ADVERTISEMENT

How do we have a BIG10 basketball season if students are gone in Dec-Jan?

Hoosiermamalou

Newcomer
Mar 7, 2017
I saw that IU's proposed schedule has students finishing in person classes before Thanksgiving and not returning to campus until February. Previously, I read that without students on campus we wouldn't have sports. But I haven't heard anything like that since the announcement about the schedule. Any clues?

I stayed in Bloomington all of my college summers.
The summers were great as the crowds were down for parking, the bars, etc.
I also remember swimming at the naked quarries.
Dec thru Feb rules out the quarries but you will still be able to park

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
We have no guarantee that there will even be fans in the stands for games, do we? In Europe, all of the professional football, soccer for the uncultured :p, matches are being played "behind closed doors" (without fans). They are simply being played for the TV revenue at this stage. I wouldn't be too surprised if sports in the US didn't follow suit.

I don't really understand what this has to do with whether we will have basketball this season, but I may have jumped into the quarries in my birthday suit...

Students are already gone from mid-December through the first couple of weeks in January anyway and they still play. No students, no sports wasn’t meant to be taken literally. It meant that if the entire university cancelled on-campus classes for any of the semesters, sports wouldn’t be played. The new schedule tweaks things but IU is officially planning to be open for the “fall semester” as is the case for most universities.

Reactions: Hoosiermamalou
Students are already gone from mid-December through the first couple of weeks in January anyway and they still play. No students, no sports wasn’t meant to be taken literally. It meant that if the entire university cancelled on-campus classes for any of the semesters, sports wouldn’t be played. The new schedule tweaks things but IU is officially planning to be open for the “fall semester” as is the case for most universities.

How will it effect your third grade team? Parents only allowed at the fields?

I asked my season ticket contact if the season tix for students would go unsold and make space to spread out the season tix holders to get down to 50% occupancy(IU has abt 8k student season tix) - I was told that was an option they are considering along with several others as well. An announcement will come ‘soon’.

Reactions: Hoosiermamalou
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT