ADVERTISEMENT

How much longer do we have to put up with

Iu1712

Recruit
Jul 14, 2017
A coach that are starting to losses recruiting battle after battle and cannot teach offense save his life

Reactions: Lucy01
At least through Year 5. We won’t look this bad every game, but the weaknesses on this team aren’t radically different than they’ve been over the last 3 seasons. We’re thin up front and marginally talented on the perimeter, with no consistent outside scoring threat and no regular ability to aggressively go the basket and get to the line. TJD is a talented kid, but he’s a ‘tweeter position-wise who struggles against bigger players and whose scoring range is limited. And he’s our best player by a good stretch.

Thompson may be our second most valuable player, but he’s not a go-to scoring option. And no one on the perimeter scares our opponent. The high ball screen offense isn’t working, and we struggle to find a flow with anything else. Simply put, we’re not all that difficult to defend. Unfortunately, we still go for long stretches without hitting field goals, putting more and more pressure on our D to hold serve and carry us through droughts. If we get to the line, we have trouble converting.

Defensively, we compete, but we don’t convert stops into points on the other end nearly enough so, while it keeps us in games for awhile, it’s not enough to compensate for our woeful output on the other end. It’s not that we’re bad here, it’s just that we’re not good enough to compensate for the offensive offense. And when things start to slide, you can see the life begin to come out of kids. Missed shots, turnovers, a defensive breakdown, and then a four point deficit becomes 10 or 12 quickly, and we can’t “offense” our way out of it.

Texas is a solid club, but we’ll see plenty of good teams in the Big 10. It will be a long year unless the level of play picks up considerably.

Well TJD will be back.
And any talk of Archie going ..Is just talk.
Indiana University has zero intentions of paying off a coach. When they've had to eat a bunch of cash this year.
Covid has seen to that..

I don't have all the technical basketball knowledge that most posters on here have. But this team exhibits no leadership, no shooting ability and no passion. The team reminds me of a group of anonymous CNN broadcasters, led by Wolf Blitzer. So sad.

Well TJD will be back.
And any talk of Archie going ..Is just talk.
Indiana University has zero intentions of paying off a coach. When they've had to eat a bunch of cash this year.
Covid has seen to that..

I fear you’re correct. We’re probably stuck with him through the end of his contract.

A coach that are starting to losses recruiting battle after battle and cannot teach offense save his life

If this year goes poorly, this will be it. The money is there for a buyout.

I trust that the BOT won't hamper a change as they did the first time Glass tried to move on Crean.

Let's all just hope that the team has a good season and we don't have to worry about a change.

I don't have all the technical basketball knowledge that most posters on here have. But this team exhibits no leadership, no shooting ability and no passion. The team reminds me of a group of anonymous CNN broadcasters, led by Wolf Blitzer. So sad.
dumb ....

Reactions: YOTHN
I fear you’re correct. We’re probably stuck with him through the end of his contract.
Probably so. The Trustees stepped in once, but I doubt they do it again any time soon. There’s no great outcry anyway. More and more people have become accustomed to this kind of result. At the very least, he’ll be here through the end of next season, but probably beyond that, regardless of the results.

What? You should be banned for being a tool.

He could leave on his own.

He won't.

In the unlikely event of a water landing the money is available to Scott for a buyout if necessary and I certainly hope he wouldn't meet the same resistance Glass did when he first tried to move on Crean.

Let's ignore the trolls all just hope the season goes well and there is no need to find out.

And Anderson Pooper

Reactions: Lucy01
This season should be pretty easy on Archie. He’ll finish in the 8-11 spot in the conference, about his ceiling, and have no fans to pressure him from the stands. They will go through the usual motions and show flashes at times but be completely overmatched by conference play. Multiple sweeps by opponents. About the same as we’ve seen. If somebody sees us on a different trajectory than the pattern the first 3 years, would be interesting to hear what is different?

I kind of like this analogy. Which guy on our crew is Wolfie?

Who are the top five juniors and seniors who you feel did measure up to expectations today?

This season should be pretty easy on Archie. He’ll finish in the 8-11 spot in the conference, about his ceiling, and have no fans to pressure him from the stands. They will go through the usual motions and show flashes at times but be completely overmatched by conference play. Multiple sweeps by opponents. About the same as we’ve seen. If somebody sees us on a different trajectory than the pattern the first 3 years, would be interesting to hear what is different?

I desperately want to disagree with you, but after the first two games, it certainly looks like what you say is accurate. I think the only thing that could change the trajectory is if we start making open shots and that just hasn't happened in the longest time. Sad, sad, sad.

There will be serious trouble if Archie can't mold a decent season this year. Because next year doesn't look so good unless TJD is back.
Either TJD steps up his game big time (which is good for us immediately) or he's not going to show on any mock draft boards and will be back. His stock has probably dropped in the past 48 hrs alone.

Archie isn't leaving voluntarily unless another school offers him comparable money. No one would pay him anywhere near what we're paying him now. He's here through at least year 5.

and walk away from a mountain of guaranteed money? I realize the TX game sucked but I think we may be overreacting...let's get to early February before we start looking for the parachutes.
Totally agree. I said so yesterday and one poster laughed, strongly suggesting that Miller could and would walk away. As you said, it ain’t happening.

Archie isn't leaving voluntarily unless another school offers him comparable money. No one would pay him anywhere near what we're paying him now. He's here through at least year 5.
Exactly. It’s life changing money for him that he’ll not get elsewhere, and there’s no great outcry for IU to nudge him along.

and walk away from a mountain of guaranteed money? I realize the TX game sucked but I think we may be overreacting...let's get to early February before we start looking for the parachutes.

I generally agree with this. We played one bad game, very early in the season, when we're relying on significant contributions from young players. And this all needs to be kept in perspective. I didn't have a very visceral reaction to it...because, frankly (and sadly), I've come to expect pretty much what we saw.

However, the problem I have is that the goalposts not only seem to move when the time comes, but we aren't even given the courtesy of an explanation of where those goalposts are supposed to be.....which, of course, makes it easier to move them. We've gone from talking about deep tournament runs and B10 championships to simply making the field of 64 and finishing in the top half of the league. It doesn't so much matter how high the bar is set, as long as we clear it. And, if we don't, we can just adjust as needed.

And anybody who questions this is condemned as a troll, forbidden to use the term "we" in reference to the program, accused of wanting to lose, etc.

Reactions: Falky22 and BigMobe

- True
- True
- Probably true. But, if so, I hope it's because the results improve so swiftly and dramatically as to warrant keeping him and not because the cost to move on is untenable.

I generally agree with this. We played one bad game, very early in the season, when we're relying on significant contributions from young players. And this all needs to be kept in perspective. I didn't have a very visceral reaction to it...because, frankly (and sadly), I've come to expect pretty much what we saw.

However, the problem I have is that the goalposts not only seem to move when the time comes, but we aren't even given the courtesy of an explanation of where those goalposts are supposed to be.....which, of course, makes it easier to move them. We've gone from talking about deep tournament runs and B10 championships to simply making the field of 64 and finishing in the top half of the league. It doesn't so much matter how high the bar is set, as long as we clear it. And, if we don't, we can just adjust as needed.

And anybody who questions this is condemned as a troll, forbidden to use the term "we" in reference to the program, accused of wanting to lose, etc.
cannot argue with any of that. And yes, I too have that same feeling.....becoming almost numb to what I was watching yesterday. And I, too, have an uneasy feeling about how this season will play out...and even more so, next year. I haven't heard about Durham's ankle yet but I think the team is really going to struggle without him on the court. He's the only one who looks capable of hitting an occasional 3, and one of the few who doesn't seem to be sleepwalking on the court right now.

And yes, I too have that same feeling.....becoming almost numb to what I was watching yesterday.

I mean, what other choice do we have? The prevailing view is that things are headed in the right direction, time is needed, not enough time has yet been given, changing coaches too soon will make it that much harder to hire a good one, more success is just around the corner, etc. etc.

For those of us who think that's a bunch of happy talk disjointed from reality, all we can really do is grin, bear it, and hope the happy talkers are right.

And I, too, have an uneasy feeling about how this season will play out...and even more so, next year.

As for this year, there isn't any reason we shouldn't be improved from last season. Hopefully the Texas s**tshow will prove to be an anomaly or early season rust or youth. We've got a lot of games to go. But it didn't look good.

Obviously, next year seems like a bigger problem at this point, having swung and missed on key recruiting targets. But one year at a time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT