ADVERTISEMENT

I hope the NBA doesn't infest us

Stuffshot

Hall of Famer
Feb 20, 2008
The prototype NBA team right now has zero true "centers".

They have one or maybe two Kevin Durants/Johnathan Benders and 4-5-6 gunners who shoot three pointers PLUS silly rules that basically say anyone who puts a fingertip on a protected player (i.e. little guy) has fouled.

If the $$$$$-conscious NCAA adopts any rules that encourage this, I hope the $$$$$-conscious NCAA also moves the NCAA three-point line out to where the NBA line is.

They have one or maybe two Kevin Durants/Johnathan Benders and 4-5-6 gunners who shoot three pointers PLUS silly rules that basically say anyone who puts a fingertip on a protected player (i.e. little guy) has fouled.

If the $$$$$-conscious NCAA adopts any rules that encourage this, I hope the $$$$$-conscious NCAA also moves the NCAA three-point line out to where the NBA line is.
It's because you are seeing more and more 6'9-6'11 4's that can run and shoot and less true post players. Also with the size of the guards you want the lane cleared for these guys to penetrate.

Mr. Bender, is that you?

WTF is Johnathon Bender...could a notable player not been referenced?

Reactions: Kentucky31
What is meant by a true center. One who is to slow and one dimensional to defend and play outisde the paint. I think the NBA has plenty of players who can play in the post. More and more of the younger ones are learning they must defend to the perimeter. IMO, this is just a transition period. Still, Marc Gasol, Cousins, Towns, Whiteside, Valencuinus, Deandre Jordan, Rudy Gobert, Nurkic, and Anthony Davis are doing just fine. Even Javale McGee is looking solid. They could all exist in the old days of being restricted to the paint.

What is meant by a true center. One who is to slow and one dimensional to defend and play outisde the paint. I think the NBA has plenty of players who can play in the post. More and more of the younger ones are learning they must defend to the perimeter. IMO, this is just a transition period. Still, Marc Gasol, Cousins, Towns, Whiteside, Valencuinus, Deandre Jordan, Rudy Gobert, Nurkic, and Anthony Davis are doing just fine. Even Javale McGee is looking solid. They could all exist in the old days of being restricted to the paint.
What I consider a true low post guy is a player you can throw the ball into and he can play with his back to the basket. A player who has good low post moves and can do more than just bury his head down and steam roll to the basket.

Reactions: IU Hardcore
ADVERTISEMENT