ADVERTISEMENT

I feel sorry for the younger members of Andy's OTF

1993 was the last great team

Damon had a fun senior season (beat UK) but wasn't a great team. Seems like since then nothing recruiting wise panned out for Coach Knight and we know the post Knight era looked like.

Obviously the two Cody years and 2002 were fun. But a few fun years do not a dynasty make.

So he should take into account what more fans say?

So provided they make some minimal contributions to Varsity Club, alumni association, etc., he should lend his with sincerity to individuals who post insanely stupid shit on peegs.com or call into Dakich's show?

Are we now just looking at the only ways worst to run the athletic department?

Came across this thread and thought it was bump-worthy*, even if parts of it don't make sense converted from thread view to crap view.

*acknowledging the bar for that has not been set very high.

Came across this thread and thought it was bump-worthy*, even if parts of it don't make sense converted from thread view to crap view.

*acknowledging the bar for that has not been set very high.
Jesus how bored were you that you dug up a thread 5 months old

Reactions: C-$
I feel sorry for anyone who has read the board since April 21.

And maybe since March 20 .... and further since March 28, 2013.

Discussing IU since then is like Oppenheimer and Kaczynski discussing the explosiveness of materials. One is only smart enough to be dangerous. The other is just beating his head against a wall.

Reactions: HA2740
Mein Kampf:

My dad started taking grad courses at IU when we lived in Greensburg, around 62-63. He fell in love with IU. We moved from Greensburg to Rockport before he got his final Ph.D. Back then, you had to do a year in residence to get one, so his last year, he lived in Bloomington and we visited. Went to football games. Rolled down the hill. Watched the hippies acid-dance with trees in Dunn Meadow. When he finished up, we moved to Owensboro, Kentucky and he started teaching at Kentucky Wesleyan - a GREAT Division II basketball team and my first basketball love. I grew to HATE Kentucky because the fans at Wesleyan games listened to Cawood call the Cats and failed to pay proper respect to my childhood heros.

We moved back to Rockport in 1971. Bob Knight started coaching at IU in 1971. On December 11, 1971, Indiana beat No. 7 Kentucky 90-89 in double OT. Hell YEAH I was an IU fan. But there were few games on TV back then. On Saturday, we got either a Purdue home game or an IU home game. On Sunday, we got a Celtics game. But UCLA won the tournament every year, so I still went to Wesleyan games, but I followed IU.

The next year (72-73), we beat Kentucky twice - knocked 'em out of the tournament the second game
The next year (73-74), we beat 'em again.
1974-75 rolls around.
We beat 'em by 24 in December.
We run off 31 wins and those bastages beat us in Dayton after May broke his arm.
One of the 2 hardest basketball losses in my life.
1976. 32-0.

Had a down year.
But in 78-79 we win the NIT by beating Purdue and Ahia State in NYC.

And in comes Isiah.
Losing to Purdue in the tourney was AWFUL.
But we knew we had it.
And 1981 was awesome.
They went 14-4 in a TOUGH Big 10.
Best conference record since 75-76.
And when they got in the tourney they played SMASHMOUTH basketball/
Beat Maryland 99-64
Beat UAB 87-72
Beat St. Joseph’s 78-46
Beat LSU 67-49
And beat Nawth Kerlinuh 63-50.
BOOYAH!

My years in Bloomington were 84-87.
Alford v. Skiles.
Season on the Brink.
The LSU/Dale Brown game.
UNLV.
Syracuse.
The Shot.
Kirkwood.
Watching that team run motion with Alford coming off picks was better than sex.
(That's a lie, but I'm tryin to make a point here.)

Knight was my guy.
Nothing he ever did made me take sides against him.
I wanted him to be nicer, but I was willing to put up with it.

And then one day, I'm at a IU alumni lunch here.
I win a drawing for a Knight-signed basketball.
When he hands it to me, the Chapter Prez says "hold on to it - it may the last one he ever signs."
I was floored.
"No way! Over teaching a kid MANNERS??"
'Yep. That's what I'm hearing."
The next week, Knight was fired.

I tried to support Davis with every fiber of my being.
He and I had something in common - we grew up hating Kentucky.
But even that got him in trouble, and made him smack his head.
And I road that bitch to the bottom.
Run Orlando!

In came Sampson.
I was against that, until I met him.
He treated my kids nice at a football game.
A month later, he remembered my daughter's name at another game.
I fell for it.
But we lacked character.

Phone calls.
We're talking about PHONE CALLS.

Shoulda hired Stevie.
Nope.

And timing is everything.
And we have bad timing.

But from 71-2000, basketball was Jimmy-Chitwood-beautiful.

Those were they days...

you never got to experience the true dynasty that IU used to be in basketball. We truly were one of the top 5 programs in the nation -- we were Duke before they were Duke. Now -- we may be a top 5 program in tradition, but we haven't been a perennial power since the early-mid 90's. That's 20 years ago! Anyone born after '85 probably doesn't remember. Has IU EVER won the B1G tournament?

My earliest recollections of IU basketball were the '75 team and the heartbreaking loss to Kensucky in the tournament after May broke his arm.
We were a good to great team almost every year. Even down years had good memories -- like beating PUke in the NIT final when that tournament was still decent, or Jadlow throwing the inbounds off the Iowa kid's face. Reggie beating us in the NIT final sucked, but he was a special player.
Almost Every game was special, every game was big. There was no apathy.
Now? We've been a mediocre program for 20 years. What happened? Kansas and NC overcame coaching changes and are still perennially elite programs. We turned in to the UCLA of the east.

I don't want this to turn in to a coach-bashing thread because it's useless. But I do feel sad sometimes that more and more people don't realize how truly special IU basketball used to be. If things keep going this way, someday no one will remember. My kids are IU fans because I brought them up to be, but my son's best IU basketball memory is being in the Hall when we beat UK on Watford's shot. That was an awesome experience, but "back in the day", moments like that were the norm, not a once in 10 year event. Every Purdue game had that atmosphere. My kids look at me like I'm an idiot when I tell them that IU used to be like Duke and Kentucky. They see the banners, but don't know what happened in all of the years between the banners.

In the immortal words of T.I. -- I don't want no mediocre. Unfortunately IU basketball has been mediocre for most of 20 years. Sorry young OTF members.

Now back to beer and C-$ attention-whoring threads.

Plus infinity

Seriously.

I go nuts when I see the posts defending Crean and the direction of the program. He ain't the guy. He's had his chances. To get to where most of us except to be, something has to give. And it all starts and ends with him.

My son is 12, and wasn't even born when we made the final four run in 2002. Read that again. I can't imagine being as passionate as I have been with the largely BS product we've had as a program since '94 or so.

IU basketball is losing me. Apathy an lack of hope go hand in hand. Next year will be fun, but I doubt we go to a final four- again. And God help us the year after that. Crean ain't exactly the type of guy that can do more with less.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT