ADVERTISEMENT

How to put butts in seats

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
I'm rehabbing in a hospital bed a thousand miles away from Bloomington so I'm not going to the game either way. But I think I would be more inclined to buy a ticket if I knew who the quarterback was going to be. Or what kind of offense was going to be run. Or what the players look like. But then again the sports writers who supposedly follow Indiana don't really know anything either.

Illinois is going to be playing on television on Saturday. I'm wondering if the Hoosiers will even announce what helmet they're going to wear. This total lack of marketing it just makes me more nervous that the Hoosiers are going to lay another turd this season.

Nobody can accuse the Hoosiers of knowing how to market the football program

I'm rehabbing in a hospital bed a thousand miles away from Bloomington so I'm not going to the game either way. But I think I would be more inclined to buy a ticket if I knew who the quarterback was going to be. Or what kind of offense was going to be run. Or what the players look like. But then again the sports writers who supposedly follow Indiana don't really know anything either.

Illinois is going to be playing on television on Saturday. I'm wondering if the Hoosiers will even announce what helmet they're going to wear. This total lack of marketing it just makes me more nervous that the Hoosiers are going to lay another turd this season.

I totally agree,hope your rehab is going well.

just win baby

First, I wish you a quick and full recovery.

While it may matter to you, I doubt that ticket sales (at least not at this juncture) are impacted significantly, if at all, by who is the starting QB or what kind of an offense we're going to run. Why give Illinois any information that would help in their game prep?

The best marketing is winning. Beat the Illini and we'll have respectable crowds for Idaho and WKU. If we have a winning record going into the Michigan game, MS will be sold out.

Go Hoosiers!

I am all for a more open approach to the season but with the debacle of last year; I can see the reasons coach Allen and staff are taking this approach. Who knows, maybe the players meeting emphasized this approach.

82hoosier I wish you a speedy recovery.

It's only about putting out a competitive product and getting wins.

The students & the crowd in general at Homecoming last year more or less stayed for the whole game. I think that was probably a holdover from the 2020 success and having a good homecoming game even in the midst of a terrible year.

Win and they'll come. Consistently win & they'll stay. Contend for a B1G title once & a while and they'll get rowdy.

We're somewhere around the first step right now.

I don’t want to know all the details. I don’t care what helmet is chosen. I like the lack of information.
Why?

I prefer a team that keeps it all in-house. Them against the world. Blinders on to the outside noise. Keep focus. Last year was a bunch of promotion and hype and the program was too involved in participating in all of that and they got full of themselves. Shut that down before it becomes a distraction.

I wish you all the best.

With that being said, I don’t think too many people would be buying tickets based on the results of the great Tuttle/Bazelak debate. Also, not really seeing the correlation between marketing and how we do on the field. Why would that make you nervous?

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
I wish you all the best.

With that being said, I don’t think too many people would be buying tickets based on the results of the great Tuttle/Bazelak debate. Also, not really seeing the correlation between marketing and how we do on the field. Why would that make you nervous?
I do see his point that the AD should be marketing the season more than they are. It helps sell tickets. Does that help on the field? Can't hurt. There is plenty to promote....it is a new day in Btown.

I get an email from Purdue's AD almost every day trying to sell tickets and promoting everything from fund raising, to planned work on that dump of a stadium, to NIL. I get calls and letters from IU, but I don't see the mass email blasts I see from PU.

We have a great stadium, a new team, the best campus in the BIG and the best tailgating in the BIG. I would be promoting the hell out of this season.

I don’t want to know all the details. I don’t care what helmet is chosen. I like the lack of information.
Why?

I prefer a team that keeps it all in-house. Them against the world. Blinders on to the outside noise. Keep focus. Last year was a bunch of promotion and hype and the program was too involved in participating in all of that and they got full of themselves. Shut that down before it becomes a distraction.
Sure, but you are going anyway I assume.

Sure, but you are going anyway I assume.
Well, yes. I have season tickets as usual.
I’m not entirely sure a big ad campaign would help get the very casual fan or basketball-only bunch into the stands. Most will admit that they don’t like the game of football regardless.

i realize the makeup of this board is a much different and more affluent demographic than the general population of south central Indiana, and apparently either willfully ignorant to or uncaring of that reality, but getting more butts in seats isn't exactly rocket science.

IU has priced out over half the fans within easy driving distance of Btown.

i could greatly increase attendance just by trying and putting in some effort, and do so in a revenue neutral way at worst.

but then again, i could have also had the IU basketball program a conference and national contender as well for much of the last 2 decades, just by not being a total and complete incompetent moron.

If they really wanted bodies on the benches at MS, they'd have $15 tickets at the top 20 rows on the west side and in the corners for anyone. The current lowest price is $20 they might still make some money on concessions with lower ticket prices in certain areas. No, IU doesn't market or price to fill MS.

But, CTA's decision not to share anything and to keep the players and coaches focused on the games is most definitely the right decision. Last season too many players and coaches believed the preseason press and there was a lack of focus and some sense of entitlement or simply no seeing what was brewing in terms of lack of mental toughness and "grit" as CTA would say. Last season there just wasn't enough fire and a mission to succeed. Marketing doesn't fix that. But, maybe, focus and avoiding getting caught up in hype of any sort will give IU a better chance at a rebound year.

Minnesota had a great year in 2019 and believed they were great and stunk it up in 2020 but came back last year. Maybe that is the same trajectory for IU.

Tom Allen thinks there is a competitive advantage to keeping things under wraps this summer. While the marketing dept would like nothing more than to do whatever they can to drum up interest, I doubt anyone in that dept gets to tell Coach Allen what info needs to be given up to the public.
Allen is either trying to hide the explosive offense and stellar defense we have or trying to confuse the Illini so we can win a conference game this year. My bet is the latter. Good teams don't hide. It is juvenile to be honest.

My excitement level for the first game is gone, I am looking forward to our tailgate and section 9 friends, but my expectations are the lowest they have ever been. Thanks CTA. I don't even get to have my unrealistic false hope this year.

Reactions: Hoosiers Rising
Allen is either trying to hide the explosive offense and stellar defense we have or trying to confuse the Illini so we can win a conference game this year. My bet is the latter. Good teams don't hide. It is juvenile to be honest.

My excitement level for the first game is gone, I am looking forward to our tailgate and section 9 friends, but my expectations are the lowest they have ever been. Thanks CTA. I don't even get to have my unrealistic false hope this year.

Wow, your take from the lack of QB starter information, the type of offense IU is running and ditto for the defense is that CTA and IU is hiding and it is juvenile??

Now that is a STRETCH.

I remember going to watch the Colts early in year 2 of the Manning era. The Colts were 3-2 heading into a Bengals game and when I got to my seat, there wasn't anyone within 15 yards of me. The RCA dome really only had a lower section and an upper section and I was sitting midway up in the upper section (but corner of the end zone). The Colts went on to a 13-3 record and tickets suddenly were hard to even come by.

Indiana needs to set an expectation of winning and fans will eventually come. When the eyes of the nation are pointed at Bloomington (or any location), its natural for fans will want to be there. Everyone will elevate the priority and value of going to a game in comparison to things that they currently have as a higher priority today. Just win....

Reactions: grammy2 and 76-1

Wait until after sept 2 to decide if you want to give up.

Reactions: 76-1
I remember going to watch the Colts early in year 2 of the Manning era. The Colts were 3-2 heading into a Bengals game and when I got to my seat, there wasn't anyone within 15 yards of me. The RCA dome really only had a lower section and an upper section and I was sitting midway up in the upper section (but corner of the end zone). The Colts went on to a 13-3 record and tickets suddenly were hard to even come by.

Indiana needs to set an expectation of winning and fans will eventually come. When the eyes of the nation are pointed at Bloomington (or any location), its natural for fans will want to be there. Everyone will elevate the priority and value of going to a game in comparison to things that they currently have as a higher priority today. Just win....
Last year there was an expectation of winning and the attendance was very good through I think the MSU game (RBB could answer that). Once it was obvious that the team was not going to do anything close to 2020, the attendance fell off.

Purdue has an expectation of winning after last season's sucess and the very generous schedule they have this year. That armpit of a stadium will not be sold out, but be pretty full right up until the point they do poorly and then their attendance will fall back off.

The formula is easy. Win and more people come. Lose and less people come.

Damn, Bud, that's not like you. You sound beat down. Reminds me how I felt about basketball in Miller's last two years.

Wow, your take from the lack of QB starter information, the type of offense IU is running and ditto for the defense is that CTA and IU is hiding and it is juvenile??

Now that is a STRETCH.
CTA is either going to look like a genius or a kook for keeping us and our competition in the dark. I was looking forward to a Spring game. Were we not ready or far behind where we needed to be to show the public? Again, it doesn't project confidence.

I have always over estimated our fortunes. I simply won't do that this year. We will find out September 2. I'll either be excited or accept the weeks of travel and our long trip to Cincinnati will be less than enjoyable. I'm not a bandwagon fan. I drove up and stood with my son outside Memorial Stadium in 2020 to watch the win over PSU on the screen inside the stadium. We were one of a handful of people to witness both wins last year. We felt the win at WKU was fortunate as we had largely been outplayed. We talked about our prospects for more wins on the long early morning drive home after the game. The staff isn't doing anything to change my outlook. Sorry to be negative, but at least our pregame will be fun as usual and spending the day with my son is always a good thing.

CTA is either going to look like a genius or a kook for keeping us and our competition in the dark. I was looking forward to a Spring game. Were we not ready or far behind where we needed to be to show the public? Again, it doesn't project confidence.

I have always over estimated our fortunes. I simply won't do that this year. We will find out September 2. I'll either be excited or accept the weeks of travel and our long trip to Cincinnati will be less than enjoyable. I'm not a bandwagon fan. I drove up and stood with my son outside Memorial Stadium in 2020 to watch the win over PSU on the screen inside the stadium. We were one of a handful of people to witness both wins last year. We felt the win at WKU was fortunate as we had largely been outplayed. We talked about our prospects for more wins on the long early morning drive home after the game. The staff isn't doing anything to change my outlook. Sorry to be negative, but at least our pregame will be fun as usual and spending the day with my son is always a good thing.
I doubt we gain any advantage from not announcing who the starter is. Highly unlikely anybody on the Illinois staff is impacted. They’ll look at tape of both anyway.

Unbelieveable. So forcing Illinois to split their QB prep focus by 50% isn't meaningful for at least the 1st half isn't even a small advantage for Bell & Co? Preposterous. Anything, anything the opponent isn't assured of is desirable for IU.

Reactions: jsenleo and 76-1
Unbelieveable. So forcing Illinois to split their QB prep focus by 50% isn't meaningful for at least the 1st half isn't even a small advantage for Bell & Co? Preposterous. Anything, anything the opponent isn't assured of is desirable for IU.
No, it’s really not an advantage. The OC and the offense are new, so the scouting is going to focus on Bell’s time at UMass, Maryland, and his other stops. That’s how teams prepare.

Lots of people drank the Kool Aid last year. The StubHub prices for the Cincy game were ridiculous good for a Memorial Stadium game. Everyone is going to be tentative after last year. Beat Illinois and life will be infused at least temporarily

Don’t see much value at all for the
Illini in terms of preparation, since the real issue is our new OC and the offense he brought with him.
Nonetheless, we’ll take any advantage we can get, won’t we?
Great to kick off the season today and looking forward to a victory Friday night. Go Hoosiers.

I suspect that the trip to Cincy will be a good one. Hang in there

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT