ADVERTISEMENT

I hope TB sees the clip

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
where the ESPN announcer says something to the effect that there is not a player in the college basketball who whines more than TB about his foul calls.

I don't see him playing in the NBA - not of defense anyway. His "drives" to the basket where he morphs from 6-10" to 5'10" with a lowered shoulder are incredulous. What does the coaching staff say when he does it in practice? He plays with effort but he does not think.

De'Ron Davis can't stay in any game because of foul trouble. At least he does not whine.

I don't think I have ever seen less production out of centers that have some god given talent.

Last edited:
What does the coaching staff say when he does it in practice? He plays with effort put be does not think.
Have you never listened to Crean about "one more dribble near the rim isn't a bad thing"... did you not watch the Syracuse tourney game where Zeller kept doing it and getting blocked over and over?

It goes like this, "lower shoulder beneath the defender, extend through, and make a power dribble to the rim." It's exactly what he wants them do to. Yes, we all learned that dribbling at that height makes a 7ftr, 6'5, and it should be avoided but we're not the coach who has reinvented how basketball is played.

fwiw - the philosophy of one more dribble is a good one for high vertical athletes who tend to float to the basket, (like Victor) but not so much for short PG's (like Yogi) who get stuck sometimes as they have no other option, and certainly not big men (like Bryant) and especially not against a 2/3 zone. (like Zeller)

Have you never listened to Crean about "one more dribble near the rim isn't a bad thing"... did you not watch the Syracuse tourney game where Zeller kept doing it and getting blocked over and over?

It goes like this, "lower shoulder beneath the defender, extend through, and make a power dribble to the rim." It's exactly what he wants them do to. Yes, we all learned that dribbling at that height makes a 7ftr, 6'5, and it should be avoided but we're not the coach who has reinvented how basketball is played.

fwiw - the philosophy of one more dribble is a good one for high vertical athletes who tend to float to the basket, (like Victor) but not so much for short PG's (like Yogi) who get stuck sometimes as they have no other option, and certainly not big men (like Bryant) and especially not against a 2/3 zone. (like Zeller)

That game was the beginning of the end.

Game plan:

Step 1: Get the ball to Cody at the elbow

Step 2: ?

Hammer meets nail! His centers being coached to play way too low make them easy targets for shot blocking and it does nothing to get the opposing center in foul trouble. Terrible coaching.

That game was the beginning of the end.

Game plan:

Step 1: Get the ball to Cody at the elbow

Step 2: ?

The amazing thing was watching Michigan handle the 'Cuse zone 2 weeks later by getting, imo, a much less talented and lesser shooter in Mitch McGary, to the elbow for a jump shot or to draw the defenders in and dish. But no, we have our AA candidate dribble in to its' teeth. Yes Tom, you are smarter than everyone else!

Bryant is really skilled offensively. He seems to be a hard worker and needs to work on developing physically. He will have other people in his ear coaching him. Not saying he is going to be all NBA or anything but I think he has a future in the NBA.

How about when he is double teamed on the low block? He rarely turns to find the open man. Most of the time he ends up dribbling the ball out to the perimeter. Most of the blame is not on him IMHO, but on the coaching.

The amazing thing was watching Michigan handle the 'Cuse zone 2 weeks later by getting, imo, a much less talented and lesser shooter in Mitch McGary, to the elbow for a jump shot or to draw the defenders in and dish. But no, we have our AA candidate dribble in to its' teeth. Yes Tom, you are smarter than everyone else!

Actually, at the beginning of the 2nd half of that game, we were having some success with Sheehey driving or getting the ball in the middle of the zone and either hitting the 10 footer or finding the open man. And then we stopped doing it.

At least that's how I remember it...

Bryant is really skilled offensively. He seems to be a hard worker and needs to work on developing physically. He will have other people in his ear coaching him. Not saying he is going to be all NBA or anything but I think he has a future in the NBA.
I disagree that Bryant is skilled offensively. He can shoot, but his moves around the basket are lacking as the OP suggests. Davis has much better post moves.

Actually, at the beginning of the 2nd half of that game, we were having some success with Sheehey driving or getting the ball in the middle of the zone and either hitting the 10 footer or finding the open man. And then we stopped doing it.

Beginning of second half, Sheehey started and Yogi was benched. And, yes he was effective in the high post, it was almost if he understood how to play against a zone, Crean in his need to make strange substitutions subbed Will out for Yogi and the lead we cut into soon increased.

Reactions: UTFO

Will hit a couple mid range shots and got yanked. Watching Cody get blocked was infuriating considering he could have shot wide jumpers from 15 ft all night. It's too bad Hulls hurt his shoulder the game before because his ability to shoot from distance was their only shot with Creans game plan. Listening to Kenny Smith say "Jordan Hulls didn't belong in that game" pissed me off. He was hurt.

I disagree that Bryant is skilled offensively. He can shoot, but his moves around the basket are lacking as the OP suggests. Davis has much better post moves.

TB was better in the post last year than Davis is this year . . . and was better in the post this year than he was last year. Makes you wonder what the heck is going on with our bigs coaching.

It's almost as if TB's increased vertical jump has caused him not to be able to make moves around the bucket any more.

The infamous 13-inch improvement in TB's vertical leap. I don't know if I have seen him get 13 inches off the floor.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT