ADVERTISEMENT

I feel like Anthony Fauci was already on thin ice...this may make it even thinner...

He appears to be talented and knowledgeable, but if his boss doesn't listen to him, why is he wasting his time, talent, and knowledge there?

you are a devoted CNN fan.

I may watch 45 minutes of CNN a day. That is up in working from home. Basically I might pop in at the beginning of an hour on occasion to see the big news. If Gupta comes up I do stay through his segment. I find most CNN anchors annoying, especially Blitzer.

I am a big believer in tv being entertainment. I listen to Morning Edition and All Things considered, I read tons of websites. But on tv I much prefer entertainment or documentaries over news. For example, I will watch 5 minutes of CNN at noon before flipping to House as I eat.

The only set time we watch CNN is from 9 to about 9:20. My wife likes Cuomo but only if Cuomo is talking Corona which means Gupta or William Shatner (The guy from Vanderbilt whose name is way too close to.Kirk's actor). That tends to be when I see Gupta. But if Cuomo starts off with riots or something else, I get to watch a Big Bang.

To get a quick tv news update the choices seem to be Fox, CNN, MSNBC. Please make your case for Fox or MSNBC.

Reactions: outside shooter
They are doing an oppo dump on the director of the federal agency leading the US response to a global pandemic while is the middle of a huge surge. Aside from how morally bankrupt this administration is, this is beyond stupid. They cant even do evil politics right.

They are doing an oppo dump on the director of the federal agency leading the US response to a global pandemic while is the middle of a huge surge. Aside from how morally bankrupt this administration is, this is beyond stupid. They cant even do evil politics right.

I understand the political expediency of doing this. But what happens now going forward? If you destroy the credibility of the head of your infectious disease -- the scientific expert then who are people suppose to be listening to now? Trump?

You need a single unified voice of authority to drive the direction. There will just be multiple cul-de-sacs of voices and opinions going forward.

All these political manoeuvres will just land up killing more people. They really don't give a feck.

I may watch 45 minutes of CNN a day. That is up in working from home. Basically I might pop in at the beginning of an hour on occasion to see the big news. If Gupta comes up I do stay through his segment. I find most CNN anchors annoying, especially Blitzer.

I am a big believer in tv being entertainment. I listen to Morning Edition and All Things considered, I read tons of websites. But on tv I much prefer entertainment or documentaries over news. For example, I will watch 5 minutes of CNN at noon before flipping to House as I eat.

The only set time we watch CNN is from 9 to about 9:20. My wife likes Cuomo but only if Cuomo is talking Corona which means Gupta or William Shatner (The guy from Vanderbilt whose name is way too close to.Kirk's actor). That tends to be when I see Gupta. But if Cuomo starts off with riots or something else, I get to watch a Big Bang.

To get a quick tv news update the choices seem to be Fox, CNN, MSNBC. Please make your case for Fox or MSNBC.

FOX and MSNBC are worse than CNN. The ONLY redeeming factor for FOX is that they have news gathering capabilities and has some news although I rarely watch much FOX. But otherwise both are political entertainment programming catering to a specific hyper-partisan fanbase. It has little appeal to me.

I will give an example regarding my earlier comments about Dr. Gupta that you objected to. Just this morning as I was getting ready, Dr Gupta was on during a segment about the WH discrediting Dr. Fauci. I would want Dr. Gupta to play a scientific SME role here.

What transpired though was Gupta using various video clips to show where Trump was cherry picking comments to use against Fauci and essentially calling Trump out as a liar.

OK...that was reasonable commentary, but from the program host or other political "experts: they trot out but not the role of the scientific SME. Gupta is now just an employee on the news show participating in the political narrative. I liked him when he was just a Dr that I looked to for information and advice.

If Fauci quits the WH and signs a contract with CBS or the BBC (which I would love to see) I would hope he sticks to science-based education and advice and not devolve into political mud wrestling.

I understand the political expediency of doing this. But what happens now going forward? If you destroy the credibility of the head of your infectious disease -- the scientific expert then who are people suppose to be listening to now? Trump?

You need a single unified voice of authority to drive the direction. There will just be multiple cul-de-sacs of voices and opinions going forward.

All these political manoeuvres will just land up killing more people. They really don't give a feck.

Trump is incapable of destroying Dr Fauci's credibility. That is is a stretch for even his ever-dwindling hard core base.

FOX and MSNBC are worse than CNN. The ONLY redeeming factor for FOX is that they have news gathering capabilities and has some news although I rarely watch much FOX. But otherwise both are political entertainment programming catering to a specific hyper-partisan fanbase. It has little appeal to me.

I will give an example regarding my earlier comments about Dr. Gupta that you objected to. Just this morning as I was getting ready, Dr Gupta was on during a segment about the WH discrediting Dr. Fauci. I would want Dr. Gupta to play a scientific SME role here.

What transpired though was Gupta using various video clips to show where Trump was cherry picking comments to use against Fauci and essentially calling Trump out as a liar.

OK...that was reasonable commentary, but from the program host or other political "experts: they trot out but not the role of the scientific SME. Gupta is now just an employee on the news show participating in the political narrative. I liked him when he was just a Dr that I looked to for information and advice.

If Fauci quits the WH and signs a contract with CBS or the BBC (which I would love to see) I would hope he sticks to science-based education and advice and not devolve into political mud wrestling.
Gupta is cornered. Trump is not doing his job.

Trump is incapable of destroying Dr Fauci's credibility. That is is a stretch for even his ever-dwindling hard core base.
Depends. To Trump's base, he says it, 40% of Republicans believe it without a second thought. Fox News gets in line and starts pushing the narrative, another 30% sign on. So there alone you have ~35% of the country that suddenly doesn't "trust" the expert anymore.
Did you see the results from yesterday's Alabama primary? That state just got rid of a long-standing, experienced senator who actually did his job correctly, and put up a football coach without an ounce of experience on the November ballot.

I think you are underestimating how many ill informed people there are in this country.

Did you see the results from yesterday's Alabama primary? That state just got rid of a long-standing, experienced senator who actually did his job correctly, and put up a football coach without an ounce of experience on the November ballot.
As much as I loathe Jeff Sessions, it's not hard to view him as a tragic figure, yet another who has been sullied forever by his association with Trump.

Jeff Sessions’ Political Career Is Over

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...loses-alabama-senate-runoff.html?via=taps_top

In Trump, Sessions saw a vessel for the right-wing populist views that had made him a fringe actor within the Senate Republican conference, namely opposition to immigration of all varieties. Sessions thought Trump cared—like, really cared—about these things. Instead, he used them to acquire power and put Sessions in charge of the Justice Department primarily to shield him from threats to that power. If Sessions wanted to eliminate DACA while he was at Justice? Well yes, sure. But not after voluntarily ceding his power to protect Trump from an FBI investigation. Sessions got his dream job because he was loyal to Trump and then lost job, career, and dignity because, for a moment, he acted according to federal ethics.​

I am posting Fauci's interviews now since its clear that the Trump White House wants to sideline him -- and the poor guy has to make his own public interview arrangements to get his public health messages across and defend his reputation on his own.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT