ADVERTISEMENT

I am going to poll this every few weeks.

Do you think they will Big 10 football this fall?

• Business as usual

Votes: 23 27.4%
  • An abbreviated schedule

Votes: 25 29.8%
  • An abbreviated schedule in the spring

Votes: 14 16.7%
  • Better luck next year

Votes: 22 26.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think there will be some kind of football season this fall; it may or not include fans. However the word from ADs today make me wonder if they will have the will to find a solution for this fall.

Reactions: red hornet
I hope I'm wrong, but chose the Spring option. I just don't see enough people getting on the same page on a solution by Fall. Again, hope I'm wrong.

I know this wasn't a poll choice, but the idea of playing with no fans come Fall, I just don't see happening. Schools may still be online, no students on campus, but the idea of "let's get the football team on campus and have games to entertain us" rings rather hollow. How motivated will the kids even be? I just don't see this as feasible.

Reactions: 76-1
I hope I'm wrong, but chose the Spring option. I just don't see enough people getting on the same page on a solution by Fall. Again, hope I'm wrong.

I know this wasn't a poll choice, but the idea of playing with no fans come Fall, I just don't see happening. Schools may still be online, no students on campus, but the idea of "let's get the football team on campus and have games to entertain us" rings rather hollow. How motivated will the kids even be? I just don't see this as feasible.

Also..., it clearly sends the message that the players safety is secondary to the money to be had... That's a public relations black eye that the NCAA doesn't want to have to deal with in any fashion... (in my opinion)...

Absolutely. Suggesting that football players be allowed to be at risk when 30-45k students are not allowed on campus is pure lunacy!
I don't disagree with the premise, but I disagree with the conclusion. First, because if the teams are back on campus alone and kept isolated they'll be at less risk than if they're at home. They'd be tested on the way in, they wouldn't have to go anywhere for groceries. They'd be doing the same e-learning that the rest of the student body would be doing.

And let's take it a step further, regardless of when the students come back to campus and the conferences decide to resume sports, the teams are going to be isolated and taking e-learning even if the rest of the students are in class live. Short of a vaccine, there is a 0% chance they can put athletes among the general student body and prevent an outbreak. Someone would get infected, be asymptomatic, spread among the team, spread to an opponent, and spread among the opponents' campus before anyone knew there was an infection.

So I guess the summary of my take on it is that the teams are going to be seriously isolated if they're going to play, no matter how they decide to re-start sports. I think once the conferences come to that realization, they'll open to the extent they need to house teams because I don't expect college sports to get the kind of federal bailout big business is getting and without 2020 March Madness and 2020 CFB, a lot of athletic departments are going under.

I don't know what's going to happen, but I know what's not going to happen - - - a "business as usual" 12 game schedule that begins at Wisconsin in early September and ends versus Purdue in late November.

Reactions: TMFT
I don't disagree with the premise, but I disagree with the conclusion. First, because if the teams are back on campus alone and kept isolated they'll be at less risk than if they're at home. They'd be tested on the way in, they wouldn't have to go anywhere for groceries. They'd be doing the same e-learning that the rest of the student body would be doing.

And let's take it a step further, regardless of when the students come back to campus and the conferences decide to resume sports, the teams are going to be isolated and taking e-learning even if the rest of the students are in class live. Short of a vaccine, there is a 0% chance they can put athletes among the general student body and prevent an outbreak. Someone would get infected, be asymptomatic, spread among the team, spread to an opponent, and spread among the opponents' campus before anyone knew there was an infection.

So I guess the summary of my take on it is that the teams are going to be seriously isolated if they're going to play, no matter how they decide to re-start sports. I think once the conferences come to that realization, they'll open to the extent they need to house teams because I don't expect college sports to get the kind of federal bailout big business is getting and without 2020 March Madness and 2020 CFB, a lot of athletic departments are going under.

i am not disagreeing with your logic, however between the lawyers and the insurance underwriters and Pandemic experts, no university President or BOT will have the will to invite the microscopic views of the terrible optics of risking a bad result in a sport dominated by athletes whose race has ready been identified as the most vulnerable. Good luck quarantining one hundred and twenty 18-22 year old young men for almost three months.

Right now we are dealing with limited actual information. I am curious how people’s views are going to evolve over time as we hopefully get a better handle on what’s happening.
I think evolve over time is the critical component. I suspect we'll have really good information by june 1, or june 15 at the latest. once we have a full month of people back at work we'll have an idea of what a spike will look like. if we get a significant spike after people return to work no chance we'll play football this fall. the scary thing is if it is seasonal and we get cookin with football and in october it's back in full force

Reactions: vesuvius13 and TMFT
As small of a sample size as this is, the results are misleading, because around 66% of us think there will be some form of a football season this year.

Reactions: TMFT and vesuvius13
Question, if there is no FB in 2020/2021 will everyone get another year of eligibility?
I see BB possibly not starting until Jan 2021.
My gut would say that the NCAA will make it possible, but very few schools will take them up on it. If the total scholarship limit were still in place it would throw the class balance way out of whack. Plus it would throw a pretty significant wrench in developing younger/new players.

But these are unprecedented times, so anyone's guess is as good as anyone else's.

Reactions: vesuvius13
It sure sounds to me like games will played this fall. As to what that will look like (fans/no fans, abbreviated schedules/where the students are/etc) is certainly up for debate/discussion/opinions.

Right or wrong or differing opinions for a variety of reasons (don't want to turn the thread political), Trump seems to be talking with heads of business, sports, academics, agriculture, etc to figure out when to open the economy. In my mind, when that opening is decided, sports and academia will follow soon after.

But I will stick with my original opinion that I'd be shocked if games aren't played in some form or another this fall.

I think some colleges will be going under. Mostly those with small Endowments.

I just can't see how universities can afford to host football and basketball games without fans in attendance. That would include a visiting team having to spend money to travel without being adequately compensated.

I just can't see how universities can afford to host football and basketball games without fans in attendance. That would include a visiting team having to spend money to travel without being adequately compensated.
The games would undoubtedly still be on television so there would be plenty of revenue.

Just my opinion, but I still think the really smart move would be to just forget it as far as this Fall goes for the safety of players, the staff and the fans... ((not to mention the health care workers who'll once again be affected if our "need" for entertainment triggers a 2nd wave of this crud))...

I'd just give all involved one more year on their scholarship clock (that's everybody), and turn the next 8-12 months into one big rehab/strength and conditioning exercise (at home) until a viable vaccine is in place, then allow what I'd call Spring Practices Enhanced (twice the number of practices+), than a 10 day break..., then Summer Practices Enhanced (with coaching contact allowed), then another 10 day break, then Fall Camp for the 2021 season...

All of the above is "if" we don't have a viable vaccine for the players and staff in place by July 5th...(of this year: 2020)..., and we do have a vaccine by March of 2021...

Even with a vaccine available to the Team by 7/5/20, I'd still say televised only for this Fall... Our entertainment is not worth anyone's life.

Last edited:

Do not favor it, but expenses would be paid by conference. BTN was a billion dollar property
A month ago. Virtually worthless without games,

Just my opinion, but I still think the really smart move would be to just forget it as far as this Fall goes for the safety of players, the staff and the fans... ((not to mention the health care workers who'll once again be affected if our "need" for entertainment triggers a 2nd wave of this crud))...

I'd just give all involved one more year on their scholarship clock (that's everybody), and turn the next 8-12 months into one big rehab/strength and conditioning exercise (at home) until a viable vaccine is in place, then allow what I'd call Spring Practices Enhanced (twice the number of practices+), than a 10 day break..., then Summer Practices Enhanced (with coaching contact allowed), then another 10 day break, then Fall Camp for the 2021 season...

All of the above is "if" we don't have a viable vaccine for the players and staff in place by July 5th...(of this year: 2020)..., and we do have a vaccine by March of 2021...

Even with a vaccine available to the Team by 7/5/20, I'd still say televised only for this Fall... Our entertainment is not worth anyone's life.

This plan would cost literally hundreds of millions of dollars between the costs of scholarships, loss of attendance, and loss of TV revenue. I actually think it would top a billion dollars the more I think of about it.

This plan would cost literally hundreds of millions of dollars between the costs of scholarships, loss of attendance, and loss of TV revenue. I actually think it would top a billion dollars the more I think of about it.

If we lose (as in gone forever, taken by COVID19) players and fans and college football becomes clearly responsible for restarting a global pandemic (when we had just seemed to have it under control) what do you think the dollar number on just the lawsuits alone would be? Do you think college football as an institution would survive??

Last edited:
Reactions: Bowlmania
If we lose (as in gone forever) players and fans and college football becomes clearly responsible for restarting a global pandemic (when we had just seemed to have it somewhat under control) what do you think the dollar number on just the lawsuits alone would be? Do you think college football as an institution would survive??
We're all flying blind here. Nobody (including the scientists) knows for sure what's coming. Some patients in South Korea have retested positive for Covid. Does this mean they didn't develop immunity after having the virus or was it just a glitch in testing? Will this new drug (Remdesivir) prove to be as beneficial as preliminary trials would suggest? Is there any chance that the timeline for the production of a vaccine can be accelerated?

Maybe I'm stating the obvious but, as far as IU football goes, the critical factor is whether the campus (IU Bloomington) opens for the Fall semester. If the campus remains closed, there's no way we'll see football this Fall, with or without fans.

Another consideration is that it's not just the state of Indiana or the situation in Bloomington that is entirely controlling. We're scheduled to play 6 road games. New Jersey, for example, is getting pummeled by the virus. It's hard to imagine they'll be amenable to sporting events by October, which is when we're scheduled to play Rutgers in Piscataway.

i am not disagreeing with your logic, however between the lawyers and the insurance underwriters and Pandemic experts, no university President or BOT will have the will to invite the microscopic views of the terrible optics of risking a bad result in a sport dominated by athletes whose race has ready been identified as the most vulnerable. Good luck quarantining one hundred and twenty 18-22 year old young men for almost three months.

Sadly...I think you are right. This decision won't be made by ADs or coaches.

TV money is so much more important than gate fees. For those conferences with networks, missing fans won't be that big of an issue as long as they can play and televise games

I tried to lock the poll but apparently I screwed it up and it will be open until April 27. I’ll post it again the first week of May. Based on what we’ve seen so far there is no consensus. And at this point it’s all wild ass guess. I don’t envy Tom Allen having to hold the troops together. But he has a consistent and earnest message. Keep the faith Coach Allen

With even more data coming out, the staggering amount of people already having the virus and never knowing it, I have no doubt college football will happen this Fall. Once society is “uncaged” so to speak, it’s never going back.

The biggest factor is money though. A lot of colleges can’t survive going e-learning again. A lot of athletic departments can’t survive without their football TV money.

I think it’ll be no fans, but I definitely think it’ll happen. The corona virus kills. There’s no doubt. But the truer number is looking significantly lower than 1%.

With even more data coming out, the staggering amount of people already having the virus and never knowing it, I have no doubt college football will happen this Fall. Once society is “uncaged” so to speak, it’s never going back.

The biggest factor is money though. A lot of colleges can’t survive going e-learning again. A lot of athletic departments can’t survive without their football TV money.

I think it’ll be no fans, but I definitely think it’ll happen. The corona virus kills. There’s no doubt. But the truer number is looking significantly lower than 1%.
They are finding medicines that help people get over this virus very quickly if others would just research they can see this too. People in the media are denying this. Here are a few: https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-covid-19-treatments.html There will be more drugs that help people for the virus and we don't have to wait for a vaccine. Conditions can change drastically before fall that could allow life to get back to normal.

They are finding medicines that help people get over this virus very quickly if others would just research they can see this too. People in the media are denying this. Here are a few: https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-covid-19-treatments.html There will be more drugs that help people for the virus and we don't have to wait for a vaccine. Conditions can change drastically before fall that could allow life to get back to normal.
I'd like to know the names of the media outlets (I'll be sure not to read them or watch them anymore) that are denying that studies and trials are underway to find an effective treatment.

The article you cite is very informative. It is also replete with phrases like "could be," "has the potential" and "anecdotal evidence." Doctors don't know for sure that a drug is effective and safe for a specific use until a clinical trial has been completed, and clinical trials take months (usually many months) to complete. The idea that life could be back to normal by September is pie in the sky. I would be thrilled to be wrong about this, so please bump this post up to the top on the eve of the Wisconsin game so I can happily admit I was way off the mark.

I can speak for my small town in Southern Indiana, life was back to normal as of yesterday, except for the fact we can’t go inside restaurants. Pizza shops were packed, drive thrus were long, take out lines out the door, Lowe’s and Rural King were jammed full. People are done with it, there will be a second wave, but I don’t think most care anymore.

I can speak for my small town in Southern Indiana, life was back to normal as of yesterday, except for the fact we can’t go inside restaurants. Pizza shops were packed, drive thrus were long, take out lines out the door, Lowe’s and Rural King were jammed full. People are done with it, there will be a second wave, but I don’t think most care anymore.
That’s lousy to hear as some of us are sitting home for another six weeks. I really think this patchwork approach has been asinine. There should have been a complete and total lockdown across the board a month ago for everywhere. The people in your town are back to normal and 50 miles away people are on lockdown. Dumb.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT