ADVERTISEMENT

How Mullen is being used this year and the Charlton Warren led defense

jlasson

Freshman
Jun 24, 2021
I still think it's too early to tell, but I feel like Mullen was more impactful in the way he was used last year. He rarely blitzes and he is one of the best athletes on the team, part of what made the Hoosiers defense fun to watch last year was all of the unique blitz packages they would bring. I don't think he is playing any worse this year, but he is definitely playing a more traditional CB role than he did last year, he's been beaten twice for TD's, but both of them were outstanding plays by guys that had at least 4 inches on Mullen, so they don't worry me too much.

I just feel like sometimes you don't even realize he's out there, not that it's a bad thing, if he is mostly just dropping back into coverage it means he isn't being targeted, but I feel like he is so effective because of his versatility. I think with the defensive line being a significant upgrade from a year ago it makes sense that our blitz packages are a little bit more conventional this season, but I would like to see Mullen blitz every once in a while.

I am not in support of, or against the way Mullen is being used in our defense, or really any of the changes made by Charlton Warren as of right now. We haven't really had a good game to judge, against Iowa the Hawkeyes offense stopped trying after the two pick 6's, but only put up 20 against our defense, 14 against Idaho isn't great, but I feel like that was more just the defense stopped trying than anything else. Cincy is similar to Iowa, the defense only gave up 24 conventional points against Cincy(7 after the pick to set up Cincy at the 10 yard line and the kick return TD), which is pretty good, but they only have one pick through three games. Part of the reason for those picks(apart from great coverage and awareness by our secondary last year) was the fact that the QB wouldn't know what he blitz he was seeing, panic and launch the ball to blanketed receiver.

I believe Warren's defense can be just as effective as Wommack's, I do think that for Warren's defense to be effective we are going to need to keep giving him talented players because if we used his schemes with the 2020 defensive line, that defense would've been really mediocre, not nearly as many TO's as last year fs, heck when we were forced put in a mediocre to bad MLB versus an All American, the defense fell apart, just one player albeit an important one and we collapsed. It makes me question the sustainability of this defense once injuries start piling up.

What do you guys think of the new look for IU's defense under Warren?

Reactions: vesuvius13
I think our defense has been good this year. The only real criticism is the lack of running last year's zone coverage so DBs could fly to the ball on passes. Mix in some stunts by corners and it is a very dangerous defense as right now it is a very good defense.

Regarding the MLB position, Allen needs to build depth at that position. I thought Miller showed promise last year, not really sure why he didn't fill in for Micah on Saturday.

Allen has my full support, he's done a fine job at Indiana. That said, I do question his decision to play his son over Miller and Bonhamme. Just makes very little sense from my seat.

Regarding the MLB position, Allen needs to build depth at that position. I thought Miller showed promise last year, not really sure why he didn't fill in for Micah on Saturday.

Allen has my full support, he's done a fine job at Indiana. That said, I do question his decision to play his son over Miller and Bonhamme. Just makes very little sense from my seat.

D.K. is a Bull, not a middle linebacker. He doesn't play the same position as Micah.

And I'm pretty sure Warren rotates the linebackers in and out. Sure, CTA can override who plays, but Warren would rotate the kids in and out during the game, so the blame should go on Warren, being the position coach.

Reactions: UncleMark
D.K. is a Bull, not a middle linebacker. He doesn't play the same position as Micah.

And I'm pretty sure Warren rotates the linebackers in and out. Sure, CTA can override who plays, but Warren would rotate the kids in and out during the game, so the blame should go on Warren, being the position coach.
I agree, Allen was the best option considering the role he had to play. Whoever came in had to fill Micah's shoes, meaning they had to quarterback the defense, I think that made Allen the best option even though there are certainly more athletic and talented LB's behind him.

Reactions: Baller23Boogie

The depth at MLB is a concern hence people wonder about DK moving from deep in the bull rotation to MLB. He is too talented to be sitting on the bench full time and could be an athletic MLB.

The depth at MLB is a concern hence people wonder about DK moving from deep in the bull rotation to MLB. He is too talented to be sitting on the bench full time and could be an athletic MLB.

That's fine, but this isn't a video game where you just put a kid in there when he hasn't practiced the scheme while other kids have.

Moving forwarding, if he gets reps there, fine, but you can't just put a kid there who isn't use to playing the position because it will throw the whole defense off. He won't know the reads, drops, blitz, ect. Make a case for Miller and Casey, fine, I'm with you all the way. D.K. though isn't playing the same position.

Last edited:
Reactions: UncleMark
ADVERTISEMENT