I don't like this at all, but...

SixthFlagComing

Freshman
Dec 15, 2012
...the teams we've beaten this year, combined:

- are 3-13 on the year
- have scored a total of 374 points, while giving up 548
- and, generally, look like terrible football teams

I want to think that some of those teams were playing a little better/harder earlier in the season when we had to deal with them, but, boy I really, really hope we can put it to the Suckeyes this week to legitimize the gains we've made as a program.

PSU played better their first two games than their last two. Once they lost the first two all of their season goals were gone and with everything else going on I think they checked out. When we played them both teams were were not sharp but nobody has been the first game. RU, UM, and MSU are not good but we had those games firmly in hand early and were never really threatened. This coaching staff is not one to run up the score and when comfortably ahead will look to run clock if not threatened. We have some challenging games ahead so we shall see how it shakes out.

- are 3-13 on the year

I want to think that some of those teams were playing a little better/harder earlier in the season when we had to deal with them, but, boy I really, really hope we can put it to the Suckeyes this week to legitimize the gains we've made as a program.

Indiana does not need to beat Ahia to "legitimize" the gains that have been made. In years past, the teams we have beaten so far would have one more W in their record.

Indiana has improved substantially in every aspect of the game. Indiana was within one poor coaching decision of beating Tenn in Jan in front of 20,000 IU fans. The facilities are good, the stadium is way more than good and the Coaching staff are the kind of people you want representing your school.

Indiana likely does not beat Ahia next week. It's OK...they are one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the country from a Football Factory. Losing by 17 doesn't diminish what has happened in Btown one little bit.

It is just a shame we can't be there to enjoy it with them.

Now...go put it all on the field for Ahia then beat a very good Wisky team and beat the piss out of MD and Pur.

- are 3-13 on the year

You can only play the teams on your Schedule in the order they are Scheduled and take them in the condition they are in at the time you play them. I am much happier with 4 Wins over Big Ten Teams than I would be with a normal Year's Schedule, with consecutive wins over Directional Louisiana, The Rice Krispies, Whsatsamatta U, and one big ten win over MSU.

With respect to Michigan and Penn State, I agree that they have checked out and are going through the motions. I believe their Coaches have gone beyond their Expiration Effective Dates. Nothing they are designing for their Teams is working, and Players have no confidence in the Coaching Staff and have quit listening to an old stale message.

- are 3-13 on the year

Just for comparison, compare this to the teams Ohio State has beaten this year:

- are 2-9
- have scored a total of 268 points, while giving up 371

Do you have similar feelings about Ohio State not being as good as their unbeaten record? In my opinion, you really can't read too much into opponent records at this point. You can only play the next team on the schedule and 50% of the season is plenty of sample size. As an IU fan, enjoy every bit of this season!

Just for comparison, compare this to the teams Ohio State has beaten this year:

- are 2-9
- have scored a total of 268 points, while giving up 371

Do you have similar feelings about Ohio State not being as good as their unbeaten record? In my opinion, you really can't read too much into opponent records at this point. You can only play the next team on the schedule and 50% of the season is plenty of sample size. As an IU fan, enjoy every bit of this season!
Great post.

I'd add that past Indiana teams found a way to lose to bad RichRod and Brady Hoke coached Michigan teams and to bad Penn State teams (e.g. Penn State's 2003 team that went 3-9 destroyed us 52-7).

We're in a Power 5 conference. Every team we play this has quality recruits and serious talent. As Crossblock said above, you take the teams as they come and you try to beat them. Right now our record is as good as it gets. We're 4-0 in conference play for the first time since 1987. If there's anything at all about this that people don't like, all I can say is they sure must be fun at parties.

I have a completely different take I’d like to share.
  • Leadership in this program is growing before our eyes
  • We just might have out managed people during COVID
  • New strength coach with remote NFL caliber training
  • New D-line coach who is the s—-
  • QB is 9-1 as a starter
  • I think I saw we are 9-2 in last 11 B1G games
  • D-fense coordinator is money- kids love him. They are playing loose and free
  • Offense is complimenting D not other way around
  • Leadership is a very powerful weapon
  • Go Hoosiers!

Last edited:
I have a completely different take I’d like to share.
  • Leadership in this program is growing before our eyes
  • We just might have out managed people during COVID
  • New strength coach with remote NFL caliber training
  • New D-line coach who is the s—-
  • QB is 9-1 as a starter
  • I think I saw we are 9-2 in last 11 B1G games
  • D-dense coordinator is money- kids love him. They are playing loose and free
  • Offense is complimenting D not other way around
  • Leadership is a very powerful weapon
  • Go Hoosiers!
Wish I could like this twice.

- are 3-13 on the year

I think what you are missing are the covid schedules. Plus it is still early in the year. We are only playing within the conference. Normally most of our good competition (including IU would have a 2-1, or 3-0 record playing teams outside of the conference. So Penn State would be 3-0 (beating Kent, VTech, San Jose). Michigan 2-1 (wins Ball St, Ark St, loss Washington). Of course these are assumptions since the games weren't played, just saying playing within the conference only makes your record against opponents a lot different. Ohio State has beat teams with a 2-9 record so far.

Indiana does not need to beat Ahia to "legitimize" the gains that have been made. In years past, the teams we have beaten so far would have one more W in their record.

Indiana has improved substantially in every aspect of the game. Indiana was within one poor coaching decision of beating Tenn in Jan in front of 20,000 IU fans. The facilities are good, the stadium is way more than good and the Coaching staff are the kind of people you want representing your school.

Indiana likely does not beat Ahia next week. It's OK...they are one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the country from a Football Factory. Losing by 17 doesn't diminish what has happened in Btown one little bit.

It is just a shame we can't be there to enjoy it with them.

Now...go put it all on the field for Ahia then beat a very good Wisky team and beat the piss out of MD and Pur.
Have you already surrendered??

- are 3-13 on the year

Are you concerned about Ohio State’s opponents being 2-9?

I, for one, am enjoying the season. I don’t care about whether other teams may be off from their normal. We beat teams, 3 of them, that we beat once in a blue moon.

Let’s face it: we used to have season after season after season like some of these teams are having. Giving up a gazillion yards and points.

A defense was non-existent in Bloomington for the better part of 30 years. Nice change of pace for once.

1. 'Indiana does not need to beat Ahia....'
2. 'Losing by 17 doesn't diminish...'
3. 'put it all on the field...'

Be interesting to hear CTA comment on your post.

1. It doesn't
2. It wouldn't
3 They need to.

CTA would likely agree with me that this season to date and last year are not flukes regardless of what happens next week. Remember...the root cause of this discussion was someone minimizing IU's accomplishments. You know...like PU fans do all day.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I think Penn State is still a decent team, but it's clear that MSU and Michigan are pretty terrible this year. I think our defense is the real deal, but when we play good teams it's likely that our offense is going to get handled. Our O-line is not well coached, and our running game runs almost nothing but straight ahead running plays. Our quarterback is a complete stud and is saving us, but this is not the well oiled machine Kalen Deboer was running. With Penix he'd be putting up 500 yards a game. The good news is we only have two strong defenses left on the schedule.

I think what you are missing are the covid schedules. Plus it is still early in the year. We are only playing within the conference. Normally most of our good competition (including IU would have a 2-1, or 3-0 record playing teams outside of the conference. So Penn State would be 3-0 (beating Kent, VTech, San Jose). Michigan 2-1 (wins Ball St, Ark St, loss Washington). Of course these are assumptions since the games weren't played, just saying playing within the conference only makes your record against opponents a lot different. Ohio State has beat teams with a 2-9 record so far.

Ball State might be better than Michigan.

I think Penn State is still a decent team, but it's clear that MSU and Michigan are pretty terrible this year. I think our defense is the real deal, but when we play good teams it's likely that our offense is going to get handled. Our O-line is not well coached, and our running game runs almost nothing but straight ahead running plays. Our quarterback is a complete stud and is saving us, but this is not the well oiled machine Kalen Deboer was running. With Penix he'd be putting up 500 yards a game. The good news is we only have two strong defenses left on the schedule.
MSU had both starting corners and starting safety held out.
Still shut out IU in second half

When you think about the athletes Mich has and how poorly they perform as a team. Amazing.

Urban Meyer would beg to differ about our O-line being poorly coached.

PSU played better their first two games than their last two. Once they lost the first two all of their season goals were gone and with everything else going on I think they checked out. When we played them both teams were were not sharp but nobody has been the first game. RU, UM, and MSU are not good but we had those games firmly in hand early and were never really threatened. This coaching staff is not one to run up the score and when comfortably ahead will look to run clock if not threatened. We have some challenging games ahead so we shall see how it shakes out.
MSU had both starting corners and starting safety held out.
Still shut out IU in second half
IU had 2 starting linemen out . You are always going to have people out and injured , and I think IU had more to do with shutting themselves out the 2nd half than MSU did . we had the ball inside the 10 and instead of taking the points went for 6 twice and took a knee twice at the end of the game . Plus IU is a defensive team , I thought everyone knew that .

Just wandering was our offensive line well coached under Kalen DeBoer?

Just wandering was our offensive line well coached under Kalen DeBoer?
I can't imagine the OC having a huge impact on OL technique unless that's their specific background/passion. I assume they leave it to the OL coach & gameplan around the strengths/weaknesses.

I'm not entirely sure we, as fans, appreciate the linemen we've had the last few years. Step was a mean son of a gun on the field (just ask Winovich after he got blocked into the ground). Knight was outstanding. Wes Martin was that special kind of raw boned/corn fed/country strong kid. That's 3 NFL OL in 2 years at IU. And if he hadn't have gotten hurt, I would imagine that Cronk would've gotten a late look at least as an UFA if not a late round pick.

Reactions: DANC and 76-1
I can't imagine the OC having a huge impact on OL technique unless that's their specific background/passion. I assume they leave it to the OL coach & gameplan around the strengths/weaknesses.

I'm not entirely sure we, as fans, appreciate the linemen we've had the last few years. Step was a mean son of a gun on the field (just ask Winovich after he got blocked into the ground). Knight was outstanding. Wes Martin was that special kind of raw boned/corn fed/country strong kid. That's 3 NFL OL in 2 years at IU. And if he hadn't have gotten hurt, I would imagine that Cronk would've gotten a late look at least as an UFA if not a late round pick.
I would beg to differ the offensive coordinator does not leave it up to the offensive line coach to determine how to block things.

I would beg to differ the offensive coordinator does not leave it up to the offensive line coach to determine how to block things.
Do you mean "how to block" to mean blocking concepts or the meat and potatoes of footwork & technique? I'm referencing the latter and I think that is where the OL is not up to par from prior seasons. I could be WAY off though.

It's a fact that the teams are not as good as they were ranked. I've said this as much as well. We have beaten the bottom dwellers of the Big Ten, even though they were ranked at the top at the beginning. But however you put it, THEY are at the bottom and WE are at the top. That's all I care about. I don't think we can beat OSU but being the 2nd-4th best team in the Big Ten is good enough for me, and I think next year we will be even better.

Reactions: TMFT
It's a fact that the teams are not as good as they were ranked. I've said this as much as well. We have beaten the bottom dwellers of the Big Ten, even though they were ranked at the top at the beginning. But however you put it, THEY are at the bottom and WE are at the top. That's all I care about. I don't think we can beat OSU but being the 2nd-4th best team in the Big Ten is good enough for me, and I think next year we will be even better.
After this weekend, I'm MORE bullish about beating Wisconsin than I was originally. Win or Lose against OSU, there's no reason to think IU can't win out. And I'd take 7-1 with an ass-whooping by the Buckeyes 6 days a week and twice on Sunday.

People have to understand that Stevie Scott and Sampson James are not Tevin Coleman and Jordan Howard that can turn a 5 yard run into 35 yards or even a touchdown. I am very much a Kalen DeBoer fan and love to see a guy from the NAIA succeed and become a head coach at the D1 level but sometimes I think he gets a little too much credit. We had an experienced offensive line and receivers and even quarterback. If you rewatch last years MSU game he had a few questionable calls on 3rd and and 4 th and short twice runnning Sampson James on jet sweeps to no avail. Also choosing bro go down the field late in the game when there was time to be a little more patient. Also at the end of the Tennessee game. Also last year in the OSU game he was reluctant to throw down the field early and resulted in our guys getting run down by their team speed. When he did finally go down the field we had some success. Plus there were other times when we were not able to properly execute the 4 minute offense which we have been able to do this year. We also were perfect in the Red Zone until this weekend which we were not last year.

Reactions: 76-1
Do you mean "how to block" to mean blocking concepts or the meat and potatoes of footwork & technique? I'm referencing the latter and I think that is where the OL is not up to par from prior seasons. I could be WAY off though.
I am talking scheme. Yes the o line is responsible for teaching footwork hand placement and etc. But the o coordinator will have a great deal of input as to whether to use pin and pull concepts, zone principles or just old fashioned drive block hat on hat concepts. I think our run game has been very vanilla so far this year with good reason. I fully expect some wrinkles maybe Penix pulling the ball or maybe even Ellis who I believe was a high school quarterback in a Wildcat.

Reactions: 76-1
After this weekend, I'm MORE bullish about beating Wisconsin than I was originally. Win or Lose against OSU, there's no reason to think IU can't win out. And I'd take 7-1 with an ass-whooping by the Buckeyes 6 days a week and twice on Sunday.
I am the opposite.....after this weekend, I don't think we can beat Wisconsin. They looked dominate against Michigan. And the way struggled against MSU in the 2nd half, not being able to score after getting the ball inside the 30 twice at the beginning of drives (one of which was inside the 10). So I think 6-2 is more realistic, which is certainly still fantastic in my eyes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT