ADVERTISEMENT

I like Fred Glass.

Aloha Hoosier

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 30, 2001
I love what he's done to upgrade facilities for all sports. The football stadium is something to be proud of now, it's outstanding, and the addition to the iconic Assembly Hall is incredible. Redoing the soccer stadium and golf course were long overdue and he's getting it done. The swimming and diving team are back on top of the Big Ten where they were back in the day, and the soccer team is a national championship contender every year. The baseball team is good every year now rather than an after thought. I also believe that his selection of Allen and Miller to coach the football and basketball teams respectively are extremely solid. I haven't been as optimistic as I am now for either sport for years. The future is so bright I need to wear sunglasses.

This thread will get the trolls all hot and bothered. :)

Fred has done an amazing job of taking in Big Ten Network money generated by other schools in the conference that take sports seriously. Yet our football and basketball facilities are still lacking. Purdue and Minnesota have better football facilities and Nebraska has a better basketball practice facility.

Basketball has missed the tourney 7 of the last 11 seasons under Glass and football has yet to finish with a winning record. That is an atrocious track record.

Then there are the numerous scandals and embarassments that have occured under his watch:

1) Ignoring the dreadful APR in Crean’s final seasons
2) Allowing Crean to not set a defined practice schedule which wore down his teams and pissed off both players and recruits
3) Giving Wilson a contract extension and then firing him less than a year later
4) Hiring Tom Allen with no coaching search
5) Nickel and diming football and even basketball

Last edited:
Fred has done an amazing job of taking in Big Ten Network money generated by other schools in the conference that take sports seriously. Yet our football and basketball facilities are still lacking. Purdue and Minneosta have better football facilities and Nebraska has a better basketball practice facility.

Basketball has missed the tourney 7 of the last 11 seasons under Glads and football has yet to finish with a winning record. That is an atrocious track record.
He's upgraded all of our facilities, most of IU's sports programs are nationally relevant, and he has made great coaching hires for football and basketball. What are you not understanding about that?

Reactions: ORG
He's upgraded all of our facilities, most of IU's sports programs are nationally relevant, and he has made great coaching hires for football and basketball. What are you not understanding about that?

How are Allen and Archie great coaching hires? Allen is 10-15 and Archie is 33-30.

Every school in the conference has upgraded facilities. With conference network money, that is the easiest thing an AD can do.

I love what he's done to upgrade facilities for all sports. The football stadium is something to be proud of now, it's outstanding, and the addition to the iconic Assembly Hall is incredible. Redoing the soccer stadium and golf course were long overdue and he's getting it done. The swimming and diving team are back on top of the Big Ten where they were back in the day, and the soccer team is a national championship contender every year. The baseball team is good every year now rather than an after thought. I also believe that his selection of Allen and Miller to coach the football and basketball teams respectively are extremely solid. I haven't been as optimistic as I am now for either sport for years. The future is so bright I need to wear sunglasses.

My wife could have done at least as good. She is great at spending money! Anybody can do that. She would probably have done a better job picking coaches though.

Bobinski at Purdue has done more in 2 1/2 years than Glass did in a decade.
Face it, Purdue has more football tradition than IU and henceforth will be able to get a better hire. And Purdue basketball is just fortunate to have a former player who is a good coach. IU doesn’t have that luxury, either.

How are Allen and Archie great coaching hires? Allen is 10-15 and Archie is 33-30.

Every school in the conference has upgraded facilities. With conference network money, that is the easiest thing an AD can do.
Keep yapping. You're only revealing your stupidity.

This is a joke, right
Glass should have been fired two years ago, my 5 year old grandson could’ve done better
Fire him now for god sakes
The good old boy network at IU has got to end, this is crazy
How many names do you use on this board? That's a serious question.

Reactions: whosyourholydaddy

His stewardship of the revenue generating sports leave a lot to be desired.

Face it, Purdue has more football tradition than IU and henceforth will be able to get a better hire. And Purdue basketball is just fortunate to have a former player who is a good coach. IU doesn’t have that luxury, either.

Purdue was a total dumpster fire of a program long removed from the Tiller years when it hired Brohm. But they did have an administration committed to winning, as exhibited by their sparkling football only complex and willingness to spend big bucks on a coach.

It is hard to attract a good coach to IU because the school has a justified reputation of neglecting and skimping on the program. It was only very recently it opened up the checkbook a bit to retain and hire staff and upgrade facilities.

I’m old enough to remember the days of Northwestern football and Oregon football. Absolutely zero tradition. Nothing. Not even competitive. They made great coaching hires along the way to where they stand today. It can be done if you have savvy leadership.

I’m old enough to remember the days of Northwestern football and Oregon football. Absolutely zero tradition. Nothing. Not even competitive. They made great coaching hires along the way to where they stand today. It can be done if you have savvy leadership.

Nike money made Oregon. Whoever hired Gary Barnett so he could recruit Fitz is the Wildcat’s savior.

Is Tom Crean posting on here now? Another Fred bromance developing. Facilities are nice- last 10 years in hoops and football, not so much.

Reactions: IUgradman
Hiring Allen cheaply without a coaching search = IU does not care about football.
This is why some of you are dumber than a bag of hammers - you think salary is the most important thing going. ;) Allen, like Miller, was an up and coming coach. We're lucky to have both.

Reactions: MrBing and Lillyr66

it's amazing how much better schools do with facilities after they win the lottery, than before they won it.

who knew?

that said, the NEZ was already a done deal when FG arrived, though i still think they could have done it much better by distancing it less from the field.

the SEZ did need filled in, though i'm still not sold that no seating other than the royal boxes was at all smart. but we know who, and only who, FG caters to.

looks like they've gutted the IU golf course that could have been something really great, had they just renovated, upgraded, and lengthened, the original course.

i'm sure it will be a very nice course, as they spent a fortune, is a great piece of land, and course building has pretty much been mastered at this point.

just not anything near what it could have been.

will give an update after it's complete, and i've played or walked it.

Reactions: mk23

I like tempered glass. It's stronger than regular glass and has made life better for mankind.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
This is why some of you are dumber than a bag of hammers - you think salary is the most important thing going. ;) Allen, like Miller, was an up and coming coach. We're lucky to have both.

"Up and coming" doesn't mean "up and guaranteed" it's guesswork based on success in a different environment. I think Allen is going to be good, Archie....I have much less confidence. While IU basketball and football had similar seasons, it felt and looked like to an outsider that IU football was fighting and competing. Basketball looked lost and disinterested in a whole lot of games.

Your golfing buddy I suppose...

Can't agree. The Allen hire was a fkn joke. Archie will be fine, but he allowed Crean to stay well too long.

Can't give him credit for spending money on facilities just like every other conf school has

Reactions: Rakkasan29
it's amazing how much better schools do with facilities after they win the lottery, than before they won it.

who knew?

that said, the NEZ was already a done deal when FG arrived, though i still think they could have done it much better by distancing it less from the field.

the SEZ did need filled in, though i'm still not sold that no seating other than the royal boxes was at all smart. but we know who, and only who, FG caters to.

looks like they've gutted the IU golf course that could have been something really great, had they just renovated, upgraded, and lengthened, the original course.

i'm sure it will be a very nice course, as they spent a fortune, is a great piece of land, and course building has pretty much been mastered at this point.

just not anything near what it could have been.

will give an update after it's complete, and i've played or walked it.

The golf course is going to be terrific, likely one of the top in the state. The old one was a pile of shit

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier

Reading this made me forget all about missing the tourney 7 out of last 11 years, 3 in a row.

I am now one pumped son of a beach.

Can't agree. The Allen hire was a fkn joke. Archie will be fine, but he allowed Crean to stay well too long.

Can't give him credit for spending money on facilities just like every other conf school has

What are you still doing here?
The field has been announced. It’s official.

Remember the bet.

On the bright side, Cool Dad will be offloading a TON of excess concession items at year end to pay for his golf cart during a home NIT game, assuming he doesn’t move it to Georgia Tech or Fed-Ex Field.

What are you still doing here?
The field has been announced. It’s official.

Remember the bet.

On the bright side, Cool Dad will be offloading a TON of excess concession items at year end to pay for his golf cart during a home NIT game, assuming he doesn’t move it to Georgia Tech or Fed-Ex Field.

Bye.

FO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT