ADVERTISEMENT

Hoosiers will face Minnesota at 5 pm ET today

Bottom 8th: Stemper singles to center. Smith singles to right, advancing Stemper to second. Pettersen singles off a bunt, loading the bases.

Pitching change for Indiana: Junior righty Kade Kryzsko replaces Herrin.

With Kryzsko on the mound, Ben Mezzenga pinch-hits for Traxler and hits a 2-RBI double that ricochets off first base and into right field. Pinch-hitting for Boxwell, Eduardo Estrada sends a three-run home run deep to right.

Kozicky strikes out looking. Vavra strikes out looking. Coffey flies out to center.

Minnesota 9, Indiana 8 heading into T9.

Top 9th: Lloyd singles up the middle. Laren Eustace will pinch-run for him.

Pitching change for Minnesota: Junior righty Fred Manke replaces Shannon.

With Manke on the mound, Miller walks. Dedelow hits a sac-fly to center, advancing Eustace to third. But Miller gets tagged out at second. Sowers strikes out swinging.

FINAL: Minnesota 9, Indiana 8

Ugh. The bullpen has been pretty horrific all year long. Main reason why we won't go anywhere in the tournament. But, we should be in, and I'm happy to make it.

It's the same 8th inning that killed us early in the year. I thought we overcame it. But someone might want to look into an 8 men out situation with Luke Miller against Minnesota. That's twice for him where he screwed us on the base paths. (Although the first one was a bad call, could have still been avoided if he didn't move his upper body until he left the base.)

I think that IU waited way too long to replace the pitchers in both of Minny's big innings. You could see both times that the pitcher that was in, Saalfrank then Herrin, was tired and losing control long before they were pulled. Then you bring a kid into an impossible situation to try to bail out a poor coaching call imho.

The worse luck was that grounder that hit the first base bag. That would have been an easy out but let the winning run score on the HR.

It's the same 8th inning that killed us early in the year. I thought we overcame it. But someone might want to look into an 8 men out situation with Luke Miller against Minnesota. That's twice for him where he screwed us on the base paths. (Although the first one was a bad call, could have still been avoided if he didn't move his upper body until he left the base.)
Yes, that was pretty bad base running by Miller. The Minny guy made a very good play cutting that ball off to catch him, but he should not have been trying to tag from first on a fly to short center field. Dumb base running.

Ugh. The bullpen has been pretty horrific all year long. Main reason why we won't go anywhere in the tournament. But, we should be in, and I'm happy to make it.
It is a quite young team. Especially the pitchers. Making a tourney appearance will be great experience for these kids. We have a lot coming back next year so we could be very good. Have to find replacements for Butler and Dedilow though.

Reactions: RBB89
I think that IU waited way too long to replace the pitchers in both of Minny's big innings. You could see both times that the pitcher that was in, Saalfrank then Herrin, was tired and losing control long before they were pulled. Then you bring a kid into an impossible situation to try to bail out a poor coaching call imho.

I thought Saalfrank should've been replaced prior to the sixth inning.

I thought Saalfrank should've been replaced prior to the sixth inning.
Yes, I was sitting with a good friend who is a former IU pitcher and we both agreed at the start of the sixth that they should have had someone up in the bull pen and ready. They could have pulled him then when he showed that he was losing his control and throwing too many fastballs up in the strike zone. I tend to think they have been too slow all year in that sense.

It is a quite young team. Especially the pitchers. Making a tourney appearance will be great experience for these kids. We have a lot coming back next year so we could be very good. Have to find replacements for Butler and Dedilow though.
Oh definitely, I'm very pleased with the state of the program.

Yes, I was sitting with a good friend who is a former IU pitcher and we both agreed at the start of the sixth that they should have had someone up in the bull pen and ready. They could have pulled him then when he showed that he was losing his control and throwing too many fastballs up in the strike zone. I tend to think they have been too slow all year in that sense.
Could that speak to a lack of confidence in the bullpen?

ADVERTISEMENT