ADVERTISEMENT

I had a weird round of golf this morning.

McNutt76

Hall of Famer
Sep 1, 2001
When I arrived at our course around 7:10 this morning, I discovered there was an outing with 88 golfers. I thought I would get to use the driving range, but the range only was open to the participants in the outing.

Because we have 27 holes, the director of golf was kind enough to allow me to play the nine that wasn't being used for the event. It normally doesn't open until 8:00 a.m., but he let me tee off at about 7:20.

I was +2 when I reached the fifth hole. When I got ready to tee off, I noticed the staff was watering the green and probably 50 or 60 feet around it. Rather than hit my fourth shot onto the green and get soaked, I decided to just take a bogey and head for the sixth hole.

After getting a birdie on the sixth hole and a bogey on the seventh hole, I teed off on the eighth hole. Once again, the staff was watering the green. I hit two good shots and had a 158-yard approach shot on the par 5 hole, so I picked up my ball and gave myself a par because I didn't want to get soaked by the irrigation system around the green.

I finished with a tap-in par on the ninth hole and gave myself a 39 for the round. Thinking I might be able to play that nine again, I headed to the No. 1 tee. A foursome had just teed off and another foursome was on the tee waiting to tee off, so I headed to the parking lot.

Once I got home, I went for an hour walk, so at least I got my exercise. I guess I will need to start contacting the pro shop the day I play during the week. My philosophy has been that at least I will be able to use the driving range and then go for a long walk after going home, but that isn't the case this year.

nothing good ever happens at 7:10 in the morning. (which i've found a great workaround for).

that said, sprinklers shouldn't affect going ahead and hitting your approach shot. (i've done it literally a thousand times).

you can always give yourself a 2 putt, and avoiding the sprinklers to get to your ball isn't difficult. (balls in my case, if playing alone).

if you have the course to yourself, playing one ball just never made sense to me, especially if walking.

had you played 3 balls, you would have gotten in 27 holes instead of 9, and not used up that much more time. (or a one man 3 ball scramble always works great when not being pushed).

with the other 18 closed for the outing, you knew going in you weren't going to get off on 1 again without a wait, so plan accordingly.

nothing good ever happens at 7:10 in the morning. (which i've found a great workaround for).

that said, sprinklers shouldn't affect going ahead and hitting your approach shot. (i've done it literally a thousand times).

you can always give yourself a 2 putt, and avoiding the sprinklers to get to your ball isn't difficult. (balls in my case, if playing alone).

if you have the course to yourself, playing one ball just never made sense to me, especially if walking.

had you played 3 balls, you would have gotten in 27 holes instead of 9, and not used up that much more time. (or a one man 3 ball scramble always works great when not being pushed).

with the other 18 closed for the outing, you knew going in you weren't going to get off on 1 again without a wait, so plan accordingly.
There is no way I could have gotten my golf balls off those two greens without getting soaked. They probably have eight or 10 sprinklers emitting gallons of water around the greens.

There is no way I could have gotten my golf balls off those two greens without getting soaked. They probably have eight or 10 sprinklers emitting gallons of water around the greens.

i must be slumming it.

i never see 8 or 10 sprinklers per green all going at once.

Reactions: Brockway
We have huge greens at our course. We also have many more bunkers than most courses.

being that sprinkler heads aren't located on the green itself, but rather at the edges, green size shouldn't matter that much since the range of the sprinkler needs to be such that the long throw side can hit at least to the middle of the green or more.

that said, i've played large green courses many times, and don't recal ever dealing with 8 or 10 sprinklers per green going at once. (but perhaps the mad cow is kicking in)

perhaps OC has some funky sprinkler system i'm not familiar with.

that said, you still knew you probably weren't getting off 1 again without a wait, and that that 9 would probably be slow even when you got off again being it was only 9 open, so being that you had the course to yourself for your original 9, and that you play fast, you should have just played multiple balls being you had the chance to without holding anyone up.

you could have gotten in 27 instead of 9, had you really wanted to.

Last edited:
being that sprinkler heads aren't located on the green itself, but rather at the edges, green size shouldn't matter that much since the range of the sprinkler needs to be such that the long throw side can hit at least to the middle of the green or more.

that said, i've played large green courses many times, and don't recal ever dealing with 8 or 10 sprinklers per green going at once. (but perhaps the mad cow is kicking in)

perhaps OC has some funky sprinkler system i'm not familiar with.

that said, you still knew you probably weren't getting off 1 again without a wait, and that that 9 would probably be slow even when you got off again being it was only 9 open, so being that you had the course to yourself for your original 9, and that you play fast, you should have just played multiple balls being you had the chance to without holding anyone up.

you could have gotten in 27 instead of 9, had you really wanted to.
McNutt said it was a weird round. McNutt is not into weird. Ask his dentist buddy.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
When I arrived at our course around 7:10 this morning, I discovered there was an outing with 88 golfers. I thought I would get to use the driving range, but the range only was open to the participants in the outing.

Because we have 27 holes, the director of golf was kind enough to allow me to play the nine that wasn't being used for the event. It normally doesn't open until 8:00 a.m., but he let me tee off at about 7:20.

I was +2 when I reached the fifth hole. When I got ready to tee off, I noticed the staff was watering the green and probably 50 or 60 feet around it. Rather than hit my fourth shot onto the green and get soaked, I decided to just take a bogey and head for the sixth hole.

After getting a birdie on the sixth hole and a bogey on the seventh hole, I teed off on the eighth hole. Once again, the staff was watering the green. I hit two good shots and had a 158-yard approach shot on the par 5 hole, so I picked up my ball and gave myself a par because I didn't want to get soaked by the irrigation system around the green.

I finished with a tap-in par on the ninth hole and gave myself a 39 for the round. Thinking I might be able to play that nine again, I headed to the No. 1 tee. A foursome had just teed off and another foursome was on the tee waiting to tee off, so I headed to the parking lot.

Once I got home, I went for an hour walk, so at least I got my exercise. I guess I will need to start contacting the pro shop the day I play during the week. My philosophy has been that at least I will be able to use the driving range and then go for a long walk after going home, but that isn't the case this year.
I woke up last Sunday and it was starting to rain. I gave myself a 72 and went back to bed.

Andy's Off Topic Forum, as in BoilerAndy?

Tell IUhaterade & the 'others' I said hi

:)

Andy's Off Topic Forum, as in BoilerAndy?

Tell IUhaterade & the 'others' I said hi

:)
Most of us on this site are IU lovers and Purdue haters. The forum is named after Andy, who died unexpectedly a few years ago. He lived in Columbus, IN and was a great guy.

Most of us on this site are IU lovers and Purdue haters. The forum is named after Andy, who died unexpectedly a few years ago. He lived in Columbus, IN and was a great guy.
Are you the poster who drives IUhaterade crazy, who he has nightmares about, & fears you like no other?

ADVERTISEMENT