ADVERTISEMENT

I feel like there’s something stirring

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
Leal emerging as a 3 and D guy would be enormous.

Hunter providing another scoring threat would be huge.

We just very nearly took down one of the beat teams in the conference, without our best guard, and with our 2nd best player/big basically being a no show (Race).

We aren’t gonna be a contender, or a final four threat. We don’t have the closers to get to that level, unfortunately. But I think if Armaan can come back soon and resume his emergence. And if Leal and Hunter can continue solid minutes...? We’ll win more games than we lose from here on out. And since most of our games left are against ranked/NCAA teams...that’d put us in a good spot come March.

ive spent a half hour talking about how we don’t have closers and how that will kill us. But I think we’ll have more games than recent years like the Maryland game, where we don’t need closers.

I can roll with Archie for another year if this is the effort we will get every game. Because with better perimeter play, we will be pretty good next season.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
I can roll with Archie for another year if this is the effort we will get every game. Because with better perimeter play, we will be pretty good next season.

TJDs NBA decision will play a major role in that. I know he’s not high on the draft boards, but if he keeps throwing out 20 and 10s...there will be enough interested teams to draw him out, in my opinion.

And if he leaves, we’ll take a step backwards.

TJDs NBA decision will play a major role in that. I know he’s not high on the draft boards, but if he keeps throwing out 20 and 10s...there will be enough interested teams to draw him out, in my opinion.

We will have to hit the Grad Transfer market in they case.

Reactions: Hatchets7times
Back at Clemson, Dale Davis had Elden Campbell on the other block. TJD is following in the basketball footsteps of his biological, but he is only over 20ppg because IU lacks other scorers.

Trance is having a really good sophomore year. It is a shame to have to break him down like that. If he were to come back I think IU could be a solid team next year finally. Without him it will depend entirely on how many good grad bigs Miller can land.

Reactions: Sope Creek
Also - if TJD is a year away from getting his degree, hopefully that would play into his decision to stay - especially at this point where he’s projected end of r2 to undrafted.

Garza had a phenomenal year last year and was projected end of r2. This year he’s late r1 - early r2. I realize the NBA drafts off potential, etc and TJD May very well be the better long-term prospect, but hopefully the feedback is one more year can only help TJD. Fingers crossed!

this team seems on the verge of breaking through.

Leal emerging as a 3 and D guy would be enormous.

Hunter providing another scoring threat would be huge.

We just very nearly took down one of the beat teams in the conference, without our best guard, and with our 2nd best player/big basically being a no show (Race).

We aren’t gonna be a contender, or a final four threat. We don’t have the closers to get to that level, unfortunately. But I think if Armaan can come back soon and resume his emergence. And if Leal and Hunter can continue solid minutes...? We’ll win more games than we lose from here on out. And since most of our games left are against ranked/NCAA teams...that’d put us in a good spot come March.

ive spent a half hour talking about how we don’t have closers and how that will kill us. But I think we’ll have more games than recent years like the Maryland game, where we don’t need closers.

No doubt Leal and Hunter's play was a good sign; however I remain pessimistic both short and long-term.

First, why was Leal in? Because Galloway was ineffective. Why was Hunter in? Because Race was ineffective. How did Rob do? Good & bad, but out-played by Trice.

Has Race leveled off? Kinda looks like it. He's settled into a supportive role when this team needs him to break out. TJD is the only stud we have, and his play has been markedly up & down. Leal, Galloway & Hunter are all role players, at their best.

Do not forget that we had 13 points last night with 8 minutes left in the first half. Almost every game we play, we've had long stretches of bad play.

Then, consider our schedule:
--At Neb.....very probable win
--Purdue.....50-50, at best
--At MSU.....probable loss
--At Iowa.....very probable loss
--Rutgers.....Tough to say, as they have injuries, but probable loss.
--At Michigan.....very probable loss
--Illinois......probable loss
--Iowa.......probable loss
--At NW........60-40
--At OSU.......40-60
--Minn......60-40
--MSU.......hard to say, 50-50 at best
--At Rutgers.....probable loss
--Michigan......very probable loss
--At Purdue....probable loss

To me, it doesn't add up to winning more than we lose. It's very unfortunate that we don't have 2 games with PSU, MD, or Nebraska. Archie has had a lot of bad luck (as well as bad coaching) since he landed here. That's just more bad luck.

Next year? Depends on TJD staying. If he leaves, not only do we need to get a stud transfer, something Archie's never done, but the stud transfer has to be 6'9" or above and not disrupt team chemistry. Without that you have LD, a nice recruit but not someone who realistically will be able to play more than 10-15 minutes his first year, and possibly Joey B. And a group of nice little guys, without no above average pg, unless Rob ever kicks it into gear, which seems unlikely at this point.

So will TFD leave? Of course he will. Have you not been watching since 2003?

• Love
Reactions: Cavanagh
Next year? Depends on TJD staying. If he leaves, not only do we need to get a stud transfer, something Archie's never done, but the stud transfer has to be 6'9" or above and not disrupt team chemistry. Without that you have LD, a nice recruit but not someone who realistically will be able to play more than 10-15 minutes his first year, and possibly Joey B. And a group of nice little guys, without no above average pg, unless Rob ever kicks it into gear, which seems unlikely at this point.

Oscar Tshiebwe from West Virginia is in the front court. I know IU pursued him some in high school and while he'd be a pipe dream, he'd ne an immediate help.

Javonte Brown-Ferguson who reclassified early at UConn just entered the portal. 7 footer who Archie recruited while in high school. Would have to think there's a connection to Kenya Hunter with him being on staff at UConn. There's going to be plenty of available, proven transfers out on the market this offseason.

Reactions: TommyCracker
Oscar Tshiebwe from West Virginia is in the front court. I know IU pursued him some in high school and while he'd be a pipe dream, he'd ne an immediate help.

Javonte Brown-Ferguson who reclassified early at UConn just entered the portal. 7 footer who Archie recruited while in high school. Would have to think there's a connection to Kenya Hunter with him being on staff at UConn. There's going to be plenty of available, proven transfers out on the market this offseason.

Looks like JBF is going by Javonte Brown now.

7-0 250 lbs guy who reclassed from '22 to '21. Had a strong list of offers including Kansas and A&M. He's only played 4 minutes this year.

He was late arriving, from Canada, due to COVID restrictions. When he got there in August the coach said a lot of good things about his potential.

So I wonder........are we in a holding spot here waiting to know if TJD and/or Brunk will be gone....or will be proactive and try to recruit a transfer big as they become available?

Looks like JBF is going by Javonte Brown now.

7-0 250 lbs guy who reclassed from '22 to '21. Had a strong list of offers including Kansas and A&M. He's only played 4 minutes this year.

He was late arriving, from Canada, due to COVID restrictions. When he got there in August the coach said a lot of good things about his potential.

So I wonder........are we in a holding spot here waiting to know if TJD and/or Brunk will be gone....or will be proactive and try to recruit a transfer big as they become available?

Probably a mix. The caliber of player willing to commit is likely dependent on what TJD does. Don't think you see a Tshiebwe type player commit if TJD is coming back, but a guy like JB with multiple years might consider taking a 15-20 mpg role while he develops. Those are two extreme examples as the level of talented big men between the two will only increase as the season winds down, but those are just two examples that Archie and staff have prior connections with.

Reactions: mushroomgod_1
Back at Clemson, Dale Davis had Elden Campbell on the other block. TJD is following in the basketball footsteps of his biological, but he is only over 20ppg because IU lacks other scorers.

Trance is having a really good sophomore year. It is a shame to have to break him down like that. If he were to come back I think IU could be a solid team next year finally. Without him it will depend entirely on how many good grad bigs Miller can land.
An Eldon Campbell reference . . . solid bball man there. 🖖

Probably a mix. The caliber of player willing to commit is likely dependent on what TJD does. Don't think you see a Tshiebwe type player commit if TJD is coming back, but a guy like JB with multiple years might consider taking a 15-20 mpg role while he develops. Those are two extreme examples as the level of talented big men between the two will only increase as the season winds down, but those are just two examples that Archie and staff have prior connections with.

There was a article on the Daily Hoosier that mentioned Tshiebwe, JB, and a 6'4" player with IU recruiting connections which listed 4 schools, including UK and Illinois, that are 'leading' for Tshiebwe.

Reading up on this, looks like we were in the mix with this kid until he decided to reclassify; however, we were behind Kansas & A&M (and U CONN)......but, Hunter was his primary recruiter, and he got him to U CONN........so, one would think we have a strong shot if we're interested.

One other thing I noticed about him is that he's a smart kid.

If we don't make the tournament he should be fired. Next year is not looking promising either time to start over.

I am not a coach so I have only my opinion. But to me, TJD does not have a long nor mid range shot. I don’t see him getting drafted.
His offense close in is great at the college level, but when the opponents are NBA size and skill level, that will be minimized.

ADVERTISEMENT