ADVERTISEMENT

How good is Freddie McSwain Jr. ?

To me it sounds like some of you guys are hoping this turns ugly this year. Why is it when someone is positive on here and is looking forward to the season some want to dash that positive attitude. We get it you guys don't think Crean is a good coach and he won't ever get us to the top which might be true but why be so negative 5 months before the season even starts.
Sigh, so predictable....would it be better if went fire him, back him, fire him, no back him!!! Like you do?

Reactions: Rakkasan29
Newkirk doesnt shoot very well and defenses will back off him and overplay on others. If he hasnt improved his shot and if RJ doesnt improve his decision making its going to get ugly quick.
JN has worked a year with these "shot doctor" assistant coaches that I read so much about. Hopefully, JN can keep you honest from 20 feet. JN is without a doubt a better shooter than Stanford Robinson, though. : /
I am a lot higher on RJ's point guard abilities than you are. I believe he will pleasantly surprise you next year. RJ is a basketball player.

JN has worked a year with these "shot doctor" assistant coaches that I read so much about. Hopefully, JN can keep you honest from 20 feet. JN is without a doubt a better shooter than Stanford Robinson, though. : /
I am a lot higher on RJ's point guard abilities than you are. I believe he will pleasantly surprise you next year. RJ is a basketball player.
Everyone that has talked about RJ likes his game, we are only taking a wait and see on him lowering his TOs

Kenpom had his to rate higher than TWs, let that sink in and then tell me why we should expect such a dramatic improvement in that area. Lights do go on for some players, but it's usually a gradual improvement.

Every offseason we are told to expect miracles. Last summer it was TW shooting thousands of threes, boom outside shooter...TW/JBjr heard what the NBA said about defense and they are going to focus defensively....it's usually baby steps

I hope it is a case of the light going on, but I'm still taking the wait and see approach...and please note none of us have said they can't be dramatically better, again just waiting and seeing

To me it sounds like some of you guys are hoping this turns ugly this year. Why is it when someone is positive on here and is looking forward to the season some want to dash that positive attitude. We get it you guys don't think Crean is a good coach and he won't ever get us to the top which might be true but why be so negative 5 months before the season even starts.
Derp

Reactions: Shirtsandskins
Being realistic isn't being negative.
Why do you guys have to respond negatively to posters about players they think will be good like Newkirk or McSwain who you guys have never seen play. None of us have any idea how these guys will play once the season starts so why not wait and see instead of trying to rain on anything positive on this board.

Why do you guys have to respond negatively to posters about players they think will be good like Newkirk or McSwain who you guys have never seen play. None of us have any idea how these guys will play once the season starts so why not wait and see instead of trying to rain on anything positive on this board.
We have seen JN play, he played against IU....wouldn't the same apply to those saying they will be good? How do they know if they haven't seen them play?

Why are you constantly policing the board? If there is a "you guys" being overly negative, put them/me on ignore....but I think you would miss getting the chance to complain about them/me too much to do that. It's obvious what drives you

Its called reasoning. You should try it someday.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
They both have a lot of work to do this summer.

We have seen JN play, he played against IU....wouldn't the same apply to those saying they will be good? How do they know if they haven't seen them play?

Why are you constantly policing the board? If there is a "you guys" being overly negative, put them/me on ignore....but I think you would miss getting the chance to complain about them/me too much to do that. It's obvious what drives you
Newkirk did hit 44% of his 3's his freshmen year so it shows that he is capable. I think people should temper those expectations but at least it is nice seeing people feel positive about our program instead of being negative.

Newkirk did hit 44% of his 3's his freshmen year so it shows that he is capable. I think people should temper those expectations but at least it is nice seeing people feel positive about our program instead of being negative.
You avoided the question, if the negative folk bother you enough to harp on it almost daily why not use the ignore function and do everyone a favor, including yourself?

YAAAAAAAAY TEAM! Am I a "True fan" now? Lol.......

You avoided the question, if the negative folk bother you enough to harp on it almost daily why not use the ignore function and do everyone a favor, including yourself?
Why does it bother you guys so much that people can actually be positive about the team we all love. Why is it you guys have to try to bring them down if people post something positive.

Reactions: Stem to Stern
Why does it bother you guys so much that people can actually be positive about the team we all love. Why is it you guys have to try to bring them down if people post something positive.
You are good at avoiding questions

It doesn't bother me, I'm offering my opinion, the fact that you don't like it means nothing to me.

Why don't you use the ignore function? Am I right in saying that it's because you want something to complain about?

You are good at avoiding questions

It doesn't bother me, I'm offering my opinion, the fact that you don't like it means nothing to me.

Why don't you use the ignore function? Am I right in saying that it's because you want something to complain about?
Why not answer my question as to why you guys feel the need to try to bring down the positive people. You saw I did not post much the last few days and the traffic was slow but today when I was on here you guys stalk me.

JN does not have to replace Yoga for this team to be really good next year! We truly are a deep team where they can compensate for each others weaknesses. We have an excellent chance in repeating as Big Ten champs! We can make a deep run in the tournament as well but that usually depends on match ups.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
Why not answer my question as to why you guys feel the need to try to bring down the positive people. You saw I did not post much the last few days and the traffic was slow but today when I was on here you guys stalk me.
I did answer your question!!!!

I said it doesn't bother me, it isn't a need... I only reply with my opinion....I can't help it if you don't like it

No one is stalking you, you called out TMP and lumped in others with the you guys...you went looking for a fight and now are crying because you got it

Again, why not use the ignore function and rid yourself of your "stalkers"? Because you like to complain, that's why!!

JN does not have to replace Yoga for this team to be really good next year! We truly are a deep team where they can compensate for each others weaknesses. We have an excellent chance in repeating as Big Ten champs! We can make a deep run in the tournament as well but that usually depends on match ups.
I agree with all of that, if things fall into place next year could be like last year

Newkirk did hit 44% of his 3's his freshmen year so it shows that he is capable. I think people should temper those expectations but at least it is nice seeing people feel positive about our program instead of being neg
why can't you guys let other enjoy the team and their outlook on the season without trying to bring everyone down with your negativity. It is understandable after losses and the team playing bad but to do it in June is ridiculous.
Why cant you just comprehend what was said instead of assuming and projecting? And why do you think anyone would ever listen to you?

Scott,

Please specifically list all the "negative" comments that were made.

I said it doesn't bother me, it isn't a need... I only reply with my opinion....I can't help it if you don't like it

No one is stalking you, you called out TMP and lumped in other with the you guys...you went looking for a fight and now are crying because you got it

Again, why not use the ignore function and rid yourself of your "stalkers"? Because you like to complain, that's why!!
Exactly I posted to TMP and not you so why did you feel the need to respond if it does not bother you. You just seem like a creepy stalker to me.

No one is stalking you, you called out TMP and lumped in other with the you guys...you went looking for a fight and now are crying because you got it

Ever play chess with a parrot? Vbg.....Fwiw its a waste of time.

Scott,

Please specifically list all the "negative" comments that were made.
I have seen post criticizing players like Newkirk or JBJ and Johnson today and Gelon the last few days. Why just not let the people feel positive about those players and this team without trying to correct them just because you don't agree with them.

Exactly I posted to TMP and not you so why did you feel the need to respond if it does not bother you. You just seem like a creepy stalker to me.
You have nagged me repeatedly about being negative, I assumed I was in the you guys category...why not ignore if we bother you so much?

I have seen post criticizing players like Newkirk or JBJ and Johnson today and Gelon the last few days. Why just not let the people feel positive about those players and this team without trying to correct them just because you don't agree with them.
Nuh-uh Scott.

You insisted posters were negative. Again, please list the comments and who made them.

I think it's more a matter of some people applying critical thinking and reasoning to it while others base their views much more on hope than any real sound evaluations. Plenty of room for both serious and casual fans.

Some of us want to talk about the legitimate prospects for the team. If you can't be a part of that, don't participate in the threads.

Some of us want to talk about the legitimate prospects for the team. If you can't be a part of that, don't participate in the threads.

I guess that it is the eye of the beholder on whose prospects is legitimate or not, but it does seem that some on here believe that the more negative their views of the team are then the more legitimate their views are as well. Can this team win a championship next year? I believe that it is possible but a lot has to do with a lot of variables outside the control of the team. But I do not believe that the ceiling is a sweet sixteen for Coach Crean. To me that makes no sense whatsoever, but everyone has their opinions.

I guess that it is the eye of the beholder on whose prospects is legitimate or not, but it does seem that some on here believe that the more negative their views of the team are then the more legitimate their views are as well. Can this team win a championship next year? I believe that it is possible but a lot has to do with a lot of variables outside the control of the team. But I do not believe that the ceiling is a sweet sixteen for Coach Crean. To me that makes no sense whatsoever, but everyone has their opinions.
what do you believe is TCs ceiling?

But what you tend to see from people who take a more subjective view really is mostly cheerleading. Never seen a kid play? It doesn't matter, he's an upgrade. Two blown out knees? He'll be better. Four year starting guard graduates? Doesn't matter, IU will be better in the backcourt. Second leading scorer and top rebounder leaves early? The lightly recruited juco who dunks like Dominique will be better. Two fifth year guys, a four year guy and a three year guy all leave, replaced by kids who've yet to wear the stripes? It's clearly a better team. It goes on and on and on, even though there's so little to it.

But what you tend to see from people who take a more subjective view really is mostly cheerleading. Never seen a kid play? It doesn't matter, he's an upgrade. Two blown out knees? He'll be better. Four year starting guard graduates? Doesn't matter, IU will be better in the backcourt. Second leading scorer and top rebounder leaves early? The lightly recruited juco who dunks like Dominique will be better. Two fifth year guys, a four year guy and a three year guy all leave, replaced by kids who've yet to wear the stripes? It's clearly a better team. It goes on and on and on, even though there's so little to it.
The two 5 year guys are role players that will be replaced by OG and JBJr-I am ok with that.
Four year guy Yogi is tough to replace - but is being replaced by a 4 year guy that started 2 years at a Power Conference, plus RJ is pretty good too. Athree year guy is being replaced by JM and CH and DD, all pretty good players. Bryant will be better and I am optimistic that IU has a helluva team next year. You are as negative as I have ever seen on this board. sorry for you. What do you predict for IU next year, record and B1G wise, just askin for you to go on the record with a prediction. I will post it as my sig line to prove your glory.

Our guard play is questionable. Questionable. So we question it. It's going to be talked about constantly from now until the season starts and probably after. It will certainly be mentioned by ESPN, CBS, and by every freakin media outlet that follows and reports on IU basketball on the preseason breakdowns.

Are they being negative too? Are they HATERZ? Or are they just pointing out the obvious? Why is it so GD hard to talk about it on this forum without someone bleating silly accusations of negativity?

RJ's decision making has been weak, he had a 20% TO ratio, while playing a role and position that is known to not have that much opportunity for TO's. Do you get that? The 2 guard position, especially when played by a shooter averages the least amount of TO's of any other position in basketball and has for at least 50 years. 20% is way too high.

So if a player playing a majority of his time at that position has a TO rate that high and that player is being talked about as a possible PG... Well, that's deserves to be questioned.

Someone keeps mentioning Troy's TO's were higher. They were very close, BUT, Troy was a slashing wing player. That role tends to have the highest TO rate, but it is balanced by having higher FT rates. (FT created)

RJ not only had a high TO rate but a low FT rate, even for his role and position. So he wasn't an effective penetrating "slasher" so there's no reason to have that many TO's. That points to him being ineffective so far as a ball handler. Any coach that uses analytics would probably limit his ball-handling at least until he improved.

He had a decent Ast ratio, but with that high of a TO%, it wipes it out. Also, good Ast ratio, + low FT ratio, + high TO's = poor decisions, or bad vision and awareness, or gambling too much. Those traits do not scream PG. Probably best as a secondary ballhandler unless he improves drastically.

That's not negativity, nor an opinion, it's just math and reality. He doesn't produce enough per minute either. The only above average trait he has is his shooting but that's another discussion.

Newkirk. He's known as being ineffective as a shooter, average as a distributor but quick and a good ballhandler. Teams have backed off on him in the past, and probably will again until he proves he can shoot. So far his best role is as a back up PG. We'll most likely ask a little more than that. So he's also questionable and there's nothing wrong with saying so.

When an opposing team's scouting report says the same damn thing will one of you bleat about negativity then?

Ridiculous ..

fwiw - Crean is also questionable as a coach, that's why his ability is constantly questioned. It has nothing to do with emotional "feelings" or if we like him or not. Which seems to be the limit of reasoning for many on this board.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay team! We're the BESTEST!

Last edited:
The two 5 year guys are role players that will be replaced by OG and JBJr-I am ok with that.
Four year guy Yogi is tough to replace - but is being replaced by a 4 year guy that started 2 years at a Power Conference, plus RJ is pretty good too. Athree year guy is being replaced by JM and CH and DD, all pretty good players. Bryant will be better and I am optimistic that IU has a helluva team next year. You are as negative as I have ever seen on this board. sorry for you. What do you predict for IU next year, record and B1G wise, just askin for you to go on the record with a prediction. I will post it as my sig line to prove your glory.
OG/JM/CH were there last year, I expect improvement of course but besides OG I doubt if either JM/CH or any of the newcomers gives us what Max gave us last year

Who started for 2yrs at a power conference? It can't be JN, he started 4 games in two years, averaging less than 19mpg

I'm not sure about being better than last year, I can see them matching last year, winning B1G, but I don't see a team that is ready for a long run in the NCAAT. yogi leaving is a big hole for any team to fill, but it's a gigantic hole for a TC coached team.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
This is the fluffy, puddle deep "analysis" of which I speak. Thanks for so comvincingly making my point.

Our guard play is questionable. Questionable. So we question it. It's going to be talked about constantly from now until the season starts and probably after. It will certainly be mentioned by ESPN, CBS, and by every freakin media outlet that follows and reports on IU basketball on the preseason breakdowns.

Are they being negative too? Are they HATERZ? Or are they just pointing out the obvious? Why is it so GD hard to talk about it on this forum without someone bleating silly accusations of negativity?

RJ's decision making has been weak, he had a 20% TO ratio, while playing a role and position that is known to not have that much opportunity for TO's. Do you get that? The 2 guard position, especially when played by a shooter averages the least amount of TO's of any other position in basketball and has for at least 50 years. 20% is way too high.

So if a player playing a majority of his time at that position has a TO rate that high and that player is being talked about as a possible PG... Well, that's deserves to be questioned.

Someone keeps mentioning Troy's TO's were higher. They were very close, BUT, Troy was a slashing wing player. That role tends to have the highest TO rate, but it is balanced by having higher FT rates. (FT created)

RJ not only had a high TO rate but a low FT rate, even for his role and position. So he wasn't an effective penetrating "slasher" so there's no reason to have that many TO's. That points to him being ineffective so far as a ball handler. Any coach that uses analytics would probably limit his ball-handling at least until he improved.

He had a decent Ast ratio, but with that high of a TO%, it wipes it out. Also, good Ast ratio, + low FT ratio, + high TO's = poor decisions, or bad vision and awareness, or gambling too much. Those traits do not scream PG. Probably best as a secondary ballhandler unless he improves drastically.

That's not negativity, nor an opinion, it's just math and reality. He doesn't produce enough per minute either. The only above average trait he has is his shooting but that's another discussion.

Newkirk. He's known as being ineffective as a shooter, average as a distributor but quick and a good ballhandler. Teams have backed off on him in the past, and probably will again until he proves he can shoot. So far his best role is as a back up PG. We'll most likely ask a little more than that. So he's also questionable and there's nothing wrong with saying so.

When an opposing team's scouting report says the same damn thing will one of you bleat about negativity then?

Ridiculous ..

fwiw - Crean is also questionable as a coach, that's why his ability is constantly questioned. It has nothing to do with emotional "feelings" or if we like him or not. Which seems to be the limit of reasoning for many on this board.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay team! We're the BESTEST!

I do not believe that pg duties will be assigned to one player but be more of a committee unlike last year. I think that it will be based on matchups who will be the primary ball handler. It is important to get penetration in our offense, so who has the best chance will start our offense.

You are right that will be our weakness, but every team except for Duke will have a glaring weakness. But I believe that our weakness will be masked by going to a committee approach where one player has all the responsibility.

We have size, shooting, strength, quickness, depth, athleticism, and experience, so yes there is a lot to look forward to for next year. We do have a question mark at the pg spot, but almost every team in the country has holes to fill for next year.

Coach Crean already made it to the final four at Marqutte, so I think that it is foolish to think that he cannot do it at Indiana. With the complete overall of the team and him filling the roster with high school talent, I give him a pass for the first three years. If anyone give stats that include the first three years, it shows that they clearly have an agenda. He has made the sweet sixteen three times out of the last five years. I wish we have went farther, but it is not as horrible that some has made it out to be. We can go farther than a sweet sixteen appearance and I expect that we will go farther.

Coach Crean already made it to the final four at Marqutte, so I think that it is foolish to think that he cannot do it at Indiana. With the complete overall of the team and him filling the roster with high school talent, I give him a pass for the first three years. If anyone give stats that include the first three years, it shows that they clearly have an agenda. He has made the sweet sixteen three times out of the last five years. I wish we have went farther, but it is not as horrible that some has made it out to be. We can go farther than a sweet sixteen appearance and I expect that we will go farther.

If anyone dismisses Tom Crean's third year at Indiana, they clearly have an agenda. There is absolutely no excuse for the performance of the program in that year. None.

The roster of that team was far too talented to finish last in the Big Ten. That falls solely at the feet of Tom Crean. To push the narrative that he should be excused for how that team fared is complete BS. Three years at Indiana and a last place finish, no matter where he started, is inexcusable.

Reactions: TheSpa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT