ADVERTISEMENT

How am I doing according to Maslow's ladder of needs? Let's take a look. I'm sure you're thinking

Eppy99

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 27, 2001
WGAFF, but f*ck off this is my exercise and I'm starting a thread to evaluate how I'm doing. I invite all interested to comment or evaluate their own. Perhaps this is better suited for the water cooler, but I prefer the AOTF so let the punishment begin.

Ok, first lets review Maslow's sequence of eight that reflect human development from infancy to adulthood. These needs supposedly evolve from the most basic human need to the most advanced, and those needs that are the most basic almost always take priority over the more advanced ones. The basic needs are more prominent in children; middle-level needs are common in adults; and higher-level needs emerge only in a few adults, often in those who are intellectually advanced. I'm pretty sure I'm functioning more as a child, but for the sake of this evaluation I will continue....

The Foundation - Four Basic Needs

Level 1 - Food and Water - I would say considering how fat I am right now I've got this one more than covered and it was never an issue with my parent's either. We always had food on the table and never went hungry. CHECK

Level 2 - Safety - For the most part as a child I felt safe. We never had an alarm in the house, we lived in a fairly safe neighborhood and my parents never projected the idea to me that we weren't safe. Not until I started watching the news and became acutely aware of the cold war and the threat of nuclear war did I start to feel unsafe, but living in America I felt my safety for the most part was never in jeopardy. I suppose as an adult 9/11 changed this feeling a little bit, but for the most part this basic need has been met. As for my day to day feelings of safety at school, I was never bullied and if I did have confrontation I was always pretty secure in how to talk myself out of a confrontation. This is a rather important skill if you know you'll get your ass beat. CHECK

Level 3 - Belonging and Love - This is where things start to get a bit murky. While the love from my parents and family has never been debatable, that doesn't mean I ever really felt I fit in. Being the youngest of only two siblings I was definitely the black sheep of the family. I sought the path less traveled by my brother and parents. My food and drink selections have always been different, my taste in music differed my parents love of classical music, and while my parents seem to keep emotions in check I tend to wear my emotions on my sleeves. I suppose my self-imposed differences created my need to find acceptance elsewhere. I think you can find belonging within groups of peers, but if your parents never really accept and embrace your differences then you've got some mommy and daddy issues. Again I know my rents' love me, but I'm pretty sure I've got some mommy/daddy issues that have never completely been resolved. I would say .5 CHECK

Level 4 - Needs for esteem (i.e recognition, respect, achievement, competence, approval) - yea, I'm kinda ****ed here. I was such a mamma's boy and rarely given the opportunity for mastery, that when I did face adversity I often sought the help from others rather than tackling problems myself. This definitely rears it's ugly head today when there's something that needs to be fixed in my house or there's a difficult subject that I'm facing. I'm often seeking help from others or approval when I have done something on my own. My lack of independence as a child most certainly has affected my adulthood self-esteem. This is something I'm very aware of and because of this I'm trying to actively instill independence within my 3 children. Maybe if I instill this need within my kids I can check this off the list, but as of now.....FAIL

....Ok so those are the four basic needs.....I would say I'm somewhat stuck within a child's needs, but I will continue for the sake of this exercise....

The Advanced Levels - Four Growth Needs
So Maslow says when the four basic needs have been met to a reasonable degree, the child is ready to act upon the next four levels, which he terms "growth" needs. These allow the individual to continue learning, maturing, and developing both mentally and emotionally.

Level 5 - Needs to Know and Understand (i.e learning, understanding and exploring) - I believe I have a desire to learn and explore, but I think my inability to master and seek answers for myself has gotten in the way of my ability to master this growth need. FAIL

Level 6 - Aesthetic Needs (i.e symmetry, order, beauty) - Another epic fail here. I have a great love for music and creative writing and the arts in general, but my lack of being able to create some type of art for myself has always been a problem. I feel until I write a book, a song, a collection of poems, I will not be satisfied with my own creative endeavors. It's not enough for me just to appreciate the art of others, I feel a deep need to create an original work of my own. I need to learn to engage in activities that give me great pleasure. I suppose this activity is a step in the right direction....still I give myself a failing grade

Level 7 - Self-Actualization needs (i.e self-fulfillment, realizing one's potential) - given that I haven't mastered level 6, this is a pretty easy one to answer. Wouldn't it be wonderful to reach this pinnacle of achievement though?

Level 8 - Self-Transcendence Needs (helping others reach their potential, improving the world) - It's actually kind of funny how I tend to value this need more than my own. I guess it's kind of a self-sacrifice and I wonder how affective I can be at it without obtaining mastery of the previous 7 levels. It is self gratifying though to help others and a boost to ones self-esteem. For now I'll give myself a CHECK

I don't really feel the need to write a review, I suppose it speaks for itself. I would say just because all my levels haven't been met doesn't mean I'm ****ed for life. I haven't given up on mastering Maslow's ladder, but just in case I never do, **** you Maslow and your goddam levels.

I'm off to listen to some Chis Stapleton.....**** you too TMP. You can go ahead and like my post now C-$, you're much better at pissing him off than I am. As for the rest of you prepared to rip me a new one.....yea, I probably deserve it. But **** off anyways.....anyone for some fantasy golf this week?

Reactions: C-$
no wonder he made a pyramid, that was tough to get through.
i personally think there are a lot of truths in his hierarchy of needs, especially when you consider that studies have concluded that there is not a lot of separation in reported happiness between people with lots of money to middle class incomes

You left out another fail: not posting hotness for such a long touchy-feeling post as that.

knicks_4fb3d241b2516.jpg

234738syracuse-bodog-girl.jpg

large.jpg

10809808_750813451640817_503558950_n.jpg

d86c59741c43754130e63a9372f0cb92.jpg

7168-a-beautiful-woman-posing-with-a-basketball-pv.jpg

I know, not in keeping with the theme, but damn..
seahawks-fans-5.jpg

WGAFF, but f*ck off this is my exercise and I'm starting a thread to evaluate how I'm doing. I invite all interested to comment or evaluate their own. Perhaps this is better suited for the water cooler, but I prefer the AOTF so let the punishment begin.

Ok, first lets review Maslow's sequence of eight that reflect human development from infancy to adulthood. These needs supposedly evolve from the most basic human need to the most advanced, and those needs that are the most basic almost always take priority over the more advanced ones. The basic needs are more prominent in children; middle-level needs are common in adults; and higher-level needs emerge only in a few adults, often in those who are intellectually advanced. I'm pretty sure I'm functioning more as a child, but for the sake of this evaluation I will continue....

The Foundation - Four Basic Needs

Level 1 - Food and Water - I would say considering how fat I am right now I've got this one more than covered and it was never an issue with my parent's either. We always had food on the table and never went hungry. CHECK

Level 2 - Safety - For the most part as a child I felt safe. We never had an alarm in the house, we lived in a fairly safe neighborhood and my parents never projected the idea to me that we weren't safe. Not until I started watching the news and became acutely aware of the cold war and the threat of nuclear war did I start to feel unsafe, but living in America I felt my safety for the most part was never in jeopardy. I suppose as an adult 9/11 changed this feeling a little bit, but for the most part this basic need has been met. As for my day to day feelings of safety at school, I was never bullied and if I did have confrontation I was always pretty secure in how to talk myself out of a confrontation. This is a rather important skill if you know you'll get your ass beat. CHECK

Level 3 - Belonging and Love - This is where things start to get a bit murky. While the love from my parents and family has never been debatable, that doesn't mean I ever really felt I fit in. Being the youngest of only two siblings I was definitely the black sheep of the family. I sought the path less traveled by my brother and parents. My food and drink selections have always been different, my taste in music differed my parents love of classical music, and while my parents seem to keep emotions in check I tend to wear my emotions on my sleeves. I suppose my self-imposed differences created my need to find acceptance elsewhere. I think you can find belonging within groups of peers, but if your parents never really accept and embrace your differences then you've got some mommy and daddy issues. Again I know my rents' love me, but I'm pretty sure I've got some mommy/daddy issues that have never completely been resolved. I would say .5 CHECK

Level 4 - Needs for esteem (i.e recognition, respect, achievement, competence, approval) - yea, I'm kinda ****ed here. I was such a mamma's boy and rarely given the opportunity for mastery, that when I did face adversity I often sought the help from others rather than tackling problems myself. This definitely rears it's ugly head today when there's something that needs to be fixed in my house or there's a difficult subject that I'm facing. I'm often seeking help from others or approval when I have done something on my own. My lack of independence as a child most certainly has affected my adulthood self-esteem. This is something I'm very aware of and because of this I'm trying to actively instill independence within my 3 children. Maybe if I instill this need within my kids I can check this off the list, but as of now.....FAIL

....Ok so those are the four basic needs.....I would say I'm somewhat stuck within a child's needs, but I will continue for the sake of this exercise....

The Advanced Levels - Four Growth Needs
So Maslow says when the four basic needs have been met to a reasonable degree, the child is ready to act upon the next four levels, which he terms "growth" needs. These allow the individual to continue learning, maturing, and developing both mentally and emotionally.

Level 5 - Needs to Know and Understand (i.e learning, understanding and exploring) - I believe I have a desire to learn and explore, but I think my inability to master and seek answers for myself has gotten in the way of my ability to master this growth need. FAIL

Level 6 - Aesthetic Needs (i.e symmetry, order, beauty) - Another epic fail here. I have a great love for music and creative writing and the arts in general, but my lack of being able to create some type of art for myself has always been a problem. I feel until I write a book, a song, a collection of poems, I will not be satisfied with my own creative endeavors. It's not enough for me just to appreciate the art of others, I feel a deep need to create an original work of my own. I need to learn to engage in activities that give me great pleasure. I suppose this activity is a step in the right direction....still I give myself a failing grade

Level 7 - Self-Actualization needs (i.e self-fulfillment, realizing one's potential) - given that I haven't mastered level 6, this is a pretty easy one to answer. Wouldn't it be wonderful to reach this pinnacle of achievement though?

Level 8 - Self-Transcendence Needs (helping others reach their potential, improving the world) - It's actually kind of funny how I tend to value this need more than my own. I guess it's kind of a self-sacrifice and I wonder how affective I can be at it without obtaining mastery of the previous 7 levels. It is self gratifying though to help others and a boost to ones self-esteem. For now I'll give myself a CHECK

I don't really feel the need to write a review, I suppose it speaks for itself. I would say just because all my levels haven't been met doesn't mean I'm ****ed for life. I haven't given up on mastering Maslow's ladder, but just in case I never do, **** you Maslow and your goddam levels.

I'm off to listen to some Chis Stapleton.....**** you too TMP. You can go ahead and like my post now C-$, you're much better at pissing him off than I am. As for the rest of you prepared to rip me a new one.....yea, I probably deserve it. But **** off anyways.....anyone for some fantasy golf this week?

I was born inside of @T.M.P.'s head.

I was born inside of @T.M.P.'s head.

Is it true that he's hung like a flea?

It even rhymes.....TMP...he's hung like a flea!

I figure it explains his irrational hatred of......everything. I picture a sad little brown man, unkempt, skinny, tweezers in his pocket for when he needs to take a piss with not a true friend to be found on earth.

All of that said, I'm sure he's a swell fella IRL. And I even share some of his viewpoints.

ADVERTISEMENT