ADVERTISEMENT

How many national anthems do we want?

Americans are weird on this point. Most countries only play patriotic songs for international matches. It wouldn't be the end of the world if we actually followed that example.

Just like it wouldn't be the end of the world if we made all baseball games only seven innings long.

(Yes, that's off-topic, but I felt like throwing some shit in the fire.)
Baseball games gotta be nine innings.

I am fine to quit playing anthem but if it’s played I think we should stand and show respect. I always stand, take hat off and hand on heart. Always made sure my son did same thing. I can’t sing a lick so I keep mouth shut.

Reactions: outside shooter
I am not a Democrat and I am not a fan of kneeling. I am not a fan of demonizing kneelers either, though. I accept their word as to why they have done it.

The chick who wants to represent our country in the Olympics and turn her back to the flag... well, I hope she face plants in her event and finishes last.

The only sporting event that should ever have the national anthem (which I love) played and the flag (which I love) displayed are those involving a national team in international competition, or events played on July 4th.
I disagree. We should honor the country and those who serve or have served us every chance we can.

Reactions: Lucy01
The NFL will play a Black version before its games. They haven’t said whether they will play the white supremacy version Frances Scott Key wrote from Baltimore Harbor as the Brits we’re trying to shell Ft McHenry into oblivion.

I think the NFL should also play an Old Farts Anthem. My suggestion.

I am sure Key had it in his mind when he wrote it, "I can't stand black people. In fact they are not really people". This extra anthem is nothing more than a ploy to divide the country politically. We are all one nation under God no matter what color we are. We didn't get that right at first but we had a Civil War to decide the issue once and for all. What we need is to unite around our Constitution. It recognizes the rights all human beings have under God.

Reactions: Lucy01
I usually lip-sync.
I am afraid my lip-syncing might screw up the song. Never forget 7th grade year in school. The music teacher called every student to piano to sing few notes. After she would point to general music or chorus class. I think I barely uttered a note and she pointed to general music. LOL.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
I am sure Key had it in his mind when he wrote it, "I can't stand black people. In fact they are not really people". This extra anthem is nothing more than a ploy to divide the country politically. We are all one nation under God no matter what color we are. We didn't get that right at first but we had a Civil War to decide the issue once and for all. What we need is to unite around our Constitution. It recognizes the rights all human beings have under God.
Do you ever do any historical research prior to posting, or even considering an issue...

"I am sure Key had it in his mind when he wrote it, "I can't stand black people. In fact, they are not really people".

Do you know ANYTHING about Key? As an attorney, Key was notorious for representing slaveholders in court as they sought to reclaim their (escaped) property. He prosecuted abolitionists and forced anti-slavery newspaper publishers like Ben Lundy and his assistant William Lloyd Garrison (ever heard of him?) to flee Wash DC.

In a trial that attracted national attention, he prosecuted a Doctor from NYC that arrived in DC with a trunk full of anti-slavery material. You were being facetious when you claimed he felt that Black people "are not really people". But the truth is he placed the property rights of slave owners above the human rights of slaves... From an account of that trial...

"In the courtroom, Key emotionally denounced the abolitionists who wanted to free all enslaved people.

They “declare that every law which sanctions slavery is null and void and that obedience to it is a sin,” Key declaimed. “That we have no more rights over our slaves than they have over us. Does not this bring the Constitution and the laws under which we live into contempt? Is it not a plain invitation to resist them."

Did you notice his use of specifically inclusive terms like "we", "our slaves" and"us"?
Can you see how Black people might have a different view of Key beyond just your point of reference to him as the "composer" of the SSB? When Key writes of the "Home of the Free", he's not considering ALL Americans...

And then there is the infamous 3rd verse, with its reference to "hireling and the slave". Another fun fact you likely don't know, the British welcomed escaped US slaves and had a special military force of US and other former slaves known as Colonial Marines. There was a detachment of Colonial Marines among the British forces that occupied DC and burned the WH during the War of 1812, and a lot of Historians believe THAT is what Key is referring to with the "hireling and the slave".

It's also noteworthy that a famous pro-slavery poem in 1855 entitled "the hireling and the slave", celebrated the benevolence of slavery (a blessing for Africans) and also introduced the term "master race". For these and other reasons many folks in the North (led by Oliver Wendel Holmes) felt that before the SSB could be adopted as a Union Standard it needed a new stanza rejecting Key's overt racism...

"Tellingly, Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr. felt that if the song were to belong to the North, it would need a new stanza — one he provided, invoking “the millions unchained who our birthright have gained.” By contrast, supporters in the South did not believe it required any changes. “Let us never surrender to the North the noble song, the ‘Star-Spangled Banner,’” the Richmond Examiner editorialized in 1861 in the capital of the Confederacy. “It is Southern in origin, in sentiments, in poetry, and song. In its association with chivalrous deeds, it is ours.”

The resulting CULTURE WAR between the post war North and South over whether or not to include Holmes's stanza, makes the current battle over CRT look like nothing more than a mild disagreement...

Last edited:
Do you ever do any historical research prior to posting, or even considering an issue...

"I am sure Key had it in his mind when he wrote it, "I can't stand black people. In fact, they are not really people".

Do you know ANYTHING about Key? As an attorney, Key was notorious for representing slaveholders in court as they sought to reclaim their (escaped) property. He prosecuted abolitionists and forced anti-slavery newspaper publishers like Ben Lundy and his assistant William Lloyd Garrison (ever heard of him?) to flee Wash DC.

In a trial that attracted national attention, he prosecuted a Doctor from NYC that arrived in DC with a trunk full of anti-slavery material. You were being facetious when you claimed he felt that Black people "are not really people". But the truth is he placed the property rights of slave owners above the human rights of slaves... From an account of that trial...

"In the courtroom, Key emotionally denounced the abolitionists who wanted to free all enslaved people.

They “declare that every law which sanctions slavery is null and void and that obedience to it is a sin,” Key declaimed. “That we have no more rights over our slaves than they have over us. Does not this bring the Constitution and the laws under which we live into contempt? Is it not a plain invitation to resist them."

Did you notice his use of specifically inclusive terms like "we", "our slaves" and"us"?
Can you see how Black people might have a different view of Key beyond just your point of reference to him as the "composer" of the SSB? When Key writes of the "Home of the Free", he's not considering ALL Americans...

And then there is the infamous 3rd verse, with its reference to "hireling and the slave". Another fun fact you likely don't know, the British welcomed escaped US slaves and had a special military force of US and other former slaves known as Colonial Marines. There was a detachment of Colonial Marines among the British forces that occupied DC and burned the WH during the War of 1812, and a lot of Historians believe THAT is what Key is referring to with the "hireling and the slave".

It's also noteworthy that a famous pro-slavery poem in 1855 entitled "the hireling and the slave", celebrated the benevolence of slavery (a blessing for Africans) and also introduced the term "master race". For these and other reasons many folks in the North (led by Oliver Wendel Holmes) felt that before the SSB could be adopted as a Union Standard it needed a new stanza rejecting Key's overt racism...

"Tellingly, Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr. felt that if the song were to belong to the North, it would need a new stanza — one he provided, invoking “the millions unchained who our birthright have gained.” By contrast, supporters in the South did not believe it required any changes. “Let us never surrender to the North the noble song, the ‘Star-Spangled Banner,’” the Richmond Examiner editorialized in 1861 in the capital of the Confederacy. “It is Southern in origin, in sentiments, in poetry, and song. In its association with chivalrous deeds, it is ours.”

The resulting CULTURE WAR between the post war North and South over whether or not to include Holmes's stanza, makes the current battle over CRT look like nothing more than a mild disagreement...
Why did Scott free seven slaves? I got this line from Wiki
Key also represented several slaves seeking their freedom, as well as several slave-owners seeking return of their runaway slaves.[7][31] Key was one of the executors of John Randolph of Roanoke's will, which freed his 400 slaves, and Key fought to enforce the will for the next decade and to provide the freed slaves with land to support themselves.[32]
It is very true that Key owned slaves. Washington owned Slaves, and so did Jefferson. I believe these men freed their slaves too. Now my question is how exactly is the poem Key wrote racist in nature? It was not. I don't believe he wrote it with racism on his mind. There are always two sides to the story and I think you have to look at all evidence. I think being a lawyer in that day had to be hard. It also had to be hard to farm when you are farming against competition who has slaves. There has to be a reason why people who owned slaves freed them later. The system of slavery gave the slave holder an advantage. It is why China is doing very well today. They choose what they pay their people, and they choose where they will work.

We did on the fourth. We sang it and I actually lead in the singing of it. I can carry a tune.
That is great , I just think we dont need it at every sporting event. It just brings out a reason for unneeded discourse . Just gives liberal ingrates a platform so why even do it?

Why did Scott free seven slaves? I got this line from Wiki
Key also represented several slaves seeking their freedom, as well as several slave-owners seeking return of their runaway slaves.[7][31] Key was one of the executors of John Randolph of Roanoke's will, which freed his 400 slaves, and Key fought to enforce the will for the next decade and to provide the freed slaves with land to support themselves.[32]
It is very true that Key owned slaves. Washington owned Slaves, and so did Jefferson. I believe these men freed their slaves too. Now my question is how exactly is the poem Key wrote racist in nature? It was not. I don't believe he wrote it with racism on his mind. There are always two sides to the story and I think you have to look at all evidence. I think being a lawyer in that day had to be hard. It also had to be hard to farm when you are farming against competition who has slaves. There has to be a reason why people who owned slaves freed them later. The system of slavery gave the slave holder an advantage. It is why China is doing very well today. They choose what they pay their people, and they choose where they will work.
Key (not Scott-that's his middle name) was a conflicted man. I was just pointing out why the controversy over his song exists, and why it's been controversial ever since it was actually adopted as the "National Anthem". Most people in the North (like PA, where you live) actually preferred the Battle Hymn of the Republic. And in PA, as well as Indiana, the verses of the song listed in school books included the Holmes' stanza, while in the South they didn't...

Your dismissal of the controversy just struck me as so cavalier. Black people have a right to feel insulted and excluded from the "Free" that Key mentions in the song.

As to the "poem" if you're talking about the 1855 poem "The Hireling and the Slave" it wasn't written by Key. Key died in 1843. It's basically a defense of SLAVERY, written by William Grayson and he titled it after Key's use of the term "Hireling and the Slave" in verse 3 of the SSB. Here is that stanza...

"And where is that band who so vauntingly swore,
That the havoc of war and the battle’s confusion
A home and a Country should leave us no more?
Their blood has wash’d out their foul footstep’s pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,

And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave."

Again he's talking about the Colonial Marines, which were made up of escaped American slaves. Why in the world would he "celebrate" American slaves being killed? There was no need to even write the 3rd stanza. If he hadn't there would be no controversy...

This is why it took 100 yrs for the SSB to be designated the National Anthem. That didn't happen until 1931, and it was in the midst of the same Jim Crow era that gave us the whole "Lost Cause" BS and led to statues honoring Confederate Generals and revising history to where they were no longer TRAITORS, but "Heros" who fought not for slavery but for the "honor" of the Confederacy...

Grayson wrote his poem in 1855, in response to increased outcries to end slavery. He basically said the (Africans) had been saved by slavery and were better off. He also defended slavery as morally right and "presented a white supremacist vision of race slavery as a necessary institution to support civilized society in the American South."

Again he used Key's terminology of "The Hireling and the Slave" as the title of his work which enthusiastically DEFENDED slavery...

ADVERTISEMENT