• First round or Round of 64

• Strong NIT run

• Early NIT exit

• Show steady improvement over the year

Results are only viewable after voting.

MKordIUBB

Sophomore
Jul 19, 2017
I believe we will lose in the round of 32. If you think IU will make steady improvement over the year, select that option along with how you think they'll finish.

It's really difficult to predict without even a glimpse of a Miller-coached IU ensemble.

The team has a lot of experience but will be challenged by depth and probably will have to play well as a team to do well. But if I judge the upcoming Hoosiers with my "historical" expectations (sadly, I must put that in quotes these days because it has been a long time), I'd say there is no reason why they cannot finish in the top 5 in the conference and be a difficult out in the tourney.

Much will depend on improvement of the young players, smart play and aggressive defense- and good luck in the injury department.

But I see some really good things with this team, and the first thing I'm going to point out is that I think Morgan will be a stud this year.

I also think Moore has tremendous potential as a pro level wing, and it is just a matter of how soon he can get to that level.

Smith has the physical skills to help immediately at small forward. If he picks up on what Coach Archie is trying to do, I could see him helping Hartman out on defending the wing and getting put backs in tough B1G games.

I would like to see Durham play very much as a pass-first, defense-first spark plug. And I'd like to see Hartman, Morgan and Johnson show a ton of leadership on the court to make the team better than it looks on paper.

But it's all there. Plenty of pieces. Davis needs to be in shape. Jones needs to score, Green needs to not over commit on-ball and play well off of screens and in the open court. But yeah, exciting this year for sure.

A lot of this depends on how healthy the Hoosiers are and tourney matchups (a team with a strong inside game could make us an early out), but I'm really looking forward to this year and to how we'll play.

One thing Archie's teams have typically done: Defend. In a one-an-done tournament format that variable is so very important. Offense can come and go (as we've seen so many times the past 5-6 years) but being able to get stops gives you a chance.

I could see this team get in the tournament as a 5-6 seed and make it to the second weekend. From there? Who knows - but with the pieces we'll have this year I like our chances.

IU loses a lot from this year's team. I think if they make the tournament they might win a game. I don't know how good the BIG will be.

I'm pretty optimistic about this year's team. I mean I would like a little more depth in the front court, but I think DD is going to be a beast this year. I expect JIM to be improved, we have a couple good 3 point shooters in RJ and CH. Not to mention there's a ton of experience on this year's team. I'm hoping to see some improvement from DG and CJ. More than anything I'm excited to finally have a coach who values defense and taking care of the ball. I'll probably get laughed off this thread, but I see us going to the sweet sixteen

IU loses a lot from this year's team. I think if they make the tournament they might win a game. I don't know how good the BIG will be.

Estimating the outcome of a team playing a competitive sport, in an isolated vacuum against itself and without considering the competition is a bit worthless. Competency is relative to the competition, it cannot be measured otherwise.

To give a decent opinion on this, other than purely guessing, a person would have to know the traits and personnel of at least 50 teams to do it with any validity.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
I think they will finish around fifth in the Big Ten, and earn an eight cede. Good coaching will get them through the first round, but then they will fall to a more complete team in the round of 32.

All I can say with a relative amount of confidence is that IU will make the dance. Yes, last year's team didn't and yes, we lost 2 burger boys and a 1st round pick off that team. However, the talent is there. Last year's team spectacularly underachieved, even when you take into account injuries.

The team is riddled with upperclassmen: Newkirk, Colin, Juwan, McBob, McSwain, and Rojo. Plus you have very talented underclassmen like Smith, Jones, and DeRon (Note that I like Moore and I think he has all the potential in the world, but I expect he won't contribute too much until sophomore year). Not to mention some lower rated guys who I think will have solid roles this year like Devonte.

So the talent is there. Depending on how much guys developed over the summer and how much magic Archie can work the ceiling may be even higher than just a bid to the dance. But that's all I'm willing to call for at the moment.

I'm just looking forward to watching the games without holding my nose. There is a lot of talent on this team, and they could have a great year if they play to their strengths and potential.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
I have them as a middle of the pack B10 team at this point. I think there is talent on the team but it's tough to say anything further since we don't necessarily know what we're gonna get from Archie. But I do think there is enough talent to keep us, at a minimum, on the bubble for the tourney. I personally believe we'll sneak into the tourney.

I think we are squarely in tier 3 of the conference.

I have:

Tier 1: MSU
Tier 2: Northwestern, Minnesota, Purdue
Tier 3: IU, Maryland, Iowa, Meat chicken, Wisconsin
Tier 4: Illinois, Penn State
Tier 5: Ohio State, Rutgers, Nebraska

Thanks being said, I think we can move up to tier 2. I think we're all going to be shocked at how big a difference Archie makes during a game. I also think our chemistry is going to be light years better this year than last. Sometimes it's nice not having a guy with one eye on his draft status.

IU should finish top three in conference. Hell TC would have them top 5. Be amazing watching a team that plays defense and values the ball for a change.

I believe we will lose in the round of 32. If you think IU will make steady improvement over the year, select that option along with how you think they'll finish.
DD will show dramatic improvement under CAM and JM will continue his improvement and make us forget about OG. The guards will find their touch and clamp down on defense to give us a very good back court. We should have good depth and this is going to be a very fun year. So excited for the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT