ADVERTISEMENT

I can admit when I’m wrong

I was a big Archie fan but he isn’t flipping this program around very quickly. Also next years recruiting class won’t move the needle either.
When your third year team is worst than your first year team something is not right. Archie is simply over his head at this level. He can probably have a nice career at a mid major imo.

Reactions: iulb
Isn't he one of the highest paid coaches now? I'm not sure even that much money can replace his family time. Now let me be honest. I'd love to have Beard at IU.
If IU can’t hire a coach away from Texas Tech we have major issues

What we need to do is provide jobs for his daughters and or their husbands. Lots of perks like free childcare for grandkids. Is that even legal?
I now realize that in some ways Crean was overall better for program than Archie. At least we had players who had some shooting skills and could finish at rim

I now realize that in some ways Crean was overall better for program than Archie. At least we had players who had some shooting skills and could finish at rim

There were some years where he had shooters and others where he did not. Also, he couldn’t coach defense to save his life.

Reactions: Vern Pain
I mean yeah, it's year three and our guards are still garbage, guys like Smith still fade when they shoot, we still can't hit free throws, our only offense that works is a basic pick and roll, we still are way over hedging to the point that our bigs are guarding our hoop than the opponents hoop, which causes our defense to constantly break down.

There is talent on this team...and experience.

No excuses. If he can't, at a minimum get to the tournament after three years with a roster of solid four star talent then what's the point.

Unfortunately the only solution I see for him is to go dark are start cheating. I having difficulty seeing what advantage he gives us on the bench. He's a great steward and has eliminated a lot of the drama but...if he can't win here than what's the point really?

I mean yeah, it's year three and our guards are still garbage, guys like Smith still fade when they shoot, we still can't hit free throws, our only offense that works is a basic pick and roll, we still are way over hedging to the point that our bigs are guarding our hoop than the opponents hoop, which causes our defense to constantly break down.

No excuses. If he can't, at a minimum get to the tournament after three years with a roster of solid four star talent then what's the point.

Unfortunately the only solution I see for him is to go dark are start cheating. I having difficulty seeing what advantage he gives us on the bench. He's a great steward and has eliminated a lot of the drama but...if he can't win here than what's the point really?

Greg Marshall’s drunk wife doesn’t seem so bad now. We gave the guy with the smoking hot wife a chance, now let’s get the guy with the drunk and belligerent wife.

I loved the Archie hire but with this teams performance and an average at best recruiting class coming in, I don’t think Archie is going to get it done anymore. I want the Texas Tech coach!
This is looking familiar to last year. It was hard to see what affect injuries played in our mid season meltdown. Injuries are not the problem now.

The play in the second half with ND, Arkansas. and most of the MD game is disturbing. None of our guards are playing well. Thompson, Hunter and DD are playing bad. Smith is okay, Damezi is about as expected. TJD and Brunk are our best players in the last 3 games. Turnovers and missed shots are answered by bad defense instead of an increased effort to get a stop.

With the timing of Glass retiring, Archie will be back next year. This should be an NCAA team this year. They aren't playing like it. Archie will need a great 4th year to get a fifth. A fifth year probability has slipped a great deal. At some point we will need to give him an extension or the hook.

Reactions: .Gerdis
Greg Marshall’s drunk wife doesn’t seem so bad now. We gave the guy with the smoking hot wife a chance, now let’s get the guy with the drunk and belligerent wife.
And Morgan doesn't even get any screen time!!! That's just not right.

Reactions: Radio Zero

The jaded side of me thinks this is the crux of what's going on. miller's shown us that he is at best an average recruiter and miles and miles away from recruiting with the big boys. again the jaded side of me suspects that he planned to go dark and then the fbi shone brightly on his brother and that avenue dried up. it's absurd to think he has a brother as dirty as sean and that none of that influenced him. i suspect the avenue to go dark dried up because it became too risky and now he has to recruit legitimately and he doesn't have the resume nor panache to compete with the big boys. he'll be gone at the end of this year or next and be set for life. hell of a gig.

This is looking familiar to last year. It was hard to see what affect injuries played in our mid season meltdown. Injuries are not the problem now.

The play in the second half with ND, Arkansas. and most of the MD game is disturbing. None of our guards are playing well. Thompson, Hunter and DD are playing bad. Smith is okay, Damezi is about as expected. TJD and Brunk are our best players in the last 3 games. Turnovers and missed shots are answered by bad defense instead of an increased effort to get a stop.

With the timing of Glass retiring, Archie will be back next year. This should be an NCAA team this year. They aren't playing like it. Archie will need a great 4th year to get a fifth. A fifth year probability has slipped a great deal. At some point we will need to give him an extension or the hook.

What should happen is that Archie would be fired if we miss the tournament again — which is looking increasingly likely. It shouldn’t even be controversial. That’s plenty of time to clear what really is a pretty low bar. We’re not talking a NC, or B10 championship, or even a Sweet Sixteen. We’re just talking making the field.

I agree that it probably won’t happen. But the fact that it won’t says a lot about why our program can’t seem to get any traction. We tolerate poor results for far too long — living in fear that making a change “too quickly” will only make matters worse.

It’s an irrational fear.

The jaded side of me thinks this is the crux of what's going on. miller's shown us that he is at best an average recruiter and miles and miles away from recruiting with the big boys. again the jaded side of me suspects that he planned to go dark and then the fbi shone brightly on his brother and that avenue dried up. it's absurd to think he has a brother as dirty as sean and that none of that influenced him. i suspect the avenue to go dark dried up because it became too risky and now he has to recruit legitimately and he doesn't have the resume nor panache to compete with the big boys. he'll be gone at the end of this year or next and be set for life. hell of a gig.
Did Chris Beard go dark or does he just know what he’s doing!

I loved the Archie hire but with this teams performance and an average at best recruiting class coming in, I don’t think Archie is going to get it done anymore. I want the Texas Tech coach!
You'll have to suck it up because Archie Miller will be the coach this year and next year. His buyout requires IU to pay 100 percent of the rest of his salary and other pay for the remainder of his contract. IU isn't going to do that. Frankly, probably no school will do that.

Personally, I haven't given up on him and if I'm right I will really, really enjoy seeing a lot of people eat crow. If the team totally sucks the rest of this season (not sucks in the way some of you hear define it, which is extremely loosely) and next year, then I will join the fire the coach club. I'm still betting on the NCAA tournament this year, but I'll admit that today's game doesn't give me the confidence that I've had to date. It's hard to win games without making outside shots since it allows the other team to play off the outside shots and defend our strength which is inside. If we don't have two or three players start hitting outside shots, we probably won't make the tournament and I'll be paying off a few bets.

Did Chris Beard go dark or does he just know what he’s doing!

If you're going after Beard then why not say you're going after Stevens or Donovan.

Beard is a beast, a monster, an incredible coach that I'd give a blank check for.

He's also a Texan, coaching in Texas in a high major conference making a shit load of money that has seen national success that he built.

What on earth can we offer him that he doesn't already have and desires? Another rebuild?

This isn't a Brad Stevens is in the horizon league deal. Beard has already made it.

Now Gregg Marshall....

Reactions: Ladoga
If you're going after Beard then why not say you're going after Stevens or Donovan.

Beard is a beast, a monster, an incredible coach that I'd give a blank check for.

He's also a Texan, coaching in Texas in a high major conference making a shit load of money that has seen national success that he built.

What on earth can we offer him that he doesn't already have and desires? Another rebuild?

This isn't a Brad Stevens is in the horizon league deal. Beard has already made it.

Now Gregg Marshall....
We need an AD that recognizes good coaching and doesn’t just do what the media tells him to do....

Now Gregg Marshall....
marshall was my 2nd choice, right behind wonder boy.

What should happen is that Archie would be fired if we miss the tournament again — which is looking increasingly likely. It shouldn’t even be controversial. That’s plenty of time to clear what really is a pretty low bar. We’re not talking a NC, or B10 championship, or even a Sweet Sixteen. We’re just talking making the field.
He is one of the top paid coaches in america. If you cannot make the tourney in three years you should be fired on the spot. But IU will drag it on another year because thats what they do.
I agree that it probably won’t happen. But the fact that it won’t says a lot about why our program can’t seem to get any traction. We tolerate poor results for far too long — living in fear that making a change “too quickly” will only make matters worse.

It’s an irrational fear.

You'll have to suck it up because Archie Miller will be the coach this year and next year. His buyout requires IU to pay 100 percent of the rest of his salary and other pay for the remainder of his contract. IU isn't going to do that. Frankly, probably no school will do that.

Personally, I haven't given up on him and if I'm right I will really, really enjoy seeing a lot of people eat crow. If the team totally sucks the rest of this season (not sucks in the way some of you hear define it, which is extremely loosely) and next year, then I will join the fire the coach club. I'm still betting on the NCAA tournament this year, but I'll admit that today's game doesn't give me the confidence that I've had to date. It's hard to win games without making outside shots since it allows the other team to play off the outside shots and defend our strength which is inside. If we don't have two or three players start hitting outside shots, we probably won't make the tournament and I'll be paying off a few bets.

Why in the world have you had confidence until now? I mean...where did it come from? And how did it last so long? Are you sure you’re not mistaking hope for confidence?

Also, it’s a shame that we may yet again find ourselves hanging onto a failed coach for “one more year” because of contractual costs.

The recruiting effects of a coaching staff that everybody knows is a lame duck are just fuel on the fire for a troubled program.

I’m less angry with Glass over this contract situation than Crean’s. I don’t think anybody expected Archie to flop as bad as he has right out of the gate. But it’s just a shame that we may find ourselves in that position yet again. Because it makes it that much harder on the next guy - as Archie discovered.

Also, it’s a shame that we may yet again find ourselves hanging onto a failed coach for “one more year” because of contractual costs.

The recruiting effects of a coaching staff that everybody knows is a lame duck are just fuel on the fire for a troubled program.

I’m less angry with Glass over this contract situation than Crean’s. I don’t think anybody expected Archie to flop as bad as he has right out of the gate. But it’s just a shame that we may find ourselves in that position yet again. Because it makes it that much harder on the next guy - as Archie discovered.
If a good AD knew what he was doing he would see that Archie didn’t know how to coach offense but Glass was an idiot.

If a good AD knew what he was doing he would see that Archie didn’t know how to coach offense but Glass was an idiot.

It was an almost universally praised hire. And with good reason. His Dayton teams, the times I watched them, looked very good. It’s hard to explain how the same guy who coached them has put the sloppy, ineffectual products we’ve seen for 2.5 years on the floor.

I won’t criticize Glass for the hire. But bait should be cut sooner rather than later once something clearly hasn’t worked out.

Why in the world have you had confidence until now? I mean...where did it come from? And how did it last so long? Are you sure you’re not mistaking hope for confidence?
I watched Miller's teams at UD. Although I'm not a big fan like I am with IU, I really enjoyed watching UD play, especially on defense because it was such a welcome change from Crean's teams at IU which played minimal defense and I hated how they played. I'm convinced Miller can coach. The primary problem with this team is they can't shoot from outside. They get plenty of open looks, but don't hit them. We have some guys that shot well in high school and even at IU (Greene and Durham) but even they stunk it up from outside today - except at the end when the pressure was off. At times this year IU has looked very good on defense (even most of the first half today) and pretty good on offense as well because they hit outside shots in those games. They start hitting those outside shots and this team will look good on offense and will win more than they lose.

You guys are welcome to have a different opinion, but it would be nice if some of the over the top negative posters weren't total shitheads about it. Not talking about you specifically, the shitheads know who they are. I'm really going to enjoy watching the shitheads eat crow if I'm right and they're wrong. Hey, if I'm wrong, I'll be in the fire the coach club. I was in that club for Crean long before a lot of others here joined. I really did not enjoy watching Crean's teams play. I hated the style which came with a lot of turnovers and horrible defense. I actually think Crean's teams underachieved nearly every year he coached at IU and I said it a few times here. However, I wasn't a insufferable shithead about like the insufferable shitheads we have here. It'll be clear who those guys are when they take offense to this post. ;)

Incidentally, I actually think Miller did a very good job his first year. He didn't have a lot of talent left over from Crean's woefully underperforming last team, but Miller made that team better as the year went along and it was obvious to anyone that cared to pay attention. Last year ultimately sucked because of the bad stretch, but early in the season and toward the end of the season they played well and looked a lot like Miller's UD teams in several games - tough and aggressive on defense and decent on offense. Obviously, the roster was flawed (as this one still is) as well without true post play and a lack of consistent outside shooters. And yes, injuries were a major issue last year too. So for me it's one acceptable season where the team showed clear progress and one ultimately failed season due to the 1-13 stretch which I give Miller a split grade of B+ early and late and a D- for the 1-13 stretch - not an F because of the MSU win.

The Texas Tech coach is not available.

I watched Miller's teams at UD. Although I'm not a big fan like I am with IU, I really enjoyed watching UD play, especially on defense because it was such a welcome change from Crean's teams at IU which played minimal defense and I hated how they played. I'm convinced Miller can coach. The primary problem with this team is they can't shoot from outside. They get plenty of open looks, but don't hit them. We have some guys that shot well in high school and even at IU (Greene and Durham) but even they stunk it up from outside today - except at the end when the pressure was off. At times this year IU has looked very good on defense (even most of the first half today) and pretty good on offense as well because they hit outside shots in those games. They start hitting those outside shots and this team will look good on offense and will win more than they lose.

You guys are welcome to have a different opinion, but it would be nice if some of the over the top negative posters weren't total shitheads about it. Not talking about you specifically, the shitheads know who they are. I'm really going to enjoy watching the shitheads eat crow if I'm right and they're wrong. Hey, if I'm wrong, I'll be in the fire the coach club. I was in that club for Crean long before a lot of others here joined. I really did not enjoy watching Crean's teams play. I hated the style which came with a lot of turnovers and horrible defense. I actually think Crean's teams underachieved nearly every year he coached at IU and I said it a few times here. However, I wasn't a insufferable shithead about like the insufferable shitheads we have here. It'll be clear who those guys are when they take offense to this post. ;)

Incidentally, I actually think Miller did a very good job his first year. He didn't have a lot of talent left over from Crean's woefully underperforming last team, but Miller made that team better as the year went along and it was obvious to anyone that cared to pay attention. Last year ultimately sucked because of the bad stretch, but early in the season and toward the end of the season they played well and looked a lot like Miller's UD teams in several games - tough and aggressive on defense and decent on offense. Obviously, the roster was flawed (as this one still is) as well without true post play and a lack of consistent outside shooters. And yes, injuries were a major issue last year too. So for me it's one acceptable season where the team showed clear progress and one ultimately failed season due to the 1-13 stretch which I give Miller a split grade of B+ early and late and a D- for the 1-13 stretch - not an F because of the MSU win.

If our season rides on the prospect of becoming a good — even an average — outside shooting team, then the season is lost. That isn’t going to happen.

Hopefully the coaches have another plan.

It was an almost universally praised hire. And with good reason. His Dayton teams, the times I watched them, looked very good. It’s hard to explain how the same guy who coached them has put the sloppy, ineffectual products we’ve seen for 2.5 years on the floor.

I won’t criticize Glass for the hire. But bait should be cut sooner rather than later once something clearly hasn’t worked out.
Praised by who? THE MEDIA

Atlantic 10 sucksssssssss. That’s like saying I liked so and so offense in Mountain West and then thinking it would work in Big ten.

I'd say that no matter how this season turns out Miller will be coach next year. They buyout is too steep and almost no program would pay it. It's why the crying about that is really a waste of time, though maybe it's emotionally satisfying for some to do it. Miller was the hottest coach available. Everyone was convinced he was a great hire. Sports Illustrated (or maybe it was ESPN) called it a "slam dunk." I don't think Miller forgot how to coach. If these players shot better from outside consistently, we'd probably not be having this conversation. Shooting is really the Achilles heel.

I'd say that no matter how this season turns out Miller will be coach next year. They buyout is too steep and almost no program would pay it. It's why the crying about that is really a waste of time, though maybe it's emotionally satisfying for some to do it. Miller was the hottest coach available. Everyone was convinced he was a great hire. Sports Illustrated (or maybe it was ESPN) called it a "slam dunk." I don't think Miller forgot how to coach. If these players shot better from outside consistently, we'd probably not be having this conversation. Shooting is really the Achilles heel.
ESPN lmao Jeez dude think for yourself u brainwashed fool

ADVERTISEMENT