ADVERTISEMENT

I ended up with 16 wins out of Creighton

IUTerry

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2001
Durham, NC
Not a bad first round pick. Right now, they have more wins than anyone else's first rounder (Memphis also has 16), but of course some other teams still have games left. Still, in spite of some initial worries about them going 6-4 heading into the MVC, they turned out to be a good pick.

I'd have taken Creighton if you hadn't

But I also would have taken Wichita if JM hadn't. Yikes!

JM's slate is amazing. They were like some cheap suits. Looks great when you first put them on, but tatters fairly quickly.

Wichita, Oregon, Ok St, Samford amd LSU all looked like they'd be great picks but they all bombed. Even BC, who was decent, lost momentum in the 2nd half.
This post was edited on 3/5 10:13 AM by Satchmoreif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

The thing is...

...I can't say I would have done much differently. I was a bit torn between Creighton and Wichita, but who would have figured Wichita would be that bad. And LSU returned most of its best players from a Final Four team. Again, I could understand a slide to 9-7, but who would have thought it? Even Samford and Son fell off in the second half.

You jumped on a bunch of grenades

If you hadn't taken all those teams, someone else would have shortly thereafter.

You saved a lot of people's slates. I've done that several times before but no one has ever bothered to thank me.

I want to thank you

for taking Dayton, I thought they might make a good mid-rounder

actually now that I think about it I had Xavier in the first round so scratch that.....

I guess I can thank you for taking Missouri State instead of Wisconsin.

If I hadn't taken Dayton, I would have taken Cal.

And they're even doing worse than Dayton. The PAC 10 was frickin' weird. A lot of people lucked out in that league at your expense. I ought to thank you for taking Washington, but they would have been taken by someone else long before my pick at the 3-4 turn.

But I got a new rule. NO PICKING TEAMS THAT HAD LOSING RECORDS THE PREVIOUS YEAR UNTIL ROUND 7 OR 8.

If I had done that, I would have avoided Dayton and SMU. I just saw some great early results and thought I could hit a homer.

The smart move for me in round 4 would have been BC. I had them as the 4th best team in the ACC, and would have been a safe pick.

The situation in round 6 wasn't nearly as obvious, but I would have been better served with a more traditional type power.

Mo St and Wisc could end up tied at 13 if...

Mich St beats Wisc in the BTT. That seems fairly likely to me.

But you tried saving me from SMU. I just wouldn't listen.

almost tried to save you from Wisc-Milwaukee

but that is where I got selfish because I was looking at picking a Horizon team then myself and was thinking Wisconsin-Green Bay and Wright State. So I lacked the motivation to tell you that you might want to reconsider. Of course you probably wouldn't have listened....

this Horizon reminds me of all my either or decisions I had -- got about half of them wrong

1st - Memphis or Xavier -- chose Xavier because I did not want to root for Memphis. Dumb, cost me

2nd - Wisconsin over So Illinois.---worked out since SIU was still there for round 3

4th and 5th were not either ors

6th - chose Western Michigan over USC and Stanford because I gambled that one of USC and Stanford would still be there in round 7. Either or mistake #2.

7th - UAB over Texas Tech. Based entirely on the belief that the CUSA had too many poor teams for MD to screw things up. Mistake #3. UAB lost at home to the likes of SMU, Tulane and Southern Miss.

8th - UWGB over Wright State. A mistake but UWGB did get nine wins which is good for that late.

9th - Belmont over Delaware State and robert Morris. Good decision.

10th - Seton Hall over St. John's. Did not want to get burned two years in a row by St. John's. Obviously wish I would have given Vandy more consideration as I had the SEC open but honestly did not think much about the Commodores.

You did say something about the Big East still possibly...

...being a better place to go than the Horizon at the 7-8 turn. As it turned out both W.Va and DePaul were good late round picks. But I didn't have faith in those teams and couldn't resist selecting from the barely picked Horizon.

I was just hoping Wi-Mil would somehow re-load. I had Wright as my choice before changing my mind at the last moment. But for awhile there I thought Wi-Mil would end up being a decent team. After a bad start, they rebounded to go 4-4 in the league, only to fall apart again in the stretch.

Wi-Mil, Boise, SMU and S.Car all were bad in the stretch. Dayton wasn't much better.

I hope I didn't put Seton Hall in your mind. I know I talked about considering them as decent 10th round pick.

I really thought W.Mich would pan out a little better than they did, considering they played in the weaker half of the MAC. Still, they didn't do that badly.

I hear what you're saying about CUSA. I got frustrated that SMU couldn't find teams to beat in a league that weak.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT