ADVERTISEMENT

I Hope The Miscreants

MyTeamIsOnTheFloor

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2001
Duckburg
who spray painted the homes of Nancy Pelosi and Mitch McConnell this week are caught and sent to prison for many many years.

The time has come to teach criminals ... again .... that being a criminal is a poor choice. But it is a free country and a personal choice, and you are entitled to make it, so long as you are willing to accept the consequence.

Don’t do the crime if you can’t do the time.
Don’t do it.

who spray painted the homes of Nancy Pelosi and Mitch McConnell this week are caught and sent to prison for many many years.

The time has come to teach criminals ... again .... that being a criminal is a poor choice. But it is a free country and a personal choice, and you are entitled to make it, so long as you are willing to accept the consequence.

Don’t do it.

It’s kind of strange that they both happened on the same night. Coincidence or coordinated ?

Don’t do it.

With as many idiots as there are walking around, you'd think that the senate and house leaders would provide security for their homes.

Depending on which jersey one wears...one is a criminal and one is a righteous warrior.
When I think about McConnell refusing to let the Senate even consider (1) Obama's nomination for the Supreme Court, (2) dozens of Obama's nominations for district judges and (3) hundreds of bills passed over the past two years by the U.S. House of Representatives, it's impossible to think McConnell is furthering the American system of government.

Reactions: StelioKontos
When I think about McConnell refusing to let the Senate even consider (1) Obama's nomination for the Supreme Court, (2) dozens of Obama's nominations for district judges and (3) hundreds of bills passed over the past two years by the U.S. House of Representatives, it's impossible to think McConnell is furthering the American system of government.

right on cue from the left

c'mon righties, jump right in.

I do not agree with this vandalism in the least but it is ironic how we from the state of Indiana do make fun of Kentuckians and their intelligence. And I’m sure they do the same about us. Just looking at the front door it had to be a Kentuckian who painted it as they couldn’t spell ‘where’s’.

Nope.

The Constitution says the Senate Majority Leader has that power.
That EXACT power.
Without regard to which party has the majority at any one time.

Your list is about things Democrats wanted at the end of the Obama administration and didn't get, and interpretations of the Constitution that were not accepted by your political opponents.

Republicans can make a similar list and voice the exact same "they aren't furthering America" complaint to things as they occurred under Harry Reid.

In fact, both sides can always say the exact same thing about each period of time when "the other side" had/has the Senate majority. Ad nauseum.

Just because one side doesn't get what they want does NOT mean the American system of government is not being furthered. To the contrary - it is EXACTLY how the American system of government was designed to work.

The election winners run things for a short time and the other side whines and blames. Then the roles are reversed for a while. It was all made worse and more visible by radio, then TV, then cable, and now social media.

When there is CONSENSUS, things happen. Laws are passed and executed and administrered.
When there is NOT CONSENSUS, there is either compromise (or used to be) or nothing gets passed.

It works until one side refuses to accept the results and decides they are so much more moral, and so much more smart, that they DESERVE to run things - regardless of election results. Having multiple levels of representation in the House based on population, and equal representations in the Senate without regard to population, and protections of minorities built into the Constitution and the electoral college, and judicial review of all of it, suddenly becomes inconvenient. THEY are far too important and far too right to be impeded by those things.

Now they begin to think and act on how to TAKE power. Government elective office becomes about telling others what to do instead of serving by making what has been agreed-upon work. (This is why I tell my friends who get elected "you are ONLY a judge" or "you are ONLY a Senator" - make sure they know thier place is BELOW a citizen - they are a servant, not a ruler - a servant, not a king.)

"I want what I want and if I don't get it I will pitch a fit or vandalize or burn your stuff" is not the American system of government either. It is not a system of government at all. At best, it is the child's way of trying to get candy in a store, and needs to be dealt with in the same manner. At its most dangerous, it is a path toward fascism, or Nazism, or pick-an-ism.

EQUAL PROCESS - not EQUAL RESULT - is what assures us all equal opportunity to go do what we what and seek what what we want - high or low. We have the right to sit and sleep in high school, become a dumbass, graduate as a functional illiterate, and live like PWT. But you don't have a right to suddenly decide you too are entitled a Lexus, and will burn the courthouse if anybody objects to you taking one from your neighbor or eepriving him of one he earned - even one YOU think he DID NOT EARN.

You are also not entitled to a corrupt judge who will simply ignore the law and "decide for you" - which is what is at the root of the claim that one party should not use the Senate Judiciary Committee to get or delay judicial appointments. For example, everyone who thought Justice Roberts was just supposed to ignore the Constitution and all precedent and undo Obama Care, or reject gay marriage, were just as wrong as the folks who thought/think they should be allowed to "put my guy" on the bench because he will [do what I want]." Roberts followed the law - not the politics. No one should have been shocked - but the Toxans were. Still are.

The best judges are ones with the character and strength to say "if XYZ is what you want, your remedy is to get the legislature to pass that law or get your fellow citizens to amend the Constitution to say that." The judge who will just make it up and rule they way THEY PERSONALLY think the law SHOULD be - they should be impeached and disbarred. Because if the judges are doing their job, the Senate Judiciary Committee becomes LESS powerful, and nobody gives a shit who runs it, and nobody has enough power to "deserve" grafitti on their house, put there by cowards who ride in the night - just like the Klan did. (Wonder why that is? Maybe if you are really RIGHT you need not fear the LIGHT - so antifa-types and Klan-types both ride at night? Hmmm.)

Anyway - we can vote or we can fight.
I'll vote and accept my wins and losses - as long as I am allowed.

Nope.

That EXACT power.

Your list is about things Democrats wanted at the end of the Obama administration and didn't get, and interpretations of the Constitution that were not accepted by your political opponents.

Republicans can make a similar list and voice the exact same "they aren't furthering America" complaint to things as they occurred under Harry Reid.

In fact, both sides can always say the exact same thing about each period of time when "the other side" had/has the Senate majority. Ad nauseum.

Just because one side doesn't get what they want does NOT mean the American system of government is not being furthered. To the contrary - it is EXACTLY how the American system of government was designed to work.

The election winners run things for a short time and the other side whines and blames. Then the roles are reversed for a while. It was all made worse and more visible by radio, then TV, then cable, and now social media.

When there is CONSENSUS, things happen. Laws are passed and executed and administrered.
When there is NOT CONSENSUS, there is either compromise (or used to be) or nothing gets passed.

It works until one side refuses to accept the results and decides they are so much more moral, and so much more smart, that they DESERVE to run things - regardless of election results. Having multiple levels of representation in the House based on population, and equal representations in the Senate without regard to population, and protections of minorities built into the Constitution and the electoral college, and judicial review of all of it, suddenly becomes inconvenient. THEY are far too important and far too right to be impeded by those things.

Now they begin to think and act on how to TAKE power. Government elective office becomes about telling others what to do instead of serving by making what has been agreed-upon work. (This is why I tell my friends who get elected "you are ONLY a judge" or "you are ONLY a Senator" - make sure they know thier place is BELOW a citizen - they are a servant, not a ruler - a servant, not a king.)

"I want what I want and if I don't get it I will pitch a fit or vandalize or burn your stuff" is not the American system of government either. It is not a system of government at all. At best, it is the child's way of trying to get candy in a store, and needs to be dealt with in the same manner. At its most dangerous, it is a path toward fascism, or Nazism, or pick-an-ism.

EQUAL PROCESS - not EQUAL RESULT - is what assures us all equal opportunity to go do what we what and seek what what we want - high or low. We have the right to sit and sleep in high school, become a dumbass, graduate as a functional illiterate, and live like PWT. But you don't have a right to suddenly decide you too are entitled a Lexus, and will burn the courthouse if anybody objects to you taking one from your neighbor or eepriving him of one he earned - even one YOU think he DID NOT EARN.

You are also not entitled to a corrupt judge who will simply ignore the law and "decide for you" - which is what is at the root of the claim that one party should not use the Senate Judiciary Committee to get or delay judicial appointments. For example, everyone who thought Justice Roberts was just supposed to ignore the Constitution and all precedent and undo Obama Care, or reject gay marriage, were just as wrong as the folks who thought/think they should be allowed to "put my guy" on the bench because he will [do what I want]." Roberts followed the law - not the politics. No one should have been shocked - but the Toxans were. Still are.

The best judges are ones with the character and strength to say "if XYZ is what you want, your remedy is to get the legislature to pass that law or get your fellow citizens to amend the Constitution to say that." The judge who will just make it up and rule they way THEY PERSONALLY think the law SHOULD be - they should be impeached and disbarred. Because if the judges are doing their job, the Senate Judiciary Committee becomes LESS powerful, and nobody gives a shit who runs it, and nobody has enough power to "deserve" grafitti on their house, put there by cowards who ride in the night - just like the Klan did. (Wonder why that is? Maybe if you are really RIGHT you need not fear the LIGHT - so antifa-types and Klan-types both ride at night? Hmmm.)

The posts of majority and minority leader are not included in the Constitution, as are the president of the Senate (the vice president of the United States) and the president pro tempore. Instead, party floor leadership evolved out of necessity.

• Haha
Reactions: IUINSB and Zizkov
Nope.

That EXACT power.

You went to a lot of trouble to write all that in the face of being wrong saying "The Constitution says the Senate Majority Leader has that power" and "it is EXACTLY how the American system of government was designed to work."

The power of the Senate Majority Leader is definitely not provided by the Constitution and was not designed that way by the founding fathers:

• Haha
Reactions: Zizkov

Correct. But ...

They “evolved” as provided by ... wait fer it .... the Constitution.

The power exercised by McConnell is EXACTLY provided for by the Constitution.

Article I, Section 1 puts all legislative powers in the House and Senate.

Article 1, Section 3 says the Senate chooses its own officers. (Actually "shall chuse.")

Article 1, Section 5 says the Senate (and the House) "may determine the Rules of its Proceedings ...".

Article 2, Section 2 says the President appopints Supreme Court justices, with the "Advice and Consent" of the Senate.

Thus, ergo, to wit, edamame - the Constitution does say that McConnell (and any other Senate Majority leader) has the EXACT power being discussed.

You went to a lot of trouble to write all that in the face of being wrong saying "The Constitution says the Senate Majority Leader has that power" and "it is EXACTLY how the American system of government was designed to work."

The power of the Senate Majority Leader is definitely not provided by the Constitution and was not designed that way by the founding fathers:

You.
Are.
Wrong.
Again.

Your link is NOT the Constitution.
My explanation quotes the Constitution.

Legbranch.org is just a bunch of gum-flappers.

The Senate makes their own rules.
The Senate interprets their own rules - until such time as the Supreme Court rules one of them unconsititutional.

The Senate and SCOTUS - not your gumflappers - decide what power a Senate Majority leader has.

And - according to the Senate and its actual practices - not its practices as desired and envisioned by gumflappers - - the Senate Majority Leader decides which bills get discussed/voted on and when, and when SCOTUS appointees get considered/voted upon.

Unless you can now cite us to a Supreme Court decision that says otherwise, please delete your account, because your wishes (and in fact, mine) don't mean crap.

Law is law.
Wishes aint.

If you don't LIKE the rule as practiced and applied by the U.S. Senate, then stand for election and go try to change it. But it won't be easy. First, I doubt you could get elected Senator from your state. Then, I doubt you could get enough Senators to vote to change or otherwise interpret differently the Senate rules. But this is America and you have the right to go for it. Or, as they folk where I grew up used to say, "fog it on."

You.
Are.
Wrong.
Again.

The Senate interprets their own rules - until such time as the Supreme Court rules one of them unconsititutional.

The Senate and SCOTUS - not your gumflappers - decide what power a Senate Majority leader has.

And - according to the Senate and its actual practices - not its practices as desired and envisioned by gumflappers - - the Senate Majority Leader decides which bills get discussed/voted on and when, and when SCOTUS appointees get considered/voted upon.

Unless you can now cite us to a Supreme Court decision that says otherwise, please delete your account, because your wishes (and in fact, mine) don't mean crap.

Law is law.
Wishes aint.

If you don't LIKE the rule as practiced and applied by the U.S. Senate, then stand for election and go try to change it. But it won't be easy. First, I doubt you could get elected Senator from your state. Then, I doubt you could get enough Senators to vote to change or otherwise interpret differently the Senate rules. But this is America and you have the right to go for it. Or, as they folk where I grew up used to say, "fog it on."
Actually, your Post No. 11 above absolutely does not "quote the Constitution." You're entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to misrepresent what the Constitution says. Quit lying.

Actually, your Post No. 11 above absolutely does not "quote the Constitution." You're entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to misrepresent what the Constitution says. Quit lying.
You are wrong because he quoted the Constitution and he said the rules were made up by the Senate not the Constitution so you need to read his post better.

I did not say my post No. 11 quoted the Constitution. YOU chose that one. Conveniently. To "make" a point that turned out to be wrong. Again.
My post No. 14, i.e. "my explanation," which is what I said "quotes the Constitution," quotes the Constitution.
It even uses quotation marks.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcmurtry66
You.
Are.
Wrong.
Again.

Law is law.
Wishes aint.

Everything you say is correct. Keep that in mind if/when the filibuster is eliminated and the number of federal court judges and Supreme Court Justices is adjusted.

Everything you say is correct. Keep that in mind if/when the filibuster is eliminated and the number of federal court judges and Supreme Court Justices is adjusted.

You are right, and wrong.

It's Constitutional to expand the court, or change the 60% closure vote to simple majority, or delete the filibuster.

Very unwise, but legal.

Since it is very unwise, I fully expect the Democrats to do it almost immediately if they get the Senate.

They have been throwing a fit in the candy aisle for years, and they think its their time to eat.

Look - here they come - Mommie in tow just in case they need to take their ball and go home!

v1.aDs2NzI3O2o7MTg2MzA7MTIwMDs0NTA7MzA2

You are right, and wrong.

It's Constitutional to expand the court, or change the 60% closure vote to simple majority, or delete the filibuster.

Very unwise, but legal.

Since it is very unwise, I fully expect the Democrats to do it almost immediately if they get the Senate.

They have been throwing a fit in the candy aisle for years, and they think its their time to eat.

Look - here they come - Mommie in tow just in case they need to take their ball and go home!

v1.aDs2NzI3O2o7MTg2MzA7MTIwMDs0NTA7MzA2
Did you think it unwise when the GOP refused to give Garland a vote?

Did you think it unwise when the GOP refused to give Garland a vote?

In the short term, politically, at the time, a little. In the long run, it was a blip. Much like the mistreatment of Bork and others, it’s effect was mostly political. But changing a rule on how things happen - that is still different than mistreating a single nominee.

My main concern is still the underlying assumption that a political party should reasonably expect that a judge they appoint will ignore the law and rule “for them.“

You are wrong because he quoted the Constitution and he said the rules were made up by the Senate not the Constitution so you need to read his post better.
Rulemaking is actually the whole issue, isn't it?

I have given up on MTIOTF after rereading all his posts I could find (including the ones that were not directed to me). All he points to is some very short, general language in the Constitution that authorizes the Senate to create rules and choose its officers. MTIOTF then claims the Constitutional authority to create rules specifically authorizes the Senate leaders to use those rules to ignore all of a President's judicial nominations and to ignore all legislation passed by the House of Representatives (the two things that I raised).

Think about that. If MTIOTF is correct about the
breadth of rulemaking authority, then the Senate could adopt a "rule" authorizing its majority leader to prohibit the opposing party from even voting or speaking on the floor, or prohibit consideration of any legislation advancing civil rights or habeas corpus or free speech. I don't think rulemaking authority extends to authorize unilateral one-man determination of substantive issues, nor was this intended by the founders (who had just spent 10 years fighting the tyranny of George III).

MTIOTF was correct on one point though, i.e., that no President or Congress member has the right to expect judges to rule solely in favor of the officeholders that nominated or confirmed them. From memory, I believe Lincoln, FDR, Nixon, Bush Jr. and now Trump were all surprised to suffer adverse rulings from Supreme Court justices they appointed.

Rulemaking is actually the whole issue, isn't it?

I have given up on MTIOTF after rereading all his posts I could find (including the ones that were not directed to me). All he points to is some very short, general language in the Constitution that authorizes the Senate to create rules and choose its officers. MTIOTF then claims the Constitutional authority to create rules specifically authorizes the Senate leaders to use those rules to ignore all of a President's judicial nominations and to ignore all legislation passed by the House of Representatives (the two things that I raised).

Think about that. If MTIOTF is correct about the
breadth of rulemaking authority, then the Senate could adopt a "rule" authorizing its majority leader to prohibit the opposing party from even voting or speaking on the floor, or prohibit consideration of any legislation advancing civil rights or habeas corpus or free speech. I don't think rulemaking authority extends to authorize unilateral one-man determination of substantive issues, nor was this intended by the founders (who had just spent 10 years fighting the tyranny of George III).

MTIOTF was correct on one point though, i.e., that no President or Congress member has the right to expect judges to rule solely in favor of the officeholders that nominated or confirmed them. From memory, I believe Lincoln, FDR, Nixon, Bush Jr. and now Trump were all surprised to suffer adverse rulings from Supreme Court justices they appointed.

I am pretty sure you misspelled, "I'm sorry - I was wrong - you were right - and I apologize for calling you a liar."

I am pretty sure you misspelled, "I'm sorry - I was wrong - you were right - and I apologize for calling you a liar."
Your Post 11 says, "The Constitution says the Senate Majority Leader has that power. That EXACT power."

Could you please provide the article and section of the Constitution that describes the power to which you were referring? Thanks.

I ask only in case you were referring to something other than rulemaking and leader choosing,

• Haha
Your Post 11 says, "The Constitution says the Senate Majority Leader has that power. That EXACT power."

Could you please provide the article and section of the Constitution that describes the power to which you were referring? Thanks.

I ask only in case you were referring to something other than rulemaking and leader choosing,

You suck at spelling.

Also.

In the short term, politically, at the time, a little. In the long run, it was a blip. Much like the mistreatment of Bork and others, it’s effect was mostly political. But changing a rule on how things happen - that is still different than mistreating a single nominee.

My main concern is still the underlying assumption that a political party should reasonably expect that a judge they appoint will ignore the law and rule “for them.“
[/QU
Well, I think many find it a bit hypocritical that Mitch stated it was an election year, so let’s let the people decide. Then suddenly this year, they force through a candidate when voting had already begun. I’ve been against adding to the court, but now I really don’t care.

I apologize for calling you a liar. (You're still wrong as hell, though.)

Thank you.

But ... I'm 100% right as hell. And stubborn too.

The Constitution says the Senate makes its rules.
The Senate says the Majority Leader decides.
Ergo ipso facto addendum kama sutra, McConnell has EXACTLY that power under the Constitution, because of the Constitution, consistent with the Constitution, allowed by the Constitution ... et cetera EXACTLY.

And its a 2-way street. McConnell also just dumped a vote on a politically-motivated bill to give people a $2,000 check. He has to take that heat .. if he can. (Do you believe that bill was offered/attempted because Schumer/Pelosi wanted people to have $2,000, or because they wanted to force McConnell to say no to THAT to kill the pork in the bill .. all before before the Georgia elections? Do you think they wanted people to have $2,000 ...or wanted all that other money in that bill spent the way they wanted it spent? "Make em vote on it" is the oldest, well, second oldest, political trick in the political book.)

Your game was semantics.
Carefully selected and crafted word play to create toxic partisan argument.
What is meant by "says"?
What is meant by "explanation"?
Can we fight over No. 11 and ignore No. 14?

My game was political reality.

So...now that all that is settled, do you think the Russian bots elected Trump? And Chinese software elected Biden? Wanna argue about what the definition of is .. is? Are there lizard people shooting missiles at ATT stores?

(However, I at least congratulate and thank you on refusing to call anyone who disagrees with you a racist - which has been the main playbook around these parts for too long. Well done, partially.)

Aguing that a political act is a hypocritical act is usually (not always) redundant, unless one only argues about the acts of the other side, and it then becomes hypocritical too.

And the exercise of political power is always, umm, "harsh" :

Reactions: Rockport Zebra
Thank you.

But ... I'm 100% right as hell. And stubborn too.

The Constitution says the Senate makes its rules.
The Senate says the Majority Leader decides.
Ergo ipso facto addendum kama sutra, McConnell has EXACTLY that power under the Constitution, because of the Constitution, consistent with the Constitution, allowed by the Constitution ... et cetera EXACTLY.

And its a 2-way street. McConnell also just dumped a vote on a politically-motivated bill to give people a $2,000 check. He has to take that heat .. if he can. (Do you believe that bill was offered/attempted because Schumer/Pelosi wanted people to have $2,000, or because they wanted to force McConnell to say no to THAT to kill the pork in the bill .. all before before the Georgia elections? Do you think they wanted people to have $2,000 ...or wanted all that other money in that bill spent the way they wanted it spent? "Make em vote on it" is the oldest, well, second oldest, political trick in the political book.)

Your game was semantics.
Carefully selected and crafted word play to create toxic partisan argument.
What is meant by "says"?
What is meant by "explanation"?
Can we fight over No. 11 and ignore No. 14?

My game was political reality.

So...now that all that is settled, do you think the Russian bots elected Trump? And Chinese software elected Biden? Wanna argue about what the definition of is .. is? Are there lizard people shooting missiles at ATT stores?

(However, I at least congratulate and thank you on refusing to call anyone who disagrees with you a racist - which has been the main playbook around these parts for too long. Well done, partially.)

All McConnell had to do was bring the $2000 for a vote. Everything else was already signed off on. Pelosi and company didn't add anything extra, it was McConnell that added more to the bill, so what exactly are you taking about "killing the pork in the bill"? All the house did was vote on the 2 grand.

Pelosi called the bluff of McConnell and the Republicans in the senate wanting to help out Americans and she was right.

All McConnell had to do was bring the $2000 for a vote. Everything else was already signed off on. Pelosi and company didn't add anything extra, it was McConnell that added more to the bill, so what exactly are you taking about "killing the pork in the bill"? All the house did was vote on the 2 grand.

Pelosi called the bluff of McConnell and the Republicans in the senate wanting to help out Americans and she was right.
She is a great American leader. Statesmanship is her lasting legacy.

Nope.

That EXACT power.

Burn any good books lately?

ADVERTISEMENT