipped them.

I hate humans. Here's my question: is there some unwritten rule about walking on Friday night, that the golf course doesn't enforce and I've never heard of in 30 years of golfing? I mean I legit thought I was going to end up in a fist fight on a golf course with this idiot.

Isn't there a ranger on the course on a Friday night?

Just be glad I was not in a group ahead of you. It would be a lot of waiting on your part.

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with walking seven days a week. Frequently, we will tee off with three guys riding and me walking in our group on the weekends. There will be four riding in front of us and four riding behind us and we will be faster than either group. In other words, we will leave the foursome behind us and play through the foursome in front of us.

Earlier this week, we had a threesome riding on carts behind us and we finished about two holes ahead of them. It happens frequently to us.

I don't know why riders always think they will play faster than walkers. There is no way a foursome in carts will play faster than me--if I am by myself--unless there is a slow group in front of me. I normally can play 18 holes in two hours and 20 minutes.

Were you playing the Sycamore course?

It’s been my experience golf courses are so hard up for money rangering is a thing of the past. They need the $.

So, the foursome, the old lady, and your nice guy friend all went from the 9th green to the parking lot instead of heading for the 10th tee?
I bet you thought you had the green light at that point.
Did the nice guy just pay for nine holes, or was he fed up with the pace of play and packed it in?

So, the foursome, the old lady, and your nice guy friend all went from the 9th green to the parking lot instead of heading for the 10th tee?
I bet you thought you had the green light at that point.
Did the nice guy just pay for nine holes, or was he fed up with the pace of play and packed it in?
Yep. The old lady nearly hit the last of the foursome with her approach on 9. They discussed it afterward, but I wasn't close enough to hear whether it was civil or not.

I think the nice guy was tired of the whole thing, and he was embarrassed because he was pretty bad and I was playing well.

But yeah, I was displeased when I got to my drive on 11, which I smoked, and realized I had to stand and watch 5 guys putt out.

Yep. The old lady nearly hit the last of the foursome with her approach on 9. They discussed it afterward, but I wasn't close enough to hear whether it was civil or not.

I think the nice guy was tired of the whole thing, and he was embarrassed because he was pretty bad and I was playing well.

But yeah, I was displeased when I got to my drive on 11, which I smoked, and realized I had to stand and watch 5 guys putt out.
I'm having a hard time buying most of your story. Maybe this is a creative writing exercise.

The Sycamore course does not come back to the clubhouse at the turn. In fact, the Sycamore #9 green is the furthest green from the clubhouse of all 36 greens... 1.1 miles, to be exact. That's a hell of a place for 6 golfers in a row to quit.

You didn't realize this from the tee?

To answer your question, walk any time, no unwritten rule.

I'm having a hard time buying most of your story. Maybe this is a creative writing exercise.

The Sycamore course does not come back to the clubhouse at the turn. In fact, the Sycamore #9 green is the furthest green from the clubhouse of all 36 greens... 1.1 miles, to be exact. That's a hell of a place for 6 golfers in a row to quit.

You didn't realize this from the tee?

To answer your question, walk any time, no unwritten rule.
I know it doesn't make the turn at the clubhouse. 9 is a short par 4. I hit a good drive, hit a middling pitch to 15 feet by and 2 putted. On 10, I hit a 170 6 iron well right, but made a 15 footer for par. But it was past 7 PM after a 2+ hour front 9. They all quit.

Wtf reason do I have to make it up? Christ.

I didn't notice 3 carts from the tee. All I cared about was that they were out of my way.

• Haha
Reactions: Brockway
I know it doesn't make the turn at the clubhouse. 9 is a short par 4. I hit a good drive, hit a middling pitch to 15 feet by and 2 putted. On 10, I hit a 170 6 iron well right, but made a 15 footer for par. But it was past 7 PM after a 2+ hour front 9. They all quit.

Wtf reason do I have to make it up? Christ.

I didn't notice 3 carts from the tee. All I cared about was that they were out of my way.
That's a relief, I thought you were a liar for a minute, I don't like liars.
I'm cool with a bit of whining exaggeration. In fact, double down on it, EC has been too effing crowded since Covid. :cool:

I went to EC on a Friday night at the height of summer this year. The plan was to hit the practice green, then the range, and finally play Pine 1, 2, 8, & 9 just before dark. I walk to the #1 tee at about 8:45, and there's a frikken couple down the hill on the women's tee. I couldn't effing believe it. There's no way they were just starting. They were just continuing to play holes until dark.
They were agonizingly slow. I waited for every shot on 1, kinda hit into them on 2. From #2 fairway, with them walking from cart path to #2 green, I took 5 wood and shot to #7 green before finishing on 8 & 9.
As darkness falls, the carts come off those two courses like a pack of rats. Everybody just keeps playing until they can't play anymore.

It’s been my experience golf courses are so hard up for money rangering is a thing of the past. They need the $.
I didn’t think anybody actually got paid but just got free golf. At least that’s how’s it’s always been where I’ve played regularly. I WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS AFTER RETIREMENT.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
That's a relief, I thought you were a liar for a minute, I don't like liars.
I'm cool with a bit of whining exaggeration. In fact, double down on it, EC has been too effing crowded since Covid. :cool:

I went to EC on a Friday night at the height of summer this year. The plan was to hit the practice green, then the range, and finally play Pine 1, 2, 8, & 9 just before dark. I walk to the #1 tee at about 8:45, and there's a frikken couple down the hill on the women's tee. I couldn't effing believe it. There's no way they were just starting. They were just continuing to play holes until dark.
They were agonizingly slow. I waited for every shot on 1, kinda hit into them on 2. From #2 fairway, with them walking from cart path to #2 green, I took 5 wood and shot to #7 green before finishing on 8 & 9.
As darkness falls, the carts come off those two courses like a pack of rats. Everybody just keeps playing until they can't play anymore.
Yeah, EC is a shitshow. I won't be going back.

I didn’t think anybody actually got paid but just got free golf. At least that’s how’s it’s always been where I’ve played regularly. I WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS AFTER RETIREMENT.
I just know when I grew up in the late 90’s and early 00’s playing regularly there was a ranger or starter everywhere and they seemed to be everywhere watching. Nowadays…not so much. So long as you’re not dumping the cart in the lake, anything goes. I hate to go all Mcnutt but I like to get off between 6-7am and leave the crap behind.

Reactions: Brockway and larsIU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT