ADVERTISEMENT

I’m guessing Inge as DC was planned and not a surprise to CTA

mobilehoosier

Senior
Nov 17, 2012
Mobile, Alabama
If you think about it Inge was special teams coordinator and looking for DC. Allen didn’t have that to offer so I’m guessing CTA supported inge to move on and up.

Anyone who doesn’t think these moves were orchestrated is a fool. These guys care about and support each other.

No way this was done without CTA ‘s blessing.

Thoughts?

This story came out more than a week ago. Still not official. Why hasn't there been a press conference at Fresno State?

orchestrated?

I'm guessing it was as simple as DeBoer asking for permission to speak with Inge about the DC position and Allen saying yes. Who knows the timeline of events but it would be bad form to try to get in the way of assistants moving on to better jobs.

Wasn't suggesting that Allen is getting in the way.

But you could debate which is the 'better' job.....DC in Mountain West or ST Coordinator in BIG? Might be pretty even both financially and professionally.

Take out the names and schools out of the conversation:
Would a DC at Central Michigan or New Mexico interview to be Special Teams coordinator at Mississippi or Arizona?

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
orchestrated?

I'm guessing it was as simple as DeBoer asking for permission to speak with Inge about the DC position and Allen saying yes. Who knows the timeline of events but it would be bad form to try to get in the way of assistants moving on to better jobs.
And let's face it. Inge is a knowledgeable football guy, but he wasn't exactly lighting it up as special teams coordinator. This was a win-win for Inge and Allen.

And let's face it. Inge is a knowledgeable football guy, but he wasn't exactly lighting it up as special teams coordinator. This was a win-win for Inge and Allen.

What can a special teams coordinator do to "light it up"?

Wasn't suggesting that Allen is getting in the way.

But you could debate which is the 'better' job.....DC in Mountain West or ST Coordinator in BIG? Might be pretty even both financially and professionally.

Take out the names and schools out of the conversation:
Would a DC at Central Michigan or New Mexico interview to be Special Teams coordinator at Mississippi or Arizona?
Success at which job is more likely to lead to a P5 coordinator position or G5 head coaching position?

Reactions: vesuvius13
What can a special teams coordinator do to "light it up"?

Get your guys lined up properly in anticipation of a possible Onside Kick for staters.

Recovering such a kick to seal the Win would really "light it up" in my book...

I hope he does well in Fresno and makes it back to the Iowa staff someday...

Special Teams has to play better than it has over the past couple of years if we're ever gonna start beating the big boys...

///Didn't care much for his not having been ready for Michigan's going for two play either...///

Get your guys lined up properly in anticipation of a possible Onside Kick for staters.

Recovering such a kick to seal the Win would really "light it up" in my book...

I hope he does well in Fresno and makes it back to the Iowa staff someday...

Special Teams has to play better than it has over the past couple of years if we're ever gonna start beating the big boys...

///Didn't care much for his not having been ready for Michigan's going for two play either...///

That was on the Head Coach.

Tom Allen didn't expect the onside kick at that juncture. He told them not to put the hands team out there. He's said so multiple times including on the post game interview with Fisch.

Reactions: JIMSHAM

Tom Allen didn't expect the onside kick at that juncture. He told them not to put the hands team out there. He's said so multiple times including on the post game interview with Fisch.
You don’t think that is not the head coach covering for one of his guys.?
Ultimately it is CTA’s call yes. Maybe just like he allows other coaches to coach he allowed Inge to coach. Also just because you believe that they should have expected an onside kick doesn’t make you right hindsight is 20/20 though. I was talking to one my former players a UT grad and he was talking about what a gutsy call it was by Pruitt with4:21 and 3 timeouts. So not everyone believes it was a sure thing.

Last edited:

No, I don't think he was covering. He explained his decision.

Special Teams coaches can't go to the bathroom without permission from the Head Coach. If Tom wanted the hands team out there the hands team would have been out there.

Reactions: Hoosier009

If that's the case he may as well have saved the money spent on a Special Teams Coach...

There were several other gaffes over the past couple of years that would have gotten anyone else, anywhere else, an early exit...

This worked out well for all concerned..,

I don’t think I would have had the hands team out there. I would have had a different formation though. Also the 2 guys closest to the ball were Gary Cooper and Ronnie Walker 2 guys that probably would have been on the hands team anyway. Neither of which did a great job reacting the kick. I would assume they were told to be aware of ons kick since that is done prior to all KORs. Not blaming the kids because they were unsuccessful for a reason. It I am saying biggest reason was alignment. That is coaching.

I don’t think I would have had the hands team out there. I would have had a different formation though. Also the 2 guys closest to the ball were Gary Cooper and Ronnie Walker 2 guys that probably would have been on the hands team anyway. Neither of which did a great job reacting the kick. I would assume they were told to be aware of ons kick since that is done prior to all KORs. Not blaming the kids because they were unsuccessful for a reason. It I am saying biggest reason was alignment. That is coaching.

I don’t disagree at all. But it’s hard to judge how good of a job a guy does or doesn’t do based on a few plays.

I’m not arguing with you or 71. Just a difference of opinion.

I’d have had the hands team out. Especially since you can fair catch a kickoff.

Go IU

I don’t disagree at all. But it’s hard to judge how good of a job a guy does or doesn’t do based on a few plays.

I’m not arguing with you or 71. Just a difference of opinion.

I’d have had the hands team out. Especially since you can fair catch a kickoff.

Go IU
Probably get close to a 50/50 split in that situation. If the onside kick was unsuccessful then Pruitt looks bad. Give the Hoosiers the ball at midfield now they just need a couple of first downs and they are presumably in field goal range maybe even in the red zone. Even if you don’t get first downs you punt and give them the ball at worst the 20 yard line and probably minus any timeouts. They kick it deep get the ball at the 25. They give up no first downs we punt they get the ball back 30-40 yard line.

Probably get close to a 50/50 split in that situation. If the onside kick was unsuccessful then Pruitt looks bad. Give the Hoosiers the ball at midfield now they just need a couple of first downs and they are presumably in field goal range maybe even in the red zone. Even if you don’t get first downs you punt and give them the ball at worst the 20 yard line and probably minus any timeouts. They kick it deep get the ball at the 25. They give up no first downs we punt they get the ball back 30-40 yard line.
Obviously since we know what happened we know the decision to not have hands team on the field was wrong . 4:21left and less than 3 timeout I probably say absolutely gets the hands team on the field.

Inge has been in coaching for 21 years. Generally, those on a fast track for a coordinator position get into those slots much earlier. Maybe his forte is simply a position coach or LBs? Who knows?

Good for him on the promotion.
One thing I would like to see from our ST is a bit more aggressiveness.

We never seem to try and block a punt and our guys are forever backpedaling on the kick returns.

How about a fake punt once and a while?

Ultimately it is CTA’s call yes. Maybe just like he allows other coaches to coach he allowed Inge to coach. Also just because you believe that they should have expected an onside kick doesn’t make you right hindsight is 20/20 though. I was talking to one my former players a UT grad and he was talking about what a gutsy call it was by Pruitt with4:21 and 3 timeouts. So not everyone believes it was a sure thing.
I do! Also a coach with a new contract with perpetual renewals. That is what leaders do. I'm starting to believe in CTA's leadership. I hope we keep winning. Feels pretty good.

Just my opinion but I believe our ST play has been steadily been improving over the past three years since Wilson. Naming a ST coordinator was long overdue giving that portion of the game it's proper importance. Overall it's been a stable position group with a solid kicking game and developing return men. That doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement and I'm hopeful that our next ST coach will take that piece of the game to the next level. Yes...freely admit that many of us will be waking up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat thinking about that onside kick and what could have been if we got that play right. Once again room for improvement but vastly improved from where we were 2 to three years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT