ADVERTISEMENT

I’ll tell ya what folks, my family is from Boston

He prefers coaching the Celtics to building a mid major program, with limited resources, to where he expects to be.

Completely different comparison to a top 10 level program, with top facilities, top budgets, etc...

You think Calipari and K’s jobs are any “harder” than Stevens? I’m sure there are a few colleges that would be glad to set him up like those guys are.
Do I think they are "harder"? No. Do I think not dealing with recruiting, NCAA rules and regs, administration, AD and alumni might be preferable to many/most coaches? I know so.

We have 2 football coaches who left the NFL to come back to IU . I know that one felt Bloomington was a better fit and life style for him , and his family . Bloomington being a college town has a lot to offer , and Indy is close . While Indy might not be Boston , it's not podunkville either . Also the cost of living in Indiana is way better than out East.

Let's be honest...when was the last time Brad said anything about wanting to come back to coach in college...let alone, come to IU...let alone....have to come and fix this giant mess? Delusional fans are the only ones keeping this tin-foiled dream alive.

Coaches under contract rarely come out and talk about any job openings elsewhere. To even entertain the question, especially on record would be foolish.

At one time, it may have been stupid to even consider reaching out. Now may not be that time. The point is, any serious executive with Multi year, multi million dollar contracts to throw around goes after a list of top targets. You make people tell you no. You don’t say, “well he probably won’t want to come here, so let’s go on down the list.”

Feelers will be sent. If there is interest, things will progress. If no interest, then you move on. It’s pretty simple and has nothing to do with people’s feelings, or lack of imagination.

Reactions: kkott
Let's be honest...when was the last time Brad said anything about wanting to come back to coach in college...let alone, come to IU...let alone....have to come and fix this giant mess? Delusional fans are the only ones keeping this tin-foiled dream alive.
When was the last time anyone asked him those questions? You sound like every other week a reporter asks if he wants to go back to coaching college teams.

When was the last time anyone asked him those questions? You sound like every other week a reporter asks if he wants to go back to coaching college teams.
I think it's been a few years, because the last time i remember it being asked, his answer made it fairly clear that he was happy where he was at (NBA).

With that said, and while I refuse to re-engage in this dream, I'm all for someone within the IU BoT reaching out to Brad and getting a refresh on this topic. If he even offers the slightest hint of hope, I won't even be able to sleep. But until that happens...nah, not happening.

tenor.gif

He also has school aged kids. It’s not outlandish to reason why landing at what could be a multi decade home at a college somewhere, might be something appealing to him right now. There’s no NBA job that would offer the same chances of longer term stability.

I actually think Stevens back to college is a likelihood at some point. I just think, per usual, the combination of timing and our admin being horrible, it probably won’t be Bloomington. I’m sure he’ll end up at Duke or Carolina when one of those two retire.

Tatum was doing a pressor and you could hear players breaking shit in the locker room and Brad saying "guys stop!"

He could actually coach basketball at IU and have all the control. That has to be appealing after what he has gone through in Boston. He had Kyrie, Isiah Thomas, some real drama guys.

I appreciate the wishful thinking, but Stevens isn't leaving the best coaching job in sports (one of) to go to college...unless it's Duke, perhaps.

And I don't see Boston firing him anytime soon.

I appreciate the wishful thinking, but Stevens isn't leaving the best coaching job in sports (one of) to go to college...unless it's Duke, perhaps.

And I don't see Boston firing him anytime soon.
I'm friends with a close relative of someone that's very close to BS. Several years ago when I inquired about BS coming here, they said not a chance. He was totally happy in the NBA and was "enjoying the challenge". Talked to that person this fall (before the season) and was joking about CAM and asked if BS was ready to come back. His comment was along the lines of , "I don't see it happening, but it wouldn't shock me either" I inquired a bit more and he didn't get specific (and I didn't ask), but simply said the novelty and excitement had definitely worn off.

I would doubt that it happens, but I also don't think it's out of the realm of possibility. I will say, if Dolson doesn't put the feelers out, he's a total buffoon. BS is the type of hire that WOULD get the big donors excited. I could totally see someone saying "Look, you get BS, my check book is open"

Last edited:
I'm friends with a very close relative of someone that's very close to BS. Several years ago when I inquired about BS coming here, they said not a chance. He was totally happy in the NBA and was "enjoying the challenge". Talked to that person this fall (before the season) and was joking about CAM and asked if BS was ready to come back. His comment was along the lines of , "I don't see it happening, but it wouldn't shock me either" I inquired a bit more and he didn't get specific (and I didn't ask), but simply said the novelty and excitement had definitely worn off.

I would doubt that it happens, but I also don't think it's out of the realm of possibility. I will say, if Dolson doesn't put the feelers out, he's a total buffoon. BS is the type of hire that WOULD get the big donors excited. I could totally see someone saying "Look, you get BS, my check book is open"

Yeah I think even if it took a Calipari like lifetime contract that the boosters would be willing to cover it.

I'm friends with a close relative of someone that's very close to BS. Several years ago when I inquired about BS coming here, they said not a chance. He was totally happy in the NBA and was "enjoying the challenge". Talked to that person this fall (before the season) and was joking about CAM and asked if BS was ready to come back. His comment was along the lines of , "I don't see it happening, but it wouldn't shock me either" I inquired a bit more and he didn't get specific (and I didn't ask), but simply said the novelty and excitement had definitely worn off.

My checkbook is relatively small compared to big donors, but I’d write a 5 figure check tomorrow if he was hired.

sure has....for 20 yrs I've averaged 40-60 flights a year. Last year (2020), I had a total of 6....four before March 1. Now, wearing a mask from the moment you walk into the departure airport, until you get your rental car at the arriving airport, every time you leave your hotel room...it sucks now. Hotels downsizing (or in some cases, removing) their breakfast service. Soon we will need our COVID ID badges (ie. "I got the vaccines!") to do any of this. But I get a sneaking suspicion that getting rid of the masks isn't ever going to be part of the plan. Sorry, that's a topic that could tangent off into a real firestorm topic. But yes...air travel is a PITA compared to 12 months ago, if you don't enjoy wearing masks. And I don't.
I have made 2 international round trips and they were absolute nightmares. One return flight delayed by four weeks with cancellation after cancellation. When flights do happen you need to keep your head down and keep moving forward or you will be diverted by someone that doesn’t have a clue what the current rules are. Flight changes in one of the international hubs are journeys into the unknown and dining at hotel overnights have often been Cheetos and Oreos from any vending machines that haven't been emptied.

We've had some bad timing before when making hires. This could finally be the time the stars line up. Dolson needs to go all in. 10 years at around $85M might get it done.
normally I'd say that was an absurd amount of money, but if they're now giving 22-tear-old shortstops 14-year contracts worth $340 Million, what the heck.......

But the Celtics are paying him what $4M a year? We offer $8M a year that's a massive pay increase. I just can't see Boston coming anywhere near matching it given that most of the fans probably want him fired. Might be too good to pass up. I never thought it before but I honestly now think Stevens is doable.
And the cost of living is a lot higher in Bean Town. So $8m in Indiana is like $13-14m in Boston.

Reactions: Brockettman
He also has school aged kids. It’s not outlandish to reason why landing at what could be a multi decade home at a college somewhere, might be something appealing to him right now. There’s no NBA job that would offer the same chances of longer term stability.

I actually think Stevens back to college is a likelihood at some point. I just think, per usual, the combination of timing and our admin being horrible, it probably won’t be Bloomington. I’m sure he’ll end up at Duke or Carolina when one of those two retire.
My confidence is high. Our admin are buffoons. They will miss a layup let alone from three.

how so? 5 post season trips in 30 years. Outside of the big red machine the reds have been one of the worst franchises in the MLB.

Go cards.
Not even close to the worst. The current ownership has done a good job of running it into the ground and making it a laughing stock the last 4 or 5 years and those guys came over from the cards. Being a Reds fan has been good practice for being an IU basketball fan of late.

Reactions: Remain
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT