ADVERTISEMENT

"Hopefully, you will give me credit."

What we have to realize is the Kim family believes negotiations never end. Once any negotiation ends, it is time to renegotiate.
That's a fact. By the way, after nearly finishing "Brothers at War: The Unending Conflict in Korea," I can recommend it. It's a very good overview of the entire war, in terms of US and international political terms, without the focus on the individual battles - though it does mention all of them.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Here's a serious question - how can you possibly have nearly as many likes as you have posts? Based on what I've seen, you should have, oh, maybe six likes.
He was a consummate Crean basher on the bball board. Lots of likes don't necessarily mean one posts good content (my high ratio notwithstanding).

That's a fact. By the way, after nearly finishing "Brothers at War: The Unending Conflict in Korea," I can recommend it. It's a very good overview of the entire war, in terms of US and international political terms, without the focus on the individual battles - though it does mention all of them.
Thanks, I will add it to my kindle.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Well regardless, he made it happen. They are talking. It is good. I have family in Seoul. Things are positive.... he brought him to the table. It doesn’t excuse things. But he did .....

How did Trump bring Kim to the table? From the outside, it appears SK did all the legwork.

My Master Guns had a service ribbon from Korea and had more time in than the Sgt Maj of the Marine Corps in 1991. My father and Uncles served in Korea. My Uncle Eddie just pasted away and served in both WWII and Korea... he was an original Frogman in WWII which lead to the Seals.... tough SOB. He has been approved for burial in Arlington ....we are very proud. Dad was on a Destroyer. Anyway... the guys served and did their duty that was asked of them.... underestimated? Eh.... many things play into that conflict. Love reading about it

Here's a serious question - how can you possibly have nearly as many likes as you have posts? Based on what I've seen, you should have, oh, maybe six likes.
I just gave him another one. Feed the beast and it will entertain.

I just gave him another one. Feed the beast and it will entertain.
I have a different theory. Mine is that he has two identities and that he likes his own posts. Seriously, he's posted little to like and yet he has nearly 100 percent likes. Something is not quite right with that. :)

Well regardless, he made it happen. They are talking. It is good. I have family in Seoul. Things are positive.... he brought him to the table. It doesn’t excuse things. But he did .....
DJT is in far more over his head with Kim than he's been with Nieto. Trump is going to get depantsed . . . every way possible.

Trump and Kim meeting. I don't see how that ends well.

I think it ends the way these always do. We get lip service on concessions so we can claim victory. The North Koreans get to look big time for their people and possibly get a reduction in the new economic sanctions.

The next President finds out they were cheating all along and now have actually taken another step down the nuclear road.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

My Master Guns had a service ribbon from Korea and had more time in than the Sgt Maj of the Marine Corps in 1991. My father and Uncles served in Korea. My Uncle Eddie just pasted away and served in both WWII and Korea... he was an original Frogman in WWII which lead to the Seals.... tough SOB. He has been approved for burial in Arlington ....we are very proud. Dad was on a Destroyer. Anyway... the guys served and did their duty that was asked of them.... underestimated? Eh.... many things play into that conflict. Love reading about it

Some of the toughest folk that have ever trod the planet fought there (Korea 1950-53).

Two friends of my father were Medal of Honor recipients (Col. Barber [then Capt.] and Sgt. Kennemore) both at the Chosin Reservoir.

Met Col. Barber in DC many years ago.
He told my father (also a Marine) he didn't think he had done anything special and that any other Marine officer given similar circumstances would have done the same thing... Barber was in command of Fox Company at the Toktong Pass. He and his men held the Pass open for 5 nights against overwhelming odds. Right up there with Thermopylae type heroism...

From the Pusan Perimeter, to Inchon, to the liberation of Seoul, to holding the hottest spot in the line in the Hill Fights right before the Armistice the USMC bought South Koreas freedom with blood. No country on the planet owes them more (doubt many of them know it these days)...

Edit: it was 5 days and 6 nights (the Chinese attacked at night)

Last edited:
Trump and Kim meeting. I don't see how that ends well.
I approve of the meeting. I am very doubtful there will be a breakthrough, but I don't see how things can get worse. I think both talk tough but neither actually wants a war. The worst that can happen is they hate each other and never speak which is where we are now.

Some of the toughest folk that have ever trod the planet fought there (Korea 1950-53).

Two friends of my father were Medal of Honor recipients (Col. Barber [then Capt.] and Sgt. Kennemore) both at the Chosin Reservoir.

Met Col. Barber in DC many years ago.
He told my father (also a Marine) he didn't think he had done anything special and that any other Marine officer given similar circumstances would have done the same thing... Barber was in command of Fox Company at the Toktong Pass. He and his men held the Pass open for 5 nights against overwhelming odds. Right up there with Thermopylae type heroism...

From the Pusan Perimeter, to Inchon, to the liberation of Seoul, to holding the hottest spot in the line in the Hill Fights right before the Armistice the USMC bought South Koreas freedom with blood. No country on the planet owes them more (doubt many of them know it these days)...

Well, I know the Armistice didn’t allow Marines to be stationed in the Country permanently. I was with a 5-7 man team that was stationed in Pohang which was part of the Pusan perimeter (I trained Korean Marines for a year and worked/moved with UN assets around the country). Our cook Mr. Cho , was a child during the Korean War and watched from the hills as both sides artilleried each other.... it was interesting to hear him talk.

EDIT: we lived for an entire year with the 2nd Korean Marine Division on their base

Marines to this day are like movie stars there. I know I’m on many a mantle... I gave a pre-written speech for a dinner in my Blues with the ambassador and Korean commandant in attendance. I still have the personal gifts..... I met my wife that weekend.

I approve of the meeting. I am very doubtful there will be a breakthrough, but I don't see how things can get worse. I think both talk tough but neither actually wants a war. The worst that can happen is they hate each other and never speak which is where we are now.

It’s a win for Trump.... he can either de-escalate after the meeting claiming positive results or he holds to his guns and doubles down.... history says he will double down.

I'm playing stand-up comedian in this thread.

It is so hard to tell anymore.

If Kim's grandfather is any indication, this will be a long process. In the original Armistace talks the North Koreans demanded everything be negotiated. The height of the flags and their order was one example. I saw a documentary where US representatives spoke about the vigorous debate on chair height. Americans tended to be taller, if both sides sat at the same chairs the North Koreans would look up. After a long negotiation, an agreement was made and the chairs purchased. Then the North Koreans snuck in and sawed down the legs of the American chairs to make the Americans have to look up.

Every aspect was a negotiation and the North had to believe it was winning every one. China and Russia had grown weary of the war, but Kim believed himself every bit their equal and would not be pressured to speed things up.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Well, I know the Armistice didn’t allow Marines to be stationed in the Country permanently. I was with a 5-7 man team that was stationed in Pohang which was part of the Pusan perimeter (I trained Korean Marines for a year and worked/moved with UN assets around the country). Our cook Mr. Cho , was a child during the Korean War and watched from the hills as both sides artilleried each other.... it was interesting to hear him talk.

EDIT: we lived for an entire year with the 2nd Korean Marine Division on their base

Marines to this day are like movie stars there. I know I’m on many a mantle... I gave a pre-written speech for a dinner in my Blues with the ambassador and Korean commandant in attendance. I still have the personal gifts..... I met my wife that weekend.

Good to hear that people still remember. I figured everyone but the older population had forgotten...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT