ADVERTISEMENT

I had a weird round of golf today.

McNutt76

Hall of Famer
Sep 1, 2001
Our group consisted of seven golfers when we teed off at 11:00 this morning, so we had a threesome and a foursome. I was in the foursome, by the way. Everybody at Otter Creek has to walk because of the coronavirus. Of course, I always walk anyway when I play golf.

The threesome quit after nine holes and the three other golfers in my foursome also quit after nine holes, so I played the last nine holes by myself.

I hit a really good drive on the 16th hole, but was unable to find my ball even though it should have been in the fairway. It became obvious to me what happened to my ball a couple of minutes later when I saw a guy walking around with a plastic bag. In other words, he was looking for golf balls and stole mine.

On the 17th hole, I hit another good drive, but it finished in extremely thick rough about 160 yards from the hole. I proceeded to hit a great second shot that wound up on the green approximately two feet short of the hole.

When I got within about 50 yards of the green, an employee of Otter Creek pulled up and said my ball had hit the cup. He said it counted as a holed out shot because Otter Creek was using protruded cups due to the coronavirus.

Just in case you don't know what that means, Otter Creek has cups that are about two or three inches above the surface of each green. If your putt, chip, approach shot or drive hits the cup, it counts as holed out because there is no way to get a ball into a cup.

Personally, I don't know whether to count it as an eagle. It's been almost 11 years since my last one.

Reactions: Brockway and cryano
Our group consisted of seven golfers when we teed off at 11:00 this morning, so we had a threesome and a foursome. I was in the foursome, by the way. Everybody at Otter Creek has to walk because of the coronavirus. Of course, I always walk anyway when I play golf.

The threesome quit after nine holes and the three other golfers in my foursome also quit after nine holes, so I played the last nine holes by myself.

I hit a really good drive on the 16th hole, but was unable to find my ball even though it should have been in the fairway. It became obvious to me what happened to my ball a couple of minutes later when I saw a guy walking around with a plastic bag. In other words, he was looking for golf balls and stole mine.

On the 17th hole, I hit another good drive, but it finished in extremely thick rough about 160 yards from the hole. I proceeded to hit a great second shot that wound up on the green approximately two feet short of the hole.

When I got within about 50 yards of the green, an employee of Otter Creek pulled up and said my ball had hit the cup. He said it counted as a holed out shot because Otter Creek was using protruded cups due to the coronavirus.

Just in case you don't know what that means, Otter Creek has cups that are about two or three inches above the surface of each green. If your putt, chip, approach shot or drive hits the cup, it counts as holed out because there is no way to get a ball into a cup.

Personally, I don't know whether to count it as an eagle. It's been almost 11 years since my last one.
Nice shot McNutt.
We are living in strange times... count it, nice eagle!

I have no idea when we'll begin using actual cups again.
It's possible that it will stay that way until everyone is vaccinated.
I'm just glad the courses are still open.
Enjoy every round, you never know when they'll shut all the courses down.

Reactions: cryano
giphy.gif

Call me ignorant, but why would they use this type of cup due to Coronavirus? I don't get it.

BTW, nice shot. Take that Eagle.

It's possible that it will stay that way until everyone is vaccinated.
I'm just glad the courses are still open.
Enjoy every round, you never know when they'll shut all the courses down.

I agree with you. Because you cannot enter our clubhouse, restrooms or locker room, I have to apply sun screen and stretch before I make the eight-minute drive to Otter Creek. I then have to tee off within a few minutes or I will injure my lower back. Despite the inconveniences due to the coronavirus issues, I still am glad to be able to get out and play golf. I would be miserable if the government closed our course.

Call me ignorant, but why would they use this type of cup due to Coronavirus? I don't get it.

BTW, nice shot. Take that Eagle.

They are doing it so people won't touch the inside of the cups and possible cause coronavirus issues as a result. Harrison Lake Country Club is using similar cups.

Reactions: Cream&Crimson
They are doing it so people won't touch the inside of the cups and possible cause coronavirus issues as a result. Harrison Lake Country Club is using similar cups.
and touch the flagpole repeatedly taking it in/out

A few thoughts....

• you were so lame to play with that six other guys chose to quit rather than playing with you?
  • If your drive was so great, why was it in the thick rough?
  • Playing a sevensome is against the USGA rules

Reactions: birdforbogey
I have to apply sun screen and stretch before I make the eight-minute drive to Otter Creek. I then have to tee off within a few minutes or I will injure my lower back.
I'm sure that's just really messing with your game, as you're so beholden to your routine.

Reactions: largemouth
I agree with you. Because you cannot enter our clubhouse, restrooms or locker room, I have to apply sun screen and stretch before I make the eight-minute drive to Otter Creek. I then have to tee off within a few minutes or I will injure my lower back. Despite the inconveniences due to the coronavirus issues, I still am glad to be able to get out and play golf. I would be miserable if the government closed our course.
I believe the state of New York has shut down all their courses by the Governor's executive order. Do you guys have to pee in the woods if you get the urge? I guess that makes no sense because you can probably go somewhere else before you play and you play well enough that it doesn't take you all day to go through 18 holes. I'd be in big trouble on the other hand.

and touch the flagpole repeatedly taking it in/out

Otter Creek isn't using flag sticks for that reason. It makes it difficult to know how far your approach shot is when you are using a rangefinder, but it's worth it not to get the corona virus.

A few thoughts....

• you were so lame to play with that six other guys chose to quit rather than playing with you?
  • If your drive was so great, why was it in the thick rough?
  • Playing a sevensome is against the USGA rules
  1. The other six guys quit after nine holes because they had afternoon obligations such as mowing their lawns. Also, it was tough for three of them to walk because they were between 70 and 80 years of age.
  2. My drive usually would have been a really good one, but the extremely long and thick rough prevented it from utilizing its overspin to roll into the fairway like normal.
  3. We had seven guys, but we were divided into a threesome and a foursome. I played in the foursome that teed off after the threesome.

I believe the state of New York has shut down all their courses by the Governor's executive order. Do you guys have to pee in the woods if you get the urge? I guess that makes no sense because you can probably go somewhere else before you play and you play well enough that it doesn't take you all day to go through 18 holes. I'd be in big trouble on the other hand.

We currently urinate behind trees because restrooms aren't available. If I had to take a dump, however, I probably would have to hurry to my minivan and drive like a maniac to get home.

I'm sure that's just really messing with your game, as you're so beholden to your routine.

Normally, I apply my sunscreen at home before making the eight-minute drive to the course. Once I arrive at the course, I load my golf bag onto my push cart, roll it down to the front of the pro shop and go upstairs to the locker room to stretch for about 10 minutes.

Once I finish stretching, I get range balls, hustle out to the driving range and hit balls until it is time for my group to take the tee. The reason I do that is it prevents me from injuring my lower back. If I have to wait too long after stretching, it usually will result in back problems.

Apparently, the courses in Minnesota are closed as they are making their way down to the Iowa golf courses. SO much for SIP. They won't be down this weekend because of rain and snow.

Hope you took the penalty on the lost ball.

Reactions: birdforbogey
Then how do you measure yourself against other golfers?

We mostly were just having fun and working on our games. Once the coronavirus pandemic is over, I'm sure we'll resume our money game. We have anywhere from 12 to 16 players on Saturday mornings and begin teeing off around 7:00 a.m. The age of our participants ranges from 30 to 80. Several of our golfers are single-digit handicappers. In fact, one of them won the club championship in 2018.

We mostly were just having fun and working on our games. Once the coronavirus pandemic is over, I'm sure we'll resume our money game. We have anywhere from 12 to 16 players on Saturday mornings and begin teeing off around 7:00 a.m. The age of our participants ranges from 30 to 80. Several of our golfers are single-digit handicappers. In fact, one of them won the club championship in 2018.
Thought you just changed clubs this year?

Thought you just changed clubs this year?

Actually, I joined Otter Creek in late October and it takes me through the end of this year. My membership at Harrison Lake Country Club just expired at the end of March, 2020.

However, I have been a member of Otter Creek several other years in the past and have a lot of good friends at that course. Our group consists of two individuals I went to church with since 1969, a guy who graduated from high school with me and several other guys I played on a softball team years ago. The father and a grandfather of Tyler Duncan also are in our group. It's a great bunch of guys!

So in other words...you dont count penalty shots and gamble on the course. You and Tiger have more in common than you think.

It was a joke from Caddyshack. The courses are all closed here, although the governor just clarified his order that courses can be open so we are hoping the county will allow us to open it back up.

So in other words...you dont count penalty shots and gamble on the course. You and Tiger have more in common than you think.

We used to have a guy in our group, who was a cheater. However, he no longer plays in it. The format we play is nobody knows who are teammates until after we finish our rounds every Saturday (weather permitting).

1. The other six guys quit after nine holes because they had afternoon obligations such as mowing their lawns. Also, it was tough for three of them to walk because they were between 70 and 80 years of age.
  2. My drive usually would have been a really good one, but the extremely long and thick rough prevented it from utilizing its overspin to roll into the fairway like normal.
  3. We had seven guys, but we were divided into a threesome and a foursome. I played in the foursome that teed off after the threesome.

So you were aiming to land your drive in the rough? Or they grew rough in the fairway? It was the 17th hole.....if you didn't know at that point that the rough was thicker than usual, then I don't know what to tell you. But hitting the ball in thick rough is never a good shot....but congrats on getting a par (I assume you missed the 2 foot birdie putt).

So you were aiming to land your drive in the rough? Or they grew rough in the fairway? It was the 17th hole.....if you didn't know at that point that the rough was thicker than usual, then I don't know what to tell you. But hitting the ball in thick rough is never a good shot....but congrats on getting a par (I assume you missed the 2 foot birdie putt).

It was an eagle according to Otter Creek's current rules. If the ball hits the temporary cups that are two or three inches above the surface of the green, it counts as holed out.

We used to have a guy in our group, who was a cheater. However, he no longer plays in it. The format we play is nobody knows who are teammates until after we finish our rounds every Saturday (weather permitting).
If you arent taking a lost ball penalty, that you would be cheating.

Reactions: kkott
If he is going to count the ‘eagle’ based someone else supposedly seeing it and not count the lost ball on pure conjecture with no witnesses, that is very sketchy. And yet he says someone that “used to play with them cheated. Well, ok I guess.

Reactions: kkott

I was playing that nine by myself and I wasn't even keeping score. My ball wasn't missing on the hole I eagled on that nine. It was the previous hole. I will guarantee you that idiot hustled into the fairway and stole my ball. Had it been a tournament, somebody probably would have witnessed it.

I was playing that nine by myself and I wasn't even keeping score. My ball wasn't missing on the hole I eagled on that nine. It was the previous hole. I will guarantee you that idiot hustled into the fairway and stole my ball. Had it been a tournament, somebody probably would have witnessed it.
Had it been a tournament you would have been disqualified for not taking a penalty on a lost ball.

If he is going to count the ‘eagle’ based someone else supposedly seeing it and not count the lost ball on pure conjecture with no witnesses, that is very sketchy. And yet he says someone that “used to play with them cheated. Well, ok I guess.

Yeah, it's so funny to read all the drama surrounding McNutt's golfing escapades. And I used to think golf was a nice relaxing game. For some reason it makes me think of Don Quixote. McNutt Quixote of the fairways!

Reactions: hookyIU1990

But you always play so fast. So, a guy who plays fast, tees off without noticing someone on the hole ahead of him, hits a drive in the fairway, has a guy spring out and sprint out and grab the ball and get back out of sight before Sir Speedy gets in view of his ball and never notices? Yeah, that sounds way more plausible than that it wasn't as good a drive as you thought and ran out in to the rough. For you I mean. For everyone else, we'd have to accept that we lost the ball.

Otter Creek isn't using flag sticks for that reason. It makes it difficult to know how far your approach shot is when you are using a rangefinder, but it's worth it not to get the corona virus.
My course Country Oaks is still using flag sticks, you just can’t remove them. They also turned the cups upside down so you can still actually hit it in the hole, but you don’t have to touch anything but your ball to get it out.

Olivia?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT