ADVERTISEMENT

I Know This Would Never Happen, But...

SixthFlagComing

Freshman
Dec 15, 2012
... if I was king for a day, I wouldn't play a single starter during the Michigan game. Every freshman, scout team player, walk-on, etc. would play the entire day because, with the new redshirt rule, you can play them and not lose the shirt. Give the starters a bye week and let them rest for the PUke game. Michigan game means nothing - PUke game means a lot.

I know, I know, I know...not realistic. Not "tough guy" bravado. Defeatist attitude, etc.

It's just pragmatism

Your idea has merit, but it also throws in the towel on the Michigan contest. It's a damn shame that this is where we are as a program.

Regarding the Purdue game, I've said many times that playing them the first game of the season benefits Indiana. Indiana has historically been at their best early in the season. The big road upsets of Oregon and Missouri were obviously early season games. It'll never happen because we get so tied down to tradition.

Reactions: IUCol
Yeah that's what the players and recruits want to hear. Just give up.Why would you give up a shot to win as small as it is. We actually have played Michigan pretty tough the last few years and took them to OT last year.Who knows, maybe we catch them looking ahead to Ohio State.

Keep in mind that given Michigan’s current situation regarding the playoffs,they will not let up concerning the final score.
If Harbaugh can score 60,he will.
He’s a douche and the fact we ‘unjustly’ fired his bro in law,he would love to run it up on us if given the chance.

I disagree too but because IU has often played them well and Allen seems to realize “we just need play loose and aggressive” as they should. If OL can give some protection Ramsey should go deep and let the big fellas make some plays. Then maybe Scott (who I still think hits holes slow at times) can pound away on ground too.

Harbaugh knows IU is a trap game, but doesn’t mean the players, coming off easy win over Rutgers, aren’t thinking about their final game at OSU and not really IU at home.

IU should play loose, with a “what the hell” mentality and have fun in what would be a shock the nation signature upset if they won. (On national TV no less)

Of course IU is not favored but no one on board will be upset if they lose playing hard. But their pitch to recruits is “We have opportunity to play and beat the UM, OSU, PSU of world. Can’t go lay down like you propose.

And per PU game. Their bye was week was early in season. They got drubbed by MN and host Wisconsin next Saturday. Far from huge blowout fears some may have had only a few weeks ago. They lose to WI and they’ll be in desperation mode and tiring. Play on!

Reactions: stripetology
Yeah that's what the players and recruits want to hear. Just give up.Why would you give up a shot to win as small as it is. We actually have played Michigan pretty tough the last few years and took them to OT last year.Who knows, maybe we catch them looking ahead to Ohio State.
This isn't a bad place to have Michigan (if you have to play them at all). Regardless of how much the coaching staff preaches, you know their players are looking ahead. It would be better if we were at home, though.

I'm not in the camp of not playing our best players at all, but I would be very careful with anybody who might be dinged up with shoulders, ankles, etc. We need to be as close to 100% as possible the following week. If at some point in the game we realize that winning is probably not happening, I would get my starters out. Again, the problem is you can only dress a limited number for a road game.

I'm curious how Michigan will play it if they are sure of a win early in the second half. Will they rest guys for the OSU game or will they pour it on in hopes of improving their national playoff seeding ? Of course, how badly they beat IU probably doesn't mean much. They have to beat the Buckeyes and then Northwestern or they are out of the picture anyway.

Reactions: IUCol

I understand what you're saying. I really do. But, allow me to draw some loose parallels (they aren't all perfect...I know):

1) NFL teams that have already made the playoffs resting their starters
2) NBA players resting their players throughout the season - for no reason at all
3) Baseball teams issuing intentional walks
4) Golfers conceding holes in match play in which they're terribly behind

In my opinion, the absolute WORST outcome for us at Michigan would be we "give them all they can handle" and lose. We get a few key players injured, work really hard, play really hard and are no better off than we were if we had rested and protected everyone. Again, I know it's never going to happen, but still...

I wouldnt let Peyton Ramsey run around and get hit. We've all seen this story before. How many times have we lost a QB at the absolute time we couldnt afford to. Not having him is 1 reason PU beat us last year. Make sure he plays that game.

I wouldnt let Peyton Ramsey run around and get hit. We've all seen this story before. How many times have we lost a QB at the absolute time we couldnt afford to. Not having him is 1 reason PU beat us last year. Make sure he plays that game.

Peyton played very well yesterday (though he tends to make that one bad decision pick a game that I am surprised he keeps doing). But I still say they should try a few Taylor packages to shake things up, will give Ramsey some rest and bc Taylor is a playmaker as well.

Peyton played very well yesterday (though he tends to make that one bad decision pick a game that I am surprised he keeps doing). But I still say they should try a few Taylor packages to shake things up, will give Ramsey some rest and bc Taylor is a playmaker as well.

I would against Purdue. I'd use trick plays, fake FGs. WR passes. Allen should give Brohm a taste of his own medicine.

I do not think Ramsey’s pick was a bad decision al all. The ball got tipped at the LOS and ended up right in the hands of the DB. How is that Ramsey’s bad decision?

I understand what you're saying. I really do. But, allow me to draw some loose parallels (they aren't all perfect...I know):

1) NFL teams that have already made the playoffs resting their starters
2) NBA players resting their players throughout the season - for no reason at all
3) Baseball teams issuing intentional walks
4) Golfers conceding holes in match play in which they're terribly behind

In my opinion, the absolute WORST outcome for us at Michigan would be we "give them all they can handle" and lose. We get a few key players injured, work really hard, play really hard and are no better off than we were if we had rested and protected everyone. Again, I know it's never going to happen, but still...
The other issue is that many of these kids come to IU for a chance to play at a place like UM in front of that kind of crowd. And in addition to the fact that it will also be a great learning experience that may be quite valuable in the future to these younger guys when they travel to UM, PSU and OSU in future years and you should give them a shot at it.

Like you I hope we do not get dinged up any more and don’t extend ourselves too much but they did just have a week off so they should be good for a three week run.

I do not think Ramsey’s pick was a bad decision al all. The ball got tipped at the LOS and ended up right in the hands of the DB. How is that Ramsey’s bad decision?

I had kids event so only heard that on radio and didn’t sound like a great throw- believe they insinuated could have thrown it away. I could be wrong but I do say he playe well 90% time but does have a lapse or two plays a game that either get picked or almost whet usually is bc he tries to force it. But he’s a grinder and I don’t blame any seasons woes only on him by a long shot.

He's a sophomore...

Not a criticism...just a question...Do we really want to show that package before the PU game?

Reactions: muubell
Your idea has merit, but it also throws in the towel on the Michigan contest. It's a damn shame that this is where we are as a program.

Regarding the Purdue game, I've said many times that playing them the first game of the season benefits Indiana. Indiana has historically been at their best early in the season. The big road upsets of Oregon and Missouri were obviously early season games. It'll never happen because we get so tied down to tradition.
oregon beat themselves. i think they turned it over 7 times. just like yesterday. maryland kicked our ass up and down the field. if not for the 3 fumbles we lose by 20. told my wife after we took the lead at the end that we we lose unless maryland turns it over because they were just going to ram it down our throat.

Reactions: IUgradman
because the qb has to account for throwing lanes and that includes the linemen

I had kids event so only heard that on radio and didn’t sound like a great throw- believe they insinuated could have thrown it away. I could be wrong but I do say he playe well 90% time but does have a lapse or two plays a game that either get picked or almost whet usually is bc he tries to force it. But he’s a grinder and I don’t blame any seasons woes only on him by a long shot.
i like ramsey too but he made a confounding decision early. while being chased on a third down play he ran out of bounds for a 5 yd loss when he could have chucked the ball out of bounds. bad choice for a smart kid like him

Reactions: IUgradman
Not a criticism...just a question...Do we really want to show that package before the PU game?

I would be fine trying to win BOTH games and even if you know RT is coming, you still have to be ready for a change from PR. I'm not really conceding the Um game as if we're going to go be a pounding board game for them. Hope the players don't either.

i like ramsey too but he made a confounding decision early. while being chased on a third down play he ran out of bounds for a 5 yd loss when he could have chucked the ball out of bounds. bad choice for a smart kid like him

We need guys like you - guys who always look for and find the negative and point it out.

Thanks for your efforts.

Reactions: Walt542
Like I said elsewhere. he's a sophomore...

I’ll add a positive on Ramsey:

He had 3 point-blank balls thrown to his TE who dropped all of them. They only hit the guy right in his hands. What more could you ask for? The pass down the sideline to Donovan Hale where he completely wiffed on a ball right to him and the defender behind him was not Peyton’s fault whatsoever.

... if I was king for a day, I wouldn't play a single starter during the Michigan game. Every freshman, scout team player, walk-on, etc. would play the entire day because, with the new redshirt rule, you can play them and not lose the shirt. Give the starters a bye week and let them rest for the PUke game. Michigan game means nothing - PUke game means a lot.

I know, I know, I know...not realistic. Not "tough guy" bravado. Defeatist attitude, etc.

It's just pragmatism
Coach Knight actually did something similar in 1989 but it backfired. IU had wrapped up the Big Ten regular season title the week before the Iowa (?) game. I believe it was on the road. We naturally lost the game and also the # 1 seed. We got a # 2 seed. I didn't agree with Coach Knight's decision but I still supported him and the team. I don't always agree with IU's coaches but I always support them.

oregon beat themselves. i think they turned it over 7 times. just like yesterday. maryland kicked our ass up and down the field. if not for the 3 fumbles we lose by 20. told my wife after we took the lead at the end that we we lose unless maryland turns it over because they were just going to ram it down our throat.
Nice troll job you obviously need to change your handle. Anyone with a hint of a football IQ knows we forced those turnovers. Dumb post!

I’ll add a positive on Ramsey:

He had 3 point-blank balls thrown to his TE who dropped all of them. They only hit the guy right in his hands. What more could you ask for? The pass down the sideline to Donovan Hale where he completely wiffed on a ball right to him and the defender behind him was not Peyton’s fault whatsoever.
Yea Hendershot must have been hung over that was ridiculous 3 drops right on the money. Hale too.

It's just pragmatism
Better yet, why don’t we just forfeit the last two games? And all of next year’s while we are at it? Just let everybody keep their buckets and spittoons and just let the boys rest?

It was a very crowded frame.....that's the downside of throwing 4 yard passes on second and nine......any tip by a lineman or the WR and the defenders are there to intercept.

Reactions: Bligedy
Coach Knight actually did something similar in 1989 but it backfired. IU had wrapped up the Big Ten regular season title the week before the Iowa (?) game. I believe it was on the road. We naturally lost the game and also the # 1 seed. We got a # 2 seed. I didn't agree with Coach Knight's decision but I still supported him and the team. I don't always agree with IU's coaches but I always support them.
even sampson?

Better yet, why don’t we just forfeit the last two games? And all of next year’s while we are at it? Just let everybody keep their buckets and spittoons and just let the boys rest?

We just need to get to a place where we are not expending all our energy trying to beat OSU, UM, PSU, and MSU and then losing the games we could or should win. Quality depth is what is needed and hopefully we will get there soon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT