ADVERTISEMENT

How hard is it for the IU athletic department

Charlesroast

Freshman
Aug 4, 2013
to post correct and current information regarding summer league assignments and signing status by our 10 draftees and seniors. Apparently it is a daunting task.

I haven’t gone through the entire summer league list but right off the bat Drew Ashley is not on the Peninsula Pilot roster. Tommy Sommer is on the Terre Haute Roster.

There are kids who didn’t play much last year but will be needed in 2020. Their performance this summer can give us a glimpse of what we could expect next season.

It strikes me this should be a simple task for an athletic department staff member and that there is value in promoting the product which can’t hurt and might help attracting talent and fans.

to post correct and current information regarding summer league assignments and signing status by our 10 draftees and seniors. Apparently it is a daunting task.

I haven’t gone through the entire summer league list but right off the bat Drew Ashley is not on the Peninsula Pilot roster. Tommy Sommer is on the Terre Haute Roster.

There are kids who didn’t play much last year but will be needed in 2020. Their performance this summer can give us a glimpse of what we could expect next season.

It strikes me this should be a simple task for an athletic department staff member and that there is value in promoting the product which can’t hurt and might help attracting talent and fans.

So because Drew Ashley isn't listed on the PP roster, it's IU's fault? Matt Litwicki is also not on the PP roster, but is listed in the IU release as also playing there this summer. Lo and behold, perhaps this is a PP issue and not an IU issue?

If you think the communication between players, coaches, teams and media relations people is a well oiled machine when it comes to summer league, I'd say you're sorely mistaken. Not to mention that whoever does baseball media relations for IU just got done with a grueling season and might have taken some time off during the summer months before jumping back into whatever sport that person has to cover in the fall.

So because Drew Ashley isn't listed on the PP roster, it's IU's fault? Matt Litwicki is also not on the PP roster, but is listed in the IU release as also playing there this summer. Lo and behold, perhaps this is a PP issue and not an IU issue?

If you think the communication between players, coaches, teams and media relations people is a well oiled machine when it comes to summer league, I'd say you're sorely mistaken. Not to mention that whoever does baseball media relations for IU just got done with a grueling season and might have taken some time off during the summer months before jumping back into whatever sport that person has to cover in the fall.
That’s Greg Kincaid, and he also does football.

My thinking is if it is worth posting an initial list of assignments, it should be correct & with minimal effort it can be. I haven’t checked all the players listed, but the first one I did is not on the Pilots posted roster and has not appeared in any game as yet. Litwicki is on the posted roster and has appeared in games. This issue has occurred in the past and I expect there are other examples of incorrect info on this years IU site list.

I very much understand that summer league rosters are fluid and I don’t expect the athletic department to track the season. If I want to waste my time tracking some of our players summer efforts it helps if I at least know where they start.

To each his own.

Reactions: mk23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT