ADVERTISEMENT

How Big is the Minnesota Game

Bowlmania

All-American
Sep 23, 2016
IU is 4-4 with 4 games left. In my view, we have virtually no chance of winning one (at Michigan) of the remaining games. Realistically, then, we've got three chances at winning two games to become bowl eligible.

Indiana achieved bowl eligibility in both 2015 and 2016 by beating bad Purdue teams in the final game of the season. We don't have the luxury of playing a bad Purdue team this year. A couple of weeks ago, I saw this year's Bucket game as one that was leaning IU, primarily because of Purdue's early season struggles against some mediocre competition. However, given their impressive turnaround including a dismantling of Ohio State Saturday night, I view the Bucket game now as a likely Purdue win. As a result, Indiana's best chances of winning two more are this Friday night at Minnesota, and the following game versus Maryland.

How big is the Minnesota game? Our season is no doubt riding on it.

Way bigger than it should be. They now have to win two of three realistically winnable games or they have underachieved.

It's huge, really huge because it will tell you if Tom Allen will be here for the long haul. If he beats a miserable Minnesota team, great, he should beat them. If not, you really start questioning his ability as a head coach.

It's huge, really huge because it will tell you if Tom Allen will be here for the long haul. If he beats a miserable Minnesota team, great, he should beat them. If not, you really start questioning his ability as a head coach.
Oh,ok. If we beat Minnesota at their place, that's not an accomplishment because they suck. It's a given that we should beat them. Got it.

Just to be clear, though, they don't suck. They gave Ohio State a battle in Columbus and played Iowa more competitively than we did. Oh, and they had the big, splashy HC hire with Fleck.

And no B1G road game is easy -- just ask the Buckeyes.

No line on the game yet, probably because Annexstad's (MN starting QB) status is questionable.

Reactions: IUCol
I think Indiana, PU & MD all need to "beat MN" to go to a bowl game. MN likely needs to win all those to be bowl eligible too. Every game is tough and meaningful in the B10!

Reactions: 76-1
If you expected IU to go bowling this year, then you were picking them to win this game. I know I had it circled and the Gophers loss at Nebraska is proof that IU should win this game. Nebraska is really bad. Just our luck we don't get to play them this year too. After the win at Minny, IU gets a much needed 15 day break before playing Maryland at home. Another must win game that I had picked as an IU win. These next 2 games are the season for IU.

Reactions: IUgradman
Maryland is averaging 110 passing yards per game. I like the Hoosiers in that one.

And only 84 yds a game since after first game against Texas. Their offense is completely contingent on the run game.

They are averaging 300 yds on the ground a game in their wins, and just 115 yds in their losses. Slow their run game even just a little, and Maryland has no offense.

I think most reasonable fans have been questioning this for about 11 months now.

But this year could end all questioning.

Reactions: td75 and IUgradman
If IU gets to 6 games, with UM and PU left, everyone should be thrilled.

lol
Oh,ok. If we beat Minnesota at their place, that's not an accomplishment because they suck. It's a given that we should beat them. Got it.

Just to be clear, though, they don't suck. They gave Ohio State a battle in Columbus and played Iowa more competitively than we did. Oh, and they had the big, splashy HC hire with Fleck.

There's an obvious fallacy in your argument. You say that because they gave OSU & Iowa better games than us, they don't suck. You don't mention that Maryland beat them by 29, and Nebraska by 25. Also, have you considered the possibility that they do suck, but so does IU?

USA Today has us at #74 nationally, ESPN #61. Both have us as the #49 P5 team out of 65..So....if your definition of sucking is to be in the bottom 1/3 of P5 teams, we qualify.

The good news is USA Today thinks we're better than Tennessee, GT, UCLA, Nebraska, Arizona, Arkansas, UL, & N. Carolina.....the bad news is they think we're worse than UAB, Georgia Southern, North TX, Troy, Baylor, Lou. Tech, N. Illinois, Marshall, W. Michigan, FIU & Nevada.

lol

There's an obvious fallacy in your argument. You say that because they gave OSU & Iowa better games than us, they don't suck. You don't mention that Maryland beat them by 29, and Nebraska by 25. Also, have you considered the possibility that they do suck, but so does IU?

USA Today has us at #74 nationally, ESPN #61. Both have us as the #49 P5 team out of 65..So....if your definition of sucking is to be in the bottom 1/3 of P5 teams, we qualify.

The good news is USA Today thinks we're better than Tennessee, GT, UCLA, Nebraska, Arizona, Arkansas, UL, & N. Carolina.....the bad news is they think we're worse than UAB, Georgia Southern, North TX, Troy, Baylor, Lou. Tech, N. Illinois, Marshall, W. Michigan, FIU & Nevada.
They're 3-4, we're 4-4. I don't know what rankings you're talking about, but the Sagarin/USA Today ratings have us at 64 and MN at 66, and we're just a 2.5 point favorite in the game. But they do have the great P.J. Fleck as head coach.

Yes, I am willing to consider the possibility that both teams suck, but I'm not there yet. And, even if that's true, it negates the ridiculous earlier argument that this is an easy game for IU and one that we should definitely win. The teams appear to be pretty evenly matched, and it will take a strong effort by IU to get the road W.

They're 3-4, we're 4-4. I don't know what rankings you're talking about, but the Sagarin/USA Today ratings have us at 64 and MN at 66, and we're just a 2.5 point favorite in the game. But they do have the great P.J. Fleck as head coach.

Yes, I am willing to consider the possibility that both teams suck, but I'm not there yet. And, even if that's true, it negates the ridiculous earlier argument that this is an easy game for IU and one that we should definitely win. The teams appear to be pretty evenly matched, and it will take a strong effort by IU to get the road W.
You are absolutely right. It will be a tough game. Minny beat a decent Fresno State team and, while not really a good team, will be playing at home looking at IU as a nice first B1G win. IU has a very poor road record; and they are more capable of playing three or four good quarters than Rutgers is, look what happened in that game. We can't botch this one like we did with PSU.

Maryland will really be interesting game. They have a very good defense with some very good athletes. I'm surprised they don't go back to Bortonschlager at QB. He can at least throw the ball. I'm really glad that is a home game.

Wonder how long it will take the Minny fans to tire of that "Row the boat" BS. I've heard some of the other B1G coaches are tired of it.

IU is 4-4 with 4 games left. In my view, we have virtually no chance of winning one (at Michigan) of the remaining games. Realistically, then, we've got three chances at winning two games to become bowl eligible.

Indiana achieved bowl eligibility in both 2015 and 2016 by beating bad Purdue teams in the final game of the season. We don't have the luxury of playing a bad Purdue team this year. A couple of weeks ago, I saw this year's Bucket game as one that was leaning IU, primarily because of Purdue's early season struggles against some mediocre competition. However, given their impressive turnaround including a dismantling of Ohio State Saturday night, I view the Bucket game now as a likely Purdue win. As a result, Indiana's best chances of winning two more are this Friday night at Minnesota, and the following game versus Maryland.

How big is the Minnesota game? Our season is no doubt riding on it.

Big

Beat Minnuhsoda!

Reactions: Bowlmania

Agree no such thing as a gimme road or home game for that matter but they are one team that may be younger than IU. And they did just lose to an 0-6 Nebraska team.

This is a proper measuring stick for this team. It would be nice to get one against one of the elites, but in reality the next step for our program is to win these games against mid to lower tier teams. Virginia was a big win, and this is equally as important. Winning six games this year is an over achievement with the youth and inexperience we are playing with.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT