ADVERTISEMENT

I am going to poll this every few weeks.

Do you think they will Big 10 football this fall?

• Business as usual

Votes: 23 27.4%
  • An abbreviated schedule

Votes: 25 29.8%
  • An abbreviated schedule in the spring

Votes: 14 16.7%
  • Better luck next year

Votes: 22 26.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can speak for my small town in Southern Indiana, life was back to normal as of yesterday, except for the fact we can’t go inside restaurants. Pizza shops were packed, drive thrus were long, take out lines out the door, Lowe’s and Rural King were jammed full. People are done with it, there will be a second wave, but I don’t think most care anymore.
Would you elaborate? What if anything changed?

I'd like to know the names of the media outlets (I'll be sure not to read them or watch them anymore) that are denying that studies and trials are underway to find an effective treatment.

The article you cite is very informative. It is also replete with phrases like "could be," "has the potential" and "anecdotal evidence." Doctors don't know for sure that a drug is effective and safe for a specific use until a clinical trial has been completed, and clinical trials take months (usually many months) to complete. The idea that life could be back to normal by September is pie in the sky. I would be thrilled to be wrong about this, so please bump this post up to the top on the eve of the Wisconsin game so I can happily admit I was way off the mark.
Many of the drugs are already being used for malaria and other respiratory illness and unless we are being ridiculous not to okay their use for this virus soon. If the medications are safe to use already then the safety issue isn't the problem and effectiveness shouldn't take too many trials to establish. If our gov't agencies hold up these medications for very long they need to be told it isn't acceptable under these conditions.

People can't have it both ways with this virus, it is so dangerous any medication already being used that shows some success should be available for people.

I’m not sure what you’re getting at. But I’ll just say a little south of Bloomington, in a county where every death but 2 so far have been attributed to a nursing home (and I’m guessing those 2 as well but they haven’t confirmed) people aren’t scared of the virus anymore. I personally know a couple of the confirmed cases and they say they’re fine. Had a cough and were health care workers so they got tested. It seems to me, living in a rural area, it’s a completely different ballgame compared to you guys in the cities. With restaurants closed and schools, and churches, us rural people don’t congregate much at all. And we’re not spreading it around either it seems.

****ing morons
Are you looking in the mirror, things in rural counties are far different than urban areas and don't have many cases IE my county with just three/two are in a prison and they are doing fine. The state gov'ts need to open up rural counties without or just a couple of cases.

You want to paint everyone with sense with your comments. I would agree people in urban counties with a major population to use mask and wash hands to keep the virus under control. There are drugs that counters this virus if doctors aren't afraid to go off script IE . Here some being tested right now trials on COV19 has been going good; many have already been tested for safety and used for other medical problems https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-covid-19-treatments.html.

Last edited:
Many of the drugs are already being used for malaria and other respiratory illness and unless we are being ridiculous not to okay their use for this virus soon. If the medications are safe to use already then the safety issue isn't the problem and effectiveness shouldn't take too many trials to establish. If our gov't agencies hold up these medications for very long they need to be told it isn't acceptable under these conditions.

People can't have it both ways with this virus, it is so dangerous any medication already being used that shows some success should be available for people.
This isn't as cut and dried as you suggest:
https://www.latimes.com/science/sto...lp-coronavirus-patients-in-controlled-studies
And, in the meantime, people with lupus who can't live without hydroxychloroquine now can't get it because it's being hoarded.

https://www.latimes.com/science/sto...lp-coronavirus-patients-in-controlled-studies
And, in the meantime, people with lupus who can't live without hydroxychloroquine now can't get it because it's being hoarded.

I'd add that we have to be careful with anecdote when it comes to treatment. The government has opened up tons of possible treatments to trials. But we have to be careful to say what will/won't work until they've gone through trials. Like, if doctors just started prescribing Hydroxychloroquine/z-pack/zinc for everyone hospitalized with COVID, we wouldn't know if it was more effective than placebo. It could turn out that it worked, or doesn't, or works but less effective than something else.

The President so consistently advocating for the malaria treatment makes me nervous (not just for the shortages caused that Bowlmania pointed out) because it may cause fewer volunteers for other drug trials. So if, for example, drug X is the real game changing drug, but takes forever to move through the trials phase because people want to take chloroquine because it's a familiar name they've heard talked about.

I understand the problems for lupus people but the medication can be produce even more and companies need to do that with the demand increase. It isn't a case of taking medicine away from others but to make enough for the demand. It takes a short time of shortage to signal the companies make more if we haven't shut down those companies for this virus.

I'd add that we have to be careful with anecdote when it comes to treatment. The government has opened up tons of possible treatments to trials. But we have to be careful to say what will/won't work until they've gone through trials. Like, if doctors just started prescribing Hydroxychloroquine/z-pack/zinc for everyone hospitalized with COVID, we wouldn't know if it was more effective than placebo. It could turn out that it worked, or doesn't, or works but less effective than something else.

The President so consistently advocating for the malaria treatment makes me nervous (not just for the shortages caused that Bowlmania pointed out) because it may cause fewer volunteers for other drug trials. So if, for example, drug X is the real game changing drug, but takes forever to move through the trials phase because people want to take chloroquine because it's a familiar name they've heard talked about.
I agree with you under normal conditions but if this is a real emergency then the rules need to be different to save people's lives. There has been enough use of Hydroxychloroquine around the world and in this country to show it does work we just aren't sure how how well. If my wife were in the hospital sick and near death with this virus I wouldn't have any fears about a doctor giving her this medication to save her.

My point is that if medications have been used safely for other conditions and shows promise to cure people with the virus then we don't need all the testing during this "crisis". We can't have it both ways, either it is a crisis and we need to save people or it isn't a crisis and we need to quit acting like it is. When you are in a crisis you have to change things to save people.

Reactions: 76-1
I understand the problems for lupus people but the medication can be produce even more and companies need to do that with the demand increase. It isn't a case of taking medicine away from others but to make enough for the demand. It takes a short time of shortage to signal the companies make more if we haven't shut down those companies for this virus.
Back to the original point of the thread. Do you think hydroxychloroquine, Remdesivir, masks, gloves, hazmat suits, weed (today's 4/20 so I had to throw that in) or anything else will get us to 80,000 people in Camp Randall Stadium on Sep 4? My question to anyone who says yes - - what are you smoking?

Reactions: 82hoosier and 76-1
Back to the original point of the thread. Do you think hydroxychloroquine, Remdesivir, masks, gloves, hazmat suits, weed (today's 4/20 so I had to throw that in) or anything else will get us to 80,000 people in Camp Randall Stadium on Sep 4? My question to anyone who says yes - - what are you smoking?

no reasonable person thinks the season has fans. I don’t think there will be any fans until a vaccine or herd immunity. But I think there will be sports. Too much money is involved.

Reactions: TMFT and mcmurtry66

There were a reported 29 million doses available at the time the President started suggesting it be tried if a doctor felt it could be helpful and would write a prescription.

Short of a great change in people's attitudes about surviving infection, I don't think they will take my approach, there won't be large numbers at games but we could have students in universities. I don't think students will be back due to the attitude about risk and the virus.

There were a reported 29 million doses available at the time the President started suggesting it be tried if a doctor felt it could be helpful and would write a prescription.
I have to question the comment about Lupus people being denied their medication then. It isn't surprising with the way "news" reports things today people would get the impression the medication is in short supply.

I have to question the comment about Lupus people being denied their medication then. It isn't surprising with the way "news" reports things today people would get the impression the medication is in short supply.

As a former journalist I shudder at what I see on a daily basis. Objective reporting is about as absent from our world as buggy whips.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...virus-creates-shortage-lupus-drug/5129896002/
Believe what you want.

On a different note, the conference has formally announced the creation of a task force on emerging infectious diseases. The good news is that 13 of the 14 members have "Dr" in front of their names. These folks, leveraging relevant data and information from state and local authorities, will be making decisions about the resumption of athletics. Here's hoping we see some action in 2020.
https://bigten.org/news/2020/4/20/g...k-force-for-emerging-infectious-diseases.aspx

As a former journalist I shudder at what I see on a daily basis. Objective reporting is about as absent from our world as buggy whips.

As you say, the industry has transformed from objective journalism complimented by opinion pieces and news magazines into a series of specifically designed entertainment companies designed to attract and retain a specific segment of the population. MSNBC and FOX are at opposite ends of the "taste" spectrum but are very similar in design and mission: feeding red meat to their followers 24/7.

Reactions: vesuvius13
As you say, the industry has transformed from objective journalism complimented by opinion pieces and news magazines into a series of specifically designed entertainment companies designed to attract and retain a specific segment of the population. MSNBC and FOX are at opposite ends of the "taste" spectrum but are very similar in design and mission: feeding red meat to their followers 24/7.
Most people are simply looking for affirmation of their beliefs, ideology, etc., rather than real information. They get their "news" primarily from one or two sources with the same ideological bent, and allow themselves to be spoon fed. It takes some initiative, and maybe even some balls, to keep an open mind, check out a variety of sources, consider a different perspective, and at least occasionally admit that maybe you were wrong.

Most people are simply looking for affirmation of their beliefs, ideology, etc., rather than real information. They get their "news" primarily from one or two sources with the same ideological bent, and allow themselves to be spoon fed. It takes some initiative, and maybe even some balls, to keep an open mind, check out a variety of sources, consider a different perspective, and at least occasionally admit that maybe you were wrong.

And it only serves to deepen the gulf between groups in this country. You see the result of these media company "reality shows" with some on this site as well as on conservative sites.

I can speak for my small town in Southern Indiana, life was back to normal as of yesterday, except for the fact we can’t go inside restaurants. Pizza shops were packed, drive thrus were long, take out lines out the door, Lowe’s and Rural King were jammed full. People are done with it, there will be a second wave, but I don’t think most care anymore.
I agree people are tired of the lockdown.
I also think many of us, to a degree selfish as we want out of the lockdown, want to spend money and get hourly workers back to employment.

That’s lousy to hear as some of us are sitting home for another six weeks. I really think this patchwork approach has been asinine. There should have been a complete and total lockdown across the board a month ago for everywhere. The people in your town are back to normal and 50 miles away people are on lockdown. Dumb.
I do not think the virus can float 50 miles, but anyone from the open town could drive to a closed town. Yard worker, plumber, relative, etc.

My final thoughts, for right now:
1. I think that as testing becomes more accurate and available we will see that many people test positive and did not know they were infected.
2. This will plummet the hospitalization and death rates.
3. There will be a recurrence this fall, but due to what we have learned this spring, people will quickly avoid movies, wear masks, switch to take out, etc. But it will not be the lockdown we see now.
4. Speaking only for myself, we are on day 26 of shelter in place, and are discussing having people over, going out, etc. likely later this week.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...virus-creates-shortage-lupus-drug/5129896002/
Believe what you want.

On a different note, the conference has formally announced the creation of a task force on emerging infectious diseases. The good news is that 13 of the 14 members have "Dr" in front of their names. These folks, leveraging relevant data and information from state and local authorities, will be making decisions about the resumption of athletics. Here's hoping we see some action in 2020.
https://bigten.org/news/2020/4/20/g...k-force-for-emerging-infectious-diseases.aspx

https://www.sciencealert.com/clinic...oroquine-stopped-early-due-to-safety-concerns

I've seen multiple reports across all kinds of media platforms on the shortages of this drug for patients needing if for autoimmune disorders. Also read of a "doctor" selling corona packs of this online, guaranteeing safety from the disease. He's been arrested (which I guess proves the conspiracy theories correct ;))

https://www.sciencealert.com/clinic...oroquine-stopped-early-due-to-safety-concerns

I've seen multiple reports across all kinds of media platforms on the shortages of this drug for patients needing if for autoimmune disorders. Also read of a "doctor" selling corona packs of this online, guaranteeing safety from the disease. He's been arrested (which I guess proves the conspiracy theories correct ;))
I read about that guy as well - - a California MD if I'm remembering correctly. In a recorded phone call with an undercover federal agent, he claimed the drug was a guaranteed cure for the novel coronavirus, and he was selling his "cure" for something like $4k! He also, on his website, cited the president's promotion of the drug. I hope the guy gets some serious jail time.

Covid-19 is currently the leading cause of death in the U.S. Hopefully science finds an effective treatment soon, and before any second wave materializes.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/29/gilead-coronavirus-remdesivir-220484

I'm reviving this thread just to pass along this article in Politico from yesterday.

This is why I was saying that it was dangerous to rely on anecdote about hydroxychloroquine because it could dissuade people from participating in other trials. Because, as it turned out, studies started suggesting that hydroxychloroquine wasn't effective and this remdesivir is on to something.

It ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT mean that remdesivir is some kind of magic bullet or panacea, but as Dr. Fauci said, the results are clear that a drug can be an effective treatment, they just have to keep working and fine tuning to hammer out the details to make it as effective as possible.

The results of these trials makes me even more bullish that we'll see a season and get back to some semblance of normalcy sooner than later (if not in the same ballpark, at least in the same sport, as the metaphor goes). I still don't think that normalcy will include games in front of 100k fans, or even 30k, and I still don't think that it will include teams mingling among the general student population, but I think we're trending more towards a season vs not.

Last edited:
With respect to playing the season, please refer to the thread I posted earlier this morning on this forum with the University of Wisconsin beat reporter for the Milwaukee Journal that Big Ten Presidents and ADs held a Teleconference yesterday and have decided to cancel the 2020 Season. Formal announcement pending.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT