ADVERTISEMENT

I guess I am an orphan now

iubud

Hall of Famer
Aug 7, 2003
My dad passed away early Friday morning with my sister and I each holding his hand. Dad was an active 80 year old when a nasty lung infection took his life slowly over the last few weeks. He directed us to sell his house 2 weeks ago. My sister and I finally signed the paperwork after arranging his funeral. I went from his POA to co-executor of his will. We received an offer yesterday (24 hours later) for more than we were asking to the first person to look at the house. I took his car to his friend where he bought it and he offered us what dad paid for the car 18 months ago. I started to call dad to tell him the good news. I've done that many times in the past few days.

Dad was loved by many and made a lot f people laugh. He was a pilot, sail boat racer. go cart racer, para sailer, world traveler, coach, youth mentor and many other things. He was most proud to be a husband of the prettiest girl in his class, father, grandfather and most recently a great grandfather.I have many aunts, uncles and cousins to help me through this.

My dad passed away early Friday morning with my sister and I each holding his hand. Dad was an active 80 year old when a nasty lung infection took his life slowly over the last few weeks. He directed us to sell his house 2 weeks ago. My sister and I finally signed the paperwork after arranging his funeral. I went from his POA to co-executor of his will. We received an offer yesterday (24 hours later) for more than we were asking to the first person to look at the house. I took his car to his friend where he bought it and he offered us what dad paid for the car 18 months ago. I started to call dad to tell him the good news. I've done that many times in the past few days.

Dad was loved by many and made a lot f people laugh. He was a pilot, sail boat racer. go cart racer, para sailer, world traveler, coach, youth mentor and many other things. He was most proud to be a husband of the prettiest girl in his class, father, grandfather and most recently a great grandfather.I have many aunts, uncles and cousins to help me through this.

So sorry about your loss. But your dad sounded like he lived a rich, fulfilling life. That's all anyone can hope for!

I’m so sorry for your loss. Keep celebrating his life.

Reactions: RBB89
I'm sorry for your loss, Bud. It sounds like your dad was a helluva guy and you have many fond memories of him that will be shared among family and friends. A sign of a life well lived.

Reactions: RBB89

Celebrate that life! Sounds like he was a very interesting man.

“Blessed are those that mourn, for they will be comforted.”

Great eulogy and testament to your Dad. Glad you were there for him, and with him, til the end. Celebrate his life, as you have, and relish all that you experienced and learned from him. The end is part of every life, but not everyone lives as it sounds your Dad did. Well done.

Reactions: stollcpa
Condolences Bud. Hang tough. Have no regrets.

The "orphaned" feeling is real. It will pass, but it's sobering. My parents died a couple years apart after extended periods of failing health for both. I'm glad to hear your father's passing came before his mind expired.

Sorry for your loss, bud. It is a pain I well know. You comment about almost calling your dad kind of made me tear up. I still have my dad's number programmed into my phone. He died three phones ago.

Cheers, brother.

Visitation and funeral are over and we are back home. My aunts, uncles, cousins and friends came from all over. The cousins and my Funcle Donnie went out last night, I was tired and didn't want to go out, but glad I did. It was great catching up and swapping stories about my dad.

Now we have to work on selling and disposing of a household. Then I am going on vacation.

Visitation and funeral are over and we are back home. My aunts, uncles, cousins and friends came from all over. The cousins and my Funcle Donnie went out last night, I was tired and didn't want to go out, but glad I did. It was great catching up and swapping stories about my dad.

Now we have to work on selling and disposing of a household. Then I am going on vacation.
Condolences.

Be sure to do that vacation. Find a quiet sunset and have a conversation.

Reactions: iubud

May God be with you my friend. Talk about him often with your family and others. Thank you very much for sharing what he was like. I think I can speak for many here, it sounds like our lives would have been richer to have known him.

Sorry to hear about your dad, bud. Just remember, when his parents died he was an orphan too. From all indications here on Rivals, you're ready for this.

BTW, Gillian Welch is an orphan too . . . and David Rawlings is a helluva guitarist.

Last edited:
Reactions: stollcpa and iubud

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like a life well lived. You will always have the memories.

Really sorry to hear this. Lean on that network of family you mentioned - I'm sure they're there for you and will want to help in any way they can. It's good to have a lot of family like that.

Again, really sorry to hear about you dad. I'll be thinking and praying for you guys.

Really sorry to hear this. Lean on that network of family you mentioned - I'm sure they're there for you and will want to help in any way they can. It's good to have a lot of family like that.

Again, really sorry to hear about you dad. I'll be thinking and praying for you guys.
Thanks! Next stage is the legal and financial work. It is almost a second full time job. It is probably a good thing we are so busy. Most of the hard work will be done next week. Then we wait.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT