ADVERTISEMENT

How I would run the rotations.

fkfootball

All-American
Apr 28, 2014
I know you guys get tired of my negativity. So I figured I’d share some basketball analysis for a change. Nothing earth shattering.

Starting Lineup

Rob Phinisee-He’s the starting PG, because let’s face it, he’s the best ball handler and point man on the team. When he’s good. We are good.

Al Durham-He’s the 2 man because he’s capable of playing defense and is our best FT shooter. He’s at his best when he plays as a catch and shoot guy.

Armaan Franklin-IMO, he’s the most complete player on the team. Definitely our wing. He can score at all 3 levels and he’s a really good defender and rebounder. Probably a year away from being our “BEST” player. Depending on TJD.

Jerome Hunter-I like him as the starting 4 man. He’s our weakest link on D, but more playing time will help. I like his ability to space because it’s opens up the lane more for TJD. Makes us more versatile early in the halves.

TJD-Pretty obvious. He’s the other Forward up front. Our most consistent scorer. Our best rebounder. Our best shot blocker. And the de facto leader of the team.

Bench Rotation

Trey Galloway-He’s better coming off the bench and he can replace anyone in the lineup early on. He’s the Swiss Army Knife. Would like to see him become similar to Kyle Young at OSU. He’s not as tall, but could be that kind of player.

Race Thompson-We only have 2 post players healthy. We need 1 on the bench to preserve foul trouble early on. Race or TJD have to be on the court at all times. Replacing each other makes that possible.

Anthony Leal-He has the makings of a good 3 and D player. I like him being the primary shooter on that 2nd unit.

Jordan Geronimo-He’s the best athlete and specimen on our team. Gives us another Forward to play in the paint. I like him more as a F than I do as a G. Don’t think he has G skills.

Reserve

Kristian Lander-We can squeeze him in, but he’s a developmental guy. Foul trouble will dictate his minutes. He’ll have his chance as a starter down the road.

Injured/Other Reserve

Joey Brunk-Pretty simple with him. If and when he’s ready to go, he takes up a lot of minutes, if not a starting position.

Parker Stewart-Same. Maybe not a starter if he does play, but he will play 15-20 mins a game. Just too good of an offensive player not to.

Its probably going to be Race over Hunter for defensive purposes especially if we need a big in there. Anybody not ready to play I would like to see a quick hook with more minutes for Leal and Geronimo. Hunter has been decent in spurts but we need him to step up and hit some shots. Ive been disappointed in Durhams outside shooting lately but he has been solid on the defensive end.

I know you guys get tired of my negativity. So I figured I’d share some basketball analysis for a change. Nothing earth shattering.

Starting Lineup

Rob Phinisee-He’s the starting PG, because let’s face it, he’s the best ball handler and point man on the team. When he’s good. We are good.

Al Durham-He’s the 2 man because he’s capable of playing defense and is our best FT shooter. He’s at his best when he plays as a catch and shoot guy.

Armaan Franklin-IMO, he’s the most complete player on the team. Definitely our wing. He can score at all 3 levels and he’s a really good defender and rebounder. Probably a year away from being our “BEST” player. Depending on TJD.

Jerome Hunter-I like him as the starting 4 man. He’s our weakest link on D, but more playing time will help. I like his ability to space because it’s opens up the lane more for TJD. Makes us more versatile early in the halves.

TJD-Pretty obvious. He’s the other Forward up front. Our most consistent scorer. Our best rebounder. Our best shot blocker. And the de facto leader of the team.

Bench Rotation

Trey Galloway-He’s better coming off the bench and he can replace anyone in the lineup early on. He’s the Swiss Army Knife. Would like to see him become similar to Kyle Young at OSU. He’s not as tall, but could be that kind of player.

Race Thompson-We only have 2 post players healthy. We need 1 on the bench to preserve foul trouble early on. Race or TJD have to be on the court at all times. Replacing each other makes that possible.

Anthony Leal-He has the makings of a good 3 and D player. I like him being the primary shooter on that 2nd unit.

Jordan Geronimo-He’s the best athlete and specimen on our team. Gives us another Forward to play in the paint. I like him more as a F than I do as a G. Don’t think he has G skills.

Reserve

Kristian Lander-We can squeeze him in, but he’s a developmental guy. Foul trouble will dictate his minutes. He’ll have his chance as a starter down the road.

Injured/Other Reserve

Joey Brunk-Pretty simple with him. If and when he’s ready to go, he takes up a lot of minutes, if not a starting position.

Parker Stewart-Same. Maybe not a starter if he does play, but he will play 15-20 mins a game. Just too good of an offensive player not to.
👍

Race is the best on the team at preventing point blank post position.

Going back to the Nebraska game, the game started with Phinisee guarding 6'9" Delano bantin. So what happened immediately? Very first thing, Banton pins Phin in a high post up, catches the ball and scores on a 12 foot turnaround. It was a ridiculous and replanted situation, "if Rob matches up with you, post him up".

Same thing happens if Hunter starts at the 4. Cannot do it. And even worse is the fact that it would probably force TJD into even worse early foul trouble trying to stop the Big Ten's biggest guys.

Cannot do that line up against most conference teams.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
What's interesting is the Geronimo may be able to guard bigger guys. That is going to hurt Hunter's pt, but it allows better versatility for IU defensively.

Starting Lineup

Bench Rotation

Reserve

Injured/Other Reserve

Only thing I would change is RT and JH. WAP those two out. You have to have RT on the floor. Especially for his D and rebounding. Get JH and JG in there in some nice rotations for breathers and avoiding foul trouble.

If Jerome could play better post defense, would he be a candidate to start?

No.

I would argue that if we had a healthy Brunk, Hunter would have a better chance to start at the three, stretch the floor out a bit more, slide Armaan to the two and move Al to the bench.

Hunter's best chance is as a scoring mismatch at the 3 because he can go inside and outside. But his offense isn't there yet. That being said, he has been way more aggressive defensively this year and has started to contribute on the boards and scrapping for loose balls, which is nice.

Reactions: JB_Nomee
If Jerome could play better post defense, would he be a candidate to start?
Better D makes anybody a better candidate. But I don’t think that alone would replace RT for the starting role. He needs to have a higher motor overall, and is a great option have off the bench because of his flexibility.

ADVERTISEMENT