ADVERTISEMENT

I’m a cord cutter and looking to get Fox Sports Midwest

Eppy99

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 27, 2001
To start watching the Pacers. Over the past year we’ve been satisfied with just using an air antenna for locals though we often lose the signal and watching movies/shows through Netflix, Prime and Disney Plus.

I have one Roku and smart tv.

I’d rather not pay a lot of money for a bunch of channels we won’t watch which is why we got rid of cable in the first place.

Are Hulu Live and YouTube subscription my cheapest and best options? I’ll probably cancel after the Pacers season. Looks like Hulu is $55 and a bit cheaper than YouTube. I didn’t include Sling because I don’t think they would include our local fox sports to catch the Pacers but correct me if I’m wrong. Am I missing anything? TIA

To start watching the Pacers. Over the past year we’ve been satisfied with just using an air antenna for locals though we often lose the signal and watching movies/shows through Netflix, Prime and Disney Plus.

I’d rather not pay a lot of money for a bunch of channels we won’t watch which is why we got rid of cable in the first place.

Are Hulu Live and YouTube subscription my cheapest and best options? I’ll probably cancel after the Pacers season. Looks like Hulu is $55 and a bit cheaper than YouTube. I didn’t include Sling because I don’t think they would include our local fox sports to catch the Pacers but correct me if I’m wrong. Am I missing anything? TIA
You tube tv unfortunately has gone up a lot-it's 65.00/month now. Too bad as I really like it otherwise.

You tube tv unfortunately has gone up a lot-it's 65.00/month now. Too bad as I really like it otherwise.
Every time I think about cord cutting I see something like this and say screw it. I've always been able to bitch at Comcast and get some kind of bundle deal that brings the cost down to where it's reasonable.

where else do you have blatant collusion to the point you have to buy a bunch of stuff you don't want, to get the things you do want.

the bundle absolutely should be illegal, especially in something that's essentially a utility.

politicians are afraid as heck of the media, and big telecom, on top of they and regulators being outright bought.

as for streaming services, they are comprised of the same media companies colluding just the same as they do on cable and satellite, so naive to think you'll do better there long term.

while i know not where you live, a better digital antenna or better placement of the one you've got, may be your best option.

looking forward to some Pacers myself. (wonder how long it will last).

Reactions: 76-1
Every time I think about cord cutting I see something like this and say screw it. I've always been able to bitch at Comcast and get some kind of bundle deal that brings the cost down to where it's reasonable.
That's a totally fair conclusion, but I'd look at your all-in bill before deciding. Are you paying taxes, fees, surcharges, box charges, etc.? What's your all-in spend for TV? With YTTV, that monthly fee is everything; there aren't any add-ons and there is no equipment.

That's a totally fair conclusion, but I'd look at your all-in bill before deciding. Are you paying taxes, fees, surcharges, box charges, etc.? What's your all-in spend for TV? With YTTV, that monthly fee is everything; there aren't any add-ons and there is no equipment.

i'm not sure YTTV will let you skip/ff through commercials on their DVR, other than select channels.

same with other streaming services.

others who have these services can possibly better inform, as i don't subscribe to said streaming services.

being forced to watch commercials these days makes tv literally unwatchable, even shows i like.

thus i watch almost exclusive on the DVR. (and don't even get me going on the DVR cable and satellite force you to rent per month).

back in the day, commercial breaks were regulated to being no more than 2 mins.

now they've often 5, 6, even 8 mins.

that's what buying govt and regulation gets the buyers.

I've not made a sophisticated analysis, but I think I'm good. I pay $135/mo total bill for high speed Internet and get ESPN, ESPN2, FSN, BTN, and all the networks and two PBS channels and three CSPAN channels and all the cable news I want, all with my "Basic Plus" bundle. If I went with Internet only, that would be $40-50/mo. (I own my own equipment.) YTTV @ $65/mo is getting me close to where I am now, and I have to believe there would be holes that would need filled otherwise. From what I can gather, Bton is a shitty area for over the air digital reception for normal local TV, so that would suck ass for network shows and sports.

SWMBO has Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. She's had Prime for forever, since before streaming, just for the deals and free shipping. I suspect she'd still need her Hulu and Netflix too, so no savings there.

But hey, I'm an old fvck who doesn't like change. We just gave up our land line about a year ago, and even then we replaced it with a TracFon with the same number.

I get @chaser23ed for cable and internet. $120 a month for Viasat internet which still sucks balls, and 150 a month for direct tv and I don’t even get hbo or showtime. All for nfl Sunday ticket and btn, and they aren’t even charging me the 3-4hundred extra right now for Sunday ticket. Jesus I’m burning money aren’t I.

This is a good point. I also like how easy it is to control my account. I turned Hulu Live off for the last 4.5 months since there were no sports to watch. Turned it back on for the NBA. You can also add an HBO for a month just to watch a series and then turn it off again.

Reactions: Eppy99
When Orlando Magic games, from the bubble, are on NBA channel, they are blacked out in my area (Sebring, Fl.) I'm supposed to watch them on FS Florida, a part of the Sports Package.
Fox Florida and Fox Sun have been removed from Dishtv because of a pissing contest over rates.
During hockey season, I'm unable to watch the Lightening.
F#%king bastards!

When Orlando Magic games, from the bubble, are on NBA channel, they are blacked out in my area (Sebring, Fl.) I'm supposed to watch them on FS Florida, a part of the Sports Package.
Fox Florida and Fox Sun have been removed from Dishtv because of a pissing contest over rates.
During hockey season, I'm unable to watch the Lightening.
F#%king bastards!

break up the bundle, everything changes literally the next day.

that said, what company wouldn't want to have everyone forced to buy their product, in order to buy any other product.

and of course, that would never in a million yrs have any bearing on how the product was priced, would it.

of course, that's blatantly illegal everywhere but pay tv.

as to who to be mad at,

th

th

th

th

th

th

th

th

th

th

maybe more American flags would help.

if you're not taking me literally, do.

these people are not your friends or allies.

and the ones you think are on your team, aren't in the slightest.

i know, no one wants to hear the truth about their own team.

Last edited:
You watched the game? Pretty hypocritical of you to support the marxists, VSM.
Is the NBA beholden to Chi-Nah? Yes, it is. Not every person kneeling knows that BLM is a self identified marxist organization. The reason is because of the title of the organization. Second, they have co opted a real issue of racism and are using it to go forward with their revolution agenda. What can I say, I love the game of basketball. Do I believe America is guilty of racism because of its founding and must be done away with and remade? No, I don't believe we are any more racist than any other nation on the Earth.

Is the NBA beholden to Chi-Nah? Yes, it is. Not every person kneeling knows that BLM is a self identified marxist organization. The reason is because of the title of the organization. Second, they have co opted a real issue of racism and are using it to go forward with their revolution agenda. What can I say, I love the game of basketball. Do I believe America is guilty of racism because of its founding and must be done away with and remade? No, I don't believe we are any more racist than any other nation on the Earth.
Shorter VSM: "Yes, I am a hypocrite, and I don't have the courage of my convictions, so I will turn myself into a pretzel to justify my weakness."

Not every person kneeling knows that BLM is a self identified marxist organization.
I've pointed this out to you before, and I don't know why but I'm going to point it out again: Athletes who kneel during the National Anthem before games are not necessarily supporters of the BLM organization. You're confusing the protests against systemic racism by law enforcement with a formal organization named Black Lives Matter. The phrase "black lives matter" and the organization "Black Lives Matter" are not one and the same. Quit pretending they are - you're wrong.

Edit: and take this to the Cooler - it doesn't belong here.

ADVERTISEMENT