ADVERTISEMENT

Hysterical pronouncements on IU Player abilities

rikki-tikka-tava

All-American
Jul 17, 2002
So very many posts in various threads stating what IU's Players are and are not capable of doing on the Court. Mostly a lot of swamp gas IMO because almost no one posting has seen any of the veterans play since last March, nor will they until HH. Same mostly goes for the recruits. Far too often little to no consideration of the possibility or likelihood of off-Season development and maturation: Devonte Green is going to be the same reckless NY-style guard as before, Moore will still be challenged, Aljami won't really have a groove or stroke, Zach fated to be an offensive liability, etc., etc. Fact is, no one really knows or will until they get on the Floor and play.

Granted there are general trends WRT player evolution or a lack thereof, ranges for realistic expectations of growth and development, reams of statistical data for charting year to year growth and improvement, etc. There are also anomalies, outliers and exceptions - VO in particular comes to mind as someone who walked onto campus (largely unheralded) with at-best modest skills as a ball-handler/defensive presence and through successive off-seasons busted his ass and developed into a phenom on both ends of the Court. Doubtless a lot of posters that imagine he did that in spite of rather than because of CTC, also imagine that CAM and his Staff are better at development and conditioning. Maybe, maybe not, but again it's really too early to know, and by extension, way too early to pigeonhole Players and assert what their ceilings are on the basis of what they've done previously. Sure, it's a tell but hardly anything definitive or that should be written in stone.

There are reasons why pre-season and post-season polls generally bear little resemblance to one another, why KenPom, Sagarin, et al. rankings carry disclaimers until enough games have been played to represent a significant sample size and/or 'link' performance, why there are always projected bottom-dwellers that miraculously rise to the top and locks that tank and settle for or even fail to make the NIT (see IU 2016-17). Free country, open board, say what thou wilt, but the certain pronouncements on Player roles and upper limits are tedious BS absent any actual, real-time data/observations.

Whatever. Just hard to fathom why anyone is slagging off on any IU Player before the Season even starts or pretending to know what they will or will not be come November, and especially when its highly probable those same Players are in the gym right f-ing now working like men possessed.

You must be really bored....
Aren't we all this time of year? This time of year is the dead zone for an IU sports message board....the doldrums Jim Morrison was referring to in "Horse Latitudes".

Hey, I drove by the IU sports complex yesterday and things are starting to take shape. The football stadium is really looking nice. My initial reaction was "enclosed stadium-lite" compared to a totally enclosed at the same level with nothing but seating like up at Michigan but then I saw and appreciated the uniqueness in it and give it "two thumbs up". Also, the new volleyball/wrestling facility in the southeast corner has the girders in place and it now dwarfs the adjacent basketball practice building. My only concern is I hope they didn't pack things in too tightly. They have quite a hodgepodge of architectural styles but I guess that can be considered a plus. Now, about that parking....according to my logic, the more buildings the less parking. I hope they don't ever encroach upon the south grassy lot with asphalt for more structured parking. They are in the process now of re-contouring a large area of it next to 17th St. I think it might be just to improve drainage but I couldn't really tell. I'll be glad when all the construction is over, including the apartment complex immediately west of the Memorial Stadium. With all the newness going on around the sports complex and the I-69 fiasco, it has been agonizing for IU fans and needs to come to conclusion soon.

"And the first animal is jettisoned with legs furiously pumping in mute nostril agony."

Aren't we all this time of year? This time of year is the dead zone for an IU sports message board....the doldrums Jim Morrison was referring to in "Horse Latitudes".

Hey, I drove by the IU sports complex yesterday and things are starting to take shape. The football stadium is really looking nice. My initial reaction was "enclosed stadium-lite" compared to a totally enclosed at the same level with nothing but seating like up at Michigan but then I saw and appreciated the uniqueness in it and give it "two thumbs up". Also, the new volleyball/wrestling facility in the southeast corner has the girders in place and it now dwarfs the adjacent basketball practice building. My only concern is I hope they didn't pack things in too tightly. They have quite a hodgepodge of architectural styles but I guess that can be considered a plus. Now, about that parking....according to my logic, the more buildings the less parking. I hope they don't ever encroach upon the south grassy lot with asphalt for more structured parking. They are in the process now of re-contouring a large area of it next to 17th St. I think it might be just to improve drainage but I couldn't really tell. I'll be glad when all the construction is over, including the apartment complex immediately west of the Memorial Stadium. With all the newness going on around the sports complex and the I-69 fiasco, it has been agonizing for IU fans and needs to come to conclusion soon.

"And the first animal is jettisoned with legs furiously pumping in mute nostril agony."

What do you think of the style of the south end zone v. the north end? Does it look as good? Do you think they're compatible?

What do you think of the style of the south end zone v. the north end? Does it look as good? Do you think they're compatible?
I think they're complementary. The NEZ is the old gothic like the Union and Memorial Hall and Swain; the SEZ is more contemporary, like the Lilly Library or the new Education building or the Geology building. But the SEZ is done well, and it's impressive. I particularly like the pillars and iron fencing that surround it; that gives it a nice "throwback" look. And that scoreboard is fracking huge -- driving by on 17th Street it just towers over everything. The pictures don't convey its mass like seeing it in real life does.

So very many posts in various threads stating what IU's Players are and are not capable of doing on the Court. Mostly a lot of swamp gas IMO because almost no one posting has seen any of the veterans play since last March, nor will they until HH. Same mostly goes for the recruits. Far too often little to no consideration of the possibility or likelihood of off-Season development and maturation: Devonte Green is going to be the same reckless NY-style guard as before, Moore will still be challenged, Aljami won't really have a groove or stroke, Zach fated to be an offensive liability, etc., etc. Fact is, no one really knows or will until they get on the Floor and play.

Granted there are general trends WRT player evolution or a lack thereof, ranges for realistic expectations of growth and development, reams of statistical data for charting year to year growth and improvement, etc. There are also anomalies, outliers and exceptions - VO in particular comes to mind as someone who walked onto campus (largely unheralded) with at-best modest skills as a ball-handler/defensive presence and through successive off-seasons busted his ass and developed into a phenom on both ends of the Court. Doubtless a lot of posters that imagine he did that in spite of rather than because of CTC, also imagine that CAM and his Staff are better at development and conditioning. Maybe, maybe not, but again it's really too early to know, and by extension, way too early to pigeonhole Players and assert what their ceilings are on the basis of what they've done previously. Sure, it's a tell but hardly anything definitive or that should be written in stone.

There are reasons why pre-season and post-season polls generally bear little resemblance to one another, why KenPom, Sagarin, et al. rankings carry disclaimers until enough games have been played to represent a significant sample size and/or 'link' performance, why there are always projected bottom-dwellers that miraculously rise to the top and locks that tank and settle for or even fail to make the NIT (see IU 2016-17). Free country, open board, say what thou wilt, but the certain pronouncements on Player roles and upper limits are tedious BS absent any actual, real-time data/observations.

Whatever. Just hard to fathom why anyone is slagging off on any IU Player before the Season even starts or pretending to know what they will or will not be come November, and especially when its highly probable those same Players are in the gym right f-ing now working like men possessed.

Too many notes

You've a single thread here to show for 3 1/2 years yet fancy yourself a critic. Generally for those with nothing original or worth saying that's all there is, but appreciate the comparison to Mozart all the same. Cheers.

Granted. Not reading seems a handicap as a career choice but good luck.
I should add that anytime I run across a professional communication that it is, shall we say, too many notes, I automatically disagree with it, which typically causes the author to defend his/her tome in a more brief rebuttal. Saves me time.

I should add that anytime I run across a professional communication that it is, shall we say, too many notes, I automatically disagree with it, which typically causes the author to defend his/her tome in a more brief rebuttal. Saves me time.

So you waste others' time and energy because you're lazy? Sounds rather orange. Note this board is recreational, not professional, so you're under no obligation to play. If you're such a fan of less being more maybe you should use emojis or leave off replying altogether - it's not as if anyone would notice.

So you waste others' time and energy because you're lazy? Sounds rather orange. Note this board is recreational, not professional, so you're under no obligation to play. If you're such a fan of less being more maybe you should use emojis or leave off replying altogether - it's not as if anyone would notice.
The only thing I’m a fan of is reverie.

Reactions: limestonecowboy
I'll have to reserve judgement until I get a better look at the south end zone from the inside, as well as the outside when it is lit up at night. I do know that I love the look of the north end zone on the outside particularly at night under the lights. It looks very gothic....very collegiate. There is no better look for college buildings than what you see as you drive down Third St. and the north end zone mimics that same traditional look. It is a very nice looking campus in general and every time I drive to Bloomington I try to make a special jaunt to view the bell tower through the Sample Gates before turning left onto Kirkwood Ave. I pause in front of NIck's in humble adulation of fun times from yesteryear. Stromboli comes to mind and the mouth waters. I carry on only because I must.

Reactions: UncleMark
Just wondering: Is Ben Hur completed yet?

Bit mystifying coming from the likely holder of multiple records for longest posts ever (albeit made in exhaustive and thoroughly annotated attempts to prove various points, though too often to unappreciative trolls). Here's to tenacity.

Maybe he's helping Martin finish Ice and Fire.

Too fluffy for my taste but a fan of the theatrical version. Presently scribing on the demise/disgrace of the goddess Nuwa in this context:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/27/climate/climate-fwd-ozone-lobsters-beaches.html

A clever simian will infer the connection.

:cool:

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT