ADVERTISEMENT

How others live.

CO. Hoosier

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2001
Here is an interesting piece about Walden Colorado. I am pretty familiar with the history of Walden for the last 40 years or so. In the 80’s Walden was an economically sustainable little town whose economy rested on mining, timbering, cattle, hay production. hunting and fishing and tourism. Due to various economic and government regulatory forces, mining and timbering are gone. The Union Pacific pullEd train service. All that is left is cattle, hay, and folks like me who recreate in the area. With mounting pressure and costs on the cattle business from all quarters, that business is now run mostly by wealthy individuals who hire locals to do the management and work. But with urban elites clamoring to prohibit grazing on public lands, and expanding regulations on small streams cattle use for water, and general pressure on livestock, that industry is teetering. You can still buy hardware, dollar store stuff, women can get their hair fixed, and you can get beer and a good cheeseburger in Walden.

But what will kill Walden quicker than anything is a $15 minimum wage. No more retail of any kind. Walden, and thousands of places like it throughout America would die. This is why I strongly believe in the concept of regional representation in government. The one-man-one -vote ruling took away the rural vote in state government. That mistake shows in Colorado and I’d suspect elsewhere. We need things like the electoral college and the
senate to keep some voice for regional interests. Concentrating all political power in the urban centers would be a disaster. Those who advocate for a $15 minimum wage in Walden, or for a prohibition of grazing on federal land have no clue.

Here is an interesting piece about Walden Colorado. I am pretty familiar with the history of Walden for the last 40 years or so. In the 80’s Walden was an economically sustainable little town whose economy rested on mining, timbering, cattle, hay production. hunting and fishing and tourism. Due to various economic and government regulatory forces, mining and timbering are gone. The Union Pacific pullEd train service. All that is left is cattle, hay, and folks like me who recreate in the area. With mounting pressure and costs on the cattle business from all quarters, that business is now run mostly by wealthy individuals who hire locals to do the management and work. But with urban elites clamoring to prohibit grazing on public lands, and expanding regulations on small streams cattle use for water, and general pressure on livestock, that industry is teetering. You can still buy hardware, dollar store stuff, women can get their hair fixed, and you can get beer and a good cheeseburger in Walden.

But what will kill Walden quicker than anything is a $15 minimum wage. No more retail of any kind. Walden, and thousands of places like it throughout America would die. This is why I strongly believe in the concept of regional representation in government. The one-man-one -vote ruling took away the rural vote in state government. That mistake shows in Colorado and I’d suspect elsewhere. We need things like the electoral college and the
senate to keep some voice for regional interests. Concentrating all political power in the urban centers would be a disaster. Those who advocate for a $15 minimum wage in Walden, or for a prohibition of grazing on federal land have no clue.
Well said. I agree. Sometimes government has good intentions but they didn't think of the unintended consequences. If they pass this minimum wage then they will feel better about themselves but they will do much harm. This reminds me of a great 10 min video by Dr. Thomas Sowell. I've been a fan of his for years. After listening to this issue of slavery from a historical perspective I am thankful that I was not born a slave because it isn't about race historically speaking.

This was an interesting read about Walden too..

Great article, thanks for linking it. I’m pretty familiar with Jim Moore’s story. He invested a lot in the River Rock and Antlers, I can’t imagine it paying off. When he bought the Moose Creek cafe people were wondering why. Moose creek is kinda a road house and a destination for motorcyclists from the Front Range. His house is quite a story. Some of it is wasting away so I hear.

If you like these kinds of stories, you’d love the book MIles From Nowhere.

Great article, thanks for linking it. I’m pretty familiar with Jim Moore’s story. He invested a lot in the River Rock and Antlers, I can’t imagine it paying off. When he bought the Moose Creek cafe people were wondering why. Moose creek is kinda a road house and a destination for motorcyclists from the Front Range. His house is quite a story. Some of it is wasting away so I hear.

If you like these kinds of stories, you’d love the book MIles From Nowhere.
Thanks, I’ll check out your book recommendation and share it with my wife too. I linked this Tread documentary months ago about a chaotic day in Granby but I thought I’d share it again - linked below.

We are making our way back to Colorado soon for the long-term. I miss it every day and we want to raise our kid there. Had an interview with CU this morning after a long night with a fussy baby. Anyway, here’s the link…

if the worker bees in Walden made $15 hr, perhaps the town would have a far bigger economic base in an economy that's consumer driven, and by far the most numerous consumers are the worker bees.

if a town dies because the limited employers that paid $15 hr move away or cease, then perhaps said town might have been far more resilient had there been far more employers who paid a living wage.

that said, we're talking about a town with a population of 608 in 2010, after peaking out at 947 over 40 yrs ago in 1980, so just how many jobs are we actually talking about?

is 947 people 41 yrs ago your idea of a thriving economic metropolis that somehow was destroyed by $7.25 hr extravagant wages.

and Zillow tells me there are only 2 houses in the town for sale, one for $168,000 and the other for $237,500, nothing for rent at all, so exactly where are people making $7.25 hr supposed to live.

the loft in the barn perhaps?

perhaps the hundred people who will gain from a $15 hr min wage for the every five who won't, is worth the tradeoff.

ya think?????

nice try though.

why don't you tell us again about the wonders of trickle down economics, while you're doing your make believe world thing..

Last edited:
In the late 60s, the federal minimum wage was about $12/hr... in inflation adjusted dollars.

Traveling over the holiday, I saw signs at gas stations in middle of nowhere in north/central Indiana with signs up for jobs starting at $15/hr.

I don't know why you think a story about being unable to attract a pharmacy business to rural town has anything to do with the federal minimum wage.

In the late 60s, the federal minimum wage was about $12/hr... in inflation adjusted dollars.

Traveling over the holiday, I saw signs at gas stations in middle of nowhere in north/central Indiana with signs up for jobs starting at $15/hr.

I don't know why you think a story about being unable to attract a pharmacy business to rural town has anything to do with the federal minimum wage.
The post is not about pharmacies, or minimum wage per se.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT