ADVERTISEMENT

I like Mike. If you don't, step back and give him a chance and your support.

Univee2

Hall of Famer
Aug 7, 2002
An IU guy. NBA credibility. Matta on board.

Archie had no fire. Woodson will correct that. Rebuild the culture. Will bring an offensive mentality without neglecting a sound defense.

If you're unhappy or if you wanted someone else, get over it. Woodson is going to surprise. He's not going to accept the mediocrity of the past few years. I'll bet the naysayers will be back shortly.

Watch IU arise. Enjoy the ride. This is going to be fun again.

The guy knows how to coach. If Woodie had been coaching a winning franchise there wouldn't be any doubt. The fact that he dramatically improved the offensive ability of both teams speaks volumes. He is a Indy guy which will help with recruiting..

Archie had no fire. Woodson will correct that. Rebuild the culture. Will bring an offensive mentality without neglecting a sound defense.

If you're unhappy or if you wanted someone else, get over it. Woodson is going to surprise. He's not going to accept the mediocrity of the past few years. I'll bet the naysayers will be back shortly.

I think everybody will support Mike. However, I'm going to be skeptical until I see Mike perform like a Musselman/Howard combo.

Good post and well said. Many, myself included, have moaned and groaned the last several years about the lack of performance of our program. I personally could not care less about WHO the coach is, so long as they are able to compete annually for B1G titles, make deep runs in the tourney and have players who are great stewards of our program and university. Do I think this is a high bar? For a program of our history and bank roll and fan support, no, I do not. I can tolerate down years, but it cannot be the norm. I am all in on Coach Woodson and staff and I am sure that their expectations are the same, if not greater, than what mine are. Go IU!

Last edited:

Nba credibility? He was fired twice as a head coach and even fired as an assistant. That's credibility to you?

If it was this guy then why wait so long to work out a deal.

Reactions: DAG10
Nba credibility? He was fired twice as a head coach and even fired as an assistant. That's credibility to you?
Not saying Woodson is a guaranteed success as an IU head coach, but for perspective on the NBA coaching profession, most guys that have been pro head coaches have been fired at least once. Heck, wait a few months, and everyone's Plan A for this job is probably going to be looking for work.

or support like always be wait and see if results happen, it's been a long 20 years

Not saying Woodson is a guaranteed success as an IU head coach, but for perspective on the NBA coaching profession, most guys that have been pro head coaches have been fired at least once. Heck, wait a few months, and everyone's Plan A for this job is probably going to be looking for work.
Right, and no one has ever advocated hiring any of them unless they had an impressive college record as a head coach which he does not have.

You can say you will support him all you want, which I agree with, but you can also acknowledge this is a terrible hire. Which it is.

Let's see him build upon what Tom Allen has done. Get everybody excited and really into it. Fan excitement builds further buy-in from the team.

Crean was just goofy and Archie was just dull. Woodson can be that fierce coach loved by his players.
Agree Archie was dull. I do not know Woodson, I will meet his personality for the first time at the pressor. I assume he will tweet exisiting team members and we will see how many return.

I think everybody will support Mike. However, I'm going to be skeptical until I see Mike perform like a Musselman/Howard combo.
It's an out of the box move, no question. Sounds like they hired Woody to coach the players, and Matta to coach the coach. And I don't mean to be critical when I say that. It addresses the main concern people had with Woodson.

That said, it's going to be interesting how that plays out in real life (as opposed to "on paper"). I hope Woody, Matta, and Dolson are all on the same page about who is responsible for what, and who has the final say in all the various situations.

Right, and no one has ever advocated hiring any of them unless they had an impressive college record as a head coach which he does not have.

You can say you will support him all you want, which I agree with, but you can also acknowledge this is a terrible hire. Which it is.
Yeah, we've spent 20 years hiring coaches with impressive records, and what have we got to show for it? Doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results is the definition of insanity.

Woodson combined with Matta is a BOLD move on Dolson"s part. Bravo!

Change your name to sparkyleaves and take a hike.

It's an out of the box move, no question. Sounds like they hired Woody to coach the players, and Matta to coach the coach. And I don't mean to be critical when I say that. It addresses the main concern people had with Woodson.

That said, it's going to be interesting how that plays out in real life (as opposed to "on paper"). I hope Woody, Matta, and Dolson are all on the same page about who is responsible for what, and who has the final say in all the various situations.

I applaud Dolson on the creativity of this arrangement. We wanted something different and we got it.

Now, the naming of the staff is also going to be extremely interesting.

Also IU guys are going to be welcomed back, which didn't seem to be the case with Archie. Watch Knight get a little involved. Wouldn't be surprised for some of Woodson's NBA players to "assist" in the recruiting wars.

Reactions: IUbball_lifer

I'm hoping Thad just takes over as head coach at some point and Mike assists. Brad was my #1 choice, and a healthy Thad is roughly #2. I would take a sack of potatoes over Archie at this point, so I am glad he was fired and anybody else is now the head coach.

Reactions: Btownboom

More mediocrity- poor hire; never excelled in 20 years of coaching- what makes everyone think that is going to change- many kids saying who????

Let's see him build upon what Tom Allen has done. Get everybody excited and really into it. Fan excitement builds further buy-in from the team.
If I'm Dolson, my next campaign is to kick the "24 Sports, 1 Team" thing into high gear. Lets get the various teams involved with each other as much as possible. Have to whole damn football team at volleyball games, the baseball team at WBB practices, wrestlers at tennis matches, basketball players playing rounds with the golf team, and on and on. There's a lot to be learned from those who are dedicated to athletics, no matter the sport.

Allen and Moren and Yeagley and Mercer are building or maintaining successful programs. Lets have everyone learn how they're doing it and take that back to their own programs. We need "culture", sure, but how about instead of an "IU basketball culture", we have simply an IU Culture?

This hire does not have the pizazz of some but a "terrible hire". I don't think that determination can be made for a year or two.

The guy knows how to coach. If Woodie had been coaching a winning franchise there wouldn't be any doubt. The fact that he dramatically improved the offensive ability of both teams speaks volumes. He is a Indy guy which will help with recruiting..
And anyone who thinks that a guy who spent his entire adult life developing and leading young elite bball players won’t be able to build fast relationships with HS players doesn’t have a clue. He will knock it out of the park with parents, HS coaches, and players.

He’s certainly better than anyone other than Sampson, and he brings tons of goodwill and none of the drama.

This hire does not have the pizazz of some but a "terrible hire". I don't think that determination can be made for a year or two.
Not that long. The first time IU is down 10 in the first half of a game that Woodson is coaching (a game IU probably eventually wins) we'll have people posting here that Woodie sucks and IU will be lucky to win another game. Book it! ;)

Not that long. The first time IU is down 10 in the first half of a game that Woodson is coaching (a game IU probably eventually wins) we'll have people posting here that Woodie sucks and IU will be lucky to win another game. Book it! ;)
I have a bet who the first such poster will be. Can anyone hazard a guess?

Wasn't my choice, but he's going to be the next IU coach, so he's got my support. I hope he does a great job and turns this mess around. I know he loves IU, so that's a good start.

This is from wikipedia. In the 2012–13 season the Knicks under Woodson compiled a record of 54–28 and secured the second seed in the Eastern Conference. They reached the Eastern Conference Semifinals, where they lost to the Indiana Pacers in six games.

I said in another thread that his Hawks teams played well and how Woodson took them to the playoffs after an eight yr absence. The NBA is a hire and fire league. Players and coaches move around a lot. What you look for is how the teams play under the coach. I liked what I saw in Woodson during his limited head coaching experience.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT