ADVERTISEMENT

How Elvis Shook Up the world.

Great voice, but nothing but an overrated performance clown .... no different that someone in a boy band.

The real genius was Scotty Moore.
You're a complete idiot. Kentucky Rain is three and a half minutes of musical perfection. His range of vocals is unmatched. Not Sinatra, not Michael Jackson, not anyone or before or since.

Just surprised you didn't play the "he stole from black artists" card.

Invented power chords. One of those Sun guitarists who took finger picking into another genre and he was the best at it.
The black musicians did it first years earlier. It's like everything from that era ... rock n roll in a form was being played almost 15+ years before rock around the clock came out ..

At least they didn't name a style after him like they did Merle, who stole Travis picking from Piedmont Blues players.

The black musicians did it first years earlier. It's like everything from that era ... rock n roll in a form was being played almost 15+ years before rock around the clock came out ..

At least they didn't name a style after him like they did Merle, who stole Travis picking from Piedmont Blues players.
Sam did claim Chester was his favorite guitarist.

All those guys that went through there played like that and every guy that wanted that sound, tried to too. I have a half dozen of my granddad's thumb picks in the case with his Gretsch. I could never get the hang of it.

Reactions: T.M.P.
Sam did claim Chester was his favorite guitarist.

All those guys that went through there played like that and every guy that wanted that sounds, tried to too. I have a half dozen of my granddad's thumb picks in the case with his Gretsch. I could never get the hang of it.
Thumb picks get on my nerves. I used to grow my nails (thumb, fore and ring finger only) but my GF complained and well .... ya know... vbg

So I just pick away without either.

I dropped the pick almost 20 years ago, took me a couple years to get it down but once I could play without thinking about what my thumb was doing* it became habit. when I first started I generally wanted to throw my guitar against the wall ..

*lol - sometimes I really have no clue what my thumb is doing... it just bounces around.

Last edited:
Thumb picks get on my nerves. I used to grow my nails (thumb, fore and ring finger only) but my GF complained and well .... ya know... vbg

I dropped the pick almost 20 years ago, took me a couple years to get it down but once I could play without thinking about what my thumb was doing it* became habit. when I first started I generally wanted to throw my guitar against the wall ..

*lol - sometimes I really have no clue what my thumb is doing... it just bounces around.
That "no clue...bounce around" comment generally describes my attempted playing. Hahaha

Reactions: T.M.P.
That "no clue...bounce around" comment generally describes my attempted playing. Hahaha
I used to tell my kids that it's all about conquering frustration. And that frustration that we all have never ends. the goal is that line just ahead of us but when reached, the accomplishment lasts about two seconds and a new higher better goal appears. From novice to master ... if there is such a thing ... everyone feels that way. If you don't feel that way, you're not playing.

Jeff Beck at the age of 40 something talked about conquering a move he had worked on for a decade....

Reactions: hookyIU1990
I used to tell my kids that it's all about conquering frustration. And that frustration that we all have never ends. the goal is that line just ahead of us but when reached, the accomplishment lasts about two seconds and a new higher better goal appears. From novice to master ... if there is such a thing ... everyone feels that way. If you don't feel that way, you're not playing.

Jeff Beck at the age of 40 something talked about conquering a move he had worked on for a decade....
Wow..... I don't know what's more amazing, that you're able to have an adult dialogue with someone on this board without your trademark "dumb" or "hillbilly" comments, or the fact that someone actually procreated with you.

It's definitely the latter. The generosity of some women never ceases to astound me.

Last edited:

I dropped the pick almost 20 years ago, took me a couple years to get it down but once I could play without thinking about what my thumb was doing* it became habit. when I first started I generally wanted to throw my guitar against the wall ..

This always just fascinated me, the way his thumb just picks away at every note. Not a player but I can appreciate a picker.

Elvis was a hero to most, but he never meant shit to me.

- Chuck D

ADVERTISEMENT