ADVERTISEMENT

I did over three miles in about 26 minutes tonight. That's a little faster than

McNutt76

Hall of Famer
Sep 1, 2001
the 15 minutes it usually takes me per mile. Of course, I was using an elliptical at the gym because I was hesitant to take a 50-minute walk outdoors in the heat without any water. I don't like to take anything to drink with me on walks.

the 15 minutes it usually takes me per mile. Of course, I was using an elliptical at the gym because I was hesitant to take a 50-minute walk outdoors in the heat without any water. I don't like to take anything to drink with me on walks.

I drank water while watching TV for 26 minutes ... both your statement and mine are about as interesting as the other.

That's odd....why no fluids? In all honesty to keep up that pace (to do 3 miles in 26 minute you are going 7.1 mph) you'd better be drinking fluids because at your age, that's not wise!

As a long time lurker and quiet supporter of your posts...what rpm are you kicking? I do level 7 on standard cardio option, rpm in the 72-77 range and in 45 minutes I barely get to 4 miles. Unless my machine at the clubhouse is effed up (distinct possibility)....you have to be doing a 95+???

Reactions: crossfire74
As a long time lurker and quiet supporter of your posts...what rpm are you kicking? I do level 7 on standard cardio option, rpm in the 72-77 range and in 45 minutes I barely get to 4 miles. Unless my machine at the clubhouse is effed up (distinct possibility)....you have to be doing a 95+???

During much of the time I spent on the device last night, I was doing over nine miles per hour. I'm not sure about the RPM because I used the "quick start" on the device.

Yeah? My PR for 5K (3.1 mi) is 18:35. And I drank fluids.

I ran in one 5k event about five months before injuring my knee in the 1980 basketball game and my time was around 20 minutes. However, I had to stand there for what seemed like at least 30 seconds after the race began because I was in the back of the pack. My guess is I would have been around 19:30, which was about 30 seconds slower than your time.

9 mph on an elliptical? yikes!
Mistake #1: Speed and little to no resistance
So you’re working out in the gym one day and suddenly you are seemingly impressed by your gazelle-like neighbor going 90 mph on an elliptical trainer. While you may be impressed by their speed, they really aren’t getting a workout at all. And the opposite is actually true, putting them at risk for pulling a muscle. If you work out on an elliptical trainer using zero to little resistance, you aren’t getting the best workout in because you aren’t working any muscles, and rather just using the momentum of your lower body to move the pedals as fast as you can. Resistance is what makes your muscles work, and what raises your heart rate. If you want to raise heart rate by going fast, put the resistance on a lower setting but it should be something that is mildly difficult to maintain for an extended period of time.

Mistake #1: Speed and little to no resistance
So you’re working out in the gym one day and suddenly you are seemingly impressed by your gazelle-like neighbor going 90 mph on an elliptical trainer. While you may be impressed by their speed, they really aren’t getting a workout at all. And the opposite is actually true, putting them at risk for pulling a muscle. If you work out on an elliptical trainer using zero to little resistance, you aren’t getting the best workout in because you aren’t working any muscles, and rather just using the momentum of your lower body to move the pedals as fast as you can. Resistance is what makes your muscles work, and what raises your heart rate. If you want to raise heart rate by going fast, put the resistance on a lower setting but it should be something that is mildly difficult to maintain for an extended period of time.
I completely agree and for the record I don't believe the OP for one second that he's able to do that. Old knee injury and age.....makes for legendary message board material but not likely in real life.

Just under 9 minutes per mile is way faster than 15 minutes per mile. There is no way to walk that fast.

Reactions: crossfire74
Just under 9 minutes per mile is way faster than 15 minutes per mile. There is no way to walk that fast.

I was going at a pace of over nine miles per hour on the elliptical. There is no way I can walk a mile in nine minutes. I used to run the mile in about five minutes in high school and that was on a cinder track in March of my senior year.

It was my first and only year on the track team and I was our fastest on our team by far in the mile. Our first meet of the season was against two other high schools and the coach told me the day of the meet that I was going to run the 880 instead of the mile because our two best runners in that event were unable to participate in the meet. I had never run the 880 before and finished fourth in the event.

The next day at practice, it was snowing and the coach was getting on us for finishing second in the meet. We had lost by two points and the time that had won the mile was about a minute slower than my average time. In other words, we would have won if the coach had allowed me to run the mile.

He continued to rip us as we ran laps around the track and I eventually got tired of it. I finally walked off the track and he asked me what was wrong. My response was that I had decided to quit the team. I was mad that we had finished second in the meet because he had not let me run the mile. He tried to talk me out of quitting the team, but I headed to the locker room to change clothes and go home.

I have regrets about quitting the team. However, I couldn't stand the coach. He was a jerk.

Reactions: PatKline
I was going at a pace of over nine miles per hour on the elliptical. There is no way I can walk a mile in nine minutes. I used to run the mile in about five minutes in high school and that was on a cinder track in March of my senior year.

It was my first and only year on the track team and I was our fastest on our team by far in the mile. Our first meet of the season was against two other high schools and the coach told me the day of the meet that I was going to run the 880 instead of the mile because our two best runners in that event were unable to participate in the meet. I had never run the 880 before and finished fourth in the event.

The next day at practice, it was snowing and the coach was getting on us for finishing second in the meet. We had lost by two points and the time that had won the mile was about a minute slower than my average time. In other words, we would have won if the coach had allowed me to run the mile.

He continued to rip us as we ran laps around the track and I eventually got tired of it. I finally walked off the track and he asked me what was wrong. My response was that I had decided to quit the team. I was mad that we had finished second in the meet because he had not let me run the mile. He tried to talk me out of quitting the team, but I headed to the locker room to change clothes and go home.

I have regrets about quitting the team. However, I couldn't stand the coach. He was a jerk.

Why didn’t you run both?

I ran in one 5k event about five months before injuring my knee in the 1980 basketball game and my time was around 20 minutes. However, I had to stand there for what seemed like at least 30 seconds after the race began because I was in the back of the pack. My guess is I would have been around 19:30, which was about 30 seconds slower than your time.
5K runs were great for me as they gave me a reason to run. Without them I don't think I was pushing myself plus I got bored running. I sprinted in high school and always hated distance running. I switched to riding a bike to take the stress off my knees and ankles. I hate riding a stationary bike in a gym. It's boring even with a TV.

OtCd.gif

Ahh, yes, who knew this video existed? That's me back in 1990 when I routinely ran 15:00 5 Ks, after cutting the grass at my golf course with my pushmower and walking my dog to the Ohio River for a morning swim. I was running to my recreational league basketball game in which I scored 46 points in the first half before 2 clodhoppers from Griffith IN took out my knee. I challenged each of them to a pistol duel in the parking lot, but they cowered and declined sensing my immense masculinity.

-McNutter

Ahh, yes, who knew this video existed? That's me back in 1990 when I routinely ran 15:00 5 Ks, after cutting the grass at my golf course with my pushmower and walking my dog to the Ohio River for a morning swim. I was running to my recreational league basketball game in which I scored 46 points in the first half before 2 clodhoppers from Griffith IN took out my knee. I challenged each of them to a pistol duel in the parking lot, but they cowered and declined sensing my immense masculinity.

-McNutter
You forgot that he built his strong leg muscles by walking to school barefoot in 6 inches of snow, up hill, both ways. He also wooed his wife by killing a grizzly bear with his trapper keeper while walking to class at IU on a bum knee.

You forgot that he built his strong leg muscles by walking to school barefoot in 6 inches of snow, up hill, both ways. He also wooed his wife by killing a grizzly bear with his trapper keeper while walking to class at IU on a bum knee.

I forgot nothing... that was more interesting so I chose not to share! (Gives Crossfire a fierce McNutt stare!)

ADVERTISEMENT