ADVERTISEMENT

How basketball has changed.

Rockport Zebra

All-American
Jan 30, 2002
One and done, Grad transfers, hundreds of transfers. Schools that have no business playing Division One basketball. I am glad he came back. I hope he found peace. But no one could ever coach like him again. Hell you couldn't run a Infantry Company like this today,

Debbie Knox hasn't really changed that much.

He drove them like a team of horses to that championship. They really came together that year. When we beat Wisconsin in triple OT, lots of people, myself included, thought it was a special team that would make some noise in the post season. I never thought national champs until those games in Cincinnati were over though.

He drove them like a team of horses to that championship. They really came together that year. When we beat Wisconsin in triple OT, lots of people, myself included, thought it was a special team that would make some noise in the post season. I never thought national champs until those games in Cincinnati were over though.
What is somewhat ironic is that many experts feel that the 1974-1975 team that lost to Kentucky in the Dayton Regional (92-88 if I remember correctly) was a better team than the 1975-1976 Championship Team and would have been undefeated Champions had Scott May not broken his arm late in the season.

What is somewhat ironic is that many experts feel that the 1974-1975 team that lost to Kentucky in the Dayton Regional (92-88 if I remember correctly) was a better team than the 1975-1976 Championship Team and would have been undefeated Champions had Scott May not broken his arm late in the season.
Correct

Larry Bird was on campus for the 1974-75 season, before he left. Imagine the 1975 and 1976 IU Teams with Larry Bird on the roster.

Reactions: IUgradman
Injuries likely cost Knight a couple of additional banners

Reactions: 76-1
Hindsight is 20/20 but I never thought Knight should have started May in that UK game. He really couldn’t perform and having him in and out just had a slight but sufficient negative impact on their offensive flow.

Hindsight is 20/20 but I never thought Knight should have started May in that UK game. He really couldn’t perform and having him in and out just had a slight but sufficient negative impact on their offensive flow.
Also, if I recall, the game was called by three SEC officials. The Chicago Tribune had a scathing article regarding the officiating.
Robey & Phillips were allowed to manhandle Green and Abernethy. One was quoted as saying an official told him they wouldn’t be getting any of “those charging” calls today.

Larry Bird was on campus for the 1974-75 season, before he left. Imagine the 1975 and 1976 IU Teams with Larry Bird on the roster.

Heck... imagine the 76-77 and 77-78 teams too. The dude lead Indiana State, let me say it again, Indiana State to the National Title game.

Reactions: ufo33
don't think there's much doubt about it, given that the 74-75 team had pretty much everyone from the 76 Championship PLUS Green and Laz...

IIRC, IU had beaten UK earlier in the season and Joe B. Hall spent the rest of that season complaining about IU's "moving screens" on offense. Those complaints, along with May's injury, paid off for UK in the tournament.

IU lost 92-90. Sad day because that was probably Knight’s best team if May wasn’t injured. They steamrolled through the regular season. The ‘76 team was also great, and tough, as they went undefeated with some close calls throughout the season.

Reactions: ufo33

They were better. Steve Green and Laz. 75 and 76 squads both undefeated 18-0 in conference. I don’t know if that will ever happen again. I saw perfection and I want to see it again.

Basketball has changed. It’s smarter, teams will look for an open 3 over a contested 2 because it’s a more efficient attempt.

Knight is from a different era. Those still clinging to him are pathetic.

And he was an asshole.

Glen Grunwald would have been an awesome player if not for knee problems. Also Wison kid who was shot down by thugs in Chicago.A lot of different scenarios could have garnered Knight 1-2 more titles.

One and done, Grad transfers, hundreds of transfers. Schools that have no business playing Division One basketball. I am glad he came back. I hope he found peace. But no one could ever coach like him again. Hell you couldn't run a Infantry Company like this today,
Who would win a war with the infantry of today? Remember the other
side is not playing by your rules.

ADVERTISEMENT