ADVERTISEMENT

Huge weekend coming up...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
It's seems like every weekend of late has been huge for us, but after the disappointing loss to Illinois on Tues, it's imperative that we have a good weekend in the pod. We're hoping for payback against OSU and also taking two from Neb to bring them back toward us. In addition to the pod, there is a crucial three-game series up in Ann Arbor with a series between Mich and MD. We have Michigan ahead of us in second place and MD hot on our heels in fourth place, and a 2-1 record by either team would probably be the best we could hope for in that series. I don't think I would want either of those two teams getting a sweep. As far as our own pod this weekend, we do have a slight advantage in that our four games are stretched out over four days, while OSU and Neb are subject to double-headers. It's the same as the pod that we were in at Rutgers, however, not having to play a double-header didn't do Rutgers any good as they dropped all four games.

Reactions: mk23
It's seems like every weekend of late has been huge for us, but after the disappointing loss to Illinois on Tues, it's imperative that we have a good weekend in the pod. We're hoping for payback against OSU and also taking two from Neb to bring them back toward us. In addition to the pod, there is a crucial three-game series up in Ann Arbor with a series between Mich and MD. We have Michigan ahead of us in second place and MD hot on our heels in fourth place, and a 2-1 record by either team would probably be the best we could hope for in that series. I don't think I would want either of those two teams getting a sweep. As far as our own pod this weekend, we do have a slight advantage in that our four games are stretched out over four days, while OSU and Neb are subject to double-headers. It's the same as the pod that we were in at Rutgers, however, not having to play a double-header didn't do Rutgers any good as they dropped all four games.
I was pessimistic for an at-large.....then overly optimistic for an at-large......I'm back to pessimistic for an at-large. 2-2 will keep things pretty status quo, IMO. 3-1 and we'll be in great shape. Anything less than those then I think our goose will have been cooked.

I was pessimistic for an at-large.....then overly optimistic for an at-large......I'm back to pessimistic for an at-large. 2-2 will keep things pretty status quo, IMO. 3-1 and we'll be in great shape. Anything less than those then I think our goose will have been cooked.
I was thinking 3-1 would be status quo.

Does that make me even more overly pessimistic about it than you?

I was thinking 3-1 would be status quo.

Does that make me even more overly pessimistic about it than you?
IMO, 3-1 would be acceptable; but I would prefer that two of those three wins be against Neb which would have more impact than two wins against OSU. Needless to say, a sweep this weekend would probably put us back on firm ground to get an at-large bid in the field of 64, and we still have a chance to come out on top of the heap in the conference race also. In order for any of this to happen, our hitting with runners in scoring position has to really be stepped up, and in the Illinois game, it was one failure after another in that situation that did us in.

As long as we are wishing, hoping, praying...I'd like to see us win 5 this weekend. Not sure how that'd be possible, but with the way we've been playing it's about as likely as 4-0. Save me a seat on the pessimist train. I'll happily switch trains if they prove me wrong. :)

As long as we are wishing, hoping, praying...I'd like to see us win 5 this weekend. Not sure how that'd be possible, but with the way we've been playing it's about as likely as 4-0. Save me a seat on the pessimist train. I'll happily switch trains if they prove me wrong. :)
I'm certainly trying to remain positive, but I have some doubts in the back of my mind about the team. It's a young team and I guess that makes them subject to ups and downs during a season. They sure picked the wrong time of the season to go into a mini-funk.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT